• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
what are they complaining about? the size?

I want that 5.5 inch phone. Sounds great to me!

Yes, because they made a statement saying the made a phone with a 5.5 screen that had smaller dimensions than an Xperia Z1, which they straight up lied about.

Even if it was slightly smaller than a Z1, I still wouldn't buy it because it's too fucking big. I don't want a phablet. I don't understand why are people who have to be at two sides of the extreme. They want an iPhone size of 4 inches or they want 5 inch + beasts. You people are ruining perfection for me and I hate you all.

Ultimatum

Banned
Yes, because they made a statement saying the made a phone with a 5.5 screen that had smaller dimensions than an Xperia Z1, which they straight up lied about.

Even if it was slightly smaller than a Z1, I still wouldn't buy it because it's too fucking big. I don't want a phablet. I don't understand why are people who have to be at two sides of the extreme. They want an iPhone size of 4 inches or they want 5 inch + beasts. You people are ruining perfection for me and I hate you all.

look at galaxy line, their screen to bezel ratio is unmatched, but it's what consumers want. It was certainly possible to reach their claim, they just didn't have the hardware design talent of samsung.

NH Apache

Banned
So are Tmobile and ATT the only US carriers this will work on?

Will it work on prepaid in the US too? Just trying to figure out the best way to work this phone.

Drame

In the meantime I recommend jailbreaking your iPhone and sorting out some sort of alternate home button. I have the same thing with my (now old) iPhone 4 that I use solely to control XBMC. Home button is completely broken. Set it up so that pushing the volume up + down buttons at the same time registers as a home button push, then modified my case slightly so that I could push both buttons at once with one finger...

Oh, so yeah, anyone fancy putting up some sort of an invite-watch topic? I'm guessing there'll be things popping up all over the place in the next few days.
Neat, thanks for the heads up. Had no idea something like that was possible with jailbreaking.

Something tells me that the price in Finland will be way higher than the msrp, but we'll see.

Pachimari

How's the camera compared to other modern phones?

I currently have an iPhone 5 and I wouldn't complain about a little better camera.

Takuan

If it works on my network, I'm in. I have absolutely zero need for a new phone (S4), but this shit looks CRAZY.

But what's this invite-only purchase nonsense?

Ah gotcha. Well for me, the Note is a perfect size so the fact that this phone is closer to that makes me happy. Still won't mean shit if I don't get an invite.

Your hands are too small

Wwwwaaaaiiiiittt.... Is that an actual good camera-quality camera? Not some POS?
I can't believe it. I bet it won't come to US Verizon though. :/

BigFwoosh

All you Verizon people out there: If you ever want to have a chance at phones like this, you have to go GSM. Cheap awesome phones like the One and Nexus line won't ever be on CDMA. I had to accept this and was a longtime Verizon customer, but I'm happy to say that the grass is much greener on the other side once you're willing to hop the fence.

Ephemeris

You guys are missing the real story.

These people went in the future, grabbed a cheap gas station phone from 2022 and brought it back to sell us. Why is this overlooked?

reKon

Banned
Your hands are too small

They aren't. I can use a Z1 one handed, but it's not comfortable when trying to have shift my hand a lot to reach stuff at the top and bottom of the screens. I have enough annoyances doing that with my HTC One (but it's not a deal breaker).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All you Verizon people out there: If you ever want to have a chance at phones like this, you have to go GSM. Cheap awesome phones like the One and Nexus line won't ever be on CDMA. I had to accept this and was a longtime Verizon customer, but I'm happy to say that the grass is much greener on the other side once you're willing to hop the fence.

My issue is that AT&T sucks in Iowa. Verizon's network has always been good to me.

ShowDog

Wow. If I needed a new phone this would be it. Hopefully they're still hitting this price/performance in a few years.

oxidax

Update 1: Some have voiced concerns about there being a second market for invites. The Invite System was designed to counter this from the start, with us having full control over distribution and expiry times. The re-sale of invites will not be a major issue.

Update 2: We have received some great feedback over the past few hours, and understand that not everyone likes to hang out on online forums. I want to clarify that both those who have supported us from the beginning on the forums, and those who have been interested but not registered on the forums will have ways to get invites.

Ah, Man. Looks like im gonna end up getting the Z2. I only get into all those loops when it's like a giveaway or something like that. I don't see myself checking FB/TW and their forum every couple of minutes hoping to win an invite. I really hope they fix that in the upcoming months.

daveo42

Banned
That does suck =/. I would hope that eventually Verizon will be free of CDMA, but it's probably a little ways off.

I'm effectively abandoning Verizon once this comes out. Been thinking about it for a while though. T-Mobile doesn't have nearly the same 4G coverage, but it's still growing. No contract with this phone seems the best way to go.

Somnid

So basically they are blowing a bunch of VC money to make a social marketing campaign fueled by invites to boost the company brand in an effort to get a fat buyout. Either that or step 2 is you get a piece of the sale for everyone you invite.

So the lies here is just about the Size but nothing else? What garbage. The funny thing is people are saying they aren't honest because of what they said about other companies. However they didn't lie, they even had a post about why they changed it. I mean, some people choose their battles so fucking stupidly I swear. All of what comes in that phone is now a huge lie just because it's 5'5. What idiots... Ugh.

numble

Xiaomi phones generate fake/cheap continual publicity by scheduling sales with countdowns and social media hyping, and then only releasing a small batch, then they repeat the same thing the next week. This looks like it's going to do something similar.

The thing about the CEO smashing stuff seems to be copy and pasting what the Haier CEO did as a publicity stunt:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...to-hold-chinese-products-to-a-haier-standard/
What Zhang did is now part of Chinese business legend. He went through the plant’s inventory and found 76 refrigerators that were outmoded, incomplete or otherwise defective. Then he had factory workers line them up and he called the entire workforce together for a meeting. Instead of giving the employees the pep talk they had expected, Zhang took a sledge hammer and proceeded to smash every last one of those 76 refrigerators to bits.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This things sounds amazing.

I'm a software engineer. I have an old Motorola V195 that I've been using since ~Summer 2006 (bought it before I started college in the Fall). I have been meaning to upgrade to a smartphone, and a new, top of the line one, but I've been reluctant to over the years for various reasons. Because top of the line phones are like $800. Because data plans that don't screw you over with 10 cent per megabyte costs over 1GB (or something crazy like that) would make my bills jump from ~$45 per month to `$70 per month even if I stayed under the data limit. Because spending $800 on a phone to have it be obsolete and unsupported within a year or two seems ridiculous.

But this hits all the right notes for me. And with TMobile's (my current provider) new plan, I can (I believe) have unlimited voice, talk, and text for less than $60 a month after taxes and fees.

If anyone has an invite to share, I would greatly appreciate it. <3

Wait so this is running Android?

I'm due to switch to from Verizon to TMmobile in July and get a new phone, I may just add this to my options.

Somnid

So the lies here is just about the Size but nothing else? What garbage. The funny thing is people are saying they aren't honest because of what they said about other companies. However they didn't lie, they even had a post about why they changed it. I mean, some people choose their battles so fucking stupidly I swear. All of what comes in that phone is now a huge lie just because it's 5'5. What idiots... Ugh.

It's still legit but moreover when a startup appears out of nowhere and starts claiming to do things that require huge infrastructure like making and selling phones better than everyone else just because they are awesome they will be heavily scrutinized.

Xiaomi phones generate fake/cheap continual publicity by scheduling sales with countdowns and social media hyping, and then only releasing a small batch, then they repeat the same thing the next week. This looks like it's going to do something similar.

The thing about the CEO smashing stuff seems to be copy and pasting what the Haier CEO did as a publicity stunt:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...to-hold-chinese-products-to-a-haier-standard/

Yeah, it's probably a publicity stunt in an effort to inflate brand value. Not that the cost is completely unthinkable either, this is just a marginally spec'd up Nexus 5 coming 6 months later. I'm a bit suspect about what their endgame here is (where do they make money?) and certainly I wouldn't believe they actually have stock to back themselves up as a legitimate maker.

"Oh, this will be my next phone!" No, it probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom