• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

Davevil

I just figured out if you look carefully you can see some nuts hanging out 🤢 makes it even worse.
9238537e01549af0.png

ManaByte

Lots of DMCA take down notices from IOC are going out today. Lots of opening ceremony content being removed.

It's not due to the content. They do that for every Olympics. They showed a teaser for Incredibles 2 during the Olympics that year and the IOC was who issued the takedowns of it online.

Well every country is promoting its culture during the event so that's the modern France I guess.

We should be glad you can make fun or interpret Christianity/Judaism however you like. It shouldn't offend anyone who has faith.

People just love to be outraged.
The problem is that by making fun you are essentially disparage the culture. It basically means that you don't have a respect to it and it means it is in decline. Oh well, pagan gods and christianity went through the same process. Now it is christianity and islam.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The problem is that by making fun you are essentially disparage the culture. It basically means that you don't have a respect to it and it means it is in decline. Oh well, pagan gods and christianity went through the same process. Now it is christianity and islam.
Art always made fun of religion, except the one.

Art always made fun of religion, except the one.
There has always been a difference between "making fun" vs essentially "public disparagement". Like burning a religious book is a big deal on a country level, but this? "yeah fine" some other countries happily join too.

By and large this contributes to overall decline of christian beliefs and ideology on the west. Shame but oh well somebody else will fill the vacuum as people always need some set of beliefs - whether it is the religion or government ideology in order to provide shared values. Maybe paganism will make a comeback or some earth religions or something. Religion and overall ideology is power.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
This hit at the rugby bronze game was lovely. Australia ties here but loses the medal about 10 seconds later.

T8SC

I think it'd be cool if they got rid of football (Soccer for the Americans) but replaced it with legends 5-a-side football.

I'd love to see the likes of Beckham, Henry, Zidane, Pirlo, Del Piero, Rivaldo, Shevchenko, Schmeichel, Cantona, Iniesta etc playing competitively again.

It won't happen because I doubt many countries could field enough players. It'd be cool if it happened though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We should be glad you can make fun or interpret Christianity/Judaism however you like. It shouldn't offend anyone who has faith.

People just love to be outraged.

I didn’t see any mockery of Judaism in that event, to be clear. It’s only Christians that are supposed to take this open defamation and disrespect of their beliefs with a smile.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I didn’t see any mockery of Judaism in that event, to be clear. It’s only Christians that are supposed to take this open defamation and disrespect of their beliefs with a smile.
Jews mock Judaism all the time. We don't care if others do it to. You're right tho, Jews never get disrespected for their beliefs.

T8SC

Perhaps the Olympics should have left religion at the door instead of having it in the opening.
Okay here's the Olympics:

paris-olympics-mocks-last-supper-1722068238.jpg

:pie_eyeroll:

The other Olympics topic trying to bring politics into it. This one focusing on religion.

Yep, this is GAF in a nutshell. Let's focus on stuff we can moan about. Give it a break.

USA gold in 4x100 swimming

And they smashed it! Hoping Adam Peaty comes good for his last Olympics outing.

The surfing competition is pretty cool - beautiful location and plenty of ass. Looking forward to shark attacks. It's a perfect background broadcast, 99% of the time it's just hotties waiting for waves with their ass up.

HAYA8U5A

Lady Gaga must love The Last Supper runway show outrage distracting from her performance that was far worse. At least The Last Supper had Sandstorm. There was nothing redeeming about the Lady Gaga mess.

Overall it had problems but being something different kept me more entertained than the usual stadium show. Shame the rain killed the full vision. The skateboarding stuff in particular was obvious how much it had to be scaled back since they were not even using the ramps. Stupid that people keep trying to compare the low points to the high points of other ceremonies that had their own low points too.

‐------------------------

Anyway, back to the important discussion. Those bottoms on the one Spanish beach volleyball player were perfectly small and not containing......

leonard nimoy dat ass GIF

Last edited:

T8SC

Womens gymnastics on now.

Watching for the artistic merit... Like every year. 👀

(In all seriousness, they are all amazing).

Commentator just said "they are beautiful to watch" ... I agree my good man, I agree.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Man there's too much going on at once.

There are 29 (TWENTY NINE) streams going on at the same time over at HBO. This is kinda ridiculous.

Top Bottom