• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

ShadowNate

This was literally and figuratively all over the place.

There were a few good bits but overall it was kind of cringe or boring, wasn't worth watching the full thing. Maybe the rain affected the performances?

The idea of weaving the athletes teams' parade throughout the ceremony segments made it probably more fun for the athletes than previous ceremonies, and they got a boat ride too on the Seine River.

Durien

overall, I think it's interesting they went with an outside-the-box concept but it was too ambitious hence the execution was a miss. It also dragged on for way too long because it takes place across several areas instead of one centralized place. At least it started and ended on a high note with the Gojira and Celine performances. All that weird shit in between such as that dude in the blue body paint should've been cut.

I give props to all the staff behind the scenes that planned and coordinated the entire thing. The logistics required to do this is no joke. How do you even rehearse this without leaking it beforehand?
Wtf was that lady gaga show?

DelireMan7

certainly not an agnostic approach to a presentation.

Is it official that is was a representation of this ?

Because there were people on the other side of the "table" (it was a catawalk) and the Assassin's creed /phantom of the opera guy made some move on it.

It never cross my mind it was this scene.

I actually thought the fat woman in blue was a representation of USA because her "crown" made me think to the Statue of Liberty. So I thought each people were representing a different country.
I was "choosing a fat lady for USA is quite cliché, a bit offensive for them" 😆

Ma-Yuan

I was done after this part 🙈 what does this have to do with sports and the olympic games.
IZlxOe1.jpeg

SJRB

Gold Member
The ceremony was quite good and had some beautiful moments but the segment with the debauchery, transvestites dancing suggestively, women with beards and the nude blue smurf was way over the line for a plethora of reasons.

Insane amount of backlash on social media too, people are not having it. This is a worldwide event, imagine sitting literally anywhere in the world except the US and Western Europe and watching that bit with your kids. This was not a celebration of country or historic culture.

Thank God for Gojira and Céline Dion.

Anyway, on to the actual sports now. HBO Max is streaming everything.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I'm not even Christian but that dragon queen last supper shit is a disgrace.

They wouldn't have the balls to poke fun at Islam in even the slightest way in France because they know their would be massive civil unrest.
Well they'll remember Charlie Hebdo clear in their minds. But double standards as always. Anyway...

T8SC

Watching the womens 3m synchronised springboard.

Somehow the Chinese are winning but I think Team USA have done the better dives, though I could be distracted by one of the American girls' fine ass.

al-pacino-booty.gif

Last edited:

T8SC

The Aussies messed up the last dive!

Team GB get bronze! First day, first medal.

Feel bad for the Aussie girl tbh, poor lass. Almost fell off the board.

1: China
2: USA
3: GB

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is the first time I am not hyped for the Wokelympics.

I will tune in for some shit though, usually athletics, swimming, judo and some other stuff.

RaduN

Loved the Ezio narrative.
Loved the "Imagine" bit.
The horse was well done.
Loved Celine.

The ceremony should have been half as long though and have less sexuality (i mean, much less).

RaptorGTA

I'm not even Christian but that dragon queen last supper shit is a disgrace.

They wouldn't have the balls to poke fun at Islam in even the slightest way in France because they know there would be massive civil unrest.

This.

I'm pagan and found this to be insulting.

If this was done in 1996 through 2003, then it would be edgy and controversial. Poking at Christianity now is safe.

me and my wife did check YT to see Celine Dion preform tho. Given the stuff she's been through, it was pretty awesome to see her preform and kill it.

Plus it's wild to see how big the Effel tower is. Her prevention was epic.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
So making fun of Christians is fun & acceptable, I wonder if they would have so much courage to make fun of Islam and how many heads would fall (literally).
No body made fun of French Muslims and they tried to burn down notre dame.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

Somehow the Chinese are winning but I think Team USA have done the better dives, though I could be distracted by one of the American girls' fine ass.

al-pacino-booty.gif
Judged sport with bias.

us divers are named cook and bacon. We have cook bacon dive team. Very American.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

al-pacino-booty.gif
Checked out the diving. The Australia team blew it on the last dive.

cycling. US cycler fell 3 times and the mechanic fell bringing her a bike. Felt bad for her.

diving highlight.

Last edited:
Djokovic vs cheeky Australian bloke is hilarious.
This was nothing other than a warmup match for him.
Ebden's been playing only doubles for years now and playing the GOAT for his first singles match after all that time is just brutal.

Pretty sad that Sinner couldn't make it but hopefully we will have a Nadal vs. Djokovic match for the next round.

Top Bottom