• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

Giolon

Ok this is may be a spoiler question regarding this game's relation to the first:

Do they ever explain
how Susano and Kushi's son Kuni appears to be like 6+ years old yet only 9 mo have passed since the first game
?

Giolon said:
Ok this is may be a spoiler question regarding this game's relation to the first:

Do they ever explain
how Susano and Kushi's son Kuni appears to be like 6+ years old yet only 9 mo have passed since the first game
?

Yes they do. The explanation comes pretty early in the game, too.

Dartastic

Y2Kev said:
Issun isn't a flea!
Ugh, I hate reading reviews. My favorite quote: "While all of these concepts are borrowed from Zelda, it is done in a respectful and downright expert way. Nothing feels carried over thoughtlessly. There are pots around to smash because you're in a village, where it makes sense for there to be pots. You're a hero on an epic quest because this world needs saving, and it's your destiny to save it." Aka, DERP DEEE DERP DE DERP.

Wizpig

I can't put down Pokémon, i didn't even buy it :(

But...

7c373b7693131db6a8abb08fe686c580.jpg

Just beat the game. The final boss is SO HARD... well, I died once.
Typically when I play any game I will stockpile items and never use them just in case something like this ever happens; usually I end up with tons of items that never get used, but in this game it actually helped a lot as I drank lots of sake, ate lots of bones, and used a few inkfinity stones, too. I still got 3 cherry blossom trees for the fight, though, surprisingly...

I really think Capcom did a great job with this game, but I also think it could have been SO much better. So many times throughout the game I found myself thinking "this part would have been better if it wasn't on the DS" or "it's too bad they had to make this part like this because of the DS". Also, the framerate is terrible.

I think Capcom would do a great job on a sequel (or sequels?) made for more powerful hardware... and the ending even leaves the possibilty for sequels wide open, and kinda hints at them I'd say... so I really hope Capcom does it, because Okamiden shows great potential for future Okami games.

Of course, Okami is a much better game than Okamiden, but I think most of Okamiden's faults are due to the limitations of the DS, and not the developers behind the game.

I hope none of what I said was too spoilery for anyone, I apologize in advance if that is the case...

EDIT: For those wondering if the game really does last 25 hours... I clocked in at about 23.5 hours. I also passed the point of no return without realizing it and missed a lot of side stuff I had planned to do...

Wizpig

Fantastical said:
Wait...

you stole it?
Right!

No :(
I don't know if i should wait for a 3DS "grey" version - and yeah i know there's the possibility that it won't come out - or just buy it now.

But first, i will play Okamiden <3

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Get!

The full color manual is a step up from Okamis black & white one and a case that isn't cut full of holes is a step up from nintendos recent cases! Plus the plush Chibiterasu keychain plushie is ultra cute ^_^!

So like before I finish the game or rather before I even start it, are the post-game goodies to unlock like Okami had? Soundtrack, concept art, etc? If I must be disappointed I'd rather it be now then later! Oh and Oldhand or Greenhorn mode - whichever shall I choose?!

TripOpt55

Lindsay said:
Get!

The full color manual is a step up from Okamis black & white one and a case that isn't cut full of holes is a step up from nintendos recent cases! Plus the plush Chibiterasu keychain plushie is ultra cute ^_^!

So like before I finish the game or rather before I even start it, are the post-game goodies to unlock like Okami had? Soundtrack, concept art, etc? If I must be disappointed I'd rather it be now then later! Oh and Oldhand or Greenhorn mode - whichever shall I choose?!
I am only about 10 hours in, but I find that Oldhand is pretty easy still. I don't think you should have an issue there. I don't have any answers on the unlockables front yet though.

OMG Aero

I got this game today and it seems okay so far, but I really don't understand why they took out the recharging ink pots. I haven't played far enough to see how this effects battle, but it makes traversing the overworld annoying at times, especially if you are trying to bloom all the trees to get praise then you run out of ink and have to find some pots to smash.

OMG Aero said:
I got this game today and it seems okay so far, but I really don't understand why they took out the recharging ink pots. I haven't played far enough to see how this effects battle, but it makes traversing the overworld annoying at times, especially if you are trying to bloom all the trees to get praise then you run out of ink and have to find some pots to smash.

Ink pots do regenerate on Greenhorn mode. I wish I had played in Greenhorn.

I know what you mean about traversing the world, I actually got stuck once. I was in one of those caves where you blow the entrance open with a cherry bomb, and I used the vine thing to get to the center island, and then I had run out of ink... I hadn't been paying attention I guess, but anyway since I had no ink I had no way out, I was stuck on that little island. I did have an ink regen item, but what if I didn't? I guess that's what the "redo" thing is for. I never used redo in the game but really you shouldn't ever have to and I think the lack of regenerating ink is kind of stupid. You're a GOD, it doesn't really make sense for Chibi to pretty much become a helpless little puppy permanently if he uses his powers too much

GeekyDad

Lindsay said:

Yeah, there's quite a bit of stuff to unearth (no pun intended). Collecting all of various masterpieces and/or completing the game comes with its perks, some of which enhance gameplay. If you want the full spoilers on all that, check out this thread: http://okamiworld.com/index.php?topic=2513.0

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
TripOpt55 said:
I am only about 10 hours in, but I find that Oldhand is pretty easy still. I don't think you should have an issue there. I don't have any answers on the unlockables front yet though.

k! I started on Oldhand as suggested and after 50 minutes (which only equated to 2 battles lol) I'm doing alright!

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, there's quite a bit of stuff to unearth (no pun intended). Collecting all of various masterpieces and/or completing the game comes with its perks, some of which enhance gameplay. If you want the full spoilers on all that, check out this thread: http://okamiworld.com/index.php?topic=2513.0

Coolness! I don't wanna get spoiled but collect away I shall!

Wizpig

Lindsay said:
Get!

The full color manual is a step up from Okamis black & white one
The Capcom EUR one is b/w.

Damn it.

By the way this Okami sequel non-sequel really takes the word "more of the same" literally o_O
Same world, same characters, same powers, same sfxs

Luckily there is some new gameplay stuff, but that same new gameplay stuff reminds me a lot of Zelda Spirit Tracks which, for now, definitely has a better pacing.

GeekyDad

Finished it yesterday, and I must say, I'm disappointed there's no option to free-roam around Nippon afterward. I was hoping to noodle around like I did in DQIX, searching for whatever I missed. I wasn't ready for the journey to end, and I surely don't want to start the game over again from scratch. From what I can tell in my NG+, very little carries over -- no masterpieces, scrolls, none of the collectibles basically.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Awww I died on the second boss because Chibi got knocked to the edge of the arena and no matter what I pressed he wouldn't move but he could take hits! Dying from glitches sucks now I gotta do those 5 battles leading up to it again ~_~

Whats the point of continuing instead of going to the title screen anyway? You'll just end up from where ya last saved either way. And why can there only be 1 save file? That's gonna annoy me like it does with DQIX cause I hate deleting saves!

Got the UK version last Friday and have been plugging away over the past few days. Really enjoying it so far! Am at the
Theatre boss
at the minute -
when Kagu gets captured and the glowing dots appear and then disappear, is there anything I can do other than s-l-o-w-l-y whittling the bosses energy down? :/

Mekere

Bought it yesterday, the squeeness of Chibiteratsu made me reconsidered my vows of not buying games any more, at least not as long as my backlog has shrink a little.

3 hours in so far, Chibiteratsu is the cutest furball and Kuni is not as a pain in the neck as his father, for now I have not seen any new characters/maps hopefully there will be new places to visit? No bug or complains so far either.

Too bad it won't sell well, Pokemon +3DS + no localisation + no stock in shop (mine received 3 of them and no refill was intended)

Glix

Okay.

a. using the O with the line over it in the thread title makes it not come up in the search. This should be rectified.

b. This game is fuck all AWESOME. This is much closer to a console Zelda then any of the Zelda DS games. I'm 9ish hours in, hanging out with the
actress
partner.

This game is the perfect game to be playing along with Pokemon. When the grind overwhelms me, I pop this in and get some action/adventure. This is surely one of my favorite DS non-RPG's

Ahh dying to play this and Ghost Trick which are right now sitting on my shelf, begging me to touch them. Come on 3DS!
I'm especially excited as I never got to play Okami, just got to admire the art from afar :(

Glix said:
Okay.

a. using the O with the line over it in the thread title makes it not come up in the search. This should be rectified.
b. This game is fuck all AWESOME. This is much closer to a console Zelda then any of the Zelda DS games. I'm 9ish hours in, hanging out with the
actress
partner.

This game is the perfect game to be playing along with Pokemon. When the grind overwhelms me, I pop this in and get some action/adventure. This is surely one of my favorite DS non-RPG's
I second this. When I tried searching for this thread, I couldn't find it because of that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Glix said:
Okay.

Sorry. Hadn't thought of that when I posted the thread. A mod will have to change it.

Wizpig

Glix said:
actress
partner.
Not really, Spirit Tracks' dungeons so far are much Zelda-ish than Okamiden's, which are pretty simple.
You can see the Phantom Hourglass influence in the dungeons because of the camera, etc, but they are still much like the original Okami dungeons.

The overworld... well, yes, it's Okami.
So it's like Ocarina of Time.
So it's Zelda, more than PH and ST if you want to go there, but keep in mind that PH and ST were not supposed to be "home console" Zeldas in the first place.

Anyways, buy this game, everyone, it's incredible how much Capcom pushed the DS graphichs-wise and in other things.

I tried it on the XL and the slowdowns are still there, by the way, so it's not DSi enhanced.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Just got partner #
. How many more of these cute lil assistants can their be!? Gotta catch 'em all! Maybe someday Chibi will find a partner that gives him a nickname he'll actually like lol.

I really wish dodge was B and jump was A? With the moves set to the opposite buttons I find myself hardly using 'em. And why is there no quick save? Getting knee deep into a dungeon far from the starting and ending save mirrors and the battery light turning red is terrifying!

Wizpig said:
The Capcom EUR one is b/w.

Damn it.

For reals? That's awfully cheap of them >_<

By the way this Okami sequel non-sequel really takes the word "more of the same" literally o_O
Same world, same characters, same powers, same sfxs

Luckily there is some new gameplay stuff, but that same new gameplay stuff reminds me a lot of Zelda Spirit Tracks which, for now, definitely has a better pacing.

Capcoms the master of rehashing! I love the world and characters and the game is fun but it really is a rehash.

Amalthea

Banned
Finished it today, such a great last game for the good old DS!

The ending made me cry.

Until now Terranigma was the only game that gave me tears at the end.

Red

Three hours in and man, I'm pretty sure this is a leading contender for my favorite DS game ever. How is it not getting more love? Come on GAF, the first game was the best Zelda in ten years, and the second is just as good. Where is the excitement?

It looks and sounds so great. Handheld bliss.

My biggest problem is the lack of an analog stick. Super annoying getting precise movements using a D-pad. Ends up causing Chibi to walk around like a robot, always at weird angles. Second biggest issue is no run button. Sorely missing that after the swiftness of Okami. Then there are the touchy drawing mechanics, but those aren't any worse than they were in the first game, and are a minor frustration at worst.

Besides that, I have no complaints. It is fantastic to play. Such exhilarating fun.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Crunched said:
Three hours in and man, I'm pretty sure this is a leading contender for my favorite DS game ever. How is it not getting more love? Come on GAF, the first game was the best Zelda in ten years, and the second is just as good. Where is the excitement?

It looks and sounds so great. Handheld bliss.

My biggest problem is the lack of an analog stick. Super annoying getting precise movements using a D-pad. Ends up causing Chibi to walk around like a robot, always at weird angles. Second biggest issue is no run button. Sorely missing that after the swiftness of Okami. Then there are the touchy drawing mechanics, but those aren't any worse than they were in the first game, and are a minor frustration at worst.

Besides that, I have no complaints. It is fantastic to play. Such exhilarating fun.

Played the demo, the dpad issue was the one that jumped out at me. Going to be good playing it with the 3DS.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My DS's light turned red right after getting to what I can only assume is a
boss refight
room. Thats a sign isn't it?

Since I'm essentially at the end of the game I feel pretty safe in rating it 5 outta 10. Averageness! Apparently using the full scale makes me a troll but w/e. Its been a fun yet almost equally flawed ride. I still like it though and will surely replay it in the future!

jvalioli

The game is too much of a rehash and has too many technical problems to be considered great. I love the original Okami so its such a shame.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Lindsay said:
My DS's light turned red right after getting to what I can only assume is a
boss refight
room. Thats a sign isn't it?

Since I'm essentially at the end of the game I feel pretty safe in rating it 5 outta 10. Averageness! Apparently using the full scale makes me a troll but w/e. Its been a fun yet almost equally flawed ride. I still like it though and will surely replay it in the future!

Yeah, you are way to harsh. I would personally give it a 6/10.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
jvalioli said:
The game is too much of a rehash and has too many technical problems to be considered great. I love the original Okami so its such a shame.

Ya I let the re-used areas/characters slide cause the story really couldn't be what it is without 'em an I think its a good story. Re-used music/effects aren't much of a bother either. What is the big problem is that they didn't try to advance the gameplay. Guiding/protecting your partner wore out its welcome fast and became filler imo.

I frowned my biggest frown of the game late in the game at one of these segments when after getting my partner and I across a gap we have to turn around and go right back and... the little enemy thingy had respawned making the return trek that much more annoying. The gap was super short so why'd it respawn its not like I went offscreen or anything -_-;

Primate Ryan said:
Yeah, you are way to harsh. I would personally give it a 6/10.

Wayyyy harsh? I'm not trying ta be harsh but I'm not trying ta go easy on it either. I really did like the game but theres lots wrong with it to. 6 is alright to but when I see 7's & 8's I'm like whaaat? Ya people really think this is close ta being in Okami's league? No ways!

Gravijah said:
This game is filled with missables, right?

Ya theres a bunch of 'em early and late in the game. Basically if your in a dungeon find everything ya can before leaving it!

matmanx1

Started this tonight with my 3DS now in hand and I love it already! The game just looks so fantastic and colorful and of course the music and game play is classic Okami, just pared down to fit on the DS.

Chibi is freakin cute as are the little mini spirits he meets as he progresses. I'm only about 2 hours in but I'm already super impressed at how well this game has been realized on the DS and can't wait to play more.

jgkspsx

I'm really liking this so far, but I'm really hoping they remake it for 3DS. It deserves to look and sound better than this.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Done!

Deaths: 3
Enemies Defeated: 451
Money: 338920 Yen
Praise Orbs: 1317
Do-overs: 0
Time: 20:10:24
Results: Full blossom! ^_^

Phew. I'm feeling all kinds of ;_; from the story while my fingers are feeling all kinds of x_x from what was essentially 7 boss battles in a row with a bunch of forced normal baddie fights along the way. Although I was kinda down on the game here and there I still say its fun and worth owning and playing! Its not as good or fresh as Okami but its got a nice tale to tell an the gameplay is good outside of certain segments. I just hope we won't need a divine intervention to get a sequel!

I really have to get back into this. Played it solidly all last week up until Friday and since then it's been all 3DS for me. I probably have 3-5 hours left to go so hopefully will have it wrapped up this week.

Kurtofan

Do I need to finish Okami first before playing it?
Also why does the French package has the butt ugly huge ass German parental control sticker on it?

Red

Kurtofan said:
Do I need to finish Okami first before playing it?
Also why does the French package has the butt ugly huge ass German parental control sticker on it?
It refers to Okami's ending, so unless you don't mind knowing what happens you may want to finish the first game.

Seven hours now, loving it. Definitely the most fun I've had with my DS. The music, my god, it's incredible.

Just finished a 3 hour session and finished the game. Overall I really enjoyed it. Didn't quite reach the high standards set by Okami, but then again I wasn't really expecting it to. The last
couple of hours with recycled boss fights and then more boss fights was tough going, but I'm glad I stuck with it. The ending was pretty sad, but it was nice to get a little catch up with everyone too. The credits were also great!

It's definitely one of my favourite DS games and I've played a hell of a lot of them. May even make my GOTY list.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So has anybody played this on their 3DS yet? Does it work with the analog pad?

Red

ZealousD said:
It should. I haven't tried it, but a friend reports 3DS as the preferred platform for that very reason.

Giolon

ZealousD said:

The analog pad works with all DS games I've tried, though generally exactly the same as the D-Pad. The only exception I've found is Super Mario 64 where you get almost analog level precision in turning (but not movement speed).

The game looks pretty gorgeous on the glossy 3DS screen, but you do get a slightly softer look due to running at non-native res and duller colors on the top screen (particularly if Power-Save Mode is on, the top screen is poor at doing true white).

TripOpt55

This game kind of got away from me. I played about 14-15 hours, but haven't had the chance to put anymore time in. I was really liking it too. I need to make some time for it.

Giolon

I've played a bit more of this on the 3DS now to compare to my old DS Lite, and I have actually come to like playing on the 3DS a little bit more.

The analog pad is much easier on the thumb than the D-pads are. Also, even though the graphics are a bit fuzzier, it also gives the game a fairly nice anti-aliasing effect, and the pixels are so small on the 3DS screen, it's almost like looking at an iPhone 4 screen.

Most importantly, the 3DS seems almost immune to the slowdown that occurs in areas like the Sei'an City Commoner's Quarter. It's still there occasionally, but to a far lesser degree.

Giolon said:
I've played a bit more of this on the 3DS now to compare to my old DS Lite, and I have actually come to like playing on the 3DS a little bit more.

The analog pad is much easier on the thumb than the D-pads are. Also, even though the graphics are a bit fuzzier, it also gives the game a fairly nice anti-aliasing effect, and the pixels are so small on the 3DS screen, it's almost like looking at an iPhone 4 screen.

Most importantly, the 3DS seems almost immune to the slowdown that occurs in areas like the Sei'an City Commoner's Quarter. It's still there occasionally, but to a far lesser degree.

I also think that the game looks and plays great on 3DS, but the bolded has to be your imagination. That's just not how BC works.

Top Bottom