• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm needing to pick up a new phone, and right now I'd say I'm leaning toward a Nexus 6 or the OnePlus One.

The cheaper price is certainly appealing on the One, but I'm not very familiar with the phone or their practices, so I had a couple questions.

Is the One 'noob friendly?' I'm not very experienced with phones, and I don't get advanced with them at all. Is it a good phone if you just want to use it straight out of the box as it is? Is it compatible with the Play Store that way? Meaning all the apps I use on my phone now will work on this phone out of the box, or no?

Another question that might be weird, and I'm not sure how to word it... How's the security on the base operating system, is it secure? Like there's no elevated risk over any other phones when you want to access your bank account info, or paypal, or your google account, anything like that.

Thanks!

It's very noob friendly, you set it up like any other phone. CM is a custom ROM of Android , the most popular and successful, it is known for its customization and security. 100% compatible with play store.

It's a great phone.

It's very noob friendly, you set it up like any other phone. CM is a custom ROM of Android , the most popular and successful, it is known for its customization and security. 100% compatible with play store.

It's a great phone.
Thanks, that helps to put my mind at ease a bit. I'm definitely leaning toward the One. :)

Double tap to wake is slightly slower. Like half a second. Cold boot is slightly faster.

The new equalizer app is pretty nice.
Go to setting and turn the double tap to off and then turn it back on. That fix it for me.

Battery is draining somewhere though not severe but I do notice that it go down much faster and slower to charge. But need to give it a few days to be sure, the battery sometimes need a bit of usages to calibrate.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just ordered mine last night 64gb version.....unreal actually how cheap the accessoriea are, they dont cost an arm and a leg for once

So I've decided to pick up a One this Tuesday during the open sale, couldn't find any invites.

I'm going to pick up the Orange case at the same time, and also a screen protector. There are three options though, and I'm wondering what the consensus is on the three different type of protectors. What types did you all pick up?

So I've decided to pick up a One this Tuesday during the open sale, couldn't find any invites.

I'm going to pick up the Orange case at the same time, and also a screen protector. There are three options though, and I'm wondering what the consensus is on the three different type of protectors. What types did you all pick up?

No protector.

beat

I got a tempered glass protector from eBay. No idea if it's the same as the one OnePlus is offering, though, but I like mine.

I would get temper glass screen protector. I like to go naked but One Plus glass get nick really easy. The glass is really soft and if you bump into something you will get a small pit.

I wouldn't get accessories from OnePlus. They are cheap for a reason because they are pretty crappy. I got hard Cover and it cracked less than a day. (The newer batch are better but to me feel cheap) That headphone is trash don't get it. edit: It sound good especially for the price but the materials and build is just scream cheap especially the connector.

Only extra stuff I got that are good so far are the extra swap covers. Bamboo of is nice thanks to fellow Gaffer sharing his invite. I also have white one but it is really slippery. I can't stand the sandstone one which feel to me like sandpaper. Also glad to be rid of Cyanogen logo.
1zKj1f7.jpg

Really? I thought gorilla glass was pretty durable stuff.

Not the one they are using (I think Gorilla 3) they tend to get very fine scratch. This was the same on my Nokia Lumia phone that use the same gorilla glass but that phone is smaller, the OnePlus is bigger and easily get bang into something and the glass just easily chip compare to my old Lumia. You won't noticed it at first but once you do you will regret not spending few bucks for screen protector. If you get a good tempered glass one they feel just like regular screen. If you go to OnePlus forum that is one of the complain about the screen beside the usual yellow tint complains.

I had the phone since June and put Orzly tempered glass on last month. I didn't damage my screen at all it's just the fear of one day slipping up and dropping it. I forget that it's on.

So after doing some extensive research on phones (and almost getting the g3), I'm going to settle on picking up one OPO tomorrow. i don't want a contract, and besides the nexus 6, its the closest thing available to a pure android experience, while checking most of the boxes I need.

My biggest concern is reliability issues, primarily the digitizer touch screen issue. Has this been fixed in later builds? Is anyone experiencing touch issues currently? Yellow screens? If so, how has support been in replacing them?

So after doing some extensive research on phones (and almost getting the g3), I'm going to settle on picking up one OPO tomorrow. i don't want a contract, and besides the nexus 6, its the closest thing available to a pure android experience, while checking most of the boxes I need.

My biggest concern is reliability issues, primarily the digitizer touch screen issue. Has this been fixed in later builds? Is anyone experiencing touch issues currently? Yellow screens? If so, how has support been in replacing them?

I never had any touch issues. I only know one other guy in real life with the OPO, but neither did he.

this_guy

My oneplus is having trouble picking up from my home and work. Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Quoting from a post I made in the Android thread:

It doesn't have all the LTE bands for an optimal LTE experience on either AT&T or T-Mobile. It will work, and does have their primary LTE bands however. (band 17 for AT&T and band 4 for T-Mobile)

It's missing band 2 LTE (1900mhz), which AT&T uses a lot of to add capacity in many markets to augment their band 17. T-Mobile is also using this band to convert their rural towers on EDGE to LTE. I'm in Houston and my AT&T Moto X is on band 17 (which the One Plus does have) half the time and the other half it's on band 2. Without band 2 I might still be on LTE with band 17 but it might be a weaker signal.

It also doesn't have band 5 LTE, which AT&T uses in other markets for capacity instead of band 2 LTE. T-Mobile also recently bought a bunch of 700mhz spectrum, band 12, for rural expansion and building penetration but the One Plus won't be able to take advantage of.

FreezeSSC

Welp,

If I get it and I have those kind of issues, It'll go right back out the door in came in. Either for sale or by return (lol)

I can tell you I've had the phone for 7 months no problems, but I'm on cricket so idk what difference it would make, I think that works off of at&t's tower. I live in Orlando for reference.

Any Canadians have experience buying from these guys? Do they just convert the $299 to CAD + shipping? I want to pull the trigger but I don't want to spend $400 CAD here

squallmx

Do we have a general idea of when the new version of this phone will hit? Fall? Sooner?

Fall 2015, unless a delay happens.

I installed the new 11s update (5Q), battery life took a hit, new equalizer is buggy, I recommend to keep using the previous CM11s release (44) until lolipop arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom