• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairhome

Do you think support for this phone will still be around for a while? I got one for my wife and my Nexus 4 touchscreen has really been bugging out lately so I'm thinking about getting one for myself. Not sure if there are any other alternatives that are around the same pricepoint, or if I should try to hold out a little longer to see if they announce a new phone.

MercuryLS

Banned
Do you think support for this phone will still be around for a while? I got one for my wife and my Nexus 4 touchscreen has really been bugging out lately so I'm thinking about getting one for myself. Not sure if there are any other alternatives that are around the same pricepoint, or if I should try to hold out a little longer to see if they announce a new phone.

New phone will be announced in a few months, Oneplus is backed by Oppo I believe so I doubt they'll just disappear. There's be stories about horrible support though and they're trying to fix that. Will take some time though as they add more bodies to the problem. At this point it might be best to wait.

I want to get a Sandstone 64gb. Once you send out an invite to someone, do they have a certain amount of time in which it has to be used? I

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Got mine last night. Really like it so far, big upgrade over my failing HTC One XL, even with a custom rom. Love the power/volume button placement, though I'm used to the opposite Menu/Home/Back button placement so that'll take some getting use to. Love how fast the boot up time is.

What's the word on the Lollipop update though? I did a little reading and seems like Cyanogen is on the outs for sure and OnePlus are developing their own AOSP fork that's pretty much stock with some customization features. Most seem to expect it to arrive with the debut of the OnePlus Two. But I wonder how the One will update to that, wouldn't it require a wipe just like flashing a custom Rom and not just an OTA update?

kingocfs

Got mine last night. Really like it so far, big upgrade over my failing HTC One XL, even with a custom rom. Love the power/volume button placement, though I'm used to the opposite Menu/Home/Back button placement so that'll take some getting use to. Love how fast the boot up time is.

What's the word on the Lollipop update though? I did a little reading and seems like Cyanogen is on the outs for sure and OnePlus are developing their own AOSP fork that's pretty much stock with some customization features. Most seem to expect it to arrive with the debut of the OnePlus Two. But I wonder how the One will update to that, wouldn't it require a wipe just like flashing a custom Rom and not just an OTA update?

CM 12S is targeted for early Feb, CM 12 nightlies are live right now. That stock OPO software isn't on my radar.

m23

Really not that hard to get invites anymore. Sign up on the oneplus forums and ask for one. When I asked, I got PMs from 3 people.

Torraz

This just begs the question, why keep such a barrier to buying the phone if invites are so plentiful?

It's pretty stupid...

Probably something related to psychology 101, marketing and influencing behavior. The extra barriers making it more enticing.

Quite interested in upgrading, perhaps to a future oneplustwo from my galaxy 3.

m23

All the issues been fixed?
Yellow screen?
Ghosting?
Shitty customer support?

I haven't seen ghosting or the yellow screen. Can't comment on customer service as I haven't had to deal with them yet. Only got my phone a few days ago. Loving it so far.

Socreges

Banned
This just begs the question, why keep such a barrier to buying the phone if invites are so plentiful?

It's pretty stupid...

Probably something related to psychology 101, marketing and influencing behavior. The extra barriers making it more enticing.

They're also controlling demand this way. They know exactly how many invites are out there and how old/new each one is. I'm sure the 'no invite needed' day on January 20th was a product of them building units faster than invites were being used, meaning they had excess. That one day probably put them on their heels again, which is where they'd rather be in this system so long as they're not too far behind.

This is assuming there's a meaningful amount of potential consumers who are interested in the device, but not willing to or aware that they can scour the forum for invites.

pgtl_10

It works. I had 24 hours to claim my invite and I felt pressured to make a decision. I bought it.

I have never used Cynogen Mod. Could I sync my Google account and access my contacts, browser passwords, etc...?

Qvoth

It works. I had 24 hours to claim my invite and I felt pressured to make a decision. I bought it.

I have never used Cynogen Mod. Could I sync my Google account and access my contacts, browser passwords, etc...?

just use send anywhere app to sync contacts, files etc between phones
not sure if browser passwords are saved on your google account

Chairhome

https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/560790593782435840/photo/1
B8hUEuOIQAA4Ffz.png

Are they going to announce a new phone after I just got my OnePlus One yesterday?

devjin

Congratulations! You have just received an invite to purchase the OnePlus One Bamboo StyleSwap Cover.

If anyone wants it, send me a pm. Invite will expire soon.

Edit: Gone.

I got an invite but they were all sold out, made a ticket and then they gave me another invite, reply was p fast.

Anyways bought one, they sure take their time shipping though, the ticket reply was faster, lol.

devjin

Dear Friends,

We’ve been shipping the OnePlus One for half a year, and nowadays we’re bumping into lots of people using it when we’re out and about. It’s incredibly exciting for us, but we always strive to do better. Although we have an active and supportive fanbase, a lot of people have interest in the One but have told us that it’s just too difficult to buy. We believe that great things should be shared. Thus, it’s been our goal from the beginning to put our products into the hands of as many people as possible.

Over the past few months, we’ve been exploring new ways of making the OnePlus One easier to purchase. The overall amount of available invites has increased significantly, but we’ve also held pre-order and open sales events, allowing for purchases without the need for an invite. During these events, we have been collecting data and fine-tuning our production schedules.

Today, we’re glad to announce that we’re making it even easier to buy the One.

Every Tuesday, we will open up sales for 24 hours, starting at 8 am London time (midnight in Los Angeles; 4 pm in Hong Kong). The OnePlus One will be available without an invite in both 16GB Silk White and 64GB Sandstone Black.

This doesn’t mean that our beloved invite system is going away, and it will continue to be the standard method for purchasing the One during the remaining 6 days of the week. And, you will still receive invites to share with friends whenever you buy a One, even on Tuesdays.

As a young tech startup, we’re constantly experimenting, iterating and improving. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and coming with us on this journey. We wouldn’t be where we are without you, and you are all as much a part of OnePlus as we are.

Never Settle.

The OnePlus Team

Just got this email from them.

Shirow

Banned
Wow I wasn't really thinking of getting this phone at all due to the whole invite system thing, now I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on purchasing it. I'm currently using a first gen moto g and was looking to upgrade but paying 400$ for a phone is too much.
Will I be able to make nfc payments (google wallet) with this? I have cricket wireless thou, I'm not sure if this phone will work.

3rdman

Wow I wasn't really thinking of getting this phone at all due to the whole invite system thing, now I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on purchasing it. I'm currently using a first gen moto g and was looking to upgrade but paying 400$ for a phone is too much.
Will I be able to make nfc payments (google wallet) with this? I have cricket wireless thou, I'm not sure if this phone will work.

NFC payment should work regardless of your wireless carrier. It's a great phone! The only thing I wish it had was MHL/HDMI output of some kind...that's it. Everything else has been running perfectly.

Hey all, I'm needing to pick up a new phone, and right now I'd say I'm leaning toward a Nexus 6 or the OnePlus One.

The cheaper price is certainly appealing on the One, but I'm not very familiar with the phone or their practices, so I had a couple questions.

Is the One 'noob friendly?' I'm not very experienced with phones, and I don't get advanced with them at all. Is it a good phone if you just want to use it straight out of the box as it is? Is it compatible with the Play Store that way? Meaning all the apps I use on my phone now will work on this phone out of the box, or no?

Another question that might be weird, and I'm not sure how to word it... How's the security on the base operating system, is it secure? Like there's no elevated risk over any other phones when you want to access your bank account info, or paypal, or your google account, anything like that.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom