• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

That's a shame about the humming. Someone on that gamespot show made it a point that the person actually singing the words will get more points than the hummers.

Tntnnbltn

Lips DLC announed...
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=132320 said:
Aspiring lounge singers everywhere can now add new hits and old favorites to their “Lips” music collection

“Lips,” the new singing party game exclusively for the Xbox 360 from iNiS Corp., today announced the first two weeks of downloadable content available in Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the in-game Lips “Get Music” store. Hit songs by a variety of popular artists are available and new songs will be added regularly.

Seasonal content with videos will also be offered, so stay tuned for holiday music with custom holiday videos by artists including Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley, Gene Autry and more beginning on December 5. Songs will start at 160 Microsoft Points each.

Week One Global Content; available November 21
○ Adele – Chasing Pavements
○ Estelle – No Substitute Love
○ Jason Mraz – The Remedy (I Won’t Worry)
○ Coldplay – Violet Hill

Week Two Global Content; available November 28
○ Supertramp – Give a Little Bit
○ Smash Mouth – All Star
○ Vanessa Carlton – A Thousand Miles

Of the DLC, I think I would only get Violet Hill and Smash Mouth.

So any more impressions, or has anyone seen any more video reviews?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Nice, I think I'll buy all the DLC they release, just to support the game and in the hope for more songs in the future.

Take On Me isn't on the UK disc and is due to go up tomorrow, too.

When you import music it asks if you want to send song info to Microsoft so they can gauge the kind of DLC people want.

In other news, I absolutely rock at singing like a girl:

3046792860_e949d3375a.jpg

cjelly said:
Nice, I think I'll buy all the DLC they release, just to support the game and in the hope for more songs in the future.

Take On Me isn't on the UK disc and is due to go up tomorrow, too.

When you import music it asks if you want to send song info to Microsoft so they can gauge the kind of DLC people want.

In other news, I absolutely rock at singing like a girl:

3046792860_e949d3375a.jpg

That screenshot makes me want to buy the game. C'mon, price cut!

Cdammen

TheGreatDave said:
Doesn't GameStop have a deal on it in the UK? Might be to late though. I will pick up my pre-order tomorrow. Bought two crappy/cheap games and traded them in and paid like £7 in-between :)

TheGreatDave said:

I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable if MS could confirm if DLC you buy for Lips will work in Lips 2 or whatever (because more than likely MS will make many more). Games as platforms ftw.

Marketplace has been updated folks!

There are actually 5 (not 4) songs available on US Marketplace.

There's the 4 listed above, but also Ace of Base - The Sign

They are all 160 points.

Manager

Aww! I can't believe they haven't used A Thousand Miles in Singstar.

My copy of Lips arrives next week, I still can't get over the fact that there's no difficulties though.

painey

160 points?! shiit. Same price as rock band/gh DLC but without 3 other ways to play.. all for a music video in the background.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
painey said:
160 points?! shiit. Same price as rock band/gh DLC but without 3 other ways to play.. all for a music video in the background.
Aren't Music Videos 200pts on Marketplace?

Yeah... can't really complain.
Iced_Eagle said:
Marketplace has been updated folks!

There are actually 5 (not 4) songs available on US Marketplace.

There's the 4 listed above, but also Ace of Base - The Sign

They are all 160 points.
There are 6 on the UK Marketplace. Take On Me, which is free. :D

painey said:

About the same as singstar no? how much is 160 points in real monies as singstar was £1 a song.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Singstar songs are $1.50. Lips' ones are $2.00.

This game looks cack. Singstar has its share of problems and ways it could be improved upon and it seems like Lips doesn't get any of it done, with the exception of having wireless mics.

Oxymoron

Adding songs to the game hasn't worked for me so far. I tried both streaming off my PC and on an USB stick. The game recognises the song on and adds it to the menu, it doesn't play anything when I select it and goes directly to the score.

Cdammen

Oxymoron said:
Adding songs to the game hasn't worked for me so far. I tried both streaming off my PC and on an USB stick. The game recognises the song on and adds it to the menu, it doesn't play anything when I select it and goes directly to the score.
I've had this problem too but with just a few of my songs. I think it has something to do with variable bitrate.

I had a blast freestyling to Bohemian Rhapsody. My sister and I made guitar riff noises and air guitar poses :)

I love the game. It was cheap as hell for me, mic build-quality is high, the song selection is nice, the visuals outstanding and the song recognition seems really solid. I played for three hours, sang 12 songs and enjoyed it thoroughly.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TheGreatDave said:
So I shouldn't buy this for the song importing?
I haven't had any problems with the song importing, but the feature itself is shit, really.

Not only do you not get lyrics, you also don't get a pitch bar. The only way you know you're doing well is to watch your Star Power meter thing go up and up. :-/

I'll just stick to the DLC.

Tntnnbltn

cjelly said:
The only way you know you're doing well is to watch your Star Power meter thing go up and up. :-/
Based on what I've read, in import mode that's based only on how much you sing, so it wouldn't even tell you how well you're going.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tntnnbltn said:
Based on what I've read, in import mode that's based only on how much you sing, so it wouldn't even tell you how well you're going.
Hmm, not sure about that, as it wasn't going up all the time I was singing.

Tntnnbltn

cjelly said:
Hmm, not sure about that, as it wasn't going up all the time I was singing.
The Kikizo reviewer might have been mistaken then.

Would you be able to try a song singing in an intentional monotone to see how it scores you?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tntnnbltn said:
The Kiziko reviewer might have been mistaken then.

Would you be able to try a song singing in an intentional monotone to see how it scores you?
Yeah, I'll try it tomorrow for you.

I'll do Bleeding Love so you've got my 'good' score and my 'monotone' score.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
That first week of DLC looked pathetic, but the unexpected addition of Ace of Base salvages it somewhat. I'll get that and Coldplay. I'll also get all three songs in the second week. Hopefully, there are more surprises and they can license more than three songs that week.

Still too early to call, but it looks like Lips will have less songs available via DLC than Singstar, but the likability of the songs seems better for my American tastes, if the second week of DLC is anything to go by. If it's more like the first week, I'll be disappointed that it's just like Singstar all over again (songs/artists that people have never heard of here).

We often have friends round on Sat eve's for movies and games, and Lips seemed like a good fit.

Seems fun so far, but one thing that really annoyed me was the fact that you may as well have only one profile signed in at a time.

There are a few co-op achievements (that everyone who's signed in gets at the same time) but the vast majority only apply to whoever is signed in as player 1.

This means that despite all 4 of us being signed in, the majority of achievements went onto my gamertag, regardless of if I earned them or not.

It may seem kinda silly, but as much as I enjoy receiving an achievement I actually prefer to earn them than have them dished out to me for being signed in.

Also, the filthiest achievement ever award goes to Lips for:

Welcome to My Lips
Entered My Lips for the first time - 5(G)

:lol :lol

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
As a big SingStar, Rock Band, etc. fan, I was really looking forward to this.

Then I got it. Now I'm just so damn disappointed.

The motion-sensor stuff is comprehensively poor, the importing song element patchy and unreliable, it doesn't reward singing - just noise making, the music selection is dreadful, even the instructions with the microphones are wrong - they say part of the ring will light up to prove the mics are signed it, but it doesn't! The list goes on, but I won't; I can't be bothered reliving the nightmare.

What a pile of crap!

toff74

Mr Mike said:
As a big SingStar fan

rest of quote

What a pile of crap!

Nuff said.

I bought it yesterday.. had great fun with it. Loved the song selection.. And why would you want to just hum into the mike or rub it up and down your leg when you can actually sing/belt a song into it!!! I think a few of you cant stand the fact that MS has encroached into Sony space and actually done a good job of it!!! I love it and will continue to do so. I can hear Leona Lewis caling ;)

Toff74

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
toff74 said:
I think a few of you cant stand the fact that MS has encroached into Sony space and actually done a good job of it!!!

Er, no. I was looking forward to this so much that I'd told my friends how good it was going to be based on the calibre of the developer and all the promises MS made about its versatility.

But the game is a buggy mess that includes too many half-baked features and a nonsense scoring system, and all the good stuff that was said to be included isn't.

So this isn't about being a Sony fanboy, but more Lips being just spectacularly awful in comparison to any game. Thanks for trying, though!

Oxymoron

Mr Mike said:
Er, no. I was looking forward to this so much that I'd told my friends how good it was going to be based on the calibre of the developer and all the promises MS made about its versatility.

But the game is a buggy mess that includes too many half-baked features and a nonsense scoring system, and all the good stuff that was said to be included isn't.

So this isn't about being a Sony fanboy, but more Lips being just spectacularly awful in comparison to any game. Thanks for trying, though!
On the other hand, I had a drunken karaoke party with a few friends and we had a blast and sang until 3 am.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Oxymoron said:
On the other hand, I had a drunken karaoke party with a few friends and we had a blast and sang until 3 am.

Went to a party on Friday night and this was on. I was actually expecting Rockband or just music playing on the stereo. I gave it a go after more than a few beers. Had a total blast, The party game modes are great fun.

DeadGzuz said:
I don't get it, you can score well by singing random stuff or not singing at all, what is the point of having a score? Imaging if Guitar Hero just let you randomly push the button and win, would it get a 8/10?
They scored the game like the game scored them.

Eggo said:
but the likability of the songs seems better for my American tastes, if the second week of DLC is anything to go by. If it's more like the first week, I'll be disappointed that it's just like Singstar all over again (songs/artists that people have never heard of here).
Out of all those artists for DLC, the only one I haven't heard of is Supertramp. Never heard American Boy by Estelle ft Kanye West??

Steiner_Zi said:
http://www.gamersnet.nl/images/nieuws/2008/1221139113/abbps.jpg

This is where the fun is.:lol :lol
What's with people's obsession with ABBA? That's just awful music.

JonathanEx said:
Coming early 2009, turns out.
I'll believe it when I see it. Sony really dropped the ball on this one.

MadFuzzy

Phife Dawg said:
I'll believe it when I see it. Sony really dropped the ball on this one.

They're doing a 100 person invitiational public test of the Singstar wireless mics next month according to their Facebook page, which means that Vol.4 (PAL) will probably come bundled with them in the Spring, as well as them being sold seperately.

MadFuzzy said:
They're doing a 100 person invitiational public test of the Singstar wireless mics next month according to their Facebook page, which means that Vol.4 (PAL) will probably come bundled with them in the Spring, as well as them being sold seperately.
If it works out that way it'd be great, still hella late though.

Oxymoron said:
Even awful right wingers like John McCain like ABBA. Just accept that your opinion is wrong.
John McCain likes ABBA? Even more reason to not like their music :lol .

Kafel

Banned
I'd buy this only to sing with my own music. Although I prefer to wait a little and see how things evolve from the DLC side.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
akilshohen said:
Out of all those artists for DLC, the only one I haven't heard of is Supertramp. Never heard American Boy by Estelle ft Kanye West??

Of course I've heard of American Boy (I would be ecstatic if it was there for download), but that's not the song available. Also, the Supertramp song is pretty famous. You should listen to it if you haven't yet.

Eggo said:
Of course I've heard of American Boy (I would be ecstatic if it was there for download), but that's not the song available. Also, the Supertramp song is pretty famous. You should listen to it if you haven't yet.
No Substitute Love is (or will be, dunno if it's released already) a single from her newest album. Pretty decent album all-around too. I actually think it's the more interesting song to (try to) sing.

FabCam

So I played a bit last night at a friends house. I'm a big Karaoke fan (Singstar, Rock Band and Guitar Hero) so was looking forward to it. It's average. The song selection on the disc is pretty good but DLC is where the legs are so hopefully it'll get some good support. The import song this is shyte. Not even a pitch bar? What's the point? Plus it took ages to recognise some songs, then sometimes it would just freeze when we were singing one. The UI isn't too hot either when you compare it to SingStar but that's a bit harsh seeing as SingStar has the best UI of any game ever. Also, the online features just aren't there. Why no community video feature? Really barebones in that department.

If you're looking for karaoke awesomeness this Christmas, SingStar ABBA +SingStore is the way to go.

Top Bottom