• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Man, I have a couple of friends that absolutely LOATHED Mad Max and could not stop shit talking it like fucking crazy. The rubbing in the face of the massive list of nominations and awards Mad Max has gotten this award season is truly spectacular, and it just got so much better.

Solid nominees and super happy about Mad Max getting so much recognition!

Wish Oscar Isaac would've gotten a nom for Ex Machina, but that category is probably the most stacked this year.

Also think The Revenant could've gotten a nom for soundtrack but oh well it wouldn't have won anyways.

Looking forward to the awards this year, very few categories seem to be a sure thing, so it should be pretty exciting!

VALHALLA AWAITS

Osahi

Carol wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Wow.

Yeah, that's a big snub. One of the most beautiful and touching films I saw last year. Have to admit I didn't see most of the Best Picture nominies yet, as they still have to come out in Belgium (most of them in the coming weeks), but I imagine Carol being better then most of them.

DrBo42

Pretty meh year in film based on those nominees. Haven't seen Brooklyn or Bridge of Spies though, surprised the first got noms in particular.

Effect

Glad to see Mad Mad get Oscar recognition.

Winning on the other hand...

Slightly surprised at no Star Wars for best picture.

I'm not. As enjoyable as The Force Awakens was there are a good number of films that were better then it in pretty much every category. It wasn't the stand out in regard to anything other then how much money it made.

Tugatrix

giphy.gif

CloudWolf

How the fuck is Carol not nominated for best film?

Glad to see Mad Max there though, but it's not going to win. Hopefully Miller wins best director.

Also, I really, really hope that John Williams doesn't win for Star Wars. His score was seriously uninspired.

That film is a really tough spot for lead nominations since it's such an ensemble piece. Everybody shares the same amount of screentime, so who's the lead in that instance?
You're completely right though but given Keaton's role within the film, especially early on, I would argue that he's the lead. Especially as the others got supporting nominations.

Zero315

Banned
Bryan is complete. He ran the gaunlet.....Emmy, Tony and Oscar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, it's for winning, not being nominated. Even if he wins, he's still one off from the EGOT.

Glad to see Mad Max and Ex Machina get some love, and I still need to watch When Marnie Was There.

Fliesen

So, as far as i can tell, these are pretty much identical to the Golden Globe list of nominations, right?

no big surprises here?

jett

D-Member
Also, I really, really hope that John Williams doesn't win for Star Wars. His score was seriously uninspired.

It was completely mediocre. Forgettable Williams stuff, like most everything he has done in the last ten years. He only got a nom because of who he is and cuz Star Wars. I haven't seen Hateful 8, but I would guess they'll give it to Morriconne as a lifetime award, even though he already got one lolz.

kmag

Yay, Saoirse. For a moment there I was worried Lawrence's nomination pushed her out. It's going to go to Larson, though.

Maybe not. Larson had the best performance out of everyone in that Category, but that's not always what the voters go for.

Xater

Glad Mad Max and The Revenant are represented well.

The real robbery this year is Sicario. That film belongs on the best picture and director lists.

pixelish

the only thing that i'm really upset about the nomination list is no love for love and mercy :(

not even a nod for paul dano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom