• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ok i'm confused - i was reading back in the thread - heaps of people have said its definitely region locked - and someone replied 'no it isn't ' or along those lines :p cos if it is.. i cant really justify buying one as i dont know any japanese.. but if not.. gimme that sweeeeeet-sws-sw-sw-swwweeet

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Mr_Furious said:
Exactly! Otherwise, we'd still be playing sub-SNES quality games on our portables for the next few years with zero motivation for Nintendo to release their DS.
Nonsense.

AniHawk

btrboyev said:
I wasn't trying to get attention, just giving my opinion on the comment about the 1994 comment. clearly its a different ball game in 2004.

I didn't say you were seeking attention, I said that everyone will focus theirs on your post.

kitchenmotors said:
.......where Nintendo was already losing ground to Sega.
HAHAHAHAHAHA................wait........what?

The only time Nintendo really lost any real ground to Sega was when MK released to the home market. Censorship caused ALOT of gamers to buy a Genesis. Nintendo didn't let that last long though. SNES won the 16-bit wars and their total console sales figures proves it.

jiggle

julls said:
ok i'm confused - i was reading back in the thread - heaps of people have said its definitely region locked - and someone replied 'no it isn't ' or along those lines :p cos if it is.. i cant really justify buying one as i dont know any japanese.. but if not.. gimme that sweeeeeet-sws-sw-sw-swwweeet

It's not confirmed in any announcement. Various interviews have been jumping back and forth on this, concerning games. The movie part seems definite.

Although if the system accepts firmware upgrade, I'd imagine that's the first thing the pirates will get to work on.

kitchenmotors said:
Explain to me then, since you're sooo unbiased. Had Nintendo not already lost half the market to Sega during the 16-bit war?

No, they didn't at all. In fact they've destroyed all their consoles after Mega Drive with the bare SNES. And the Saturn already wasn't shaping up to turn into something major less then a year after the release.

Jonnyram

kitchenmotors said:
Had Nintendo not already lost half the market to Sega during the 16-bit war?
No... the Megadrive did not do that well in Japan. (17 millon SFC vs 3.6 million MD). Meanwhile the rest of the world was never 100% Nintendo before the 16-bit days either, thanks to Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision and Sega's Master System.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
jiggle said:
It's not confirmed in any announcement. Various interviews have been jumping back and forth on this, concerning games. The movie part seems definite.

Although if the system accepts firmware upgrade, I'd imagine that's the first thing the pirates will get to work on.

ahh nice - thanks for the info :)

As I recall though, Sega, for the majority of the 16-bit era, was beating Nintendo in hardware sales. Not until after DKC was released that then they barely beat Sega.

btrboyev

No, they didn't at all. And the Saturn already wasn't shaping up to turn into something major less then a year after the release.

genesis had the lead up until the very end of 94 when they were starting to focus on next gen, I'd call that winning.

and saturn outsold the playstation 2:1 for almost an entire year in japan, and the saturn outsold the n64 in japan as well.

Jonnyram said:
No... the Megadrive did not do that well in Japan. (17 millon SFC vs 3.6 million MD). Meanwhile the rest of the world was never 100% Nintendo before the 16-bit days either, thanks to Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision and Sega's Master System.

Just to confirm, I'm talking worldwide sales, not Japan. :p

megateto

Sony has just pulled off the same thing on Nintendo as they did with Sega years ago when both PSX and Saturn were announced at that E3...

Woouououou¡¡¡

mashoutposse

Ante Up
cybamerc said:
Nonsense.

Are you suggesting that Nintendo intended the GBA to have a "premier platform" life of only 3.5 years??? Make no mistake, there's something new coming out as a direct result of Sony's actions. GBA would have been another 7-10 year deal if not for PSP.

btrboyev

actually nintendo has stated the DS was in development before the psp announcement.

Sony has just pulled off the same thing on Nintendo as they did with Sega years ago when both PSX and Saturn were announced at that E3...

Woouououou¡¡¡

actually no....the psp is still more expensive

jiggle

mashoutposse said:
Are you suggesting that Nintendo intended the GBA to have a "premier platform" life of only 3.5 years??? Make no mistake, there's something new coming out as a direct result of Sony's actions. GBA would have been another 7-10 year deal if not for PSP.

It's the 3rd pillar damnit!!:)

btrboyev said:
actually nintendo has stated the DS was in development before the psp announcement.

And I would say, by what we've heard from developers, the development atmosphere around DS seems more solid than PSP, leading to believe that DS was not just a knee-jerk announcement to PSP.

Shoryuken

As I remember it the SNES was slightly ahead (relatively speaking) of the Genesis when Sega moved on to the Saturn. It was only after SNES became a budget console that it opened up its big lead on Genesis. Total console shipments today are estimated at 49 million for the SNES and 35 million for the Genesis.

Midas

kitchenmotors said:
And I would say, by what we've heard from developers, the development atmosphere around DS seems more solid than PSP, leading to believe that DS was not just a knee-jerk announcement to PSP.

I believe this. But the question is how fast the DS would've been released if it wasnt for the PSP.

AniHawk

kitchenmotors said:

Yeah, but PS2 was supposedly difficult to develop for, and it turned out just peachy.

Jonnyram

kitchenmotors said:
Just to confirm, I'm talking worldwide sales, not Japan. :p
Exactly, so you might like to know that the NES sold nearly 62 million, while the Atari VCS sold 20 million. I don't have figures for SMS, IV and CV, but they were pretty big sellers too. I don't see how you think Nintendo had 100% of the market before the 16-bit era, and then lost half of it to Sega. SNES sold 49 million worldwide, MD sold 34 million. That's not even 50/50 anyway

btrboyev said:
Maybe before the PSP's announcement but probably not before the PSP was in development. Sony's been hinting about entering the portable market since back in the 32-bit days and most likely had various prototypes and design ideas that got scrapped before finally deciding on the PSP as we see it today. Nintendo's just putting a spin on words ;)

btrboyev

yeah but what your saying is the ds is the result of the psp, which it is not..if it were, it would be in the gameboy line and have specs similar if not better than the psp.

cybamerc

mashoutposse:

> Are you suggesting that Nintendo intended the GBA to have a "premier platform" life of
> only 3.5 years??? Make no mistake, there's something new coming out as a direct result
> of Sony's actions. GBA would have been another 7-10 year deal if not for PSP.

1. NDS is not a Game Boy
2. When GBA launched Nintendo stated that GBA wouldn't have a lifespan as long as the first Game Boy

Mr_Furious:

> Maybe before the PSP's announcement but probably not before the PSP was in
> development.

PSP development started shortly before the E3 announcement.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
btrboyev said:
yeah but what your saying is the ds is the result of the psp, which it is not..if it were, it would be in the gameboy line and have specs similar if not better than the psp.

1. NDS is not a Game Boy
2. When GBA launched Nintendo stated that GBA wouldn't have a lifespan as long as the first Game Boy

Honestly, how can anyone *not* see that the DS was brought on by the PSP? 20+ million GBAs are sold annually; why in the world would Nintendo introduce yet another handheld a short 3.5 years in, and a mere 18 months after a major revision?

Seriously, folks.

btrboyev said:
No I'm not. What I'm saying is the PSP is the motivation for Nintendo's reason to release the DS sooner. I'm confident that if it weren't for the PSP, the DS would still be waiting in the wings while the GBA soaked up a ton more profit before finally releasing.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm excited for the DS and I'm excited for the PSP. I don't think either will own each other. Someone kill me I'm the glitch in the system.

AniHawk

mashoutposse said:
Honestly, how can anyone *not* see that the DS was brought on by the PSP? 20+ million GBAs are sold annually; why in the world would Nintendo introduce yet another handheld a short 3.5 years in, and a mere 18 months after a major revision?

Seriously, folks.

They released the GBA 2 years after the successful GBC.

Nintendo's thinking is that they can convince people to buy the GBA and DS as long as the DS is marketed towards the audience Sony is going for, and market the GBA for everyone. We'll definitely be seeing GBA 2 much sooner than expected with this PSP news, though (unless the PSP bombs, which is un-bloody-likely).

TekunoRobby said:
I'm excited for the DS and I'm excited for the PSP. I don't think either will own each other. Someone kill me I'm the glitch in the system.

You and jarrod think this. We all need to sit down and have a talk with you two.

cybamerc

mashoutposse said:
Honestly, how can anyone *not* see that the DS was brought on by the PSP?
Nintendo works in mysterious ways. Seriously though, Nintendo has been talking about the stagnation of the industry for many years now and the NDS is an answer to that. I also see it as the future budget platform. The Game Boy line will have to evolve and become more powerful meaning that games will be more expensive to make. NDS is a lower spec platform which additionally offers completely new, experimental features.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
cybamerc said:
Nintendo works in mysterious ways. Seriously though, Nintendo has been talking about the stagnation of the industry for many years now and the NDS is an answer to that. I also see it as the future budget platform. The Game Boy line will have to evolve and become more powerful meaning that games will be more expensive to make. NDS is a lower spec platform which additionally offers completely new, experimental features.
[gta:sa]I like the cut of your jib son. You be straight shootin with that gangsta shit. Representin' yo![/gta:sa]

The NDS defense is big in this thread. Can't you let the fans enjoy, your NDS had more than once nice moments in the last weeks? Handheld fanboys are getting worse than the console ones.

cybamerc said:
2. When GBA launched Nintendo stated that GBA wouldn't have a lifespan as long as the first Game Boy.
And that's because Nintendo already knew prior to the GBA's launch that Sony had solid plans on entering the portable market.

PSP development started shortly before the E3 announcement.
Sony's been working on their portable strategy since before the PS2 released. I'm sure there've been multiple prototypes that existed before and the PSP was just the final result with their decided technology choices. It's called Research & Development ;)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
mashoutposse said:

Seriously, folks.
Since when has Nintendo worked in the way you're suggesting? They do things on their own terms.

edit: oh yeah, and this should probably be stickied into a new "All PSP bullshit goes here" thread.

Rhindle

Chittagong said:
How's Sony stock doing?
The markets closed in Japan before the announcement. I suspect the stock will get hammered tomorrow. And I weep for Nintendo shareholders. Well, not really.

aaaaa0

I think Nintendo DS is doomed if this isn't just a paper launch.

The only two scenarios where I can see the DS surviving (assuming no catastrophic engineering flaws in the PSP):

1. The December PSP release is just a paper launch, and units won't be available in any real numbers until spring next year.

A paper launch might be what Sony is doing to take the wind out of the DS's sails with hype, and buy themselves time to lower the manufacturing costs.

or

2. Nintendo is willing to launch the DS at a much much lower price than the PSP. Like really low. Like $99 low.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Rhindle said:
The markets closed in Japan before the announcement. I suspect the stock will get hammered tomorrow. And I weep for Nintendo shareholders. Well, not really.
The stock market doesn't have knee jerk reactions as big as those who post on Internet gaming forums ;)
aaaaa0 said:
I think Nintendo DS is doomed if this isn't just a paper launch.

The only two scenarios where I can see the DS surviving (assuming no catastrophic engineering flaws in the PSP):

1. The December PSP release is just a paper launch, and units won't be available in any real numbers until spring next year.

or

2. Nintendo is willing to launch the DS at a much much lower price than the PSP. Like $99 low.
So you've come to this conclusion after years of experience in market research and study of the current market and its readiness for two handhelds which are matched to fairly different demographics? Or maybe people are just getting caught up in the excitement and not thinking straight...

aaaaa0 said:
Nintendo is willing to launch the DS at a much much lower price than the PSP. Like really low. Like $99 low.
This could be perceived as an act of desperation and Nintendo's not known to do such a thing. I think they'll wait and see how the market reacts before making any moves, if any.

explodet

Wow, you know what all this talk about the DS being doomed reminds me of?
All that talk about the PSP being doomed in that OTHER thread!

They'll both do fine. At least initially. :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
it'll be a massive f*cker if they turn round near launch and say "doh, delayed to summer"
or something gay like that.

I wants to play Lumines now!

kitchenmotors said:
Oh, shut up.

Geez, everytime there is some sort of announcement all the idiots from other boards come out and register to troll.

You do realize that Sony is the one who is going to have an uphill battle? Nintendo's dominance isn't a struggle hold on the market, they have dominance because they know the handheld market very well.

that is what people said before the 16 bit wars, and people thought Sony didn't have a chance in the 32 bit age. I say Nintnedo has BIG uphill battle. Sony is going for the throat.

aaaaa0

Scrow said:
So you've come to this conclusion after years of experience in market research and study of the current market and its readiness for two handhelds which are matched to fairly different demographics? Or maybe people are just getting caught up in the excitement and not thinking straight...

No, this is my stupid wild ass guess, and I freely admit that it is a stupid wild ass guess.

But I personally can't see DS working now, except for kids.

Parents aren't interested in sexy or hi-tech, they just want cheap, and if it shuts up little Jimmy for an 8 hour car trip, great.

IF PSP is launching for real in December,
AND if it's launching in real quantities,
AND if it is really priced so close to the DS,
AND there is nothing catastrophically bad about the unit's engineering,
I just can't see anyone rational going for a DS over a PSP.

Top Bottom