• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

RevenantKioku said:
I hate to appear as a Nintendo fanboy,

Too late for that. Just as someone said they can't imagine who can't be excited about DS who claims to like videogames, I say that you can't like videogames and not see how obvious it is that PSP is going to kill DS.

aka, specifically, there's a version of Age of Empires completely re-engineered for Pocket PC touchscreens. There's likewise a version of Ultima Underworld. There's BUCKETLOADS of original RTS and RPG titles, as well as original "parlor"/Wario Ware style games out there.

If you're curious, visit any Pocket PC gaming site.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If Sony really did improve the PSP battery performance over the previous accounts, then power to them. This could be a big potential spoiler for their plans tho.
There hasn't been any previous accounts, really. Just the baseless speculation and rumors.

My experience is that Sony Electronic's division battery life estimates are quite accurate, and they measure them under reasonable, clearly stated conditions. I have only one device to base this experience on, though (T1 photo camera), but it's encouraging to see the same detailed explanation of battery measurment usage in the PSP PR.

Btw, I don't know if you missed it, but in the same PR, they say that for the continuous movie watching, battery lasts 4-5 hours (again, high/low brightness).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Drinky,
well I've seen a strat game or two on PPC that worked, not really played them myself much, but my brother managed to literally ruin his PDA's screen with them (scratches all over the areas where frequent movement happened :p). Not that I was suggesting you simply take a mouse based game and copy it over - it doesn't really work that way.

Anyway the 'fun' of pocket gaming is relative anyhow - not everyone is even willing to bother with the tiny screen, regardless of controls.

Deg

Banned
Link316 said:
no it seems that the general idea that some people have is that stylus based games never existed before the DS, I've been playing stylus based games on my PDA long before the DS and I've found it gameplay capabilities to be very limited

Most arent designed for gaming. Most wont be able to handle Wario Ware that well. For gaming the reaction times matter abit more.

jarrod said:
Holy crap! Look what happens when I sleep in!!

Well, that 10,000 yen DS launch price was initially leaked from NCL's website before... they might drop to that price in response before launch even (a la N64). In fact at this point I'd say they need to. :)

IAWTP.

akascream

Banned
aka, specifically, there's a version of Age of Empires completely re-engineered for Pocket PC touchscreens. There's likewise a version of Ultima Underworld. There's BUCKETLOADS of original RTS and RPG titles, as well as original "parlor"/Wario Ware style games out there.

If you're curious, visit any Pocket PC gaming site.

I don't mean PC games that were refitted to work with a stylus instead of a mouse. I'm interested in games specifically designed for interaction with the touchscreen. Do any come to mind?.. whats the name of that wario ware style game?

You'll hafta do your own research, bud; I stopped trying to get fun from a touchscreen late last year. Well, outside of NetHack and Solitaire, that is.

akascream

Banned
You'll hafta do your own research, bud; I stopped trying to get fun from a touchscreen late last year. Well, outside of NetHack and Solitaire, that is.

Not a very compelling argument imo. I am very interested to see what big name developers can do with touchscreen interactivity, and I can't even get an example of a couple guys dickin around with pda software?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Most wont be able to handle Wario Ware that well. For gaming the reaction times matter abit more.
Actually, Wario Ware is the game that doesn't rely much on 3D graphics, right? That kind of game can easily be reproduced on PDAs. Their screen precision and response time is not any different than DS, really.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
xsarien said:
I maintain my demand for one, wide touchscreen. Therefore, the DS and PSP need to get an hourly motel room, STAT.

if the ds wants a piece of psp, it can pay its $200 like everybody else. HAW HAW HAW. do you people not understand natural selection? the ds is maladapted. it will not pass on its genetic material. psp2 will not have a touchscreen.

boy, ds really looks like a colossal error. psp might have had a hard time against the gba's sheer entrenchment, and nintendo could've taken their time to develop a real competitor. instead nintendo have undercut the gba by moving all their development resources to ds, and will risk their credibility if they release yet another portable in the next couple years.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
So when are the invitations going out for those DS failure parties you guys are so excited about?

Such negativity in this thread on both sides of the camp. :(

Deg

Banned
So any info about whether you need a memory stick to save or not?

drohne said:
if the ds wants a piece of psp, it can pay its $200 like everybody else. HAW HAW HAW. do you people not understand natural selection? the ds is maladapted. it will not pass on its genetic material. neither gb3 nor psp2 will have a touchscreen.

boy, ds really looks like a colossal error. psp might have had a hard time against the gba's sheer entrenchment, and nintendo could've taken their time to develop a real competitor. instead nintendo have undercut the gba by moving all their development resources to ds, and will risk their credibility if they release yet another portable in the next couple years.

Gotta love the wetdreams about DS being the GBA replacement. DS isnt going to sell 40 million.

Marconelly said:
Actually, Wario Ware is the game that doesn't rely much on 3D graphics, right? That kind of game can easily be reproduced on PDAs. Their screen precision and response time is not any different than DS, really.

Certain screens wont cope properly. Not all but many wont.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think the party's happening right now, in this thread.

sorry, but ds advocates have been insufferable over the past year or so. it's time they ate some shit.

lexi

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
So when are the invitations going out for those DS failure parties you guys are so excited about?

Yeah, I be down for that shit. Will they be anything like the joygasm scenes from Matrix Reloaded?

aka: Put "Pocket PC Games" into Google, or pick up a copy of Pocket PC magazine. Geezus. I've tried at LEAST a hundred games on the system; you should have NO trouble finding a few that meet your criteria.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I get to be in charge of the lights. Color scheme is red baby!

Sorry, I'm just genuinly excited for both products at the moment. Possibly a bit too optimistic but still excited. It's a bit of a downer to see such vehement negativity, that's all. Carry on gentlemen.

JasoNsider said:
If people aren't willing to accept something new, then we have a serious problem in this industry.

No, companies that don't give consumers what they want have a serious problem in this industry. The consumer spending is still there for videogames, and it's been increasing year-on-year. Sony and the more successful 3rd parties must be doing something right to make consumers purchase their products.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Deg, yes, you need memory stick to save games

Akascream, if you want an example of a game nicely fitted to work with stylys, look at the port of Marble Madness. It's a port, but it works really well. Games like chess, solitare and such work nice too and are very intitive. RTS games developed for PDAs in mind (Argentum, etc), work great too, but I don't like that type of games so I don't have extensive experience with them.

Stylus does allow for some nice gaming options, that's for sure, although I think I prefer regular button input for most games on my PDA, outside of emulated P&C adventure games.

Deg

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
No, companies that don't give consumers what they want have a serious problem in this industry. The consumer spending is still there for videogames, and it's been increasing year-on-year. Sony and the more successful 3rd parties must be doing something right to make consumers purchase their products.

Of course because finding new ideas should never happen. Hence gaming itself shouldnt exist... ;)

Take your trolling ass elsewhere.

Shompola

Banned
what colors will be out on launch day? where to buy it if I want it at most one week after launch day? I would want to have it in my hands before December 25th.

Che

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
Too late for that. Just as someone said they can't imagine who can't be excited about DS who claims to like videogames, I say that you can't like videogames and not see how obvious it is that PSP is going to kill DS.

Oh god make this hater stop. And you talking about fanboyism is too much irony for just one single day.

lachesis

Neat. Pricepoint is a definitely competitive (at least against DS)

I kinda expected it already - because Sony seems to employ this tactic of "create the illusion of something more expensive, then BAM! - less than expected price to hype up the people. It's the whole de-ja-vu of PS2. Remember people used to guestimate $700 for PS2 production price when it was released? ;)

Seriously. I can't even count how many of you on this board already fell for this. It proves their smart tactics how to create a "hype". It's still 200 bucks. I don't know, but I just find it's pretty expensive for just hand-held game machine, not to mention the price of the games are pretty expensive - for watered down sub-PS2 games for nearly 5000+ yen?

However, yes, I was going to buy the system anyhow, and I am happy with the initial pricepoint. I guess I also fell into the hype, again. Sony does really know how to manipulate one's mind with sleek designs. And I also see the doomsday for big ol' Nintendo in the fashion of Sega as hardware manufacturer, which I hope it's not the case...

lachesis

akascream

Banned
aka: Put "Pocket PC Games" into Google, or pick up a copy of Pocket PC magazine. Geezus. I've tried at LEAST a hundred games on the system; you should have NO trouble finding a few that meet your criteria.

You want me to make your argument for you? You said touchscreen mechanics "don't in ANY way provide BETTER fun than traditional controls -- and if fact, I'd argue that they're pretty cumbersome and LESS fun, especially after the novelty has worn off". Can I get at least one example of a game designed for touchscreen play where this holds true?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Shompola said:
what colors will be out on launch day?
I would have tears of joy running down my face like waterfalls if I could buy a PSP on launch day (or close to it) in red.

Seriously I would.

Deg said:
Of course because finding new ideas should never happen. Hence gaming itself shouldnt exist... ;)

Take your trolling ass elsewhere.

:rolleyes

And new ideas doesn't fit in to my statement? I'm talking about companies delivering products that consumers want. Consumers want new ideas along with more of the same old. From the pre-launch word of mouth that I've been exposed to, consumers DON'T want touch-screen gameplay. Don't shoot the messenger.

Nice how you can't see through your blinders to any constructive criticism about Nintendo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shompola, only black color at the lauch, but more colors are all but 100% confirmed later on.

DJ Demon J, I'd say it's time to look at your ban counter, it's getting dangerously low due to this thread. I know it's the excitement and all, but... Even though you're only politely arguing against Nintendo, not everyone may see it the same way ;)

Thats a disadvantage. Essentially the same as memory cards.
True, and not true... Memory sticks are not really like memory cards in the sense that when you bought PS1 or PS2, there was no chance that you already had memory card sitting around in your home. With memory stick, I think many people can happen to own one already and not really use it, as they've replaced it with bigger size stick for example. That's why the bare $185 option does not seem so bad really.

Deg

Banned
All games wont be region encoded. Only movies.

lachesis said:
Neat. Pricepoint is a definitely competitive (at least against DS)

I kinda expected it already - because Sony seems to employ this tactic of "create the illusion of something more expensive, then BAM! - less than expected price to hype up the people. It's the whole de-ja-vu of PS2. Remember people used to guestimate $700 for PS2 production price when it was released? ;)

Seriously. I can't even count how many of you on this board already fell for this. It proves their smart tactics how to create a "hype". It's still 200 bucks. I don't know, but I just find it's pretty expensive for just hand-held game machine, not to mention the price of the games are pretty expensive - for watered down sub-PS2 games for nearly 5000+ yen?

However, yes, I was going to buy the system anyhow, and I am happy with the initial pricepoint. I guess I also fell into the hype, again. Sony does really know how to manipulate one's mind with sleek designs. And I also see the doomsday for big ol' Nintendo in the fashion of Sega as hardware manufacturer, which I hope it's not the case...

lachesis

They're lucky its just DS. If they have problems with PSP.

Brofist

lachesis said:
It's still 200 bucks. I don't know, but I just find it's pretty expensive for just hand-held game machine, not to mention the price of the games are pretty expensive - for watered down sub-PS2 games for nearly 5000+ yen?

GBA games regularly are released in the 5000 yen range, it's standard pricing for handheld games.

Deg

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
:rolleyes

And new ideas doesn't fit in to my statement? I'm talking about companies delivering products that consumers want. Consumers want new ideas along with more of the same old. From the pre-launch word of mouth that I've been exposed to, consumers DON'T want touch-screen gameplay. Don't shoot the messenger.

Nice how you can't see through your blinders to any constructive criticism about Nintendo.

look mate its obvious when you are trolling.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously. I can't even count how many of you on this board already fell for this.
Fell for what? I'd say it's pretty stupid not to expect that Sony is losing money on this. I mean, that thing IS expensive, there's no illusion there. It was just their decision to underprice it.

Deg said:
Thats a disadvantage. Essentially the same as memory cards.

That kicks the price of PSP up. Could go up even more depending on game save size as well when you run out of space. Sony pulled a fast one on Nintendo. I'm still not interested :).

But I wonder, how long can they stand to sell at less than half of production cost?

You want me to make your argument for you? You said touchscreen mechanics "don't in ANY way provide BETTER fun than traditional controls -- and if fact, I'd argue that they're pretty cumbersome and LESS fun, especially after the novelty has worn off". Can I get at least one example of a game designed for touchscreen play where this holds true?

No, I'm suggesting you get some EXPERIENCE for yourself, since apparently you know NOTHING about touchscreen gaming, whereas I have quite a bit of experience with it. Do a little research, and you'll discover exactly how LITTLE a touchscreen brings to gaming.

Exactly HOW would me recounting my experience with a specific game serve my argument? I want YOU to find out about the REAL WORLD of touch screen gaming, and hopefully gain a little fucking perspective.

lexi

Banned
ds.gif

Che

Banned
Marconelly said:
DJ Demon J, I'd say it's time to look at your ban counter, it's getting dangerously low due to this thread. I know it's the excitement and all, but...

The funny thing is that his excitement doesn't come from the possible success of PSP but from the possible Nintendo failure.

Deg

Banned
Marconelly said:
Fell for what? I'd say it's pretty stupid not to expect that Sony is losing money on this. I mean, that thing IS expensive, there's no illusion there. It was just their decision to underprice it.

I doubt they will lose much. Costs are falling at Sony should make profit off software.

akascream

Banned
No, I'm suggesting you get some EXPERIENCE for yourself, since apparently you know NOTHING about touchscreen gaming, whereas I have quite a bit of experience with it.

Meanwhile you are using your experience as a basis for pov in a discussion. Is it that hard to discuss your experience? You keep telling me to google pda games, seems like a cheesy out to me. Can't even name one game so I CAN experience your pov?

Do a little research, and you'll discover exactly how LITTLE a touchscreen brings to gaming.

I'm trying. Since you've already run into this novelty, what games should I check out?

Exactly HOW would me recounting my experience with a specific game serve my argument? I want YOU to find out about the REAL WORLD of touch screen gaming, and hopefully gain a little fucking perspective.

I'm trying. You got a name of a game I should give a whirl? I'm after a game designed around touchscreen play. You obviously have experience with them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
To be quite honest, I have not seen a PDA game that offered same kind of interaction as that game with Yoshi and baby Mario, where you draw flower-bridges and connect clouds for Mario to walk on. That looked quite interesting at least in video form. If they can make that game last long enough, and continously have that kind of interesting interaction without becoming repetitive, they will have something there.

I'm trying. Since you've already run into this novelty, what games should I check out?
I have suggested you some games above. Also, if you go to a site like PocketGamer.org and search a bit through the obvious genres, like RTS or Puzzle, you'll find some more stuff made speciffically for stylus that works well with it.

TKM

Actually, Sony's probably making a $10-20 profit off PStwo. The biggest cost for PSP would be that huge, bright, deep color, new tech TFT screen... which they have to buy from Sharp. :/

Wow Sharp rocks. Best screen I've ever seen. Maybe once the Sony/Samsung LCD plant ramps up 2Q of 2005, PSP costs will drop.

Bregor

Drinky Crow said:
No, I'm suggesting you get some EXPERIENCE for yourself, since apparently you know NOTHING about touchscreen gaming, whereas I have quite a bit of experience with it. Do a little research, and you'll discover exactly how LITTLE a touchscreen brings to gaming.

What of the first hand accounts saying that the touch screen works well in some games, notably Metroid?

Top Bottom