• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

It was completely mediocre. Forgettable Williams stuff, like most everything he has done in the last ten years. He only got a nom because of who he is and cuz Star Wars. I haven't seen Hateful 8, but I would guess they'll give it to Morriconne as a lifetime award, even though he already got one lolz.

This would be a makeup Oscar worth handing out, though, since it's a great, great score.

Weckum

hsUZqgp.png

So happy Fury Road is getting the nod.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That might be the worst best picture nomination list I've seen in a while.

Huh? Overall, I'd agree that 2015 was a weak year for films, but I think this is one of the better Best Picture categories we've had in awhile.

Best Actor isn't really grabbing me this year.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Gaga nominated for an Oscar
She conquered the globes and now shes coming for the main prize

TheJoRu

I loved Star Wars, and I think it should've got a nomination for Production Design as well, but that Film Editing nomination is strange. The sometimes quite jarring and unsmooth cuts between shots was the worst part of the film for me.

zsynqx

Glad John Williams got the nomination, severely underrated score.

Probably already posted but

The Revenant – 12
Mad Max: Fury Road – 10
The Martian – 7
Carol – 6
Spotlight – 6
Bridge of Spies – 6
The Big Short – 5
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – 5
Room – 4
The Danish Girl – 4
Brooklyn – 3
The Hateful Eight – 3
Sicario – 3

The Revenant – 12
The Martian – 7
Carol – 6
Spotlight – 6
Bridge of Spies – 6
The Big Short – 5
Room – 4
The Danish Girl – 4
Brooklyn – 3
The Hateful Eight – 3
Sicario – 3

Stolen from some other forum.

I loved Star Wars, and I think it should've got a nomination for Production Design as well, but that Film Editing nomination is strange. The sometimes quite jarring and unsmooth cuts between shots was the worst part of the film for me.

Well I thought the editing during the
escape from Jakku
was fantastic, and also the editing during the
Han scene
was quite memorable. So I can understand why they liked it.

pixelish

Carol should be on the list period and probably should win but I guess old white people don't like the content of the film.

yeah the carol picture and director snub were the ones that i was quite surprised about this nomination list but it's still a solid bp nomination list.

at least carol got a best cinematography nod and i hope it wins.

SpaceHorror

Nice to see Mad Max with 10 nominations. I'm honestly not expecting it to win Best Picture or Best Director (though I'd love for it to, obviously), but I am happy it wasn't snubbed.

Very happy with the nominations except for snubbing of Carol for best picture. Really excited for Mad Max, Deakins, Miller, Stallone, and Room getting some directing and bp love. I also think that The Hateful Eight got nominated in the correct categories.

The real robbery this year is Sicario. That film belongs on the best picture and director lists.

While I think Sicario was a fanatstic film, it felt a bit too ordinary overall, also in terms of direction. It got the nominations rightfully in the categories where it really shines though.

The best thing is all the nominations for Mad Max Fury Road. It will definitely get a lot of Oscars. And while I wish it would also win Best Picture, that one is pretty much saved for The Revenant or Bridge of Spies.

Emarv

I'm not the biggest representation guy, but 2 years in a row of only white actors makes me sad.

Hollywood needs to start telling and rewarding more non-white works.

The lack of Crimson Peak is weird. I don't even really like that movie, but it looks great. You'd think it would've taken a Best Production Design nomination at least.

fr0st

Banned
The Revenant – 12
The Martian – 7
Carol – 6
Spotlight – 6
Bridge of Spies – 6
The Big Short – 5
Room – 4
The Danish Girl – 4
Brooklyn – 3
The Hateful Eight – 3
Sicario – 3

Stolen from some other forum.

What was Sicario nominated for?

thenexus6

Glad Mad Max and The Revenant are represented well.

The real robbery this year is Sicario. That film belongs on the best picture and director lists.

I loved the movie, but I can see how people might view it as another FBI drama..

Cinematography and score were definitely the movies high points, so those nominations are rightfully placed in my opinion.

jmood88

Another year I'll be skipping the Oscar's since they want to ignore everyone who isn't white (aside from Iñarritu, for the pedants out there).

Am I the only one that thought Carol was just okay outside cinematography?

I thought it was quite a bit better than just okay, but I liked it and didn't love it. I admired it's restraint and the lead performances as well, but it played it too coy and then just kind of petered out in an ending that doesn't capitalize on its themes or characters in an interesting way.

Effect

Star Wars had better not win for "visual effects". That would be complete BS. People wanted less CG and less scale and they got it and have to deal with it. Not sure about the editing node either. Sound design though that makes sense. It was pretty good but again it shouldn't win for that. There is no category that Star Wars is nominated in where it's better then any of those films. Convinced it's there simply because it's Star Wars this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom