• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TEKKEN 6 "Who needs a FADC? We got RAGE!" Thread

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
dragonlife29 said:
I don't ever recall liking Tekken much (I was very young when I played my last one so I probably didn't understand its mechanics) but watching the GT review and some matches...ugh, it looks so goddamn fun :( I'm very conflicted about purchasing it because, one, it's $60; two, the online is apparently a mess (and an important part of fighting games for me).

So far, though, I'm inclined to buy it. If the game looks extremely fun, I'll buy it no matter what
I bought Castlevania: Judgment and loved it D:
. Hopefully I can get my brother to play it with me since he and I love to play SCIV to this day.

Dude, you have a Persona 4 avatar. That means you love awesome games. GET IT

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Haha, man...me and Prototype-3 just can't play this. GA to CA is a no-go in this game. Can't do shit for countering. :lol

*Pukes* This game makes me sick.

First of all, I spent 2+ years waiting for this shit to arrive after seeing the first real footage of the game and have followed it closely. I've been a huge tekken fan since T2 and before that, I wasn't nearly as interested in video games at the time.

Looking at this game after the 2 years it's been "out", it's looks and feels extremely outdated.

Negatives:

-Loading.... holy shit.

-Menus. Who's idea was it to put the character models and static backgrounds as the main background for the menu screen? I can understand if the camera moved and the characters performed some katas or something but FUCK...

-Graphics. 2 years ago, the arcade version was released and the original Uncharted came out and looked better than this. 2 years later, U2 is out and my eyes are bleeding going from that to T6.

Also, I'm not a competitive player so my fandom always came from the tekken mythos and the enjoyment of playing against friends and family and unlocking characters and seeing their endings. I alway looked forward to the new looks and moves of characters with each installment so it's no surprise that I'm a bit disappointed seeing characters looking EXACTLY like their T5 counterparts.

What happened to picking a character and just playing? I hate this ghosts data BS. I don't want to see icons, ranks, w/l records and my online screen name when playing certain modes. Just show me the character name please. Leave those screen filling eyesores for "ranked" VS only matches.

So today I'm in Toys 'R Us with a $20 gift card from Arkham Asylum to spend, and I'm looking at what's available... anyway, after walking around and coming back a couple of times I figured, "what the hell?" and ended up walking out with a copy of Tekken 6.

Long story short: Azazel -- what the hell? o_O

Before anyone says anything, YES I am aware of Tekken's ongoing tradition of oversized, overpowered bosses with cheap attacks. That doesn't mean it's a tradition worth keeping.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MoonsaultSlayer said:

First of all, I spent 2+ years waiting for this shit to arrive after seeing the first real footage of the game and have followed it closely. I've been a huge tekken fan since T2 and before that, I wasn't nearly as interested in video games at the time.

Looking at this game after the 2 years it's been "out", it's looks and feels extremely outdated.

Negatives:

-Loading.... holy shit.

-Menus. Who's idea was it to put the character models and static backgrounds as the main background for the menu screen? I can understand if the camera moved and the characters performed some katas or something but FUCK...

-Graphics. 2 years ago, the arcade version was released and the original Uncharted came out and looked better than this. 2 years later, U2 is out and my eyes are bleeding going from that to T6.

Also, I'm not a competitive player so my fandom always came from the tekken mythos and the enjoyment of playing against friends and family and unlocking characters and seeing their endings. I alway looked forward to the new looks and moves of characters with each installment so it's no surprise that I'm a bit disappointed seeing characters looking EXACTLY like their T5 counterparts.

What happened to picking a character and just playing? I hate this ghosts data BS. I don't want to see icons, ranks, w/l records and my online screen name when playing certain modes. Just show me the character name please. Leave those screen filling eyesores for "ranked" VS only matches.

^ That sucks. :(

Unlocking characters and stuff like that is something that a lot of people will miss (that play it purely for the single player enjoyment).

I know that back then when you would not only UNLOCK a new character, but also see their ending for the first time... That was such a rewarding morale boost. I gotta admit, I do miss it.

---

Azazel is easy everyone. Just gotta learn how to deal with it!

KAL2006

Banned
OK after looking around online, I have heard the online for this game is BAD, maybe even worse than Sould Calibur IV. To me online is very important in a fighting game. And with games like SFIV, BlazBlue, MvC2 and SSF2THDR having great online, this game has no excuse. I will definatly not make a mistake purchasing this game, the same problem happened with SCIV, KOFXII, Garou and KOF98UM, where I hardly touched the games due to terrible online. Yet I still continue to play SFIV, MvC2, and SSF2HDR because of the great online.

Has Namco given a statement for the poor online, will they bother improving the online at all. Its a shame as this looks to be the best Tekken so far.

Despite all the boss whining, I'm sure you can beat Tekken 6's boss by spamming one move over and over again. Just like Dead or Alive 4's boss. Just like Street Fighter IV's boss.

MarkMan said:
Look, I'm not in it to become online champion or anything; I just wanna set the game to Easy, pull off some cool sh*t, and watch the wacky endings. I most definitely DO NOT want to sit here and get my ass pummeled into the ground repeatedly by some Devil May Cry reject because Namco can't tell the difference between "challenging" and "cheap" and can't come up with an idea for bosses other than "this time let's make it even BIGGER!"

Honestly, I'm tempted to turn the game off and I've only been playing for half an hour.

Takuan

Space A Cobra said:
You can only have 5 stats at a time and they can't be the same. So you can't get 250 health from a 100+ item and a 150+ item. You'd just have to settle for the 150. Same with the other attributes.

Edit: Also don't forget to make sure they're activated. You can see which items are activated in the right screen bracket area of the customization screen.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for that! As much as I've panned the game, I'm actually kinda having fun going through scenario mode and equipping characters with zany goods. The game's worst offense is the load times, which is apparently only a problem on the PS3 version; Tekken 6 was never a beautiful game to begin with.

For what it's worth, I had a much easier time against Azazel than I did with Jinpachi.

TheCardPlayer

MicVlaD said:
Despite all the boss whining, I'm sure you can beat Tekken 6's boss by spamming one move over and over again. Just like Dead or Alive 4's boss. Just like Street Fighter IV's boss.

No. He's way worse than Seth or Alpha-152. Or Jinpachi. Or any SNK boss. He's fucking impossible.

I've been ignoring threads and media on Tekken 6 because I was trying to avoid buying another game until I made some headway on my backlog. But it's Tekken, so I cave and now I'm reading all of these negative sentiments. :lol Damn it. Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy the core game. Hopefully Namco patches the online tho.

MarkMan said:

Unlocking characters and stuff like that is something that a lot of people will miss (that play it purely for the single player enjoyment).

I know that back then when you would not only UNLOCK a new character, but also see their ending for the first time... That was such a rewarding morale boost. I gotta admit, I do miss it.

---

Back in the day, it was TZ and TTT that turned me on to competitive play... though i wasn't the one playing, i enjoyed reading the threads and learning the tekken talk. So now, it's like I have the knowledge without the skill after all this time lol. T5DR on PS3 proved that to me.

I was still looking forward to this though. Hell, my name since 2001 on many message boards has been MoonsaultSlayer which is a Tekken reference. Since I was mainly attracted to the single player aspect, I guess I grew out of it, the story has run it's course and they botched it big time with this iteration.

Hopefully we get an overhaul for the next installment. Reduce the character roster for one. Update their looks and one thing I've wanted forever.... Match-up specific animations. Meaning every charcacter match-up is animated seperately which I know would take a fuck load of time but the results would be groundbreaking. Blocking Paul's kicks would be different than blocking Ling's based on height and such. And no more going through Kuma's body like in the PS1 days (and it still happens lol)

Xevren

MicVlaD said:
People always say x boss is worse than a previous boss in a different fighting game in these type of threads.

Basically. Even on the hardest level Seth was a pushover for me. Only the SNK bosses pissed me off, and with certain characters the DOA boss too.

TheCardPlayer

MicVlaD said:
People always say x boss is worse than a previous boss in a different fighting game in these type of threads.

Trust me, he's worse. He's got an automatic block on mid attacks, he's got screen filling unblockables, and he has incredible reach and priority on all of his attacks.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
MoonsaultSlayer said:

Negatives:

-Loading.... holy shit.

just asking or you playing it on the ps3 or 360?

Kasumi1970 said:
just asking or you playing it on the ps3 or 360?

PS3. I have no comment on lag since I haven't touched online. Hell, I haven't even fucking played the game proper yet because of the shit campaign mode trying to earn money to make Yoshi look less grotesque. To think an artist actually came up with that and a room full of people approved the design...

EDIT: That's probably why I'm being so harsh. I haven't even sat down and actually played the proper modes that much. I still wish all that info under the health bars was optional.

LowParry

Ugh, I hate being sick. Ling's ending posing "Bye bye!" -slap slap- Best ever. :lol

Edit: Yeah. This thread has gone...I dunno where.

SoulFist

Hm I think Jin has always had the coolest designs. How bad ass was it fighting with his hood up on T4. Way cooool. Also this thread needs more chicken.

That's it, I give up on beating Azazel. Seven wins, twenty-three losses, and a good eighteen or so were to him. I don't know what I'm gonna do now, turn it off I guess and finish watching my Shark Week DVD. Maybe I'll sleep on it?

Are there any possible scenarios by which I might exchange this at TRU?

Dai Kaiju

To anyone who hasn't picked it up yet because they're worried about online play, things are MUCH better today. The majority of my matches have been fine.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Spike Spiegel said:
That's it, I give up on beating Azazel. Seven wins, twenty-three losses, and a good eighteen or so were to him. I don't know what I'm gonna do now, turn it off I guess and finish watching my Shark Week DVD. Maybe I'll sleep on it?

You're gonna exchange it because of the END BOSS? Seriously?

Kusagari

I don't know if it's because I've been playing ranked or what but I've had to yet to have one laggy match or have a disconnect on PS3 and I've played 10+.

LowParry

Kusagari said:
I don't know if it's because I've been playing ranked or what but I've had to yet to have one laggy match or have a disconnect on PS3 and I've played 10+.

Yeah. Reading around that PSN has been working better today. Strange.

Lyte Edge said:
Why not? I bought the game on a whim, and at a point in my gaming life where I have a very low frustration threshold. Plenty of other new games I passed over for this heap of aggravation, too.

kiryogi

Banned
As someone said earlier. Tk6 and br has been dominating arcadia rankings for this generation of fighters. Then followed by bb and sf4. Reasoning for this? I think reno said it was that tk6 was the most accessible. The rrankings in tk6 always changed around with fresh faces. Meanwhile sf4 or vf5 would always be the same top players

Spike Spiegel said:

Sounds like you're playing arcade mode. Forget it. It's pointless for SP. If you want to fight the ai, do ghost battle. If you want to see the story and character endings, play SC and do the Arena(Where Azazel is a pushover. Just spam 1,2 attacks. You'll win 70% of the time). Arcade mode is just regular arcade mode. Beat the boss and get end credits. =/

Edit:

Revolutionary said:
In order to do what most people normally do when they get a Tekken game (play through Arcade to unlock endings), they have to play through the horrible Scenario Campaign. Then, when that's done, you have to play through the Arena and fight and beat Azazel 41 times.

You actually just randomly start unlocking the endings if you play VS or other modes a lot. Still your right, Azazel sucks and it was a really bad decision to force SC upon everyone.

Lyte Edge said:
I don't blame him.

In order to do what most people normally do when they get a Tekken game (play through Arcade to unlock endings), they have to play through the horrible Scenario Campaign. Then, when that's done, you have to play through the Arena and fight and beat Azazel 41 times.

I accomplished that but it sure as hell wasn't fun.
Then, there's the awful online mode...

Dabookerman said:
Also, character models are the same as Tekken 5, and even the quotes are the same (lili :( ). Other than that, Lili certainly shaves in her nether regions thanks to her third costume.

Don't tempt me, I decided not to buy this :(

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
To the people who are crying about the graphics: boo fucking hoo. This game could be in 2d with sega genesis resolution and I still would get the same gameplay enjoyment out of it. It's fucking tekken. Who buys tekken for graphics?

That being said, I agree with other peoples issues like not being able to unlock characters and laggy online. Those are real problems.

Sectus

MarkMan said:
If there is some kind of trick to beat him, please let me know. I can beat him with little trouble with the few characters I've learned. But beating him with every character just to see the endings is really frustrating, I don't know a single move for the other chars. And the boss is just all around frustrating to fight.

I really really liked how Tekken 4 simply had Heihachi as final boss. I wish the other games in the series would do the same thing. A *normal* fight as the last fight feels so much more rewarding.

Nemesis_

TONX said:
To the people who are crying about the graphics: boo fucking hoo. This game could be in 2d with sega genesis resolution and I still would get the same gameplay enjoyment out of it. It's fucking tekken. Who buys tekken for graphics?

That being said, I agree with other peoples issues like not being able to unlock characters and laggy online. Those are real problems.

I don't buy any games for graphics, but sometimes it's nice to see some progression from the previously released game. But yeah, I don't think it's an invalid complaint at all.

karasu

Spike Spiegel said:

Just go to youtube next time.

evolution

Just came in to say this game awesome. Haven't went online yet, but just spent the last 3 hours beating my friends over and over again. My Feng was unstoppable, so many tears shed tonight.

SarBear

The fucking netcode on this is absolute horseshit. GARBAGE. I mean, what the fuck Namco. I haven't played a lot of online fighters, but this is really unplayable. This shit will suffice for new players, but seriously, for a Baek user as myself I can't even begin to make an offense.

Local tournaments it is then. Ugh. Sucks.

allreal

MarkMan said:

---

This. but fuck azazel fucking bullshit ass boss. worst fuking boss in fuking game history he has no fuking point. omg. and for what? (complaints and venting begins here)
so i can see fuking LEO LOOK AT A FUCKING CARD WITH HER NAME?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?! SO I CAN SEE MIGUEL RUNNING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? FUCK YOU NAMCO. FUCK YOU. WORST FUCKING TEKKEN EVER.

YOU FUCKED UP ONLINE...but i don't care....GRAPHICS don't look that great....but its okay...LOADING is long...but i can wait........BUT YOU MAKE ME FUCKING GO THROUGH SOME STUPID ASS FUCKING TEKKEN FORCE BULLSHIT WHEN YOU HAVE A FUCKING FUCK AWESOME FIGHTING GAME. STUPIDEST FUCKING SHIT. FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN. FUCK THE DRESS UP DOLL SHIT. FUCK AZAZEL. FUCK YOU SCAMCO. GO FUCK YOURSELVES.
im sad and dissapointed beyond words. still love tekken, but yah, dissapointed.

jaydogg691

I've been playing this game for a while and man, I'm not as good as I use to be. I'm playing online and getting my ass beat left and right. I'm play the PS3 version and the online connection so far has been like DR, you get some good and bad matches. Also, does the game freeze for a moment when you finish a match?

As for the graphics, I think it's one the best looks fighters of this generation. Only complaint would be it being outputted at a low resolution. It's not like fighting games are about the graphics anyways.

The game is fun, so I need to start practicing.

Top Bottom