• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

Sokantish

I don't get the hate you guys have for this version! It feels just like last years except they drop more passes and the kicking takes some getting used to, and apparently just doesn't work for some people? I haven't encountered that yet, I'm just bad at the new one. Maybe I just haven't played this year's version enough to dislike it as much as you guys

LukeSmith

I've been able to run fairly effectively this year with a decidedly mediocre/bad offensive line and no real talent at running back. I think you just need to be dedicated to the run, which no one in the league ever is.

I will say that shotgun draw and shotgun inside zone isn't the free yardage it was last year so that probably sucks for some people, but I never ran that anyway so it hasn't affected me.

I was ahead of the curve:

SB Doubles HB Dive was your play last year

I don't get the hate you guys have for this version! It feels just like last years except they drop more passes and the kicking takes some getting used to, and apparently just doesn't work for some people? I haven't encountered that yet, I'm just bad at the new one. Maybe I just haven't played this year's version enough to dislike it as much as you guys

I agree I still like the game

Ferny

Phee, that one Op with the star discs thing in R6 is bad ass man. Seems like the first Op I actually would spend 25k on.

Phee, that one Op with the star discs thing in R6 is bad ass man. Seems like the first Op I actually would spend 25k on.

It's badass, but isn't it basically Ash that can detonate?

I didn't try it enough to see if it worked against reinforced walls but I assume that's where its specialty comes into play best.

I've seen some people use the Brazilian attacker really well.

Ferny

I didn't try it enough to see if it worked against reinforced walls but I assume that's where its specialty comes into play best.

I forgot what that other Op does, but it creates bigger holes than Ash. And I think it does do something against reinforced walls but can't remember exactly.

Splat

I really like the Madden game on field this year too, unsure what exactly is throwing everyone off apart from tougher run yards. Does seem like we're not going past this season tho, so probably not gonna waste too much time scouting (even though drafting is the best part :( )

Since it was chatted about in Discord: Anyone with NHL, what's the NHL online franchise mode like? Can do you do shorter seasons like you used to be able to do in NHL2k, or do you have to do a full 82?

Since it was chatted about in Discord: Anyone with NHL, what's the NHL online franchise mode like? Can do you do shorter seasons like you used to be able to do in NHL2k, or do you have to do a full 82?

I don't even think it exists but I'll check in a second. I think they put all their resources into EASHL....and it shows because it is really really good.

Yeah I think the issues with this game are HFA and development. Running is difficult but I think it's an improvement. I like the game a lot overall. Shame if we don't get 3 seasons. Maybe we should slow down the pace of the league if people are getting burned out?

I really wanted to build something of a roster before we end this :(

FMT has been too kind to me over the years for me to do this.

This season was just for him!

Thank you brother

Yeah I think the issues with this game are HFA and development. Running is difficult but I think it's an improvement. I like the game a lot overall. Shame if we don't get 3 seasons. Maybe we should slow down the pace of the league if people are getting burned out?

I really wanted to build something of a roster before we end this :(

Its not about burning out, people just don't like it. I actually love on the field but the HFA and weird glitches put a damper on it. I hope the don't scrap some of the positive improvements they made

Birdman02

We need to get a full squad going sometime soon.

I love more fumbles.

I don't get the QB sack-fumble complaints. I only remember having maybe 1-2 over the 2 seasons, and I don't think I've forced more than a couple either. Granted, those were definitely game changing. I think some people just hold the ball too damn long. You just have to get the ball out quicker...hopefully to someone on your team.

Most of my complaints are due to the fact that the Bears are terrible. I actually kind of like the gameplay this year. Unfortunately, family drama prevented me from putting much time into the game other than my actual league games, but that's all pretty much over now.

The XP and progression are pretty stupid though.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
CxzSMt3VIAAEjjz.jpg

Awesome

DJ Bowser

I really like the on-field game this year. It took a little getting used to with the DBs now being worthwhile in zone coverage, but that's more realistic. Run game is tougher, but I shouldn't have been rushing for 1,400 yards with Christine Micheal running inside zones and tosses (and the occasional trap) last year. QB fumbles are annoying, likely an overcompensation for them never happening last year.

In-game confidence is a little OP'd, but overall I'd say it's a better game than last year.

ohhhhhh yeah, thats ringing bells.

GOD DAMN MARISSA TOMEI!

What is the XP issue everyone is complaining about? The dev dropoff after age 26?

Not just the age drop off, the relative cost of improvement of certain attributes. It is basically impossible to raise an offensive lineman from 70 to 80 in run or pass blocking attributes.

Also the rate of ratings drop off post 26 makes the shitty growth rates even more painful.

Splat

People still improve after 26 just slower, and then physical attributes start regressing at 28. It's not like we run the league long enough that our drafted rookies would hit that wall anyway? My rookie LT from this season is already up to like 89 pass block after starting at ~79 due to focused training.

brentech

People still improve after 26 just slower, and then physical attributes start regressing at 28. It's not like we run the league long enough that our drafted rookies would hit that wall anyway? My rookie LT from this season is already up to like 89 pass block after starting at ~79 due to focused training.

No one said rookie development was a problem.
There are a lot of guys in the league that are MUCH better at 28 than they were at 24, particularly lineman on either side of the ball, and that's basically impossible.

Splat

No one said rookie development was a problem.
There are a lot of guys in the league that are MUCH better at 28 than they were at 24, particularly lineman on either side of the ball, and that's basically impossible.

But in madden 17, you'd have big gains from 24->26 and smaller (but still positive) gains from 26->28. So you'd definitely be much better at 28 than 24?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Not just the age drop off, the relative cost of improvement of certain attributes. It is basically impossible to raise an offensive lineman from 70 to 80 in run or pass blocking attributes.

Also the rate of ratings drop off post 26 makes the shitty growth rates even more painful.

I like that you quoted him from days ago for no reason.

GameStop is doing 50% bonus starting tomorrow FYI

So around 37.50 without a pro card. $40 with pro card.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can we just all agree to end the league tonight!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Yeah, I could use that money to buy fricken GTAV again, cause those fuckers won't let me transfer over my digital games to my PS4Pro. Bought before I got hacked and lost the old account. Games still work on the original PS4 :/

I buy digital, so

let's play another 2 seasons

You made a serious mistake buying digital, as does anyone else.

I forgot to hit refresh on my work computer before posting :(

Mike Tanier
‏@MikeTanier
Thought experiment:
Dak Prescott with Jeff Janis and Nelson Agholor at WR, the #Seahawks line and the #Rams coaches.

Greg

it's always been easy to exploit speed/acc as a RB in Madden though

who would've thought that coupled with even more stats in the 90s a guy could be successful!

Greg

I've seen you run in last year's version though - you did spin moves in the backfield!

in addition to screens and swing passes, you must only call runs up the middle while completely avoiding the middle and your blockers

and make sure you run at 90 degrees for 15 yards before you cut up field or else the AI can actually pursue you!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I ran ok (up the middle) in the 1st 2 games.

Then I ran into people with defenses and Ingram got hurt, not that he could outrun anyone.

Everytime I think of running with Spiller, I just think of his carry rating of "shit"

DJ Bowser

in addition to screens and swing passes, you must only call runs up the middle while completely avoiding the middle and your blockers

and make sure you run at 90 degrees for 15 yards before you cut up field or else the AI can actually pursue you!

Thanks for the tips... time to have a run game!

Sokantish

LJ, I'll be leaving at around 7pm cst tomorrow and won't be back until Saturday. So hopefully we can get this game in today or early tomorrow

Somnia I think you mentioned you'd be available after 6 CT just let me know when you're around, I'll be doing errands around the house and will be checking in periodically

Somnia

Somnia I think you mentioned you'd be available after 6 CT just let me know when you're around, I'll be doing errands around the house and will be checking in periodically

Just got home a bit ago and can play whenever. Let's get this shit show over so I can debate on trading the game in!

Top Bottom