• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

Hobbun

jvalioli said:
The game is too much of a rehash and has too many technical problems to be considered great. I love the original Okami so its such a shame.

I don't mind the rehash so much, but what kind of technical issues?

kiryogi

Banned
Been playing this with 1x1 res on my 3ds, since the upscaling makes it a bit ugly IMO. Game handles a lot better with the nub vs the dpad as well.

Overall, the game captures most of the spirit of the original, even if a Great Divine Intervention isn't as powerful as it was in Okami. It still gives me the chills when you finally manage to pull one off.

Giolon

Father_Brain said:
I also think that the game looks and plays great on 3DS, but the bolded has to be your imagination. That's just not how BC works.

It's not imagination. I ran through the same area in Sei'an on my DS Lite and 3DS multiple times to check, and the slowdown was significantly worse on the old system. As for "how BC works" - it's fully possible depending on the implementation.

Giolon

What's up with Capcom needlessly changing the name of your partners? Shortening Kuninushi to Kuni I guess is acceptable (even though they already called him Nushi in the original...), but
Kagura to Kagu
. Really? I'd understand if it were a length thing if someone named Tsuruya weren't around along side them...

And
Kurou
to
Kurow
? Capcom, I am disappoint.

On the other hand, the further I get into this game, the more I enjoy it. There's too much handholding early on, and some of the limitations compared to the original still annoy me (what do you mean I can't use Sunrise any time I want?), but the stories and characters really entertain me. Though I want
Kagu(ra)
to be my partner forever.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Giolon said:
The analog pad works with all DS games I've tried, though generally exactly the same as the D-Pad. The only exception I've found is Super Mario 64 where you get almost analog level precision in turning (but not movement speed).

I found that SM64DS managed a very cool approximation to analog by "rolling" your finger around the dpad such that you connect the 4 main directions very cleanly with the diagonals. The problem is that way too many DS systems shipped with relatively borked dpads with tough to hit diagonals, and missing one would kill the "roll" resulting in a VERY sub-par control scheme.

I lucked out with my third DS model and got one with a perfect dpad, and was finally able to finish the game with all 150 stars. That was impossible with my original launch DS, and caused me no end of frustration every time I tried to return to the game.

Very under-appreciated feature that more platformers on the system should have attempted. I can only imagine that this mechanic would translate to the circle pad WAY better than more standard dpad implementations.

btkadams

you guys i need help.. i'm near the beginning.

i just got that horizontal slash technique that can cut rocks in half and hurt enemies. i want to leave the town but susano is blocking the exit with that big boulder. i thought maybe i got the slash technique so i could cut the big boulder in half but it wont let me view it properly. where do i go? i've been talking to everyone and going everywhere but i just don't get it.

thanks for any help!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
btkadams said:
you guys i need help.. i'm near the beginning.

i just got that horizontal slash technique that can cut rocks in half and hurt enemies. i want to leave the town but susano is blocking the exit with that big boulder. i thought maybe i got the slash technique so i could cut the big boulder in half but it wont let me view it properly. where do i go? i've been talking to everyone and going everywhere but i just don't get it.

thanks for any help!

Kuni has to help you cut the boulder. Don't worry about viewing it properly. I think you have to talk to Susano to initiate the cutscene so he can help you cut it. Make sure you talk to the little girl about getting her mirror back. If the cutscene isn't triggering, than there's some other condition that I'm forgetting.

btkadams

ZealousD said:
Kuni has to help you cut the boulder. Don't worry about viewing it properly. I think you have to talk to Susano to initiate the cutscene so he can help you cut it. Make sure you talk to the little girl about getting her mirror back. If the cutscene isn't triggering, than there's some other condition that I'm forgetting.
yeah ive talked to susano and he just does a speech (non-cutscene) about how its too dangerous out there. hmmmmm... this is bugging me.

EDIT: nvm i just found a guide online so ill consult it. i may have missed something small.

warpaint

not got round to grabing this yet, after reading some view's are the internet it is making feel like it may just be a re hash but with a new skin on it is that right to come to that view

I am gonna be ordering this baby soon. Hopefully it has better pacing than Okami, though I highly doubt that...but I still loved Okami.
Futureman said:
How long is Okami about? Just started playing it on PS2...
Took me about 35 hours first time.

Mudo

I am about 2 hours in and while the game parallels the first in many ways, I am having an absolute blast with it. Music is wonderful, graphics are reminiscent of the original (taking into account this is on the DS), and the dialogue is downright charming. Recommended!

Giolon said:
It's not imagination. I ran through the same area in Sei'an on my DS Lite and 3DS multiple times to check, and the slowdown was significantly worse on the old system. As for "how BC works" - it's fully possible depending on the implementation.
Hmm, I was under the impression that this implementation of BC didn't allow for any enhancements other than upscaling and non-analog Circle Pad support. I should try my DS Phat again for comparison.

I started playing this last night and I'm about 4 hours in. I really like. It brings back a lot of memories. It has some issues, but it's fun. I'm playing it on my 3DS and it feels pretty good with the circle pad.

Not that they're bad games, but I'd rather be playing this than SSF4 and RR. :)

Red

Futureman said:
How long is Okami about? Just started playing it on PS2...
I spent about 65 hours to get 100% and unlock all the after-game stuff.

Loved every second! Some of that time is probably just from running around fields and forests, listening to music.

Man, I love Okami. There were some great games on the PS2, but none of them resonate with me nearly as much.

kiryogi

Banned
Fucking missables... Legend of the Crane Wife D:

Also redoing 5 story pagoda for lucky coin

But aside from all that really, I'm absolutely in love with Okamiden :eek:

Giolon

kiryogi said:

Fortunately, you don't need all of the
Lucky Coins. Only 5 of 8 are needed for weapon upgrades

kiryogi

Banned
Gotta comment too that this has been delivering the DS Zeldalike experience that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks couldn't. While playing Okamiden, I was actually thinking back to ST and got really irritated. What helps so much is the lack of the gimmick control scheme (IE Stylus only for movement)

Amalthea

Banned
kiryogi said:

What's Legend of the Crane Wife?

kiryogi

Banned
Tyrant_Onion said:
What's Legend of the Crane Wife?

Spoiler warning.

There's an event in the game that's basically a nod to the story/legend of the the Crane Wife.

Essentially, you rescue an injured Crane and later there's this lady in Yakushi village that wants to thank you, but she tells to NOT go upstairs until she's ready. If you decide to do so, you'll see a Crane up there... Choosing to do this will make you miss out on an item.

And here's a link to the original story it was based off of: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/folk/tsuru/tsuru01.html

Amalthea

Banned
kiryogi said:
Spoiler warning.

There's an event in the game that's basically a nod to the story/legend of the the Crane Wife.

Essentially, you rescue an injured Crane and later there's this lady in Yakushi village that wants to thank you, but she tells to NOT go upstairs until she's ready. If you decide to do so, you'll see a Crane up there... Choosing to do this will make you miss out on an item.

And here's a link to the original story it was based off of: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/folk/tsuru/tsuru01.html

Ah, yes that one. Had to reset and loose progress because of this.

Clipper

Bizzyb said:
Wait, there are side missions that you can miss and NEVER re-do??

So lame if true
You only miss out on a Lucky Coin, for which there are at least 8 in the game and you only need 5 or something.

Plus, it's your own fault if you are impatient and head up there. She is very clear that you should come back later.

But yeah, there's quite a bit of other stuff you can miss. I missed out on only one of Issun's Masterpiece scrolls right near the end of the game, but I'll just pick that up to complete my collection when I get round to playing the New Game+.

Just beat the first boss and I'm liking it so far despite the ease in difficulty. Does it get any harder (puzzle-wise and action-wise) later in the game?

Chibi is so cute. :lol

Giolon

Little Green Yoda said:
Just beat the first boss and I'm liking it so far despite the ease in difficulty. Does it get any harder (puzzle-wise and action-wise) later in the game?

Chibi is so cute. :lol

It does, but not by a huge amount. Be prepared to use an Ink and possibly Health potion or two on some bosses - but with an ample supply of (and 99 inventory cap on each variant...), nothing in this game is truly difficult. Puzzles do finally stop holding your hand quite so much eventually.

Lime

Wichu said:
I've never played the original Okami; is it worth me getting this (limited budget here)?

Yes, it is a great game with a lot of heart and soul. If you like Zelda-type games, you wouldn't find a better game (actually it's more like 3 games in 1).

It should even be very cheap about now.

Lime said:
Yes, it is a great game with a lot of heart and soul. If you like Zelda-type games, you wouldn't find a better game (actually it's more like 3 games in 1).

It should even be very cheap about now.

I kind of bought a Wii for it. The art and music are just so amazing.

BTW, love your avatar. Too many good memories of customizing mechs in MW2.

Futureman

Hey ya'll.

Currently playing through Okami on the PS2 (I know, 5 years late!), but I absolutely love it. I kind of gave up on videogames back in like 2004, so I'm going back over stuff I missed.

I was hugely disappointed to see that Clover Studios made Okami and their output after Okami was limited to God Hand (looks interesting).

So Clover closed down, and much of the talent went to Platinum Games?? It looks like their publishing deal w/ Sega may have influenced their output, as all the games look like action/shooter games that don't really interest me.

Did some of the key members from the Okami team go to other studios instead of Platinum? Any original Okami members work on Okamiden?

Is this one of the reasons so many on here express dislike for that one Capcom dude? Was he responsible for shutting down Clover? How do you shut down a studio that produced a game like Okami?!

Giolon said:
It does, but not by a huge amount. Be prepared to use an Ink and possibly Health potion or two on some bosses - but with an ample supply of (and 99 inventory cap on each variant...), nothing in this game is truly difficult. Puzzles do finally stop holding your hand quite so much eventually.
I'm about 10 hours in and I'm finding the puzzles easier than some of the combat actually. In particular, newer enemies tend to beat up on me until I figure out their weakness. Bosses haven't been too bad but playing on Oldhand forces me to use ink pot items often
perhaps I'm spamming the Celestrial Brush too much?

The puzzles have been no brainers so far - however, the magnetism puzzles seem to be a step up in complexity from the earlier puzzles so hopefully that trend continues.

Still liking the game a lot though not having played the original probably helps in that regard. The expressions by the characters in this game are quite entertaining (dare I say Wind Wakeresque). Biggest complaint from me so far is the wonky camera. The touchscreen arrows are inconvenient since I have my right hand on the face buttons instead of the stylus and the auto-camera can make me a bit motion-sick when I'm running from place to place.

hey everyone quick question:

Anyone experience their hours played getting messed up on the 3ds if they've been playing it on DS?

I've been playing this on DS, and just got my 3ds today, and I want play it using that. Saw on the gamefaqs forum about their game time getting messed up when they did the same thing.

Has anyone experienced this problem, too?

Anyone who doesn't mind risking their game time getting messed up willing to try?
I'm really keen on tracking my game hours, so I don't want to lose it if there's a risk.

depward

I have had zero problems with gametime being properly counted from playing the first ~12 hours with my DSLite and the last 9 hours on the 3ds.

depward

Beat this in a little over 24 hours on the timer. What a fantastic gem of a game - VERY impressed. This is coming from someone who played like 25 minutes of Okami Wii and stopped due to just not wanting to play it on the Wii. SO, I'm pretty much an Okami virgin.

I just loved the game though. Everything was really well done. It was also surprisingly nice-looking on the DS, though it definitely did have some moments of graphical wonkiness and some framerate drops. But all in all, it ran fairly smooth.

The music was bananas-good - just wonderful stuff.

One small niggle (ending spoiler):

I didn't like the recycling of the boss battles. I'm just not a fan of it in games. My brother also asked me, as he is an Okami fan, if it felt like the game should have ended a couple of times before it actually did... and I said that I definitely thought this.

All in all, one of the best DS games I've played. Def recommend playing through it!

vall03

just finished the game and it took me around 26 hours. My only gripe so far in the game is that its too short! I want more! Theres some minor annoyances with slowdowns in some areas but its not that bad and its understandable.

Dark Chibiterasu looks so fucking badass! I wish we can do something like this in Zelda! Also, the bonus weapon at the end is fucking broken

now time for to play TitS!

Is it me or did the writers/localization team throw some RE4 references in the game? At first I though I was just making faulty connections when various forms of "[you're] that dog" but then one of your partners referred to the Witch Queen as the "big cheese" followed by a minecart-like section.

a ways in at this point, & very happy i finally got this. pretty, & funny, little game, tho in no way a substitute for the awesomeness that is the original (especially when you purify an area - they tried, but the tiny screen just can't do it justice). strongly recommend it to anyone who loved the original, & strongly recommend the original over this to anyone who hasn't played either one...

kiryogi said:
Gotta comment too that this has been delivering the DS Zeldalike experience that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks couldn't. While playing Okamiden, I was actually thinking back to ST and got really irritated. What helps so much is the lack of the gimmick control scheme (IE Stylus only for movement)

agreed. game's much bigger than i expected, & loaded with collectables. as occasionally wonky as the camera can be, it's just beautifully produced, & easily as good or better than ph & st...

but, just like radiant historia, it also appears to be another gaf sleeper :) ...

kiryogi

Banned
It's a Capcom game

Boss gauntlet was totally expected, especially since the first Okami had it

Finished it a few days ago at around 27 hours. Absolutely loved it, only thing I'm disappointed about was how they handled the epilogue. But that's about it.

They should had a consistent fitting melancholic or soothing end like song during the full partner epilogues, instead of switching to their themes per. It sorta killed mood and flow as it kept ebbing out, not to mention some of the songs weren't very fitting for this kind of montage

mantidor

So I finally started playing this game and it's amazing, it has made want to replay the original too. Such awesome games, it sucks so much the don't get the sales they deserve.

semiconscious said:
agreed. game's much bigger than i expected, & loaded with collectables. as occasionally wonky as the camera can be, it's just beautifully produced, & easily as good or better than ph & st...

but, just like radiant historia, it also appears to be another gaf sleeper :) ...
I ordered my copy a while back, STILL hasn't shipped. It really sucks this was online only in the UK :/

Murrah

Banned
Can anyone who has already beat the game give me an idea of how much left I have left?
I just got through the ice cave stuff and watched Shiranui die 100 years ago.
I'm enjoying the game a lot, way more than I thought I would, but I promised a friend I would let them borrow it when I was done; reminds me (in a good way) of playing through Okami and thinking I was almost done when I had another 10-15 hours left.

Murrah said:
Can anyone who has already beat the game give me an idea of how much left I have left?
I just got through the ice cave stuff and watched Shiranui die 100 years ago.

you've got maybe 2+ hrs to go...

just finished, myself...

the good news: the first 80-85% of the game was mind-bogglingly good! much more awesome game than i would've considered possible. re-exploring the areas never got old, the dungeons were clever, & the story, & companion & assorted npc dialog, was outstanding & often very funny...

the bad news: that last 15%:
while i admit that the final section of okami felt tacked-on, & kinda out of sync with the rest of the game, it didn't really bother me. well, not only does okami den do the same thing, it takes it further, to the point where it came close to souring me on the whole game. the fifth character, & his story, were lame & completely disconnected from everything else. the decision to have not one but 2 of your very cool companions possessed by evil felt cheap & very mean-spirited, in a cheesy 'dark for the sake of dark' way. &, while the gauntlet of previous bosses was expected, did there really have to be a mini-gauntlet of enemies between each one? boring & bogus...

overall, this is an incredibly good, extremely well-made game. & while i wasn't particularly crazy about where the journey eventually led to, getting there was a helluva lot of fun :) ...

SmithnCo

Can't wait to play this, but I'm waiting for my 3DS to arrive first. It took the Capcom store a month to ship it because I didn't want an extra package just for a keychain. Luckily the keychain is actually pretty cool.

One preview said there was a Resident Evil cameo in this, has anyone found it?

Top Bottom