• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On another day of Entitlement against Sony

Fahdis

So, I have 3 legit citizenships. Why can't I buy Sony games on Steam when Microsoft also does do the login requirement but has not banned their games on the platform for those same regions. Just why?

Do my KYC and let me buy my games on Steam in peace and play them. No I won't change regions because I live here now and this means I'm not arbitraging. They're literally losing money for not supporting regions on Steam. Yea some of you will say tough luck, but its annoying.

Fahdis

You have 3 citizenships and not a single one allows you to buy games on Steam?

Iran?
DRK?
Rhodesia?

So my PSN account is Canadian. My Steam regional Store is Pakistani. I can't buy PS games in this region because apparently PS does not have a store in this country.

Mokus

So, I have 3 legit citizenships. Why can't I buy Sony games on Steam when Microsoft also does do the login requirement but has not banned their games on the platform for those same regions. Just why?

Do my KYC and let me buy my games on Steam in peace and play them. No I won't change regions because I live here now and this means I'm not arbitraging. They're literally losing money for not supporting regions on Steam. Yea some of you will say tough luck, but its annoying.
You can have 10 "legit" citizenships, still doesn't matter if none of it is on the approved list.

ManaByte

So my PSN account is Canadian. My Steam regional Store is Pakistani. I can't buy PS games in this region because apparently PS does not have a store in this country.

Microsoft services Pakistan. That's why that region isn't banned from purchases.

Mokus

This is just about PS games. Not all of Steam.
I understand that. But don't worry, I moved to Germany and to my surprise many games here on steam (or PSN) are banned or heavily censored. The last 5 or so years things got much better with newer titles, but with the old games sadly nothing can be done unless the publisher is willing to put an extra effort.

Fahdis

Microsoft services Pakistan. That's why that region isn't banned from purchases.

Are you sure bruv? There is no Xbox Pakistan. Just the MS PC Store.

I understand that. But don't worry, I moved to Germany and to my surprise many games here on steam (or PSN) are banned or heavily censored. The last 5 or so years things got much better with newer titles, but with the old games sadly nothing can be done unless the publisher is willing to put an extra effort.

That really does suck. But I'm happy for you that its getting easier. Shocked though shit is banned in Germania.

cireza

Gold Member
Bro, why aren't you American to begin with ?

whatever-shrug.gif

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Can’t you use Global or Europe CD key to unlock the game? Or it won’t work if the game is banned in Germany?

Fahdis

Can’t you buy from Canadian store?

Taxes + $70 games? Yea no fuck that.

why tf did you do this, this seems ridiculously stupid lol

You don't understand how to save money, perhaps you should look into your own delinquency friend. It's a legit loophole or entitlement. I can change back to American/Canadian but hell fuck no. You guys are being extortioned. Also, my PSN account is from the time of PSN launch and Steam is from 2017.

what would you even sell in canadia

Mostly Igloos, Curling and Ice Hockey. And Timmy's.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Taxes + $70 games? Yea no fuck that.

"I want all the benefits of being a part of a first world country but I don't want to pay first world country prices!"

You elected to create an account using a country that gets you the cheaper games. This comes with drawbacks. Quit acting like you are the victim here.

Fahdis

"I want all the benefits of being a part of a first world country but I don't want to pay first world country prices!"

You elected to create an account using a country that gets you the cheaper games. This comes with drawbacks. Quit acting like you are the victim here.

Are you daft son? PS was doing fine and I have many of their games until PSN BS happened with Helldivers 2. This is not about victimhood. There was no drawback. It was Sony pulling back with their bullshit. Stop acting like you have something to add.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Are you daft son? PS was doing fine and I have many of their games until PSN BS happened with Helldivers 2. This is not about victimhood. There was no drawback. It was Sony pulling back with their bullshit. Stop acting like you have something to add.

Their changes reflected their terms of service. You don't have to like their terms of service, but you also agreed to them. They don't support a lot of countries. That's their prerogative. You are the consumer, not the one running the business. Whether or not you (or I) think it is stupid not not support countries is irrelevant. They don't support all countries. You should either get out of that ecosystem or migrate to an account from a supported country.

Fahdis

how did you find out about igloos
:sus:

Keep it quiet back there, eh.

Personally though Ontario and BC are now absolutely whack. Wouldn't mind becoming a Newfie 😂 but heard the homelessness was absolutely dire on the Islands and drugs too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While I won't argue the whole account thing, I find it fascinating behavior on the PC gamer side of things. Especially when most big publisher games require said accounts.

Example:
When you boot Sea of Thieves through Steam, you will need to link an Xbox Live account to your Steam profile before you can enter gameplay.

Fahdis

Their changes reflected their terms of service. You don't have to like their terms of service, but you also agreed to them. They don't support a lot of countries. That's their prerogative. You are the consumer, not the one running the business. Whether or not you (or I) think it is stupid not not support countries is irrelevant. They don't support all countries. You should either get out of that ecosystem or migrate to an account from a supported country.

No and thank you for your meandering for a mutlibillion corpo that can indeed not use a PSN popup to stop the rest of us be second class gamers. The whole point of the thread is based on the point that their TOS is a POS for region locking most of us out even with valid citizenships. I am in their ecosystem as I am in MS's. One doesn't stop me from playing my games while the other is anti-consumer. Of course it is what it is, but I can lay a valid legit claim for anyone in the same situation as me. Your opinion is valid as well with TOS but not your first statement about victimizing myself.

Last edited:

Tams

Fuck Steam and Valve.

pudel

Neo Member
Indeed. They are complicit as well, they should have told Sony to fuck off at that point.
Didnt Steam offered refunds after Sony came up with that crap ( which was 100% the reason why Sony pulled back)? And yeah, the region lock was kept afterwards...but thats the idiotic policy of Sony. You cant blame Steam for it. They are just selling the game based on the conditions of publishers/devs.

Likou

Banned
I have 3 non legit citizenships according to my PSN accounts. One for USA since we didn't have an account on my country until 2013, a japanese one so I could get some japanese only demos and an european one (I think Germany) from when they were giving free games and Europe got a slighty different offer (knack 2, yeah).

SHA

Then cross play must stop immediately unless these companies wanna dig their own graves, it's not like consumers will just listen anyway, think about the rest of the generation and the next one, the numbers will just keep on decline, it's pointless, stop cross play, cause it's seriously bad.

grvg

Neo Member

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, I guess.

Fbh

Sony doesn't really like us people in developing countries.
Either way can't you just pirate the games? at leas the single player ones?
I don't usually support piracy but if they refuse to actually sell you the games legally I don't really see the harm.

Top Bottom