• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jvalioli said:
How bad are the performance problems? Similar to Okami on PS2, which had framerate drops with Amy running in large areas?
The dungeon I just finished ran consistently at sub20 FPS.

Yuterald

I picked this up and played for about 3 hours. Did the first "dungeon" which was an area from the original Okami and fought the first boss. I am enjoying it, but I am not blown away or anything. It is a pretty competent "zelda game" and it's a 'cute' version of the original Okami. The music is surprisingly really good and the game is packed with collectibles and sidequests.

One thing I noticed immediately is how your little mutt controls. It's not nearly as tight as the original and I miss the build up in the speed as you dash across an area. Everything works well for the DS and the brush techniques feel great with the stylus, but the game so far is pretty underwhelming. I just don't think Okami needed a sequel.

I gotta say so far that DS has been pretty banging this year. I started off with Ghost Trick and LOVED it. I just played through and smashed 65 hours into Radiant Historia and it became one of my favorite DS RPGs. And while I wasn't expecting Okamiden to be the best thing ever, it still seems like an extremely enjoyable zelda-like experience.

Chesskid1

Banned
whenever i play handheld versions of a console game, it just makes me want a console sequel so bad.

god, i want okami 2 ps3 SO MUCH~!!, though i think the chances are very low (but i dont know shit).

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Yuterald said:
One thing I noticed immediately is how your little mutt controls. It's not nearly as tight as the original and I miss the build up in the speed as you dash across an area. Everything works well for the DS and the brush techniques feel great with the stylus, but the game so far is pretty underwhelming. I just don't think Okami needed a sequel.

I think it needed the sequel that the ending of Ōkami hinted at and without the technical limitations of the DS. That would probably have made for a better game, though that's just guesswork as we will (probably) never see a proper continuation of the original.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's kinda like Okami 1.5, but Okami was already 3 games.

The dungeon I'm in now is pretty good.

The only bad thing so far are the controls. Otherwise, I'm having a blast. Okami is one of my favorite games ever, so I'm glad we got a sequel.

Spike

Tried the demo and liked it, but the controls felt a little off. I believe this will play amazingly better on the 3DS with the analog nub.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ConradCervantes said:
Gun to ALL your heads: Okami Wii or Okami PS2? I haven't played the original yet. Which one will give me the richer experience?
I'm on board with the PS2 version.... and I have considered this for awhile. I like the right analog stick to control the camera, the paper effect looks a little better in the original PS2 version, and a song during the credits was cut from the Wii version (though restored to the Wii Japan release).

Wii has the advantage of 16:9.... but it wasn't designed for that so I don't care so much. I will say that Okami PS2 looks waaaay bettter than I'd expect on my BC PS3 in HD. The abstract style of the game is still very impressive.. less dated than I would guess.

Wii version is not bad at all, though.

Chesskid1 said:
whenever i play handheld versions of a console game, it just makes me want a console sequel so bad.

god, i want okami 2 ps3 SO MUCH~!!, though i think the chances are very low (but i dont know shit).

I couldn't agree with this more. Every time I turn on Okamiden I just wish I were playing a true sequel with PS3 graphics in HD and using the Move instead of a stylus. (But of course you could use a DS3 as well)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ConradCervantes said:
Gun to ALL your heads: Okami Wii or Okami PS2? I haven't played the original yet. Which one will give me the richer experience?

Oh Jesus not this shit again. We already had that discussion shit up this thread once before.

You'll find that most people will say whichever version they played first. Or played at all.

BocoDragon

ZealousD said:
Oh Jesus not this shit again. We already had that discussion shit up this thread once before.

You'll find that most people will say whichever version they played first. Or played at all.
I didn't know it was a tired old topic but looking through the thread... yeah... been there done that. :p

Still I think it's something people should discuss somewhere... A lot of people don't like delving into a sequel without playing the original, and the issue of the best version will certainly come out of that......

Though on that discussion... I think many people are genuinely interested in the best version... not "their first version" cheerleading...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
BocoDragon said:
Though on that discussion... I think many people are genuinely interested in the best version... not "their first version" cheerleading...

And you'll find there are enough differences in the PS2->Wii transition, good and bad, that the verdict is split. It's completely subjective. And you'll find that most people will gravitate towards whichever version they played first.

You'll find that it's a tired old topic not just because it was already discussion in this thread, but that it's been discussed in pretty much every Okami thread since the Wii version was released.

You'll have to make your own determination based on the facts. The PS2 version has more muted colors, a heavier paper filter, more accurate brush controls, and has the credits. The Wii version has brighter colors, a more subdued paper filter, visual inconsistency between real-time graphics and the occasional FMVs, faster yet less accurate brush controls, a learning curve in regards to combat (due to the need to time "waggles"), lacks the credits, and supports progressive scan and 16:9.

BocoDragon

ZealousD said:
And you'll find there are enough differences in the PS2->Wii transition, good and bad, that the verdict is split. It's completely subjective. And you'll find that most people will gravitate towards whichever version they played first.

Seems like a justification for the existence of a discussion where people argue for which version they prefer, as opposed to an obvious "this version is objectively better" situation....

...Though not necessarily in this Okamiden thread.

I will say that as someone who was in the market for Okami after the Wii version came out, having played neither, the PS2 version sounded obviously better. I didn't play either first...

ZealousD said:

You'll find that it's a tired old topic not just because it was already discussion in this thread, but that it's been discussed in pretty much every Okami thread since the Wii version was released.

You'll have to make your own determination based on the facts. The PS2 version has more muted colors, a heavier paper filter, more accurate brush controls, and has the credits. The Wii version has brighter colors, a more subdued paper filter, visual inconsistency between real-time graphics and the occasional FMVs, faster yet less accurate brush controls, a learning curve in regards to combat (due to the need to time "waggles"), lacks the credits, and supports progressive scan and 16:9.

Fair enough, I supposed I skimmed too quickly over the arguments earlier in the thread. I'll buy the Wii version, it seems to be more available than the PS2 version, and I don't want to have to dig out my PS2 from the basement for one game.

BocoDragon

ConradCervantes said:
Fair enough, I supposed I skimmed too quickly over the arguments earlier in the thread. I'll buy the Wii version, it seems to be more available than the PS2 version, and I don't want to have to dig out my PS2 from the basement for one game.
Yeah even though I rooted for the PS2 version... they are both decent enough that if one platform is more accessible to you, get that one. You'll even get some advantages.

Turrican3

Y2Kev said:
The dungeon I just finished ran consistently at sub20 FPS.
Ouch. :-|

Just out of curiosity, are you playing it on a DSi? I'm wondering whether its slightly (?) more powerful system specs would allow for a smoother game experience or not.

Chesskid1

Banned
meh, i don't think the framerate is that bad, a few dips once in a while, although i've never been that good at noticing/doesn't bother me that much when framerate drops a bit.

i'm about 3 hours in, if you didn't like the chat sequences or the hand-holding, well they return, but the game is charming enough that it overcomes it for me.

more games should have shivering characters. so subtle but adds alot to the atomsphere.

this is probably the prettiest game on the DS. beautiful art style and the characters look great, especially close up, has more details then alot of other games. the overworld seems pretty big and it's fun to explore as well. the characters that actually have character return and you will really enjoy them just like the original okami.

hopefully they added more places to the map, because every place i've been has been an exact replica of that place in okami.

i paid $32.00 bucks for this game and i hope tons of others do as well.

daffy

Banned
Not many in-depth impressions going on here :( I love Pokemon, but I still plan on playing this with the 3DS.

I don't think they could've picked a more worse time to release this game, how can you screw it up twice?

Oh well, the IGN video review was nice, thanks for that.

TripOpt55

Really loving this game so far. I just got done the second (?) dungeon. Though it was the third boss I think. Just really fun and the bosses have been really good and use the partner mechanics well.

I'll pick this up if it isn't as ridiculously long as the first game. The original had SO many great places to end, but it kept on going and going, recyling shit over and over, to the point where I was utterly bored and I don't even know what happened with the story at the end or why I was fighting a big ball. Really depressing.

I don't want to experience that again, but I do want to experience more Okami.

Just ordered this along with the Okami artbook. Though I probably won't get around to playing the game for a little bit since I haven't beaten Okami yet (I just started a playthrough of Okami last night).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ConradCervantes said:

Doesn't ultimately matter, but after personally playing the Wii version, I sold off my PS2 copy and never looked back.

Again though, both versions are equally competent. Some people just prefer the analog drawing to the pointer drawing. The widescreen support on the Wii was enough to get me to deal with the occasional misread pointer scrawls. Once you condition yourself to the Wii pointer controls(which admittedly has a bumpy learning curve) it became my preferred version.

Didn't even think about Okamiden with the 3DS analog nub. Probably would help greatly.

Got my copy from Amazon today, and it seems really good so far. Even though it's lacking in a few areas like camera control because of the DS's limitations, it still manages to capture the look and feel of the original perfectly. Can't wait to put more time into it!

Brandon F said:
Didn't even think about Okamiden with the 3DS analog nub. Probably would help greatly.
I'll never understand why people complain about this, the dpad works perfectly for these types of games. Very few games require you to move with a level of precision that can't be easily achieved on the dpad by alternating between moving in straight lines and 45° angles.

Anyone know what the purifying stroke is for a green imp? Is there one? I need demon bones and I don't want to leave Shinshu Field... but green imps are like all you encounter here! :(

kiryogi said:
Still order in process @ capcom store. . .
I ordered the game on Amazon this morning and it has already shipped. I'll never understand how the Capcom store is so terrible with shipping things, especially after seeing how late a lot people received their copies of MvC3 from them. You'd think Capcom would be able to ship their own products in a timely manner.

kiryogi

Banned
BentMyWookiee said:
I ordered the game on Amazon this morning and it has already shipped. I'll never understand how the Capcom store is so terrible with shipping things, especially after seeing how late a lot people received their copies of MvC3 from them. You'd think Capcom would be able to ship their own products in a timely manner.

I think it might be delayed due to lack of chibiterasu keychain.

depward

StunandStab said:
Anyone know what the purifying stroke is for a green imp? Is there one? I need demon bones and I don't want to leave Shinshu Field... but green imps are like all you encounter here! :(

I'm having a hard time with getting any kind of demon bones. Even with red imps and how the power slash should produce some; can't get any to drop and not even sure if I'm doing it right.

sammy

I hope I can find a copy later today, I've been hyped for this game and haven't spoiled anything. It looks like one of the DS's most ambitious titles and a worthy sequel to a very satisfying game.

depward said:
I'm having a hard time with getting any kind of demon bones. Even with red imps and how the power slash should produce some; can't get any to drop and not even sure if I'm doing it right.

You're supposed to do it while they are dying, after you've depleted their life bar but before their body disappears of course. Hope that helps.

Glix

Picked this up during my lunch hour. Game seems pretty cool. Graphics are VERY nice. I don't know how much more I'm going to play before my 3DS arrives, as my L and R buttons on my DSI fucking suck.

Is there any way to make the giant red arrow go away?

EDIT - I also think this game will be better with the slide pad.

Glix said:
Picked this up during my lunch hour. Game seems pretty cool. Graphics are VERY nice. I don't know how much more I'm going to play before my 3DS arrives, as my L and R buttons on my DSI fucking suck.

Is there any way to make the giant red arrow go away?

EDIT - I also think this game will be better with the slide pad.

I've racked up 15 hours in this game and I've found that the red arrow is only there when your objective is clear and you know exactly where you are supposed to go, which is rare. The red arrow should be gone most of the time

If you want to play Okami correctly on the Wii you have to buy the Japanese release. I heard they fixed the controls compared to what we got in the west.

I'm looking forward to playing this if I ever take a break from the 3DS.

Grisby

Yeah, I picked it up but it might be a bit before I get to it. Wow, at the supposed 20 hour something quest.

Lotta bang for your buck. Just like the original Okami.

sarcoa

Argggh. 17 hours in, trying to join
Orochi's Elite Guard.
. Apparently I need a
permission slip before I am allowed to fight in this tournament,
but Ive been all over the dungeon multiple times and I can't figure out where it is. It's probably completely obvious but clearly I can't find it. Help, anyone?

edit: n/m!

Top Bottom