• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Neo-Gaf Madden 360 Season 8 Thread: United by John, Divided by Lag

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I've actively tried to curtail my bitching, but last night both Lonestar and I were extremely frustrated to the point where both of us were just going to drop the league entirely. After sleeping on it I feel better.

Madden leagues have been a big part of not only my winter, but all the vets that have played in these leagues. I think tonight I will scan some pages from my notebook just to show how much effort I do put into these leagues. The gameplan for Lonestar actually got way out of hand so I had decided to cut the shit and just play him last night for my own sanity. :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've always heard of this master notebook of yours.

How detail IS this thing? I don't have 2-3 pages, right....RIGHT?

It should be "runs on first, pass on 2nd, pass on 3rd, cusses and whines, punts...maybe" :lol

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
FrenchMovieTheme said:
fellas i know there are connection issues and lag issues and so on, and if i could fix them i would. but the game is what it is and we have to deal with it. if you don't want to play in the league i don't want you to feel obligated.......... madden 07 360 isn't perfect, but it is all we have on the football front right now so lets make the most of it.

thank you and goodnight!

FMT I guess it's not really said because we assume it goes understood. The majority of us (if not all of us) immensely appreciate what you do for the leagues you hold. The league daddy page is awesome, your immediate feedback is always on key and your attitude about the league is supurb as well. I personally just wanted to add in a thank you because all problems with the madden league are issues you have no control over. Everything you do have control over however has turned out perfect. I do want to say however you are not exempt for the force that is the SMAP in week 15.

terrelllaughslolve6.jpg

Lonestar said:

It should be "runs on first, pass on 2nd, pass on 3rd, cusses and whines, punts...maybe" :lol

I wonder why we aren't playing each other in the league. You're closer to me geographically than anyone and we've never had so much as a hitch in our 5 or so games.

Lonestar

mmlemay said:
I wonder why we aren't playing each other in the league. You're closer to me geographically than anyone and we've never had so much as a hitch in our 5 or so games.

Yeah....

FMT, why is that? :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lonestar said:

I have two pages on you and am planning on amending some things. Problem with the thing now is that with Madden 07 on 360, some people are playing me vastly different than before. I played one game with DM and all he did was run, passed five times. Before, he and I would play and he would pass 30+ times a game.

Did you notice yesterday when you and I were talking that I mentioned you switching Ashworth over to RT and him being rated 81 overall at that position as opposed to 86 (I think) at his native LT? The level of detail varies with how much I have played the one person, how much of a threat they are to beating me, and if I got around to writing shit down right after playing the person or if I waited a few days. For example, I played Vumpler the other day and I did write up some stuff for him, but it only came out to about a page and a half worth of notes because I waited 3 or so days. The person who I had by far the most stuff on was Matrix when he used the Ravens. The asswhooping he gave me in our first game that season was what caused me to begin this.

BTW, you made a fatal mistake by admitting you put Jones over there instead and then telling me his rating. :lol

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:
I have two pages on you and am planning on amending some things. Problem with the thing now is that with Madden 07 on 360, some people are playing me vastly different than before. I played one game with DM and all he did was run, passed five times. Before, he and I would play and he would pass 30+ times a game.

Did you notice yesterday when you and I were talking that I mentioned you switching Ashworth over to RT and him being rated 81 overall at that position as opposed to 86 (I think) at his native LT? The level of detail varies with how much I have played the one person, how much of a threat they are to beating me, and if I got around to writing shit down right after playing the person or if I waited a few days. For example, I played Vumpler the other day and I did write up some stuff for him, but it only came out to about a page and a half worth of notes because I waited 3 or so days. The person who I had by far the most stuff on was Matrix when he used the Ravens. The asswhooping he gave me in our first game that season was what caused me to begin this.

BTW, you made a fatal mistake by admitting you put Jones over there instead and then telling me his rating. :lol
I wonder what souting report is like :p

DCX

Rorschach

Wellington said:
:lol You must have missed the Martin years.

LOL Truelize is still avoiding me...don't worry, True, you can log into aim and xbl and stuff. I won't ask you to play. I'm not going to hunt you down. When you're ready you come to me. I'm available today even though I know you won't play me. Tomorrow, I'll probably get home around 7PST. Sunday is busy for me with real football. I watch like 13 hrs of football and then watch the highlights and commentary about the games I just watched. It's pretty sad, actually. And I usually watch the Raider games at my local pub.

FMT: Jimminy Christmas. I was joking about the PS2 league. I know that there aren't enough people and constantly switching between games would throw me off. I do have both versions and I do think the PS2 version is vastly superior, but I've never flaked anything. Also, vumpler is right, we all apreciate what you're doing and I am not hating the game as much as I was in the beginning. I'd even sign up for season 2 if people would actually play me. Why is everyone so scurrrd? I'm a creampuff!

[edit] Wellington gave up on my scouting report because I'm so unpredictable! Anyway, what can you write down to help you when you know I'm gonna run, you pick a play against the run, and you still can't stop it? :D

Lonestar

Well, CK, I'd like to know my scouting report, because I randomly pick plays. It's all blind luck!

Only moving OLine around because EA's ****ed my Right tackle position. Locklear still is a 69. He's not great, probably not 80 even...but 69. The other RT is 69 as well. Could move around Chris Spencer as well, or Tobeck.

Does my scouting report say something like "doesn't run outside much" because even I notice that.

My scouting report on CK is this: Gap and Osi suck, because they kill me everytime. **** Pierce, he's too fast to tackle. Tiki runs to the outside for 800 yards a game, and Eli makes strange faces, even in the game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wellington said:

So that is why I never beat you? You have notes on playstyles on everyone? Wow man. That is prepared.
I kinda have notes too though. Like when Matrix throws long on the right side I'm always like "dang I knew he was gonna do that sooner or later, I guess I should have put a defender over there for that." :D

LiveWire

As far as lag goes, we all know EA servers blow. That's something we can't change. But, lately I've had a bunch of perfect, lag-free games against 2 league opponents. I've also had extremely laggy and early disconnect games too.

To summarize, I think there are 3 possible outcomes when we play games:

1.) Perfect or near-perfect, lag-free experience.
2.) Laggy all game long, sometimes to the point of being unplayable, but usually never a total disconnect.
3.) Early disconnects (anywhere from kickoff to halftime).

I don't know if this has already been proposed or done, but perhaps we should have everyone list their location (by time zone and state) and connection type. Then we should all hook up and try to play one practice game against each other and determine who is having the biggest issues playing (for example, Lonestar and CK seem to have issues, I know that FMT and rorshach have both been laggy in games with me).

This doesn't eliminate the possibility of players meeting in the season who have unfriendly net connections, but if we can narrow down the problem areas maybe we can figure out what's causing the lag (aside from EA's crappy servers/ridiculous insistence on making us login through them so they can track our marketing info or whatever BS reason they demanded from Microsoft).

As others have attested themselves, I also have a lot of fun playing in this league. Hell, I'm having fun playing the Browns despite not being able to use my Redskins :) -- though given the craptacular performance on Monday night maybe I have a better chance with Charlie Frye and company! :lol

So I think we should try to grin and bear it. Or just get the Xbox version--oh wait, you suckers sold your damn Xboxes to get 360s! :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
Up the gut is the only way, bitches! Like a real man.

I do run up the gut, it's just that both those times Lone's D collapsed in, so I bounced out. 2 carries, 89 yards, and 2 TDs later I think I made the right calls.

what i dont understand is WHY is the 360 version so inconsistent/poor online. you can say "well its because it has to go thru XBL AND the EA server!" but then how do you explain the xbox version being relatively smooth? i wish EA would actually respond to these issues, but all they do is feed us bullshit about "oh well try this this and this to fix it" when its all ridiculous since we are using the SAME connection for ps2/xbox online madden games and not having lag.

and i didn't post above to get compliments or say "you guys dont appreciate this!" i'm just saying lets work with what we have. if there are enough people for a ps2 league i would go out today and buy the ps2 version and run concurrent leagues. but to my knowledge that isn't the case, so what is the alternative?

LiveWire

Well, the same issues occured during our first two seasons of Xbox Madden play too. I had 3 or 4 games of the 16-game season with lost stats and several others required me to record two separate halves of stats. Maybe by now they'd be gone in the Xbox 1 version, who knows.

Anyway, it seems to be just Madden, not even any other EA games that have this problem, and even then, it seems focused on just a few matchups. I'm baffled. Anyone know any network experts? :)

Oh, and I'll be around tonight if anyone wants to scrimmage, I need a lot of practice with the Browns.

but when you actually CONNECTED in madden xbox, the lag was pretty decent. and i take that back, there were problems with ps2 online as well ("connecting...." anyone?) but my main concern is when ps2/xbox games actually CONNECTED, the lag was pretty smooth.

and madden isn't the only problem. NCAA 07 for 360 had the same type of lag

Lonestar

Wellington said:
I do run up the gut, it's just that both those times Lone's D collapsed in, so I bounced out. 2 carries, 89 yards, and 2 TDs later I think I made the right calls.

It was funny. CK's very first 2 plays of that Abortion-of-a-Game were those touchdowns. The 2nd, a replay of the first. Same play, same Defense, same result. All in 3 FPS for me, anyway.

I'll be heading home shortly, wouldn't mind some scrimmage, just to see if the lag carries over between other people, like that game versus CK.

CK, when we try again, do you want to try pluggin straight into the cable modem and hosting again?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wellington said:
The person who I had by far the most stuff on was Matrix when he used the Ravens. The asswhooping he gave me in our first game that season was what caused me to begin this.

:lol

I'm the cause of everything 90% of the time in these leagues.

bluemax

Banned
Hey Vumpler, just to let you know I'm gonna be home probably around 8pm PST. I'm meeting with EA recruiters starting at 6, and apparently there's food being served at 7 so yeah. Depending upon how long that goes I should be home between 7:30 and 8pm.

Maybe I should ask the recruiters why 07 lags for some (not me!). These guys are from the sports division apparently...

Andokuky

Banned
PS2 version isn't perfect online either, the roster update that (finally) was released had some endzone bugs in it (can't comment further on them as I never seen them), plus the roster file froze the game any time you started a new franchise with it. So basically all of us who waited for EA to release the roster file to start a proper franchise were screwed total :lol So apparently EA has taken it down and restored the original rosters online. Is this crap going on in the 360 version too?

Rorschach

Andokuky said:
PS2 version isn't perfect online either, the roster update that (finally) was released had some endzone bugs in it (can't comment further on them as I never seen them), plus the roster file froze the game any time you started a new franchise with it. So basically all of us who waited for EA to release the roster file to start a proper franchise were screwed total :lol So apparently EA has taken it down and restored the original rosters online. Is this crap going on in the 360 version too?
They took down the rosters? THat was quick...I just played yesterday with the new rosters. Btw, in both the 360 and PS2 versions, the rosters are wrong, anyway. I'm not even talking about new trades, I'm talking about pre-season stuff.

Wellington said:

So what do you do when you've never played someone? Just gameplan the team they have and what you think they will do? Serious question.

vumpler

Ok bluemax don't puss out on me here :lol You're supposed to be here tonight and guess what? It's tonight lol.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
He said 8 pm pst in his post above :p

vumpler

DOH it was like 4 posts up to. What an ass I am. Anyway that's really Fing late. I guess I should take a nap.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
sableholic said:
So what do you do when you've never played someone? Just gameplan the team they have and what you think they will do? Serious question.

I check their stats in individual games for teams that are similar to mine, and I ask those that have already played the person.

Lonestar

when do you want another Laugh...I mean game CK? Currently waiting a few minutes before I hook the 360 to the modem again.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Wellington said:
Lag attack!

Looks like we will try again tomorrow as I am involved in a heated argument with my gf at the moment.

She chose the Eagles to win huh?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
vumpler said:
The wifey told me either win my game tonight or don't bother coming to bed
ugh2.gif

Cold: One time I was driving in the city and she mentioned she was cheering for the Eagles. I stopped the car and told her to get out.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Wellington said:

Cold: One time I was driving in the city and she mentioned she was cheering for the Eagles. I stopped the car and told her to get out.

Smart Woman

Arch: If you wanna try again tonight let me know. If it ends up being laggy like last night we'll just get it over with anyway.

bosevan

Hey dude its bonsevan, Jason told me that you wanted to play tonight sorry my phone died. AIM me in the next 30 min, fi you want to play tonight. AIM or XL me a time tomorrow and we can play then. Peace out.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't know Ror. The way you use Moss is freakin annoying. You throw 8 completions all game, 6 to him and he gets 223 yards recieving even though he was doubled 80% of the time. I saw you use the same (or similar) PA pass with Moss running long at least three times. And if you aren't throwing jump passes then Moss is just cheap cause he jumped on every single reception when their was a defender around. I really doubt out of your 16 passes if more than 3 went to players other than Moss. How can that be called simulation man?
I throw to 6 different receivers (5 of them have more than 2 receptions), that is more like what a real football game is like. Cause if the Colts were playing the Raiders that double team would have worked. And in this game it just doesn't.

I'm not calling you out and I'm not trying to start drama. It's just frustrating playing a good game and stopping you so many times in the redzone for you to keep going to your money play and getting away with it regardless of what the coverage is and how many people are around Moss.

Rorschach

Truelize said:
I don't know Ror. The way you use Moss is freakin annoying. You throw 8 completions all game, 6 to him and he gets 223 yards recieving even though he was doubled 80% of the time. I saw you use the same (or similar) PA pass with Moss running long at least three times. And if you aren't throwing jump passes then Moss is just cheap cause he jumped on every single reception when their was a defender around. I really doubt out of your 16 passes if more than 3 went to players other than Moss. How can that be called simulation man?
I throw to 6 different receivers (5 of them have more than 2 receptions), that is more like what a real football game is like. Cause if the Colts were playing the Raiders that double team would have worked. And in this game it just doesn't.

I'm not calling you out and I'm not trying to start drama. It's just frustrating playing a good game and stopping you so many times in the redzone for you to keep going to your money play and getting away with it regardless of what the coverage is and how many people are around Moss.
You want to talk sim? Let's talk about how many times you went for it on 4th down? How many times in your own territory? How many times in the first half? How many times was it fourth and long? Most of your passes were jump passes, mine were rainbows and bullets and two moss catches were a jump catches, but it was because brooks underthrew under pressure. You did double team Moss after you saw that he was a threat, but you didn't doubleteam him whenever you thought it was a running play. I used that to my advantage. Whenever I saw that you weren't double covering (your safety kept giving it away and you would sometimes take him out of position), I would change the play and take advantage. Yeah, the real Brooks wouldn't have even seen Moss, but if you want me to play like the real Raiders, then I'll just sit back and take my 9 sacks. My players dropped passes, your players wouldn't drop crap in tripple coverage even...and I don't know how the hell constantly Clark was outrunning Michael Huff...corner route?

Oh, and the PA to moss was run two times, but they were differnt plays. Didn't you notice one was Weak I and the other was I normal? Not like it matters since one was broken up and the other was completed.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Rorschach said:
You want to talk sim? Let's talk about how many times you went for it on 4th down? How many times in your own territory? How many times in the first half? How many times was it fourth and long? Most of your passes were jump passes, mine were rainbows and bullets and two moss catches were a jump catches, but it was because brooks underthrew under pressure. You did double team Moss after you saw that he was a threat, but you didn't doubleteam him whenever you thought it was a running play. I used that to my advantage. Whenever I saw that you weren't double covering (your safety kept giving it away and you would sometimes take him out of position), I would change the play and take advantage. Yeah, the real Brooks wouldn't have even seen Moss, but if you want me to play like the real Raiders, then I'll just sit back and take my 9 sacks. My players dropped passes, your players wouldn't drop crap in tripple coverage even...and I don't know how the hell constantly Clark was outrunning Michael Huff...corner route?

Oh, and the PA to moss was run two times, but they were differnt plays. Didn't you notice one was Weak I and the other was I normal? Not like it matters since one was broken up and the other was completed.

Whoa, don't get defensive man. I told you, not trying to start drama.
I went for it on 4th once in the first half cause it was fourth and inches (yes it was in my own zone, that was a risk I was willing to take). It was inches, which usually equals a lock. I took the risk and got the first down. I had kicked my last two possesions and the 3rd down play was a reception that should have been a first down but the reciever was tackled and then dragged back by the great momentum system. I was not deliberately throwing jump passes at all though, honest. If you recall I threw at least 2 balls right over a recievers head and they didn't even try for it. I think the jumping has more to do with Manning having a rocket and the recievers not being in perfect position to catch the ball. I threw behind the reciever a couple of times and got the nice spin catch animation (that one boggles me).
K I went for it on 4th 4 times. Twice in the first half, one time in my own end (described above) and once on like your 35 yard line. I can't kick from there and it's no use punting. I'm comfortable with you getting the ball on your 35 if I don't convert the 4th down. That was a good call and one I'll make everytime. I don't have your kicker. The other two times were in the 4th quarter when it was do or die time. Would you have kicked it? I was down 8. I needed a TD and a 2 point conversion. Sucks that I didn't at least get the TD the tension would have been crazy.

I mean I played freakin hurry-up trying to do something new to confuse you. It worked a couple of times and other times I was on my back.

I wish I could figure out a way to double a WR without it being freakin obvious. And I still after all these years do NOT know how to throw a rainbow pass. I watch everyone I play against do it and I can't figure it out.

It was still a good game. It's just frustrating being on the other end of Moss man. Cause it really does feel like I can slow you down everywhere else but I can't do anything to even contain him. I mean look at your average receptions with him, it's 37.1. Baffling.

Hmm. I see a gauntlet. It looks as if it has been thrown down...

:lol :lol

not taking sides, but in rors defense you SHOULD be scared of moss. i was burned a couple times when i played him, and then ALL GAME LONG i played off of that son of a bitch. does it suck? you bet your sweet vagina it does. but hey, that's why there are player ratings. you should have to account for moss. he SHOULD compromise your defense. i love to play against that because it is a constant gamble.

anyhow, the curse of the colts continues

Rorschach

Truelize said:
Whoa, don't get defensive man. I told you, not trying to start drama.
I went for it on 4th once in the first half cause it was fourth and inches (yes it was in my own zone, that was a risk I was willing to take). It was inches, which usually equals a lock. I took the risk and got the first down. I had kicked my last two possesions and the 3rd down play was a reception that should have been a first down but the reciever was tackled and then dragged back by the great momentum system. I was not deliberately throwing jump passes at all though, honest. If you recall I threw at least 2 balls right over a recievers head and they didn't even try for it. I think the jumping has more to do with Manning having a rocket and the recievers not being in perfect position to catch the ball. I threw behind the reciever a couple of times and got the nice spin catch animation (that one boggles me).
K I went for it on 4th 4 times. Twice in the first half, one time in my own end (described above) and once on like your 35 yard line. I can't kick from there and it's no use punting. I'm comfortable with you getting the ball on your 35 if I don't convert the 4th down. That was a good call and one I'll make everytime. I don't have your kicker. The other two times were in the 4th quarter when it was do or die time. Would you have kicked it? I was down 8. I needed a TD and a 2 point conversion. Sucks that I didn't at least get the TD the tension would have been crazy.

I mean I played freakin hurry-up trying to do something new to confuse you. It worked a couple of times and other times I was on my back.

I wish I could figure out a way to double a WR without it being freakin obvious. And I still after all these years do NOT know how to throw a rainbow pass. I watch everyone I play against do it and I can't figure it out.

It was still a good game. It's just frustrating being on the other end of Moss man. Cause it really does feel like I can slow you down everywhere else but I can't do anything to even contain him. I mean look at your average receptions with him, it's 37.1. Baffling.
No worries. btw, you don't have my kicker, you have someone 5x as good...money man Vinatieri. o_O

I'll show you next time you're online how to throw those rainbows...it's easy once you get used to it, just requires touch and timing.

[edit] Oh, and I had to keep 2 men on Harrison he's just as good as Moss...the problem? Wayne, Clark and even Utech can all burn my defense.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
:lol :lol

not taking sides, but in rors defense you SHOULD be scared of moss. i was burned a couple times when i played him, and then ALL GAME LONG i played off of that son of a bitch. does it suck? you bet your sweet vagina it does. but hey, that's why there are player ratings. you should have to account for moss. he SHOULD compromise your defense. i love to play against that because it is a constant gamble.

anyhow, the curse of the colts continues

I know, I know. It's still frustrating. I don't feel like I've gotten any better at this game since I started playing with you guys.

FMT: There are two players missing from my available roster in league daddy.
I'm missing:
Koby Chapman HB - he's my kick returner
Johnaton Wells FB

Can they be added?

Ror: I guess I'm just used to having the Falcons kicker. I've never completed a 50 yard FG in Madden yet. So I shy away from those.

bluemax

Banned
vumpler said:
Ok bluemax don't puss out on me here :lol You're supposed to be here tonight and guess what? It's tonight lol.

I didn't puss out, I was talking to the EA recruiter trying to secure myself an internship this summer!

I also won a free copy of Madden 360 because I could name a song from the soundtrack haha (one of the four people in charge of EA Trax was there as well).

Anywho, dominating performance. I really wanted to put up some points and show a bit more than what I did. That's my worst GAF loss yet (albeit only my second). It's clear who the class of the, um what division are we now? Oh AFC East? Always changing, haha.

This was the first game I've noticed lag, probably cause it's the first game I didn't host, er wait did I host the Pittsburgh one? Hmm, I don't recall. Haha maybe that's my thing I can't win on the road, ugh.

Edit: Haha, I got an achievement for being shut out! The All Madden Shut Out Achievement, wtf!

vumpler

bluemax said:
I didn't puss out, I was talking to the EA recruiter trying to secure myself an internship this summer!

Sounds like a sweet gig. Good game today. The lag was hardly noticable. Rivers just wasn't working for you today. I can tell the next time we play it won't be so one sided. See you at the end of the season!

Zep

Banned
Man, talk about some shitty lag...Well Evan and I had it. It cleared up in the 2nd half, he just needs to run the ball more...My pass defense is to damn good.

vumpler

DaddyZ said:
Man, talk about some shitty lag...Well Evan and I had it. It cleared up in the 2nd half, he just needs to run the ball more...My pass defense is to damn good.

Yeah I got to hear about the lag over private chat during your game. Max and I were playing our game at the same time. It's such a bunch of shit how it will lag some times hardcore in the first half and then the whole second half it doesn't lag at all. Makes no sense. I can't wait to rip your pass D up. When we getting a game noob sauce?

Top Bottom