• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
aparisi2274 said:
ok So I am not gonna look through all these pages.

I have a question. The regular pack, the one for $190.00 Aside from the obvious things that come with it (PSP, Battery and Charger) do you get a memory stick? I was wondering, because if you dont, how do u save your games????????

You don't. :D

Yeah, but they could also go into a time machine and just have released that stupid SNES CD-ROM, watched it flop, and then had Sony stow back in line by making their future sound processors.

At the end of the day, when the other guy is taking a $150 loss and you don't have the same corporate structure to do that ... I mean what can you really do?

Kutaragi at Sony has almost free reign to do whatever he wants because of his track record. If he wants to do something crazy like this, investors will just look the other way at the other divisions at Sony.

xexex

Banned
i like this quote:

Sony wants the "third pillar" demolished even before it has a chance to be erected and spoil the PSP until a proper GB Advance replacement arrives.

and these also:

Unlike new Gameboy every 18 months plan like Nintendo's, Sony has already stated that the PSP is a 10 year hardware. You won't be seeing PSP 2 in 2 year's time (not counting the little improvements they'll make as they go), that's for sure, but you can count on a new Gameboy before 2 years is up (Nintendo has already stated that a real Gameboy Advance replacement that is not a "third pillar" is in the works, to be unveiled in a year or so).

By aiming for the long haul, they are willing to eat huge losses on the hardware for the first few years until manufacturing processes catches up on costs, while building a PSOne like iron glove stranglehold on the portable marketshare leadership.

2. PSP's technology is advanced enough to compete in the long haul.

Specs for the PSP is certainly well above the DS and anything else in the horizon. Just in polycount, PSP's 33 million per sec theoretical/8 million per sec practical just dwarfs the closest competitor in performance, which is the Tiger Telematic's Gizmondo (thanks to nVidia's GoForce 3D 4500 GPU), rated at 5 million per sec theoretical/sub 1 million per sec practical. DS's 120,000 polys per sec is not even in the same hemisphere

I think you could see a smaller, flip-top model PSP in the future with a larger capacity battery in two years or so (or maybe even a model with a built-in HDD for MP3s and what not).

People eat up portable hardware revisions -- look at the Game Boy and the Apple i-Pod.

I also believe Sony is not only looking at Nintendo. They are also looking to get as large of a userbase with older consumers as they can in case Microsoft decides to eventually come out with a "portable PC" type device that plays games/MP3s/etc. Don't think for a second that Microsoft isn't watching the PSP and i-Pod closely, and don't doubt that Sony doesn't realize that either.

No, it's not a joke. Bill Gates has said they would consider releasing a portable game player, but not yet. But plans can change. The XBox as a console itself was a project that on-again, off-again type deal that got fast tracked into production extremely quickly.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the portable PC moniker for it, but such a device would almost definitely do more than play games.

I think PSP just sends a message to Microsoft a sort of "hey ... don't even think about it".

thefit

soundwave05 said:
No, it's not a joke. Bill Gates has said they would consider releasing a portable game player, but not yet. But plans can change.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the portable PC moniker for it, but such a device would almost definitely do more than play games.

I think PSP just sends a message to Microsoft a sort of "hey ... don't even think about it".

Oh you mean like one of those pocket pc's that do so much....whait let me start over...whait

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No, it's not a joke. Bill Gates has said they would consider releasing a portable game player, but not yet. But plans can change. The XBox as a console itself was a project that on-again, off-again type deal that got fast tracked into production extremely quickly.
Holy shit man, you must have been living under the rock for the past 10 years... Such devices do exist, are made under Microsoft license, and are called Pocket PC...

OK, portable Xenon or whatever you want to call it.

Bill Gates said MS would consider a portable XBox when the graphics technology got to the point where you could replicate XBox graphics on a handheld (I'm guessing he doesn't mean exactly, but relatively).

Well, Sony's already putting out a handheld that can do PS2-level visuals, given that and how much mindshare Apple is gaining with the i-Pod, would it really stun anyone if MS was having some thoughts of releasing a portable?

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

EDIT: Yes I understand there are Pocket PC devices. However, I'm talking about something expressly made by Microsoft to play games/music/video, just as Microsoft makes the XBox as a console. You don't lump the XBox in as being the same an nVidia graphics card for a PC.

jiggle

Wow, I'm a little slow. It just occurred to me that PSP comes out 10 days after DS in Japan. Not competing my ass. Too bad it's delayed in the US:(

Pachinko

How can everyone be so hyped about this ? Was I the only one that noticed the battery life is 4-6 hours ? That would imply that if a game utilized the UMD drive frequently , the game could only be played for 4 hours before it died completly. 4 hours!

Also I fully expect this thing to cost more in the US comparitavly. 249.99 USD I think, it'll be the same as the regular japanese model but come with a demo disc or some shit.

When the battery life hits 8 hours minumum, then I may get interested in this. In the meantime I suggest sony haters pick one up because based on the 10 year plan and everything for this portable , sony is probaly eating each system 3 times over when it comes to making money.

You know I'd like to see an old school PSOne game -- Intelligence Qube come out for the PSP. I really enjoyed that back in the day and it seems like a perfect portable title. I know Sony was the publisher, but I don't know who the developer was.

SomeDude

Banned
I think Sony is going to end up with about 75% of the handheld market share within 2 years. There are plenty of innovative games coming out on the current consoles. Just because the Psp doesn't have a stylus or 2 screens doesn't mean it won't have innovation. Plus, I'd rather play racing/adventure/action/etc games on something that has about the power of a ps2 than a system that has 2d graphics comparable to a SNES/GBA or 3d to a Nintendo 64.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i'm sure this has probably been confirmed somewhere on this monster thread - but i'm not trawling through to find out :p from lik sang's updated PSP page :

"Update: Sony has now also confirmed that the PSP will be Region Free for games. You can play games worldwide from any region! This is some brilliant news for import gamers worldwide!"

nice :D

jiggle

julls said:
i'm sure this has probably been confirmed somewhere on this monster thread - but i'm not trawling through to find out :p from lik sang's updated PSP page :

"Update: Sony has now also confirmed that the PSP will be Region Free for games. You can play games worldwide from any region! This is some brilliant news for import gamers worldwide!"

nice :D

Yeah, ign comfirmed it. posted in the thread on region lock.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
jiggle said:
Yeah, ign comfirmed it. posted in the thread on region lock.

there's a thread on region lock? oh :p

edit : i'd also like to add my rabid demand for katamari damacy on psp - bit hard with only one analog stick.. but i guess they managed ape escape (i think :p ) OHHH .. i think i'd actually weep like a little girl if that was released

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pachinko said:
How can everyone be so hyped about this ?
Dunno...maybe the fact that most of the unanswered questions have just been answered in one fell swoop is the source of most of the excitement? Assuming of course you were interested in the PSP in the first place...that'd probably help understand the excitement.

"How can anyone be so hyped about something *I* don't like? The nerve of them!" :p

Was I the only one that noticed the battery life is 4-6 hours ? That would imply that if a game utilized the UMD drive frequently , the game could only be played for 4 hours before it died completly. 4 hours!
Did more than notice it - I've been expecting it for months now. If you've got more than 4 hrs in a day on a regular basis to play games that's not situated nearby a fixed power source in order to allow you to recharge, then you're either a far more transient person than I or living in Antarctica. Either way, I doubt you were the target audience that Sony was aiming for here...

When the battery life hits 8 hours minumum, then I may get interested in this.
*sighs* I envy the life you must have to do nothing but play games for 8 hrs straight. Shit, for someone to have so much time to just play games, I'd imagine you must be sitting on top of a decent amount of money...in which case, you could probably afford a pile of spare batteries for this thing, which would extend the effective battery life well past 8 hrs!

Brofist

kaching said:
Did more than notice it - I've been expecting it for months now. If you've got more than 4 hrs in a day on a regular basis to play games that's not situated nearby a fixed power source in order to allow you to recharge, then you're either a far more transient person than I or living in Antarctica. Either way, I doubt you were the target audience that Sony was aiming for here...

*sighs* I envy the life you must have to do nothing but play games for 8 hrs straight. Shit, for someone to have so much time to just play games, I'd imagine you must be sitting on top of a decent amount of money...in which case, you could probably afford a pile of spare batteries for this thing, which would extend the effective battery life well past 8 hrs!

Haha really I was thinking the same thing, if you play a portable for more than 4 hours a clip you have more problems than PSP battery life.

Meh. Just buy a second battery pack and you get 8-12 hours. You only really need that much for a long time, in which case, I doubt really its unfeasible to also carry around a second battery that's only the size of a GBA cartridge anyway.

Brannon

Just now catching this thread. This is good news, as at this price point, more early adopters will be tempted to buy and therefore test it for the rest of us.

Smart move Sony, thumbs up. But I'm still not buying it right off the bat yet you crazy cads you :p

jiggle

soundwave05 said:
Meh. Just buy a second battery pack and you get 8-12 hours. You only really need that much for a long time, in which case, I doubt really its unfeasible to also carry around a second battery that's only the size of a GBA cartridge anyway.

That's unacceptable. I cannot spare 10 seconds to change battery! I need the full 8 hours a day damnit! >_<

neptunes

041027i.jpg

pack.jpg

why is the power cord from the AC to Outlet detachable?

border

Pachinko said:
Also I fully expect this thing to cost more in the US comparitavly. 249.99 USD I think, it'll be the same as the regular japanese model but come with a demo disc or some shit.
Even though Sony has never priced a product high in the US at launch? I wouldn't be surprised at all by $179.99, but $199.99 seems more likely.

why is the power cord from the AC to Outlet detachable?
My best guess is so they can save money (and perhaps you can save money) on a cigaratte lighter adapter. When they make that accessory in the future, they won't have to connect another clunky AC adapter to it.....you just plug it in to the one you currently have.

neptunes

edit that out!

It says wireless LAN. I took pspinsider's report the wrong way.

The PSP version of GT4 is going to be an exact port of the PS2 version (minus a few formatting changes for the screen differences) with the addition of the beloved online play. This announcement is sure to please fans who were angered by lack of online play on the PS2 version, now that the best racing simulator ever is coming to PSP.
:there needs to be a correction:

The only thing the article says is:

Sony also confirmed today that GT4 Mobile will allow players to compete with each other via the handheld's wireless LAN connection

They're likely just talking about standard WiFi connection.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't get too giddy about any news on the GT4 mobile front just yet...they did after all just take online OUT of the premiere version of the title on the PS2...and we've yet to see any credible media of the actual PSP version in motion, so I wouldn't be so sure about dates either.

shpankey

not an idiot
Bolded emphasis mine...

kitchenmotors said:
Oh, shut up.

Geez, everytime there is some sort of announcement all the idiots from other boards come out and register to troll.

You do realize that Sony is the one who is going to have an uphill battle? Nintendo's dominance isn't a struggle hold on the market, they have dominance because they know the handheld market very well.
lol, funny, looking at your account Junior Member boy, and looking at your posts, this posts actually pegs you more than anyone else.

kitchenmotors said:
No, junior member, because I'm thinking with a bit of common sense. You don't take hold of any market in a second, like so many Sony fans are declaring in this thread. How is it possible for a new competitor to take complete control of a market and get the entire marketshare? It's not fucking possible, as much as you would like to believe.

Nintendo isn't doomed. PSP is a multimedia device that happens to play games. GBA is a pure handheld game system, which you cannot count out because NDS still plays GBA games and GBA sells more than anything other hardware at the moment. NDS is a multipurpose game and communication device. All three have different attributes to their advantages, and this is where the market will split. It won't split evenly, because, face it...PSP is going against Gameboy and Pokemon.

This announcement is exciting, but Sony has a lot to learn about the handheld market just yet.
lol, why are you calling someone else a Junior Member like a cut down when you're a Junior Member? Or is it as I think, you're a Nintendo fanboy who ran out and made a new account to post all your bullshit on and to back your real account up. Let me guess, you forgot you were using your Jr. bullshit account didn't you? lol

shpankey

not an idiot
p.s. i want to point out I called the price way back in the prediction thread. I remember quite a few of us saying $199, which I also stated, with the added point that they would not in any way go over $249.

bing bang boom! i was only $4 off though, woot.

Man, PSP with FF7, Gran Turismo 4 and all those games at this price with this functionality? sold!

hell, my daughter requested a DS for Christmas which I was gonna get her, but now I'm gonna order a PSP for both of us instead heh. sweetness.

I always thought that dual screen shit was fucking retarded anyhow. actually the whole thing is just big and fugly.

p.s. I agree with the guy who said neither new handheld will unseat the GBA/SP for quite some time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nintendo is a traditional video game company. They can't just say "well we're gonna take $500 million in losses the next two years on our game division, but hey we have a movie or electronics division to distract our shareholders".

Sony doesn't either. Their Playstation section is propping up their consumer electronics section at the moment - something like 40% of revenue is coming from Playstation.

So I'd say Sony Playstation and Nintendo are in exactly the same position - the games are where the money is. The difference is that Sony seem to be playing the long game, and are willing to gamble hard on the outcome. Nintendo just seem to want to sit there with piles of cash.

btrboyev

Man, PSP with FF7, Gran Turismo 4 and all those games at this price with this functionality? sold!

hell, my daughter requested a DS for Christmas which I was gonna get her, but now I'm gonna order a PSP for both of us instead heh. sweetness.

FF7 is not FF7 though. Can your daughter read japanese?? If she wants a DS why not get her one and just buy yourself a psp when it hits the US?

I always thought that dual screen shit was fucking retarded anyhow. actually the whole thing is just big and fugly.

actually its not big, just a tad bigger than a GBA:SP, like PSP.

p.s. I agree with the guy who said neither new handheld will unseat the GBA/SP for quite some time.
Of course not, unless the DS launches at $99, it could have a chance in about 3-4 years

I don't see DS or PSP selling anywhere near GBA levels in the same timeframe.

The $99 or less price point is the sweet spot for handhelds

border

mrklaw said:
The difference is that Sony seem to be playing the long game, and are willing to gamble hard on the outcome. Nintendo just seem to want to sit there with piles of cash.
LISTING OF INTERESTING OR IRONIC PARALLELS THAT I EXPECT TO SEE WHIPPED OUT SOONER OR LATER, VOLUME 2:

Xbox vs. GameCube : A new competitor that is willing to gamble with huge losses enters the market, firmly gunning against an entrenched veteran. Fanboys spend years bragging about the veteran's huge bank account, even as the veteran's marketshare is slashed in half.

shpankey

not an idiot
heh ^^

FF7 is not FF7 though. Can your daughter read japanese?? If she wants a DS why not get her one and just buy yourself a psp when it hits the US?
Shows what I know, I thought it was coming out here in Dec, I see now that's Japan (thnx for the heads up). Guess my hand is forced now... I'll have to get her the DS. She was kinda into the chat/stylus thing over wireless anyhow (think maybe to chat with friends in school or whatever) but I was hoping (or the idea was at least) we could wireless game together on PSP's. :(

Midas

shpankey said:
heh ^^

Shows what I know, I thought it was coming out here in Dec, I see now that's Japan (thnx for the heads up). Guess my hand is forced now... I'll have to get her the DS. She was kinda into the chat/stylus thing over wireless anyhow (think maybe to chat with friends in school or whatever) but I was hoping (or the idea was at least) we could wireless game together on PSP's. :(

Haha, and this guy is bashing "Junior Members".

AniHawk

shpankey said:
heh ^^

You're gonna be a mess if she gets married (not meant as an insult- just sounds like you'd want to bond with her on this, and I've got nothing against a family man :)).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
border said:
LISTING OF INTERESTING OR IRONIC PARALLELS THAT I EXPECT TO SEE WHIPPED OUT SOONER OR LATER, VOLUME 2:

Xbox vs. GameCube : A new competitor that is willing to gamble with huge losses enters the market, firmly gunning against an entrenched veteran. Fanboys spend years bragging about the veteran's huge bank account, even as the veteran's marketshare is slashed in half.

Oy! piss off. I'm not bragging about the veterans pile of cash, simply pointing out they are content to sit on it. I'm criticising that position.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Jonnyram said:
Some cool size comparisons (sorry if posted already, I can't wade through all these pages now)
Can't be bothered checking for myself... are the comparisons based on the resolution of the screens or the relative sizes?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jonnyram said:
Some cool size comparisons (sorry if posted already, I can't wade through all these pages now)

SCREEN
post-54-1097959782.gif

SHELL
pspGBAds2.jpg

Either the pictures of the consoles are not up to scale or the screen comparison shot is merely a screen resolution comparison shot: the GBA screen in the grid picture is not smaller horizontally than the GBA screen (not noticeably if it is... instead it almost seems bigger). The DS has a screen with an aspect ratio closer to 4:3 (probably they thought that modifying the aspect ratio for their 3D games would have changed the gameplay too much) and we can see in the gride picture how the diagonal of the DS screen is longer than the diagonal of the GBA screen.

I do not like pure resolution pictures like the one above as they forget about aspect ratio and screen dimensions.

Top Bottom