• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
The press vid shows that it's water resistant but I'm curious as to what IP rating. Not a huge deal, but a coworker was wondering.

Drame

The price is really something and I've been looking to replace my iPhone 4 which's home button that works 20% of the time.

Really tempting!

The price is really something and I've been looking to replace my iPhone 4 which's home button that works 20% of the time.

Really tempting!
In the meantime I recommend jailbreaking your iPhone and sorting out some sort of alternate home button. I have the same thing with my (now old) iPhone 4 that I use solely to control XBMC. Home button is completely broken. Set it up so that pushing the volume up + down buttons at the same time registers as a home button push, then modified my case slightly so that I could push both buttons at once with one finger...

Oh, so yeah, anyone fancy putting up some sort of an invite-watch topic? I'm guessing there'll be things popping up all over the place in the next few days.

pestul

Nice. I can't wait to see something similarly specc'ed / priced in the 4.5-5" range. It seems it's only a matter of time now.

kick51

Banned
the welcome email starts with "Dear Fanboys and girls"

lol wat

suddenly i feel like i'm being set up for some kind of disaster because that's incredibly patronizing. not everyone is some phone-obsessed loser that fights about phones on the internet all day.

LeleSocho

Banned
Can someone refresh me on the advantages of having dram for the screen? I don't remember exactly... it was for the response time? or the battery life?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still confused about how you buy this thing. Is it not available for order publicly until May 16th? Or is it still invite only...?

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I've had the Galaxy Note 2 for a year now, and while I appreciate the large screen on a lot of occasions, for day-to-day use it's a bit too big.

But now that I'm ready to switch back to a smaller screen it seems that manufacturers are going 5+. Looks like I might have to buy an LG G2 this summer.

Massive potential but completely destroyed by the absurd size of the device.
I feel the same. They could have gone for a device that would really be more mainstream or at least widespread instead they went for the giant device market. It's still great for the price but meh.

Pbae

This entire invite only to buy is so weird. Why couldn't they just do a pre-order with or without a deposit to get a general idea about demand.

I want one...

Cipherr

Wait...so can I use this on Verizon?

Iai8z8h.gif

I'm still confused about how you buy this thing. Is it not available for order publicly until May 16th? Or is it still invite only...?

From what I gather is even after the 16th it will be 'invite' until they can ramp up production. Right now it's very vague, contests, social media, and their forums will be a way to get them and then after that I believe those people will be able to get them. Kind of like when Gmail launched.

I am unsure of how/if they will partner with carriers in various countries. Will be interesting to see the competition now.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...hing-well-do-it-lets-share-what-we-want.3034/

People are fucking this poll up. We could have the potential to get Moto X sized beast if enough voices are heard and people mainly want 5 inches still. Most 5 inch phones are too big with the exception of the S4 and Nexus 5. There are more votes for the 5.5 inch and bigger size compared to the 4.7 inch size. The hell is wrong with people...

I mainly use my phone for email/texts/internet. I rarely make actual voice calls. I'd rather have a 5.5.

Laieon

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...hing-well-do-it-lets-share-what-we-want.3034/

People are fucking this poll up. We could have the potential to get Moto X sized beast if enough voices are heard and people mainly want 5 inches still. Most 5 inch phones are too big with the exception of the S4 and Nexus 5. There are more votes for the 5.5 inch and bigger size compared to the 4.7 inch size. The hell is wrong with people...

Yeah, I think the Moto X is the perfect size. I had an S3, and I'm not sure I would want to go back to something that large.

Massive potential but completely destroyed by the absurd size of the device.
It's definitely too much of a good thing. I have a Nexus 5 and the biggest downside is the massive screen. This phone is even wider and taller. I can barely reach top corners with my thumbs. It's almost as if the wider screen is necessary to fit all of their target components in there. A 720p 4.0-4.7 screen is my comfort zone.

Cipherr

From what I gather is even after the 16th it will be 'invite' until they can ramp up production. Right now it's very vague, contests, social media, and their forums will be a way to get them and then after that I believe those people will be able to get them. Kind of like when Gmail launched.

Yeah I think this is going to be a challenge for them. Getting them available. They seem to be bottlenecking things intentionally to get a look at demand and whatnot. Even the Nexus phones do better than this, but I suppose something has to give considering what they are offering.

However after time if they are able to get their production and demand going, this could really be fun in the upcoming years.

I have a Nexus 5 and the biggest downside is the massive screen. This phone is even wider and taller. I can barely reach top corners with my thumbs. It's almost as if the wider screen is necessary to fit all of their target components in there.

Im sure they could fit it all into a smaller body, but not likely for this price. When you need to get that stuff compacted, you are gonna run into some challenges.

Man the specs and pricing of this phone is crazy, though I think 5.5" for a phone is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully they'll have a smaller version the second time around

So any chance of them ever releasing a version with CDMA support for Verizon? I really want this thing and would (try to) buy it day one if it supported Verizon networks...

unlikely, there really isn't that many providers that still use CDMA and they'd be adding to the cost and weight of the phone to add a cdma radio

reKon

Banned

I am unsure of how/if they will partner with carriers in various countries. Will be interesting to see the competition now.

I mainly use my phone for email/texts/internet. I rarely make actual voice calls. I'd rather have a 5.5.

OK cool, then this version of the phone would be perfect for you. This thread is about offering a compact version for people who want a phone and not a phablet.

Cipherr

Dang. So there's absolutely no way?

Unfortunately not unless they were willing to jump through the hoops, and costs needed to add CDMA support. Its unlikely, and thats the way Verizon wants it. They have the best Network in the U.S. and would vastly prefer people buy their contract subsidized phones so they can rake in the $$$. Verizon has little incentive to make things easier for the OEM's.

OK cool, then this version of the phone would be perfect for you. This thread is about offering a compact version for people who want a phone and not a phablet.

I thought it was just general discussion. The poll linked asked for general size and this thread is for the reveal. If I misunderstood it being a direct thread asking for smaller size I apologize.

I totally understand offering different options but for launch I see it only launching in one size, and my preference would be a bit bigger.

Don't get me wrong ... it's a good sized phone!

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...,OPPO-Find-7a/phones/8000,8603,7984,7600,8590

SRG01

So is this phone officially tied into Google's framework? I thought there were some issues hence why GApps is always a separate APK install for Cyanogen distros...

So is this phone officially tied into Google's framework? I thought there were some issues hence why GApps is always a separate APK install for Cyanogen distros...
At this point with hardware made by a legit company, they can sign a deal with Google to distribute GApps if they so desire.

reKon

Banned
I guess this means that the next Moto X is my only hope for a beast of a phone at an ideal size. If the One + One can pull this I'm hoping that the next Moto X offers performance that can match the snapdragon 801 for w/e they are going to use, but at least have a 2500 mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom