• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
aaaaa0 said:
IF PSP is launching for real in December,
AND if it's launching in large quantities,
AND if it is really priced so close to the DS,
AND there is nothing catastrophically bad about the unit's engineering,
AND the launch library is not a total disaster,
THEN the vast majority of consumers will probably pick the PSP over the DS,
DESPITE the DS having more original content and quite possibly a better launch library.
That's a big "if' you're painting there for the perfect scenario that Sony could possibly ask for. Anyone else could make some big "ifs" about the perfect scenario for Nintendo which would spell the doom of Sony. It's all rather pointless.

SantaC

ravingloon said:
Well this is what Nintendo gets for overpricing the DS to begin with. They got overly greedy and now they're gonna look stupid when they have to lower the price. I thought 129.99 should have been the MAX price all along.

Now if either company actually had a launch line-up that was worthwhile, I'd have some excitement.

so now ninterndo is suddenly overpricing? I remember the thread where everybody was happy when they said 150. Your statement is idiotic.

Midas

I've owned three different Sony MD players. The play time might not've been exactly the 25 hours they promised, but whe're not talking 15 hours here, maybe 20. I guess you've had other experiences?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GT4 in January! Thats before its out in PAL country on PS2.

Mmm. Import from Japan and risk region lock, or wait until US launch and if region lock just import all games from US cheaply anyway....

Region lock sounds definite though. If they can argue that UMD movies are locked, even though you only play them on a portable machine (and can therefore buy/view in another country while on holiday), then games are a logical extension of that business decision.

Midas

mrklaw said:
GT4 in January! Thats before its out in PAL country on PS2.

Mmm. Import from Japan and risk region lock, or wait until US launch and if region lock just import all games from US cheaply anyway....

I'm in the same "situation". Not really sure what to do. :)

aaaaa0

Yeah, one thing that can tip the balance is if they lie about the PSP's battery life.

I have a Sony laptop, and they claimed 4-6 hours of battery life on the spec sheet, but in the real world I could only get ever get about 2 from it doing useful work.

I could get 3 hours maybe if I dropped the screen brightness and the machine was idle 99% of the time.

If the real battery life is 2.5 hours (not 4-6 as claimed), PSP is sunk.

SantaC

Well it seems that there will be Sony and Microsoft left in this industri since they have all the money in the world to lose, and they still can afford it.

No more mario, no more metroid, no more zelda :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
aaaaa0 said:
Yeah, one thing that can tip the balance is if they lie about the PSP's battery life.

I have a Sony laptop, and they claimed 4-6 hours of battery life on the spec sheet, but in the real world I could only get ever get about 2 from it doing useful work.

I could get 3 hours maybe if I dropped the screen brightness and the machine was idle 99% of the time.

If the real battery life is 2.5 hours (not 4-6 as claimed), PSP is sunk.

With a 4800 Yen extra battery and the fact that the battery in the unit is not built-in, but designed to be replaceable... I am not too worried about battery life issues even though I want each battery to last as long as possible.

RMX

Banned
People will have two choices :

getting a PSP to play PS2-like games with a 4 hours battery-life, and 40 $ games
getting a DS to play new type of games and Nice remade N64 games with the stylus with a 6-10 hours battery life, and 30 $ games.

both are cheap...it's just a matter of taste.

SantaCruZer said:

Yeah, because all the talented Nintendo developers will make group suicide instead of building new development teams and we'll never see anything comparable :(. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to give up in the near future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SantaCruZer said:
Well it seems that there will be Sony and Microsoft left in this industri since they have all the money in the world to lose, and they still can afford it.

Nintendo has quite a bit of money left in the bank: it is up to them how they use it.

aaaaa0

Scrow said:
That's a big "if' you're painting there for the perfect scenario that Sony could possibly ask for. Anyone else could make some big "ifs" about the perfect scenario for Nintendo which would spell the doom of Sony. It's all rather pointless.

We just got confirmation about the price.

We just got confirmation about the launch timeframe.

I'm pretty sure that the unit will be free of major engineering defects, though you never know. re: PSX. ;-)

I'm pretty sure the launch lineup is not going to be a total disaster. A lot of the titles look at least decent. Though you never can tell without actually playing them.

The only really big question in my mind is if the launch is a real one or just on paper. Will there really be PSPs available in quantity, or are they just going to ship a few tens of thousands for show to try to slow the DS down.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SantaCruZer said:

Nintendo aint poor ;)

and isn't Sony losing money in their other home entertainment areas? maybe they're d00med? CONTROVERSIAL! O_O

Four SCE titles:

New Level 5 RPG (that makes use of PSP functionality - wireless?) - no date
+
041027c.jpg

041027al.jpg

+
67313.jpg

=
friggin hawt!!! :D :D :D

Can't wait for this, I would friggin import it if it wasn't reginally locked :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
RMX said:

getting a PSP to play PS2-like games with a 4 hours battery-life, and 40 $ games
getting a DS to play new type of games and Nice remade N64 games with the stylus with a 6-10 hours battery life, and 30 $ games.

So, PSP will be the one without original games ?!? Whoa, so unless your device has two screens and touch screen functionality the potential for innovation is zero, right ?

First, playing modern 3D/2D games on the go is one of the reason I want both PSP and DS (Super Mario 64 DS :)).

Second, for how many PSP games which will be ultra-rushed ports of PlayStation 2 games with no feature added there will be N64 ports with the second screen used as map or inventory (which really makes for a "new" kind of gameplay :rolleyes).

There is potential for great innovation on both PSP and DS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
need some people in the know, on the inside, to start getting clarity on the region lock thing ASAP.

Or we could all wait until the US launch in March, and just play Halo2, Half life 2 and GTA:SA for a few months.

Jonnyram

It's region-locked for games and movies. That's a no-brainer for Sony. The big question will be whether they bother for music...

Midas

Doom_Bringer said:
Four SCE titles:

New Level 5 RPG (that makes use of PSP functionality - wireless?) - no date
+
041027c.jpg

041027al.jpg

+
67313.jpg

=
friggin hawt!!! :D :D :D

Can't wait for this, I would friggin import it if it wasn't reginally locked :(

041027bl.jpg

This is better! :p

Or we could all wait until the US launch in March, and just play Halo2, Half life 2 and GTA:SA for a few months.

This is also an option.

SantaC

Scrow said:
Nintendo aint poor ;)

and isn't Sony losing money in their other home entertainment areas? maybe they're d00med? CONTROVERSIAL! O_O

Nintendo isn't poor, but they don't have other departments to back them up like Sony and Microsoft have. Sony is selling all kinds of electronics, and Microsoft is getting money from their software.

Nintendo only have their games and consoles, and when they start to lose money, they don't have other departments of their company that can pump money into them.

I just don't see Sony and MS losing to Nintendo. Money rules, and if Nintendo is going to be last place both in handhelds and consoles, they will inevitable end up like Sega.

Sad.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
RMX said:

Most of the games listed at ebgames.com are $39.99?

Tritroid

I admit, Sony did catch me offguard with this announcement.

But the Sonybots in this thread need to tone it down a notch, my god. It's like an orgy of fanboyism.

mr2mike

Banned
I made it to the page with lots of pics of the detachable battery and 4-5 hour references.

Now with a detachable battery, that leaves the door open for third parties to make batteries for how ever long you want to play.

4-5 hours, I'm not worried, headphones, sceen st it's darkest, no wifi is probably how I'll always pla, unless I decide to pla in a dark room and decide to entertain my roommate with the sound of my games.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
mr2mike said:
4-5 hours, I'm not worried, headphones, sceen st it's darkest, no wifi is probably how I'll always pla, unless I decide to pla in a dark room and decide to entertain my roommate with the sound of my games.

When you said this I immediately thought of this PA comic:

20010613l.gif

u_neek

FUCKING HELL!!! Now I end up buying both new handhelds at laucnh (I would have eventually anyway but now it's confirmed).

As I wasn't gonna spend enough money this Xmas!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jonnyram said:
It's region-locked for games and movies. That's a no-brainer for Sony. The big question will be whether they bother for music...

I remember a post in this thread stating that region-locking is not as obvious as you are presenting it to be: let's wait till official sources can clarify the issue, ok ?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
SantaCruZer said:
Nintendo isn't poor, but they don't have other departments to back them up like Sony and Microsoft have. Sony is selling all kinds of electronics, and Microsoft is getting money from their software.

Nintendo only have their games and consoles, and when they start to lose money, they don't have other departments of their company that can pump money into them.

I just don't see Sony and MS losing to Nintendo. Money rules, and if Nintendo is going to be last place both in handhelds and consoles, they will inevitable end up like Sega.

Sad.

They've had a monopoly on handhelds for over a decade and still make money off of that pokemon crap. I doubt their shareholders are crying themselves to sleep at the end of the day.

RMX said:

get both
get none

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I just don't see Sony and MS losing to Nintendo. Money rules"

... you know Nintendo made almost as much profit as the WHOLE of sony last year right?

Miburou

Tritroid said:
But the Sonybots in this thread need to tone it down a notch, my god. It's like an orgy of fanboyism.

They're more than balanced out by the Nintendrones desperately trying to do some damage control.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just converted 19.800 yen with XE.com. Holy fuck - 145 euros.
Today is Panajev ownage day. I'll bail out from my DS fanboyism.

SantaC

DCharlie said:
"I just don't see Sony and MS losing to Nintendo. Money rules"

... you know Nintendo made almost as much profit as the WHOLE of sony last year right?

So that's why everybody saying Nintendo is doomed huh?

u_neek

Chittagong said:
I just converted 19.800 yen with XE.com. Holy fuck - 145 euros.
Today is Panajev ownage day. I'll bail out from my DS fanboyism.

Yeah me too!!!!
It's a sad day - now I can only complain about the easily sratchable screen!! If they end up fixing that as well i'll go fuckin nuts!!

Jonnyram

Panajev2001a said:
I remember a post in this thread stating that region-locking is not as obvious as you are presenting it to be: let's wait till official sources can clarify the issue, ok ?
Sure... wait as long as you have to for the obvious to be officially announced :D

Tritroid

Miburou said:
They're more than balanced out by the Nintendrones desperately trying to do some damage control.
Well you're automatically going to get damage control when you scream OWNED over a hundred times in one announcement thread.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tritroid said:
Well you're automatically going to get damage control when you scream OWNED over a hundred time in one announcement thread.

It's not as if the DS announcement thread was any different. Seriously, that was like a PSP stake burning ceremony. :p

McFly

u_neek said:
Yeah me too!!!!
It's a sad day - now I can only complain about the easily sratchable screen!! If they end up fixing that as well i'll go fuckin nuts!!

The screen has a hard coating now, if it's anything like the hard coating of my Sony DSC-T1, then scratches are nearly impossible.

Fredi

Tritroid

The DS price announcement? How was that a PSP-owning fest? The price was expected to be around there (If not lower).

Insertia

Was I right or was I right?

Despite the 'estimated' price of $300(or even more, some said $350 or $400) I've been saying for the past two years that it would be priced at $200-$250. :D
Sony (or any company) just isn't stupid enough to price a portable at or over the price of $300 in hopes of competing with what's currently on the market

Sony has instantly taken ~16% of the handheld market. :)

SantaC

So Sony is taking a 30,000 yen loss of every PSP they sell? Jesus they really want to reign the handheld market too.

Top Bottom