• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old clip of Western Devs telling Japanese Devs their games sucked and laughing in their faces

Fable?

laughing-hysterically-cant-stop-laughing.gif
Yeah you know... The only Action RPG to actually do world building and narrative well without shitting the bed in other aspects.
Mean Girls Halloween GIF

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree - Rise of Ronin being incredible, for instance. But tech wise and UI design? They seem to be generations behind. Just compare Final Fantasy 7R, or 16, to something like Forbidden West, and how the former struggles on the hardware despite visually being supbar.

Astral Dog

There was a blip during the PS360 generation where western devs were thriving and Japanese ones were struggling.

Franchises like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Tekken all struggled in this era while Microsoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda and Ubisoft all brought out some top games.

Wow have the tables turned, Japan is pumping out great critically acclaimed games while western AAA is in the toilet.

Now Nintendo, Sony, Capcom, Square, FromSoftware, BandaiNamco and a few indies are carrying the industry.

Can’t remember last time I bought anything by Microsoft, EA, Activision, Bethesda and Ubisoft, they largely produce shit now. Apart from Sony’s first party stuff all my PS5 and Switch games are Japanese.
i just wanted to add DOOM is still rad 🥰

digdug2

I'm not sure I agree - Rise of Ronin being incredible, for instance. But tech wise and UI design? They seem to be generations behind. Just compare Final Fantasy 7R, or 16, to something like Forbidden West, and how the former struggles on the hardware despite visually being supbar.
I don't disagree with your sentiment here. CAPCOM (Dragon's Dogma 2), Koei Tecmo (Rise of the Ronin), Square-Enix (FF7R/FF16), and From Software (pretty much every game they've released) are all struggling to develop these new games from a technical standpoint. I'm not sure if they just don't care about optimization or what the deal is.

I don't disagree with your sentiment here. CAPCOM (Dragon's Dogma 2), Koei Tecmo (Rise of the Ronin), Square-Enix (FF7R/FF16), and From Software (pretty much every game they've released) are all struggling to develop these new games from a technical standpoint. I'm not sure if they just don't care about optimization or what the deal is.
Equally baffling is why it’s never talked about, despite thousands of posts scrutinising technical details of games.

Top Bottom