• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old clip of Western Devs telling Japanese Devs their games sucked and laughing in their faces

tenor.gif

They were right tho? Their main argument was that japanese games had too much handholding (I think they were focusing on Zelda in particular). And guess what, some of the most successful japanese games like BotW and Elden Ring basically gave you total freedom.

Now, they could have presented their argument in a nicer way, sure.

There was a blip during the PS360 generation where western devs were thriving and Japanese ones were struggling.

Franchises like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Tekken all struggled in this era while Microsoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda and Ubisoft all brought out some top games.

Wow have the tables turned, Japan is pumping out great critically acclaimed games while western AAA is in the toilet.

Now Nintendo, Sony, Capcom, Square, FromSoftware, BandaiNamco and a few indies are carrying the industry.

Can’t remember last time I bought anything by Microsoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda and Ubisoft, they largely produce shit now. Apart from Sony’s first party stuff all my PS5 and Switch games are Japanese.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I remember that attitude towards Japanese games back in the PS3 Era. Yes there were issues where Japanese Developers were having issues with HD Development but by the time PS4 came out they came back with a Vengeance.

Western Developers attitude towards Japanese games is one of the main reasons why I didn't like the PS3 Era. I found the games in that Era to be good but it was nothing like the PS1/PS2 Era where everyone was doing great and I felt there was more variety from both Japanese and Western Developers

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The fun starts at 45 seconds

Some highlights: "Your games sucked," "You need to get with the times," Make better interfaces and update your technology," "We're totally kicking your ass, back then you were the kings of the world, but your time has pass."

My oh my how things have changed.

Phil fish isn't western devs.

The threads a bit silly don't you think.

Provocative clip. Kinda baffling Japanese developers allowed themselves to buy into this idiotic perception in hindsight. If anything, Japan had it "together" until the west started pushing this view.

Last edited:

Peroroncino

didn't that guy get butthurt and quit gamedev altogether?

0 class answer though, could've approached a question from a clearly passionate fan in a much more tactful way

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I think I've already posted this in a similar thread since this topic keeps being brought up every so often, but I recommend checking this Archipel doc on the renaissance of Japanese games:

Starting end 2016, we saw the release of a succession of Japanese games that were critically acclaimed both in Japan and overseas.

We met with some of their directors to discuss their views on this period and on the state of the Japanese game industry.

Features: Katsura Hashino (Persona 5, Atlus), Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Rez: Infinite, Enhance), Toshihiro Nagoshi (Yakuza 6, SEGA), Koshi Nakanishi (Resident Evil 7, Capcom), Yuya Tokuda (Monster Hunter: World, Capcom), Keiichiro Toyama (Gravity Rush 2, Sony Interactive Entertainment), Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh, Koei Tecmo), Yoko Taro (NieR: Automata, Square Enix) & John Ricciardi (8-4)

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yep, that's exactly when the Western market went brown for real and started using the JRPG term as a kind of synonymous for "turn-based, old school" game.

Despite me not liking the PS3 Era, I did love some games that came out of it like Mass Effect Trilogy, Fable 2 and 3, etc. It's just compared to what we were getting in the PS1/PS2 Era, there were noticeable less games I wanted to play right away. Back than is when the DS and PSP were getting all the Japanese Support.

I wasn't a fan of portables back than because the screens were low resolution and I would always hurt my eyes playing them for extended periods of time. Also the control schemes would always hurt my hands. I'm happy for my Switch and Steamdeck especially since they both advanced portables when it comes to screen tech and control schemes.

Fbh

Didn't that dude leave the gaming industry in tears because, amongst other things, people were mean to him on Twitter?.

You'd think he would be less of a dick to people asking him an honest question

solecon64

I played through Cave Story (and +) this year and the game made me cry. Not even for any particular scene, just simply playing it - it's such a wonderfully pure representation of what the developer wanted to show and say through his art. Absolutely beautiful - a perfect example of what "indie games" could and should be.

So it boggles my mind how the fucking western media chose these two absolutely garbage pieces of filth to be the representatives for the indie boom into mainstream that generation. Team Meat was alright, but these two (noticeably off) losers were an embarrassment.

Phil Fish is a piece of shit that thinks he is special and has something unique to offer the world. He doesn't and when people on Twitter let him know he was a cunt, he left the industry in tears.

It makes my blood boil that he was as rude as that to someone with a genuine question. Wanker.

Drell

These 2 guys made like one good game, that's all and they dare mock an industry that probably provided them some games they have fond childhood memories of them, memories that also probably influenced them to be the indies they are.... For fuck sake I hope they apologized by this time.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Japanese devs at the time where dropping the ball big time, they where going through a rough time. Phil was kind of mean and out of line but Jonathon Blow at least gave some constructive criticism.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looking at advancing the media in story telling.
The last of is 2 is generations ahead of jpn sheit.

Then botw comes along in gamplay and shows the west how to do gameplay

Sure, just Phil being a moron. However, this is a really old clip and back then Japanese mainstream games felt stagnant, whereas with the success of Fez, Super Meat Boy and Braid, these Western indie devs were riding high. They have crashed and burned since then, of course. The demise of XBox Live Arcade was the first stab, the end of Kickstarter mania the next, bad revenue shares the next, and bad discoverebility on store fronts kills everybody.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yep, that's exactly when the Western market went brown for real and started using the JRPG term as a kind of synonymous for "turn-based, old school" game.

Unfortunately some of these Japanese developers have taken on some of these Western Developers traits when it comes to making videogames. Reason why South Korea and China have been eating their lunch in the videogame market recently. Hope they course correct sooner rather than later

Hunter 99

Very rude response like they are something special.the fact the whole table was pretty much laughing at the guy shows how much everyone sat there is a pretentious cunt.
glad the japanese and Asia as a whole are showing western devs how its done once again.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not only FF13 got a trilogy, also Asian games are the most popular these days, they are the ones that have been setting trend all industry wide... Does anybody but GAF know what a Fez is? Lmao

Top Bottom