• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Neo-Gaf Madden 360 Season 8 Thread: United by John, Divided by Lag

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
new week is up! go crazy

also, truelize, konex told me you hate madden now. if you don't want to play in the league just state as such so i can find a replacement. i won't be mad at you chum, but it would help me to know
The curse was too much!

Matrix said:
Carr? Maybe in real life.

Play my week 8 game against FMT for me and get back to me ;)
There are no cones in real life. ;b

Yeah, I've dealt with Carr a lot since that's MiG's team. And yeah, he's better in every regard than Brooks. 2/3 passes will be underthrown by Brooks. Sometimes, it's not even about under/overthrowing...he just throws it nowhere near a receiver even with the cone bonus...I rarely have enough time to switch my cone because someone's in my face right after the snap, so sometimes I have to just throw to someone else. And at least you have Andre Johnson...for some reason, Moss doesn't want to catch footballs this season. And you also have a decent Kick/Punt return man. Everyone of my guys fumbles the ball, so I rarely return anything unless I know I can make it to the sidelines. Middle returns are impossible. Whitted fumbled 4 times today and he's my returner with the surest hands!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
AJ is ass in the 360 version,look at me league stats.

Ive dropped so many wide open passes to him it not even funny,some in the endzone too.I think he leads the league or is 2nd in dropped passes.My game against Malley which we didnt get full stats cause the game dropped,he dropped another 3 or 4 I think.

Heck I had more success throwing with the dual shock controller and I SUCKED bigtime with it.

I have one TD pass through 7 games.My game has always been passing and I have always been good at it.This shit is surreal.

My team is awful and the cone makes it ten times harder for me to do anything passing the ball.My gameplan is to depend on the Texans D :lol and Wali fing Lundy to score for me.

Rorschach

Matrix said:
AJ is ass in the 360 version,look at me league stats.

Ive dropped so many wide open passes to him it not even funny,some in the endzone too.I think he leads the league or is 2nd in dropped passes.My game against Malley which we didnt get full stats cause the game dropped,he dropped another 3 or 4 I think.

Heck I had more success throwing with the dual shock controller and I SUCKED bigtime with it.

I have one TD pass through 7 games.

My team is awful and the cone makes it ten times harder for me to do anything passing the ball.My gameplan is to depend on the Texans D :lol and Wali fing Lundy to score for me.
2. R Moss (oak) 8
3. A Johnson (hou) 7
4. C Anderson (oak) 5

Sandwiched between two of my players! :lol

I abandoned the passing game this season. It's impossible to pass during laggy games, anyway. You should do the same...join the Marty Ball party! I would rely on my Defense, but my guys can't catch balls...so many dropped ints. Even user picks can't be caught.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
He would be leading the league but I didnt get the stats for my last game.I should be thankful for that,cause guess what....

I didnt complete one pass against Malley :lol

When I did try to pass I was sacked,pressured so bad into an int,dropped passes.Im at the point I'm throwing less than 10 times a game.

People are going to find it annoying when all I do is run for 4 quarters,but at this point it might be my only chance to stay in games.

Rorschach

Malley's a really good player, so it happens. I forgot you didn't have Davis anymore...yeah, you have it pretty bad! At least I have Jordan.

DMczaf

Oh great, I have Bob this week.

93%20Frosted%20Flakes%20Ken%20Griffey%20Jr.jpg

Matrix

Rorschach said:
Malley's a really good player, so it happens. I forgot you didn't have Davis anymore...yeah, you have it pretty bad! At least I have Jordan.

Malley is really good but I have played him plenty of times over the years and have never not completed one pass :lol He also had better teams in the previous versions of the game.

Something is wrong when I can rush for almost 200 yards with Wali Lundy and two tds,but I cant complete a pass...come on :lol

My running alone should open up the passing game somewhat.

edit- I think I completed two passes against Ck :lol 6 yards passing for Carr all game...whoooo :D

DCX

DCX
True is not my next game? Huh...well, i have yet to beat CK in anything....yet. If i'm going to make the playoffs i need to beat the elite, i choked in my first meeting with FMT, now it's CK and DM coming up...with my playoff life on the line. CK when can this showdown take place?

DCX

bluemax said:
AFC East man. We have 3 teams that are division leader capable. I could be 5-1 if I hadn't choked against Konex, plus we have Vumpler who seems to be out of control lately. I'm gonna be sad when I finish with a better record than some of the other division winners and miss the playoffs :-(

Edit: NFC North is good too, wow. And with teams that probably have worse in game ratings. Impressive.

Lol yep thats what I was saying. We have 4 people vying for that top spot. 3 are right next to each other. I'm kinda sad Portis didn't get Offensive player of the week, what with 207 yard on only 13 carries and a 99 yard run. Stupid one more td ronnie brown.

My only regret is that we don’t live close enough to have a lag free game so I could hold portis to negative yardage. Nothing you can do about my tenacious D!

Impossible. I don't think anybody can hold him to negative yards.

Also FMT on the Leaguedaddy front page for upset of the week it has Eagles vs 49ers, but the pictures are NE and Saints.

LiveWire

hgplayer1 said:
:lol looks like we might as well scrap the rules for the league as most people are taking a "shoot now ask questions later" type of approach to questionable play.

Yea, right? I'm going for anything under 4th and 5 (and every 4th and 1) beyond my own 40-yard line if I'm ahead by any amount of points in the 2nd half of the game. I mean, it's only fair, right?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Ya that will work just do your best not to be late :) I'll be on waiting for you.

XBLGT: "Jason Smapity"
with the space.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DCX and Daddy, get ready for some action tonight (barring unforeseen circumstances [No seriously, my life has been one weird situation after another for the past 3 weeks]). I will try to be home by about 6.

Shogun

Hey guys, sorry about not being around the thread. I can play today Gunstar, and also Maestro. My XBox Live name is sonshogun. I'll keep it on today for any time after 2:00 EST.

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:
DCX and Daddy, get ready for some action tonight (barring unforeseen circumstances [No seriously, my life has been one weird situation after another for the past 3 weeks]). I will try to be home by about 6.
I have dinner with family but i will try to get the game in...i know i can be availible around 9-11ish...i don't know how that would do for you though...oh, by the way...don't be so sure about giving anyone the buisness!

DCX

LiveWire said:
Yea, right? I'm going for anything under 4th and 5 (and every 4th and 1) beyond my own 40-yard line if I'm ahead by any amount of points in the 2nd half of the game. I mean, it's only fair, right?

I think personally it should be a league rule, no going for it on 4th downs in your own territory in the 1st half when your up or within 7. Or at least no going for it on 4th down in the first in your territory.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DCX said:
I have dinner with family but i will try to get the game in...i know i can be availible around 9-11ish...i don't know how that would do for you though...oh, by the way...don't be so sure about giving anyone the buisness!

DCX

I am actually pretty interested in seeing how you handle the Falcons. I was trying to cook up defensive schemes for Vick, but it seems you are using him to pass pretty effectively. Get ready though, you are coming up on a D that allows less than 35 passing yards per game. Yes, thirty-five yards.

AkaBalla

Rule Question..

Going for it on 4th and 10 at ur opp's 36 yard line and ur up by 11 points.. Is that ok?..

I just need to know so i can prepare in my future games... Thanks

AkaBalla said:
Rule Question..

Going for it on 4th and 10 at ur opp's 36 yard line and ur up by 11 points.. Is that ok?..

Wow did someone do that? That def should not be ok in my mind, I don't care if you don't think your kicker can make the kick or not. Going for it on 4th down and 10 and your up by 11? In real life that would never happen. This whole 4th down thing is getting out of hand, I think we need a strict ruling from FMT and co.

AkaBalla

How about when ur up by 27 points at ur own 4 yard line and go into 5 wide with 40 secs left? Seems like stat whoring to me.... This isnt getting fun anymore... Oh and trying to pass on 4th down with 2 secs left at ur own 4 yard line and getting nailed for a safety? While ur up 27 points? What happened to a real sim game of football? NOT FUN!!!!

AkaBalla said:
How about when ur up by 27 points at ur own 4 yard line and go into 5 wide with 40 secs left? Seems like stat whoring to me.... This isnt getting fun anymore... Oh and trying to pass on 4th down with 2 secs left at ur own 4 yard line and getting nailed for a safety? While ur up 27 points? What happened to a real sim game of football? NOT FUN!!!!

Lemme guess, vumpler? Probably trying to make up for the games that FMT reset where he played his buddy.

Vumpler, seems to be a common problem with you. I don't know whats hard to follow about don't run up the score on your opponent and sim league, but it seems you can't comprehend that. 14 points in the 4th up 24-10 and all those 4th down attempts? Can we do something about this please.

vumpler

AkaBalla said:

Woah Woah Woah. That last play with 4 seconds left was a 4 wide throw out of bounds to burn the 3 seconds left in the game as opposed to giving up the instant touchdown bocked punt. And the 5 wide with 40 seconds left what are you talking about? That never happened. I don't even have a 5 wide set.

vumpler

sableholic said:
Vumpler, seems to be a common problem with you. I don't know whats hard to follow about don't run up the score on your opponent and sim league, but it seems you can't comprehend that. 14 points in the 4th up 24-10 and all those 4th down attempts? Can we do something about this please.

What are you talking about? All those 4th down attempts? One was on his 38 yard line and the other attempt was what i figured to be the last play of the game where i roll out and just throw it outa bounds but it backfired. Don't bring heat over nothing. Both scores in the 4th were off picks where i just ran it up the middle 8 times and got in. Know what you're talking about before you bring this mess.

vumpler said:
What are you talking about? All those 4th down attempts? One was on his 38 yard line and the other attempt was what i figured to be the last play of the game where i roll out and just throw it outa bounds but it backfired. Don't bring heat over nothing. Both scores in the 4th were off picks where i just ran it up the middle 8 times and got in. Know what you're talking about before you bring this mess.
AkaBalla said:
Rule Question..

You were up by 11 and u went for 4th and 10? When have you ever seen that in real life?

LiveWire said:
First off, I paused the game because I had to piss after drinking my sorrows away during the Redskins pitiful showing in the Meadowlands.

2nd, your play was bullshit. 4th and 1 in Madden is virtually guaranteed--and even if it wasn't, that situation, with our standard of play, calls for a punt. That's why FMT instituted rules like no manual DB blitzing, etc. If Madden 360 had EA's Fair Play (as Madden 2005 had), you wouldn't have been able to go for it in that situation (Fair Play forced a punt on 4th downs in situations where you wouldn't go for it in real life). GAF Madden leagues used Fair Play for several seasons.

Anyway, I'd like to hear FMT's opinion. I'm not calling for a replay of the game, but I think it should be recognized as bad play.

I think you need to quit ****ing whining and play better throughout the game if you want to win. I'm sick of you bashing me when I made a sound play. I would bet that based on the way I was playing defense at the moment, the majority of coaches/players would've done the same thing. Either I punt for a possible 34 yard swing and you come back and score to tie the game, or I go for it in order to control my own destiny. If I don't make it you have to go 46 yards instead of 80, but the way you had just started scoring on me it would not have made a big difference.

I'm not sure how much football you watch, but I've seen coaches make this call PLENTY of times, especially in the 1st and 4th quarters. Sure, it happens a lot more in college (see the National Championship game last year), but it DOES happen in the NFL.

Please justify how in the hell it is bad play (no one has agreed with you, by the way) and you feel you need to soil my name. Hell, I could've gone for it again at my 22 and didn't, and I could've milked the clock but I didn't. You still haven't responded to those two points, of course.

Also of note, I played a game right afterwards with SonShogun (Jets) and he gave me a ton of praise for the great game we just played. If anyone should be reprimanded, it should be YOU for your endless bitching.

vumpler

sableholic said:
You were up by 11 and u went for 4th and 10? When have you ever seen that in real life?

WTF? What did you expect me to do? It wasn't the 36 it was the 38 and that's a 55 yard kick... Are you telling me I'm supposed to punt it right there and give it to him 18 yards further down field? I would rather play the odds and him take it on the 38 if I didn't get it.

And just to clarify the only reason I kept running plays on that last touchdown near the goalline was ONLY because he kept calling time outs. Now if you're asking me to take knee's and kick the 3 then that's just something I won't do in a situation like that. I pounded it up the middle and because the saints front 8 aren't the best rudi or jer pounded it through. Nothing during this game was unrealistic in the least. That last play of the game is the only issue you could possibly have. It turned out ok anyway, I either wanted to roll out and throw it away to end the game, or run it out of the endzone and take the 2. Anything would be better than giving you 7 on a blocked punt. And don't tell me this doesn't happen two teams have already done it this year, the only difference is Seattle lined up in the fake punt formation and ran it out.

Aka you lost man, you played a decent game just like I did. I just ended up winning. No reason to throw around all this "vump is antisim" crap.

vumpler said:
WTF? What did you expect me to do? It wasn't the 36 it was the 38 and that's a 55 yard kick... Are you telling me I'm supposed to punt it right there and give it to him 18 yards further down field? I would rather play the odds and him take it on the 38 if I didn't get it.

And just to clarify the only reason I kept running plays on that last touchdown near the goalline was ONLY because he kept calling time outs. Now if you're asking me to take knee's and kick the 3 then that's just something I won't do in a situation like that. I pounded it up the middle and because the saints front 8 aren't the best rudi or jer pounded it through. Nothing during this game was unrealistic in the least. That last play of the game is the only issue you could possibly have. It turned out ok anyway, I either wanted to roll out and throw it away to end the game, or run it out of the endzone and take the 2. Anything would be better than giving you 7 on a blocked punt. And don't tell me this doesn't happen two teams have already done it this year, the only difference is Seattle lined up in the fake punt formation and ran it out.

Aka you lost man, you played a decent game just like I did. I just ended up winning. No reason to throw around all this "vump is antisim" crap.

In a 4th and 10 situation, hell yes I expected you to punt it. Teams never in the NFL go for 4th and 10 when they are up by 11. I dont care where they are on the field. I agreed with the 4th and inches mmlemay did mentioned earlier but 4th and 10. Teams go for 4th and inches (see broncos game last year against the skins to make sure the other team doesnt get the ball back), but teams do not do that on 4th and 10. Thats just bs.

Matrix

Both Sable and Konex are 100% right.

bluemax

Banned
Rorschach said:
2. R Moss (oak) 8
3. A Johnson (hou) 7
4. C Anderson (oak) 5

Sandwiched between two of my players! :lol

I abandoned the passing game this season. It's impossible to pass during laggy games, anyway. You should do the same...join the Marty Ball party! I would rely on my Defense, but my guys can't catch balls...so many dropped ints. Even user picks can't be caught.

Embrace the Marty Ball Philosophy!

I think half my wins follow the formula of:

1. run the ball as much as possible.
2. only throw when neccessary or when you think it'll surprise the other guy
3. rely on the defense to come up with stops

Of course I like to open things up every now and then ;-) My passing game has become quite respectable actually. Only 57% on the season, but better by the week.

LiveWire

mmlemay said:
blah blah blah

Had you punted, I would have had to drive from my own 20. It's not hard to punt the ball in Madden out of bounds when the line of scrimmage is your own 44. You could have even pinned me out of bounds inside the 20. You were dominating defensively and even though I scored twice to catch up, one was a fluke running play. I still had several other 3 and out series which resulted in punts. Even if I did score on that ensuing drive, you would have had more than enough time to drive back to kick a FG or worst case scenario go to overtime.

It's just this simple: the rule that I recall the GAF league playing by--especially when we played with Fair Play on--is that you cannot go for it on 4th down in your own territory unless it's late in the 4th quarter (and even then it's really meant for teams trying to come back to tie or break a tie to win). This was not that situation.

But hey, if that's OK with everyone, then like I said, I'm going for it on 4th a LOT if it's 5 or under yds and I'm "protecting a lead.":D

vumpler

I still cant justify on that part of the field punting. I would be completely satisfied with him having it ont he 38. Hell on kickoffs he ran it back to the 30-40 every time anyway so I'm not bothered. However I understand what everyone is saying and I will comply with the request from this point forth. It completely rubs me the wrong way in that situation but if that's what it takes, then that's what I'll do.

vumpler

LiveWire said:
But hey, if that's OK with everyone, then like I said, I'm going for it on 4th a LOT if it's 5 or under yds and I'm "protecting a lead.":D

wtf.gif
If it's not 4th and 1 you really don't have an argument for going for it in your own territory. I would say you don't even have an argument going for it up except from between their 40 yard line through their 30 yard line.

Shogun

MaestroRyan said:
shogun, can you play at 9 tonight if you're good to play then?! :)

also, if you read this, were you mad with me after my win or something? i tried to talk to you after the game and near the end, i wasn't being sarcastic or anything. Don't want to make you mad or anything, and of course I wasn't mad, I reserve all my anger for Mr. Bob and now shit-talkin' DM!

Maestro, is 9:30 - 10:00 ok? I'm going out to see the Departed. But no, I have nothing but love for you so to speak. My apologies if I was brief online, I have an unusually shaped head so the headset tends to be pretty uncomfortable, I usually just take it off.

guys come on. if someone is CONTINUALLY going for it on 4th and 1 from their own 40 i will look at it. once in a great while? thats gambling.

as far as vumpler going for it on 4th and 11 come on dude. you know what 4th and 5 or less... i could roll with that if the score was close. but you are up 11, punt the god damn ball. you are free to do what you want but i would see that as a bit ridiculous. this is a sim league, cut that shit out! punt the ball and play some defense for once in your life :D

DMczaf

Roster Update #2 is already in testing.

Guys -

The second roster update for Madden 07 is in testing and we are looking to have it out very soon.

As I did last time, I will publish a word document with all the major changes so you guys can post questions and feedback.

Thanks.

Top Bottom