• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

Deg

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
No, I'm suggesting you get some EXPERIENCE for yourself, since apparently you know NOTHING about touchscreen gaming, whereas I have quite a bit of experience with it. Do a little research, and you'll discover exactly how LITTLE a touchscreen brings to gaming.

Exactly HOW would me recounting my experience with a specific game serve my argument? I want YOU to find out about the REAL WORLD of touch screen gaming, and hopefully gain a little fucking perspective.

Yeah but are there games like Metroid Hunters on those systems? DS is a gaming machine. I know it has some light PDA functions but they are messaging types.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
actually, if you insist on a matrix metaphor, i think nintendo would be the cave-dwelling hippies while sony would be the spider-robots roiling above. think it through! note that it works! then feel ashamed that you've thought it through!

akascream

Banned
Akascream, if you want an example of a game nicely fitted to work with stylys, look at the port of Marble Madness. It's a port, but it works really well. Games like chess, solitare and such work nice too and are very intitive. RTS games developed for PDAs in mind (Argentum, etc), work great too, but I don't like that type of games so I don't have extensive experience with them.

Whoops, I missed your post. So ports and RTS.. I can see how rts would work nice with the stylus.. but I guess thats not the kind of interaction I'm after. I see some neat functionality in tech demos and upcoming games. Like you pointed out, the baby mario game. The sonic tech demo was interesting (needed dpad steering imo), the doctor game, or that interesting touch game by sega. The wasd type control in hunters.. is there an fps on a pda with a similar control scheme? Made in Wario, ect. This is the kind of interaction that is supposedly available already.. I'm just trying to figure out where and names of titles.

Drinky Crow said:
No, I'm suggesting you get some EXPERIENCE for yourself, since apparently you know NOTHING about touchscreen gaming, whereas I have quite a bit of experience with it. Do a little research, and you'll discover exactly how LITTLE a touchscreen brings to gaming.

I played the DS at E3 many times. I haven't felt the same youthful joy or giddyness in a long time. I have been playing games on my Palm Pilot for years as well. There is a different feeling with the DS than PDA's. If you haven't gotten the chance to use the DS yet, I hope you reserve more opinions on its touchscreen and your interaction with the games till you do.

Brofist

I can see a few games that will compliment the DS capabilities nicely that haven't been done before, even in other iterations of touch screen gaming. If I compare my interest in the DS from a couple months ago until now, it's gone up I'd say. But I will buy the PSP first, and take a more wait and see stance with the DS. If the DS were to drop to 10,000 yen..well it would be a no-brainer purchase.

lexi

Banned
drohne said:
actually, if you insist on a matrix metaphor, i think nintendo would be the cave-dwelling hippies while sony would be the spider-robots roiling above. think it through! note that it works! then feel ashamed that you've thought it through!

You know those cave-dwelling hippies win in the end...

lachesis

Marconelly said:
Fell for what? I'd say it's pretty stupid not to expect that Sony is losing money on this. I mean, that thing IS expensive, there's no illusion there. It was just their decision to underprice it.

I don't mean to downgrade PSP in anyway, but what I'm saying is PSP launch is in the same vein with PS2. PS2, at that time as you'd already know, was a expensive machine (especially cpu chipset being so expensive to manufature) and some said it can't be done. I was one of those who thought, that they won't be able make it under 500 dollars. Compare to that price point, original 299(wasn't it?), was more or less a shock, and I was convinced with price with no second thoughts. That, my friend, is what I'm implying and I already see many posts indicating "for that price point, I'm sold!" posts as far as I can see...

lachesis

border

drohne said:
nintendo could've taken their time to develop a real competitor. instead nintendo have undercut the gba by moving all their development resources to ds, and will risk their credibility if they release yet another portable in the next couple years.
Nintendo sounds like Sega circa 1994-1995. Poorly thought-out stopgap solutions undermined them completely. Of course, I guess there are some faithful that actually believe DS is a third pillar (har)....it will be interesting to see if Nintendo can continue to push a new handheld on customers every 2-3 years.

The "Gamers don't really care about music and movies!" line is also humorously similar to the pre-PS2 spin that Dreamcast zealots tried to lay down, as was the "It'll cost $400!" line (which was just demolished today).

From all hands on reports the DS touch screen is apparently MUCH more sensitive than your average PDA.

As for the PSP, I just hope the discs dont start skipping a year later like on my Sony Minidisc :( I can already see people with launch PSPs complaining about DDE errors by this time next year.

AniHawk

AniHawk said:
It would have been better to just say nothing instead of coming out into a PSP praise thread and say something to focus everyone's attention on. Now I imagine we'll see appearances by jarrod, Drinky Crow, and other regulars who are already in this thread as we discuss why or why not the PSP or DS will fail, and someone will pipe in every 100-150 posts or so to say, "so what, the GBA SP will still outsell them both."

The prophecy has been fulfilled.

xsarien

daedsiluap
border said:
Nintendo sounds like Sega circa 1994-1995. Poorly thought-out stopgap solutions undermined them completely. Of course, I guess there are some faithful that actually believe DS is a third pillar (har)

Who needs faith when Nintendo's said that they're developing the GB platform independent of the DS?

border said:
The "Gamers don't really care about music and movies!" line is also humorously similar to the pre-PS2 spin that Dreamcast zealots tried to lay down, as was the "It'll cost $400!" line (which was just demolished today).

Watching movies on the PS2 never required you to buy into a completely new format.

Brofist

akascream said:
Whoops, I missed your post. So ports and RTS.. I can see how rts would work nice with the stylus.. but I guess thats not the kind of interaction I'm after. I see some neat functionality in tech demos and upcoming games. Like you pointed out, the baby mario game. The sonic tech demo was interesting (needed dpad steering imo), the doctor game, or that interesting touch game by sega. The wasd type control in hunters.. is there an fps on a pda with a similar control scheme? Made in Wario, ect. This is the kind of interaction that is supposedly available already.. I'm just trying to figure out where and names of titles.

I don't think he's trying to dodge you, there are literally a ton of games out there for Pocket PC that implement touch screen input. If you're looking for a direct comparison to certain DS games..well you might be hard pressed. It's obvious Nintendo is putting a little more care into the uses of the touch screen.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
lockii said:

did you watch the same matrix movies i did? the robots permit the hippies to keep living, after the sacrifice of their kung-fu jesus. it'll be the same way when sony lets nintendo develop for ps3 and psp, after the sacrifice of gahigiddy.

border

lockii said:
No they don't.....they save themselves from anihilation by declaring a truce with the unrelenting and dominating machines. Which in the context of this metaphor could be likened to the day when Nintendo goes 3rd party and begins making games for Sony's platforms ;)

EDIT: damn, looks as though we were thinking the same wya...

Dead

well not really...yet
drohne said:
did you watch the same matrix movies i did? the robots permit the hippies to keep living, after the sacrifice of their kung-fu jesus. it'll be the same way when sony lets nintendo develop for ps3 and psp, after the sacrifice of gahigiddy.
:lol lovely, just lovely

drohne said:

laugh2.gif
laugh2.gif
laugh2.gif
You're killing me EP.

Midas

seismologist said:
From all hands on reports the DS touch screen is apparently MUCH more sensitive than your average PDA.

As for the PSP, I just hope the discs dont start skipping a year later like on my Sony Minidisc :( I can already see people with launch PSPs complaining about DDE errors by this time next year.

Serious, what are you guys doing with your MD-units? Bad battery life and skipping discs? I've never had ANY problems with skipping discs in a md unit and I've owned three different ones.

lexi

Banned
Damage control in full effect!

The original photochop wasn't a metaphor as much as it was highlighting the fact that said members were joygasming over the certain inevitable death of the DS.

teepo

and to think i was going to have to shell out 350+ to play metal gear acid when it's released...

pssh

thx you sony :)

lachesis

border said:
Nintendo sounds like Sega circa 1994-1995. Poorly thought-out stopgap solutions undermined them completely. Of course, I guess there are some faithful that actually believe DS is a third pillar (har)....it will be interesting to see if Nintendo can continue to push a new handheld on customers every 2-3 years.

For once, I agree with border. It is indeed quite similar from DC/PS2 launch in many aespect and very dejavu-ish... and that's why I fear for Nintendo DS's demise. (because, I am actually excited regarding touchscreen/stylus possibilities on handheld game machine.)

lachesis

drohne said:

Okay that it's. I petition that Gahigiddy's tag be changed to 'Nintendo's Kung-Fu Jesus'.

border

xsarien said:
Who needs faith when Nintendo's said that they're developing the GB platform independent of the DS?
Nintendo can only control their own machinations, not the market itself. The "3rd Pillar" line is ultimately undermined by the fact that the 3rd Pillar directly competes with and plays the games of the 2nd Pillar. Developers and gamers are ultimately forced to choose between the two -- and that includes Nintendo studios. Resources and marketshare are split. "Independent" is a ludicrous misnomer.

DS is pretty clearly a stopgap, IMO.....a GBA2 prototype that got rushed to market in response to a competitor's challenge. Do you really think that they have any plans to continue releasing two handheld platforms in tandem for the rest of their corporate life (when they so clearly eat away at the same market)? Fuck no! If the DS is successful then the next Gameboy will have two screens and all the cool whizbang stuff that the DS did, because those features will have become the de facto standard. DS line will be abandoned, aside from the backwards compatibility aspect.

Insertia

drohne said:

:lol :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Not by a long shot ElyrionX, this is their first entry into a marketplace which has a near total dominance by a single company. I'd say wait a few months after launch and start analyzing the sell through rate on the PSP (along with games) and then start analyzing the GBA sales and see how much they've dwindled if at all. Things have just started to get very interesting and at the same time the complexity of the handheld market has skyrocketed. I'm not trying to dwindle your excitement (which is a good thing) but it's essential to keep a level head about the situation since it's a MAJOR impact for the handheld scene and things are in a big question mark right now. If the PSP is blockbuster success and remains the same for a few months then break out the Sony fanboy champaign bottles and drink up my friend.

Uggh the less Matrix comparisons the better.

OmniGamer

Only read the first 5 pages so far....what's this about?

Maximum luminance 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using battery pack)
Maximum luminance 200 / 180 / 80cd/m2 (when using AC adaptor)

Different screen brightness based on power source?

Deg

Banned

Keep wishing DS is the new GB. The fact you're taking DS seriously is a testament to how far DS has come.

xsarien

daedsiluap
border said:
Nintendo can only control their own machinations, not the market itself. The "3rd Pillar" line is ultimately undermined by the fact that the 3rd Pillar directly competes with and plays the games of the 2nd Pillar. Developers and gamers are ultimately forced to choose between the two -- and that includes Nintendo studios. Resources and marketshare are split. "Independent" is a ludicrous misnomer.

And the first pillar (so to speak) plays the second pillar's games, and God knows through the shrieking around here that it's cheap enough to be de facto competition (when you consider the segments of the population that are just looking for a game machine, portable or standalone.)

And yeah, you know what? If Nintendo thinks that they can afford, in both money and man power, to develop for three systems, two of which are portable, then the more power to them. The GBA2 will most likely remain a strict, "standard" gaming device, with all the whiz-bang, golly-gee wireless features of the DS, and the DS platform may take off to uncharted areas. Maybe, one day, it'll be a bonafide PDA.

But I don't know for certain, and neither do you.

OmniGamer said:

Gotta save that battery juice somehow.

OmniGamer said:
Only read the first 5 pages so far....what's this about?

I read some TGS reports that confirmed that the screen didn't seem as bright as it was in the past. That's probably what you get when it's running off a battery pack.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
With all the damage control going on, I'm just appalled at the lack of appropriate pics showing up.

GAFFERS AM GETTING SLOW

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wasn't trying to dodge your question, it's just that I like how some of those ports (like Marble Madness) work and play them more than some original games, but that doesn't mean that there are no original games that use stylus in a good way. One thing I can vouch for, though, is that stylys does not work for me at least, in 3D games, like FPS games. There's a very good quake port for example, that uses the stylus in much the same way as MP:H, and I didn't really like it. It's not precise enough somehow, and I think it could be even worse with DS, where you have to hold it with one hand, when device was constructed more to be held with two hands. I'm saying that as the stylys control in FPS game requires as little shaking as possible, if you want to have any kind of precision - and your left hand will shake a bit even when you just start sliding the stylus over the screen a bit more furiously.

At the end of the day, I think I'll buy a PSTwo and play the games on my TV. This price announcement for PSP is huge, but I'm still not excited yet as I haven't seen games I'M interested in. But I'm definately interested in Warioware DS, Balloon Trip, Advance Wars DS, and Animal Crossing DS.

Balls in Nintendo's court now, what will be they're response. I'm not sure a price drop to $99 will be the right thing to do because it will be GC vs PS2 all over again. People would see the price and assume the DS is a cheap toy. I think Nintendo needs a 60 fps port of Goldeneye, and a new Pokemon stat. Then let word of mouth (with the fun 16 people wireless matches, and the drop of the hat pokebattles) take care of the rest.

Not saying I won't buy a PSP in the future, just waiting for Sony to SHOW ME THE GAMES!

Soybean

Do you think tie-in ratios will be as low for PSP as they've historically been for GB systems? If so, will a loss on the PSP system be sustainable? Has this been discussed already in this mega-thread?

border

Funny how after the price announcement, people have immediately reverted to seeing it as a PSP vs. GBA battle, rather than a PSP vs DS battle.

The fact you're taking DS seriously is a testament to how far DS has come.
Calling it a rushed and poorly-conceived stopgap is taking it seriously? I'm not calling it "the next Gameboy" (more likely the new 32X), just pointing out that the two product lines cannot exist independently. When Nintendo crowns a true "next" Gameboy, DS goes away and its features are integrated into the new system. The 3rd Pillar nonsense is just worthless lip service to make consumers and investors feel more comfortable with the product.

Shoryuken

Sony kind of fucked this one up. With their prices (NDS and PSP) relatively close (around $80 with all necessities), this was their chance to get a lead on the DS, but instead they're only launching in one region with only half of the DS's shipment in that region (1 million vs. 500,000 by the end of 2004 in Japan).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The PSP is $200 and the PS2 is $150? OMG Sony is ripping us off on the PS2! I GUARANTEE that's going to be on the minds of a few people, heh heh.

And that leads to a question, how long before we see Sony drop the price of the PS2, if at all. They don't need to drop the price since they're comfortably selling a lot and making a decent profit to boot. Then again the prices of the two systems are pretty close. Would it really matter if the prices remain that close?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose that the responses contained here are about par for the course. Sigh.

I guess I don't get the whole waving the flag of a console company who doesn't really give a fuck about you except how and when they can get more money out of you. Nor do I get the idea that gaming would be better off without Nintendo or Sony. A monopoly is not what we want. Even now, where Sony just has a large percentage of the console market, things seem to be trending away from my points of interest. Sure, I'll buy GTA, and sure, we occasionally get something like Katamari Damacy thrown our way, but for the most part, the business focuses on Joe Gamer. Hey, it's a smart business decision, but I don't particularly like it.

The GBA has a virtual monopoly on the handheld market, and while I own a GBA and a large number of games, almost all of them I own are Nintendo's first-party offerings. A good chunk of the third party stuff thrown out there is licensed shovel-ware, quick-buck type games. There's obviously gems in there (Harvest Moon: FoMT, et. al.), but for the most part, it's drek. I mean, there's no point in optomizing it, or whatever, there's really no competition in the market. If someone wants a handheld version of NASCAR or whatever, they've pretty much got that one choice. That being said, I own two GBAs and love them to death.

Say what you will about the DS or the PSP. Or the GBA for all I care. Competition is good for this business. Very good. I'll buy a PSP & a DS, because I'm sure both will offer games that I want to play, which is far more important than hardware specs, perecentage of kiddiness, or sales charts. But I mean, without that, how would GAF exist?

Whatever, I said my piece. Queue 17 more pages of mindless bickering between system fanboys.

OmniGamer

seismologist said:
I read some TGS reports that confirmed that the screen didn't seem as bright as it was in the past. That's probably what you get when it's running off a battery pack.

At the risk of getting my head chopped off....it's interesting that the screen of a system designed to be portable only sees it's full potential whilst being plugged into a socket[/devil's advocate]

Miburou

TekunoRobby said:
The PSP is $200 and the PS2 is $150? OMG Sony is ripping us off on the PS2! I GUARANTEE that's going to be on the minds of a few people, heh heh.

Well the DS is $150 while the GC is $99 with a game packed-in.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Lambtron said:
I guess I don't get the whole waving the flag of a console company who doesn't really give a fuck about you except how and when they can get more money out of you. Nor do I get the idea that gaming would be better off without Nintendo or Sony.
Hey stop trying to make sense; you need a permit for that kind of debauchery around these parts.

Miburou said:
Well the DS is $150 while the GC is $99 with a game packed-in.
And in all of my infinite wisdom I completely skipped over that. Well I can use the scapegoat that this is a Sony thread and therefore I ignored that on purpose. Yeah works perfect, hah!

border

lachesis said:
For once, I agree with border. It is indeed quite similar from DC/PS2 launch in many aespect and very dejavu-ish... and that's why I fear for Nintendo DS's demise. (because, I am actually excited regarding touchscreen/stylus possibilities on handheld game machine.)
The Dreamcast also had "INNOVATIVE FEETURES!1" like dual screens (tv+vmu) and the promise of online play.....both of which were ultimately ignored when mainstreamers heard about the "mind-blowing" graphics of the PS2, and were drawn in by Sony's marketing. DC got slaughtered despite being $150 cheaper and launching over a year earlier.

The DS is maybe $50 cheaper and launching maybe 6 months earlier. Given what has happened in the past (with both Dreamcast and GameCube), that price/time advantage can be neutralized very quickly. If Sony starts the US-based hype rolling ASAP, then look out...

akascream

Banned
Marconelly said:
I wasn't trying to dodge your question, it's just that I like how some of those ports (like Marble Madness) work and play them more than some original games, but that doesn't mean that there are no original games that use stylus in a good way. One thing I can vouch for, though, is that stylys does not work for me at least, in 3D games, like FPS games. There's a very good quake port for example, that uses the stylus in much the same way as MP:H, and I didn't really like it. It's not precise enough somehow, and I think it could be even worse with DS, where you have to hold it with one hand, when device was constructed more to be held with two hands. I'm saying that as the stylys control in FPS game requires as little shaking as possible, if you want to have any kind of precision - and your left hand will shake a bit even when you just start sliding the stylus over the screen a bit more furiously.

Seems like something that a well designed auto-aim would take care of. Console fps have far worse precision issues with analog stick aiming but manage fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would never, ever buy a Sony electronics product at launch. Especially not after what the bastards did to poor old DCharlie...

Haha. This would be touching, if it wasn't for the cast iron guarantee that 'poor old DCharlie' will be in line at Bic Camera at 8am on the 12th, just waiting to throw more money at Sony.

He's a bit like a Consumer Electronics Bulemic.

btrboyev

software tie-ins for DS and PSP are probably gonna be equal to GBA in terms of sales soley to the fact that handheld games can be expensive and console games are still going be the main focus to most gamers even if they own every handheld.

AniHawk

Shoryuken said:
Sony kind of fucked this one up. With their prices (NDS and PSP) relatively close (around $80 with all necessities), this was their chance to get a lead on the DS, but instead they're only launching in one region with only half of the DS's shipment in that region (1 million vs. 500,000 by the end of 2004 in Japan).

DS also has the full month while PSP has just half of it.

Deg

Banned
border said:
Funny how after the price announcement, people have immediately reverted to seeing it as a PSP vs. GBA battle, rather than a PSP vs DS battle.

Calling it a rushed and poorly-conceived stopgap is taking it seriously? I'm not calling it "the next Gameboy" (more likely the new 32X), just pointing out that the two product lines cannot exist independently. When Nintendo crowns a true "next" Gameboy, DS goes away and its features are integrated into the new system. The 3rd Pillar nonsense is just worthless lip service to make consumers and investors feel more comfortable with the product.

Wishful thinking. Its still a DS Vs PSP battle. GBA is out of the question. Its outselling the other systems combined. DS simply cannnot achieve those types of sales. It was never 'designed' or prepared to be a GB.

Anyway i'll let you harp on about the same thing a million times which is clearly just a thinly disguised fanboy troll.

Not by a long shot ElyrionX, this is their first entry into a marketplace which has a near total dominance by a single company. I'd say wait a few months after launch and start analyzing the sell through rate on the PSP (along with games) and then start analyzing the GBA sales and see how much they've dwindled if at all.

So which is it around here? In the latest NPD thread a huge argument breaks out over whether the comparison of GBA sales to PS2/Xbox sales is legitimate (GBA is a seperate market vs GBA is in direct competition with the "Home" consoles). But at the same time people are implying that Sony's handheld is "boldly going where Sony has never gone before," while Sony themselves are pushing PSP as simply the mobile extension of their PlayStation(tm) brand.

I'm not singling any one person out, it just seems like the hypocracy on this issue is spinning out of control.

Top Bottom