• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

AniHawk

sonic4ever said:
that is what people said before the 16 bit wars, and people thought Sony didn't have a chance in the 32 bit age. I say Nintnedo has BIG uphill battle. Sony is going for the throat.

This is true. It's like how Sony is going to have to seriously start battling Microsoft next gen if they want to stay as king of the hill for years to come. I wonder if the US release of the PSP will be basically around Xenon launch to offset those sales.

Elios83

AniHawk said:
This is true. It's like how Sony is going to have to seriously start battling Microsoft next gen if they want to stay as king of the hill for years to come. I wonder if the US release of the PSP will be basically around Xenon launch to offset those sales.

March 2005 is the Usa date :)

AniHawk

Elios83 said:
March 2005 is the Usa date :)

Might work, since it's a handheld (GBA SP launched thereabouts, and so did the GBA Regular). I see them offsetting Xenon sales more to their advantage because the system would be cheaper to mass-produce by then, and there could be more time to get a very strong launch lineup (though not having one never stopped them before).

Shinobi

Sho Nuff said:
From the press conference

kutaowned.jpg

:lol

Floyd said:
Probably financial suicide but you wont hear me complaining. First Microsoft now Sony.

2 Corporate giants bending over backwards and taking it directly up the ass just to give me what i want. It just doesn't get any better.

bingo.gif

I'll never understand why people who don't own shares in a company give a shit about their profits. They're not gonna price themselves into bankruptcy, so let 'em do as they will. As long as I get mine, that's all I care about.

And all this talk about Sony "facing relentless challenges in this brand new market" is pretty funny. Number one, the portable market really isn't all that different to the console industry. The concepts are generally the same. Number two, people were saying the same thing about Sony's entry into console world in '94. And number three, you think Sony doesn't know anything about portable entertainment? Where do you think Gameboy got it's inspiration from, the kite? I think the company that's owned the gaming industry two generations straight and released an iconic product in the Walkman will be able to figure the portable gaming scene out. Considering most people were guaranteeing a $300+ price point for PSP, it's already evident that Sony knows more then most.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing. (SCEI actual measurement) (*2)"

quick spoiler thought : i thought this was gonna be game dependent... so which game did they use for the test ?

"I'll never understand why people who don't own shares in a company give a shit about their profits. They're not gonna price themselves into bankruptcy"

I'm pretty sure that most companies which end up bankrupt don't plan it.

"Number two, people were saying the same thing about Sony's entry into console world in '94."

oh, so people were wrong about Sony's entry into the console market, so that means they are automatically wrong on this? I agree that the neighsayers were talking ass the first time, but just because they were wrong that time doesn't instantly guarantee success for sony this time, surely?

"And number three, you think Sony doesn't know anything about portable entertainment? Where do you think Gameboy got it's inspiration from, the kite?"

The handheld games that Nintendo were making before the GB came out?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
aaaaa0 said:
I just can't see anyone rational going for a DS over a PSP.
You think it's irrational to base one's purchasing decision on the game selection? PSP offers mostly downgraded versions of PS2 games. NDS will have lots of original content. Personally I'm not the least bit interested in PSP.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
aaaaa0 said:
But I personally can't see DS working now, except for kids.
Though I think you're wrong about this in the first place, do you think Nintendo cares who buys their systems? As long as they're selling, Nintendo will be happy to have parents buying DSs for their kids. And that was sort of my point in the first place... Nintendo and Sony are targetting fairly different demographics, though there's always some cross over between them.

kitchenmotors said:
Sure, smile all you want. But Sony is entering the handheld market at the height of Nintendo's success. That's a far cry from when PS One entered the market, where Nintendo was already losing ground to Sega.

Your quote above has shown that Nintendo isn't Unbeatable. Sega did take away Nintendo's market when they had a strangle hold of the console Market. Sony can do the same with the Handheld, and they are ALOT more popular then Sega was at that time.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
quick spoiler thought : i thought this was gonna be game dependent... so which game did they use for the test ?
Uhmm, PuyoPuyo? :p
Ok ok seriously, it was the Doom3 port for PSP, they've been working on it in secret since March - that's the real reason XBox version is getting delayed!

Tim

aaaaa0 said:
No, this is my stupid wild ass guess, and I freely admit that it is a stupid wild ass guess.

But I personally can't see DS working now, except for kids.

Parents aren't interested in sexy or hi-tech, they just want cheap, and if it shuts up little Jimmy for an 8 hour car trip, great.

IF PSP is launching for real in December,
AND if it's launching in real quantities,
AND if it is really priced so close to the DS,
AND there is nothing catastrophically bad about the unit's engineering,
I just can't see anyone rational going for a DS over a PSP.

You forgot one thing man, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAMES
Seriously, I don't get why people are so blind as to look only at the points this fellow named.
Now the majority of the people may go for a psp, that's fine with me, but to say you can't see anyone rational going for a DS is just retarded. Especially when you won't even take games into account.

ourumov

Kinda curious what play-asia says:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-70-2r7.html
• Media: Universal Media Disc (UMD), 1.8GB, 60mm
• Display: 4.3" TFT LCD, 16:9 Widescreen with Backlit
• Video Codec: Ability to playback MPEG4 encoded video
• Resolution: 480 x 272 pixels with 16,770,000 colors
• Graphics: 3D polygons and NURBS (Non Uniform Rational B-Spline)
• Sound: PCM, built-in stereo speakers, stereo headphone jack
• Processor: 32-bit, architecture, 90nm technology
• Sound: 3D Digital ATRAC Audio
• Expansion: Can be connected with PS2 and other PSP using USB 2.0
• Memory Card: Memory Stick Duo
• Battery: Rechargeable
• Territory: No regional lockout, can run games from all regions

aaaaa0

Scrow said:
Though I think you're wrong about this in the first place, do you think Nintendo cares who buys their systems? As long as they're selling, Nintendo will be happy to have parents buying DSs for their kids. And that was sort of my point in the first place... Nintendo and Sony are targetting fairly different demographics, though there's always some cross over between them.

Parents have a low tolerance for expensive toys. They'll buy GBAs for their kids instead of DSes for $150, given the choice.

The only people that will pay a premium are the early adopters, and my gut says Sony's just taken them all away.

If the DS wants to survive, I think the best move is to either launch low, or immediately move to a lower price point after the PSP ships, if the PSP launch is real, and Sony can actually supply the units it's going to sell.

You think it's irrational to base one's purchasing decision on the game selection? PSP offers mostly downgraded versions of PS2 games. NDS will have lots of original content. Personally I'm not the least bit interested in PSP.

Unless the PSP launch library is a total disaster, I don't think that's going to hurt it much. I think a lot of people ARE looking for portable versions of familiar franchises. It's a variation on the old rule that (sadly) sequels tend to be more reliable earners in this business than new IP.

Disclaimer: YES I could just be caught up in the hype and freaking out.

ourumov

LOL...They edited the features XD.

• Color: Black
• Dimensions: Approx. 170 mm (L) x 74 mm (W) x 23 mm (D)
• Weight: Approx. 260 g (including battery)
• CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
• Main Memory: 32MB
• Embedded DRAM: 4MB
• Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors), Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
• Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers
• Main Input/Output: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi), USB 2.0 (Target), Memory Stick™ PRO Duo, IrDA, IR Remote (SIRCS)
• Disc Drive: UMD Drive (Playback only)
• Profile: PSP Game, UMD Audio, UMD Video
• Main Connectors: DC OUT 5V, Terminals for charging built-in battery, Headphone/Microphone/Control connector
• Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor
• Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control

xabre

Banned
Oh sure watch Sony sucker you all in with a low price, you see that's just to hide the extra money you'll be spending on electricity bills to recharge the motherfucker every five minutes
laugh.gif

cybamerc

aaaaa0:

> Unless the PSP launch library is a total disaster, I don't think that's going to hurt it much.

That's not the issue. Now that Sony has a portably system there are a lot of people who previously scoffed at portables and made jokes about a few SNES ports on the GBA that now can't wait to play downgraded PS2 ports on the go. What I take offense to is your implication that it is irrational to want something other than PSP.

aaaaa0

cybamerc said:
What I take offense to is your implication that it is irrational to want something other than PSP.

In that case, I apologize and withdraw the comment.

IN MY OPINION

IF PSP is launching for real in December,
AND if it's launching in large quantities,
AND if it is really priced so close to the DS,
AND there is nothing catastrophically bad about the unit's engineering,
AND the launch library is not a total disaster,
THEN the vast majority of consumers will probably pick the PSP over the DS,
DESPITE the DS having more original content and quite possibly a better launch library

UNLESS

The DS offers a significantly lower price point, or Nintendo somehow pulls off the must-have game of the century.

Tim

xabre said:
Oh sure watch Sony sucker you all in with a low price, you see that's just to hide the extra money you'll be spending on electricity bills to recharge the motherfucker every five minutes
laugh.gif
How would that help them? It wouldn't!
NEXT

Jonnyram

Four SCE titles:
Minna no Golf Portable - 12 Dec - 5040 yen
Dokodemo Issho - 16 Dec - 5040 yen
GT4 Mobile - Spring 2005
New Level 5 RPG (that makes use of PSP functionality - wireless?) - no date

Jonnyram said:
Four SCE titles:
Minna no Golf Portable - 12 Dec - 5040 yen
Dokodemo Issho - 16 Dec - 5040 yen
GT4 Mobile - Spring 2005

I wonder if the L5 game is the Sony MMORPG PSP. Wouldn't it be something if it was TFLO? :p

Mr_Furious said:
Not so fast. US and UK have yet to get price point announcements. Doubtful it'll be $300 but you never know :-\

It'd be a bigger surprise than this if it launched higher in the US than it does in Japan. The PS and PS2 launched at lower prices in the US than the Japanese versions.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mr_Furious said:
Stranger things have happened in this crazy industry

When was the last time a hardware product launched in the US higher than it did in Japan?

aaaaa0

Here's a general question, how much does everyone think it's costing Sony to make a PSP? Wild-ass guesses invited!

Panajev? cybermerc?

DarienA said:
When was the last time a hardware product launched in the US higher than it did in Japan?
3DO?

I doubt it'll be more expensive in the U.S. but UK's another story. The PSP could very well be higher but we won't know until official announcements from SCEA & SCEE.

MrSingh

Fafalada said:
Also Korean :p Actually I think the word originated from chinese but anyway...

yes. it's chinese. I know what those chinese were thinking.

when I see that character I always think of 10,000 hot men.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MrSingh said:
yes. it's chinese. I know what those chinese were thinking.

when I see that character I always think of 10,000 hot men.

Uh-oh... [*Panajev notes down that, if he and Singh happen to be in the same room when the lights go out, he should firmly place his butt-cheecks against the nearest wall ;).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, what an announcement! I was going to skip out on the PSP (after assuming it would be around $300)...but at that price, I can't resist!

cybamerc

aaaaa0 said:
Here's a general question, how much does everyone think it's costing Sony to make a PSP? Wild-ass guesses invited!

Panajev? cybermerc?
I have absolutely no idea. I think they're losing a significant amount of money on each unit but nowhere near the $200-300 some have said. Sony is not M$. They will need to make money on this thing at some point.

Jonnyram said:
Four SCE titles:

new.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
And I thought this nice style is supposed to be Dark Cloud 3 for PS2. So that's why we haven't heard of it for so long...

Well this is what Nintendo gets for overpricing the DS to begin with. They got overly greedy and now they're gonna look stupid when they have to lower the price. I thought 129.99 should have been the MAX price all along.

Now if either company actually had a launch line-up that was worthwhile, I'd have some excitement.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
one slightly assy thing :

041027i.jpg

when i commute to work, i'd like to be recharing my second battery.
but looking at this, it has to be attached to the PSP to recharge.

Not a show stopper by any means, but hey, if that 4-6 hour range covers every game then it won't be an issue.

Scoobert

An optional accessory will probably be a cradle, would make sense. I don't trust Sony with battery life. I'm looking at you MD players! I can wait for the PSP, no way in hell I trust their launch product.

Top Bottom