• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mashoutposse said:
...Yet a lot of people have been able to justify buying iPods and nice cell phones. Nintendo themselves may have a problem selling an expensive handheld because of their reputation; I certainly wouldn't buy a $150-200 Nintendo handheld when all I have seen are underpowered 2D based machines that don't look like they should cost more than $99. The PSP, however, is designed in a way that its value smacks you right in the face -- body design, screen, graphics, and even the optical drive will make people say to themselves, "Yeah, it's worth it." I mean, it looks like a $300+ product already.

And anyway, people who complain about pricing are the reason that consoles continue to sell for years -- the PSP won't be $200 forever (but I do believe that the first price drop will take a long, long time a la PS2).

the reason prices are justified for cell phones and music players is that you can use them anywhere. you can play games and watch movies while

A. walking
B. driving

They can use them anywhere. handhelds arent being used every time one stops for a break either. to be honest 150 IS expensive for a handheld, cause i know most of the time ill just play it at home or in a car trip.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sp0rsk said:
the reason prices are justified for cell phones and music players is that you can use them anywhere. you can play games and watch movies while

A. walking
B. driving

They can use them anywhere. handhelds arent being used every time one stops for a break either. to be honest 150 IS expensive for a handheld, cause i know most of the time ill just play it at home or in a car trip.

Do you mean can't?

You shouldn't use your ipod or mobile while driving either. So that leave walking as the USP!?

sprsk

mrklaw said:
Do you mean can't?

You shouldn't use your ipod or mobile while driving either. So that leave walking as the USP!?

yeah i meant cant.

you can put your ipod on before you start driving and cell phones have hands free shit for the car.

you *cant* sit there and play a game while driving. and i dont know about you but most adults (people who will be buying the psp) arent always sitting in the passenger seat, and even then if they are they wont be playing games while doing so.

Think about how often adults even use their gbasps! ask the people on this forum!

Mrbob

DrGAKMAN said:
Another great victory for the Sony hype machine/PR bandwagon/image department/mindshare war. They're always good at that. Right now it's looking as though Nintendo is doomed...but the keyword is "looking".

Let's face it, by the time the PSP launches in the U.S. The Nintendo DS will either be $129 or better yet $99 which is still $70 to $100 cheaper! In the mean time the DS will have garnered support from developers & gamers, unique features the PSP doesn't have and has the back catalog of GBA games to keep it chugging..

I dunno dude. Dropping the price so quickly would piss off a lot of people who bought the DS at Xmas. It would be bad timing and it would bring a negative impact on Nintendo for dropping the price so soon. Drop the price right away before launch or hold tight. You drop 4 months after you launch it will be looked as in a negative light.

As for game prices, I don't think we need to use fuzzy math to make points. Most DS games are priced at 40 bucks and PSP games are expected to cost 40.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
As for game prices, I don't think we need to use fuzzy math to make points. Most DS games are priced at 40 bucks and PSP games are expected to cost 40.
The only known official DS MSRPs on record are $19.99, $29.99 and $34.99. Everything else is placeholder, with no information from any publisher.

Mrbob

Link me. I'd like to see an official announcement on that. We are like 3 weeks from launch and retailers still don't have correct prices? That's crazy.

sprsk

Mrbob said:
Link me. I'd like to see an official announcement on that. We are like 3 weeks from launch and retailers still don't have correct prices? That's crazy.

gamestop retail store computers have the right prices.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sp0rsk said:
the reason prices are justified for cell phones and music players is that you can use them anywhere.
I'm not exactly buying what mash was selling in his last post, but this response isn't any better. First, HDD-based music players aren't recommended for use in situations with a lot of jarring motion, such as when jogging, and even hands-free cellphone users should avoid using their phones at certain times - just wait till you encounter a few going 50mph in the high-speed/passing lane on the highway because they're too involved in their conversation.

There isn't any portable device truly qualified to be used anywhere, anytime. If you attempt to claim there is such a thing, you're just defending a marketing line.

What it boils down to is whether or not there are enough situations where you could use the device in question.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Here's a quote from Matt Bozon (of WayForward Technologies) on the IGN forums (no link sorry)...

On Ping Pals:

I'm glad its now $19.99....makes it easier to swallow since it is 50% PictoChat. Some other details that seem to have slipped between the cracks:

Here's various links to Nintendo's $29.99 software announcement...

http://videogames.weblogsinc.com/entry/1905782812512113/
http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/super-mario-64-x4/554937p1.html
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4785
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/06/news_6109867.html

And here's the link for a $34.99 price from Telegames...

...now can you give me one official confirmation of a DS game being priced at $39.99? Something that's not placeholder at online retail?

Brofist

There shouldn't even be a debate, the PSP is a gaming device first, UMD movie player second, and music and other stuff last. It's obvious it aint the be all end all portable music device, even Sony knows it, ot they'd be worried about undercutting their own HD based music players and walkman series. If it sells a few extra 512 MB/1 GB memory sticks by making it a secondary music player, they've already done their job.

I might buy a large capacity memory stick for it, but not for music only...hopefully it'll be for other stuff.

I just think it's very, very doubtful someone goes into an electronics shop looking only for a music device and leaves with a PSP. Highly.

Mrbob

All those links you sent me use the price point as speculation from differnet sources (I.E. USA Today). I'd like to see an official comment from Nintendo themselves. The only reason I bring this up since those prices on the websites have not changed and we are 3 weeks from launch.

And I wouldn't use Ping Pals as an example. I want to see how real games are priced not ones that are 50 percent pictochat.

Brofist

jarrod said:
Here's a quote from Matt Bozon (of WayForward Technologies) on the IGN forums (no link sorry)...

Here's various links to Nintendo's $29.99 software announcement...

http://videogames.weblogsinc.com/entry/1905782812512113/
http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/super-mario-64-x4/554937p1.html
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4785
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/06/news_6109867.html

And here's the link for a $34.99 price from Telegames...

...now can you give me one official confirmation of a DS game being priced at $39.99? Something that's not placeholder at online retail?

Given that there may be high demand for DS games, isn't it possible that games are marked up at retail, thus the possibility the games sell for $40 for a while.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
All those links you sent me use the price point as speculation from differnet sources (I.E. USA Today). I'd like to see an official comment from Nintendo themselves. The only reason I bring this up since those prices on the websites have not changed and we are 3 weeks from launch.

And I wouldn't use Ping Pals as an example. I want to see how real games are priced not ones that are 50 percent pictochat.
No those articles reflect the $29.99 price point Nintendo announced at their Gamer's Summit. Nintendo themselves had the $29.99 price point (you could even see a slide of it on G4's coverage of the event).

Again, can I have any official confirmation of $40 DS games?

kpop100 said:
Given that there may be high demand for DS games, isn't it possible that games are marked up at retail, thus the possibility the games sell for $40 for a while.
It's possible, though that's not what the MSRPs are.

Mrbob

jarrod said:
No those articles reflect the $29.99 price point Nintendo announced at their Gamer's Summit. Nintendo themselves had the $29.99 price point (you could even see a slide of it on G4's coverage of the event).

Again, can I have any official confirmation of $40 DS games?

I don't have any besides the retail prices. That's what I mean, though. If Nintendo announced this 30 price tags which looks like was over a week or so ago why do retailers still have the game prices jacked up?! I don't remember any launch ever being handled so poorly in regards to pricing.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
I don't have any besides the retail prices. That's what I mean, though. If Nintendo announced this 30 price tags which looks like was over a week or so ago why do retailers still have the game prices jacked up?! I don't remember any launch ever being handled so poorly in regards to pricing.
Well, exactly what launch games are these retailers saying $39.99 for? Most of them? How many games are they saying $29.99 over?

Mrbob

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/nintendo_ds/

Looks like EB fixed some of them but a lot of them are 40 or even higher. And they have ping pals for 30. Gamestop is high too. Is the 30 dollar price tag just for launch titles? Because the non launch ones are all higher.

Dynasty Warriors DS 50 bucks?!?! :(

And why does the EBgames page say this under every title:

The ship date and retail price have not been confirmed and therefore are subject to change. If the retail price is decreased you will receive the lower price.

I thought this was all official?! Wouldn't they know by now?

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/nintendo_ds/

Looks like EB fixed some of them but a lot of them are 40 or even higher. And they have ping pals for 30. Gamestop is high too. Is the 30 dollar price tag just for launch titles? Because the non launch ones are all higher.

Dynasty Warriors DS 50 bucks?!?! :(

And why does the EBgames page say this under every title:

I thought this was all official?! Wouldn't they know by now?
Why would they know for Dynsaty Warriors DS? It's still a good 6-8+ months from release.

Again, the only thing you should be looking at is launch games. That's all they might have any sort of confirmation for.

sprsk

kaching said:
I'm not exactly buying what mash was selling in his last post, but this response isn't any better. First, HDD-based music players aren't recommended for use in situations with a lot of jarring motion, such as when jogging,.

hmmm, then i wonder why they sell those arm straps for ipod minis....GEE I WONDER.

SolidSnakex said:
Since this is basically the official PSP thread now, PSP Puzzle Bobble screens:

puzzle03.jpg

puzzle04.jpg

puzzle06.jpg

puzzle07.jpg

puzzle08.jpg

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041029/puzzle.htm

!!! :-O SOLD.

FnordChan

sp0rsk said:
you *cant* sit there and play a game while driving. and i dont know about you but most adults (people who will be buying the psp) arent always sitting in the passenger seat, and even then if they are they wont be playing games while doing so.

While I don't know if they count as most adults, remember there are a lot of folks out there who have daily commutes on the subway and/or train, not to mention business travellers bouncing around on airplanes on a regular basis. At $200 to play games, listen to some music, and possibly watch a movie, there are a fair number of adult early adopters with cash and a lot of time spent each day sitting on their ass that are going to be all over the PSP.

FnordChan

sprsk

kaching said:
'Cuz an armband is only useful if you want to do jarring exercise...

iPod mini Arm Band

Use the optional neoprene arm band to wear your lightweight iPod mini - perfect for keeping iPod mini secure while running or working out. Supports iPod mini.
Price

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9445G/A

subways and such, yeah i guess thats where they would use it. but alot of those people have laptops\palm hardware as well. Here in tennessee there are no subways or trains for commute and that goes for most of the country.

FnordChan

sp0rsk said:
subways and such, yeah i guess thats where they would use it. but alot of those people have laptops\palm hardware as well. Here in tennessee there are no subways or trains for commute and that goes for most of the country.

Yeah, there's a dearth of public transportation in North Carolina, too. However, that's off-set by the sheer number of folks in the really big cities where train and subway travel is common. I'm not saying it's going to provide for the majority of sales or anything, but non-driving commuter adults are a valid source of PSP lust.

And, yes, laptops and palm devices are all over the place, but it's nice to be able to reach into a coat pocket and pull out a PSP to watch a flick on, rather than dig up the bulkier laptop, or to play the really bad-ass games on your PSP instead of relying what's available for your palm gadget.

FnordChan

sprsk

FnordChan said:
And, yes, laptops and palm devices are all over the place, but it's nice to be able to reach into a coat pocket and pull out a PSP to watch a flick on, rather than dig up the bulkier laptop, or to play the really bad-ass games on your PSP instead of relying what's available for your palm gadget.

FnordChan

this is true. (unless they already have a laptop or palm pilot, would they really want to carry around another super expensive high tech toy?)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sporsk, an iPod has moving parts just like, say, a minidisc or a CD player. There is the potential to crash the system or do physical damage to the internal mechanism. If anything, the armstraps are an attempt to reduce the problems associated with this kind of use, not a validation of this type of use as harmless to the device.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyway, who ever said it was just for travelling? Thats probably the least likely scenario for me. I don't pretend to speak for others, but I'm more likely to use it in different locations, not while getting there.

eg, on a plane (travelling). At a hotel in Finland (not travelling). At home snatching a quick game while the wife is watching TV (not travelling). At lunchtime at work (not travelling)

NohWun

Mrbob said:

PSP Japan game prices were announced. Most titles were going for around $48.

As for DS game prices, we'll see soon enough.

Again, both are good machines:
- PSP appeals to the older crowd with more $$
- DS appeals to younger crowd with fewer $$
- lots of crossover due to unique abilities of either machine
- it really will depend upon the available software, of course

In Japan, PSP and NDS software cost about the same. The two PSP games whose prices were revealed cost 5040 yen, with tax included. Nintendo's games cost as follows (all these are tax included as well):

12.02.04 Super Mario 64 DS Nintendo 4800
12.02.04 Pokemon Dash Nintendo 4800
12.02.04 Band Brothers Nintendo 4800
12.02.04 Chokkan Hito Fude Nintendo 3800
12.02.04 Zoo Keepers Success TBA
12.02.04 Mahjong Taikai Koei 3780
12.02.04 The Urbz: Sims in the City Electronic Arts 5040
12.02.04 Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru Sega 5040
12.02.04 Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta Spike 5040
12.02.04 Tounou ni Asekaku Game Series! Vol. 1 Cool 10 4 Joker & Setline Aruze TBA
12.02.04 Mister Driller Drill Spirits Namco 5040
12.02.04 Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 4800
12.24.04 Puyo Puyo Fever Sega 5040

You can't use the Japanese prices of games to predict their American prices. In Japan, Dragon Quest 8 has a list price of something like $90.

NohWun

(losing momentum... won't make it to 1000 posts... unless...) :)

Given Sony's history of laser problems on consoles, are people confident they can make a lasting laser mechanism for a portable? How many people will be getting some kind of insurance for their PSP?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
NohWun said:
(losing momentum... won't make it to 1000 posts... unless...) :)

Given Sony's history of laser problems on consoles, are people confident they can make a lasting laser mechanism for a portable? How many people will be getting some kind of insurance for their PSP?

Isn't it possible that games can be read off of the memory sticks? I believe I read that. Maybe companies will offere games with some kind of encyrption to stop piracy

Miburou

From my experience, every console with an optical media drive can develop problems. Since Sony was successfully sued for that, I would expect them to put more effort towards making the drive as reliable as possible.

u_neek

Doom_Bringer said:
Need for Speed Underground instead of New Ridge Racer? :lol :lol

You are nuts.

I understand him, he wants to show of the PSP's graphical powers...... oh....

u_neek

There's no warranty when you order from Play-Asia or Nscx?

I mean, if all the launch units fucked up and all - it is Sony you know..

Midas

1000 posts before move to forum archive? :)

My friend pre-orderd at Playasia.com the other day. He then sends me a message on icq; "wtf?! you told me they wouldn't charge my card until they shipped". Guess what he picked as payment method? Paypal. :p

Miburou

But if I use my VISA to pre-order from Play-Asia, I wouldn't be charged until it shipped, and cancelling wouldn't be a problem, right?

I might pre-order it, but it somehow feels like a hollow purchase. If I were going to Japan this December like I had originally planned, I'd definitely get one with 3-4 launch games.

Oh, and post +1.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
PSP Value Pack ($269.99) + Lumines ($48.90) + Ridge Racers ($48.90) + Minna No Golf Portable ($48.90) = $416.69 = 75% of my rent. :lol

I'm really thinking about going for it though...it would be so cool to walk around the mall with a PSP, just to see all the looks. That screen is an instant lady magnet, every guy at TGS with a PSP had a girl right next to him. :p

I'll see how much money I have on December 10th. If I have an extra $300, then I'll take the dip. Maybe I could be ok with just Ridge Racers and Lumines? I just really wish there was a huge launch title that we make me go for it, you know? Something like GT4 Mobile or some type of rpg would make me feel so much better.

But if I'm getting a PSP, it has to be the value pack. I need all the cases and headphones that comes with, I'm not even thinking about the standard package. No way I would take my PSP out of the house without a protective case.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, no charge until it ships, and cancelling is just a matter of hitting a button on your order status page. i probably sound like i'm advertising for them. :/

Midas

I wonder how many of the people that pre-ordered will actually get their PSP's. I mean, 200K at launch in Japan. That aint much...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's entirely likely that importers will be short on units and/or jack up the prices absurdly. 200k is a really small launch figure...how many ps2s were there at japanese launch? but i placed my preorder almost as soon as the page went up, so here's hoping.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Midas said:
I wonder how many of the people that pre-ordered will actually get their PSP's. I mean, 200K at launch in Japan. That aint much...

That is true, that is why I preordered the day of the announcement. I really have no clue how this will play out.

Top Bottom