• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUTRUN 2 - The Review

Brofist

Outrun 2 is a good game no doubt, but his review reads like he was typing with one hand and jacking off on his keyboard looking at an Outrun 2 pause screen with the other.

segasonic

kpop100 said:
Outrun 2 is a good game no doubt, but his review reads like he was typing with one hand and jacking off on his keyboard looking at an Outrun 2 pause screen with the other.
Bullshit. He mentions several negative aspects of the game as well.

Woohoo for SoE stepping up to the plate and converting this and releasing it first. Just played about an hour. I was going to do a thread but there's one right here, so I thought I'd take the novel approach and just add to this one.

Graphically it is lovely. All sparkly and bright. Although in the pre-event donut close-up I get this weird, I'd wouldn't say artifacting but is similar, like a bastard offspring of artifcating and aliasing. I suspect if I hooked my Xbox up with a scart cable it'd improve. Actually racing is fine. And so far I've noticed one tiny little instance of miniscule slowdown, but then there were about 20 buses on screen at the same time.

Enough with graphics gameplay. Lovely, lovely gameplay. I had two attempts at the arcade mode, one I took the hard fork first (it kinda crept up on me so I wasn't ready), and only managed up to 97% of the third stage. Second time took the easy fork all the way through and completed it. Also did an easy fork run through Heart Attack mode, got a C :(.

While I do like the drifting, I have to wonder how it'll go over with casual gamers, because it's kinda weird, not really like drifting you see elsewhere. It's special OR2 drifting. It can take some getting used to even doing, let alone getting the technique down.

Mission mode is probably the meat of the game, and so far I'm liking the idea. Don't know how varied it'll be but I haven't felt like I'm just repeating myself yet (two stages in albeit). The mode is divided into stages and each stage contains 6 missions (so far), which can be attempted in any order. The stage select is layed-out like the map screen. Completing a stage unlocks the next one, and I think, although I'm not far enough to confirm it, that it'll unlock both stages it branches off to. Basically it's like this. You start on stage 0, and finishing that unlocks stage 1 which is like the opening beach section of the normal races. Now I think when you beat stage 1 it'll unlock both stages 2 and 3.

The missions so far that I've tried have been drifting, cones (knock down blue ones avoid yellow ones), convoy (you start with 100 hearts hitting stuff knocks hearts off, timer counts down and there's an unusually high amount of traffic - this incidentally is where the slowdown was), knockout (race against 5 opponents, last place at the checkpoint is eliminated), a single race and driving within certain colour patches on the road, in stage 0.

Of Stage 1, I 've done one where like the heart attack mode there are a variety of missions within a race (drifting, cones, etc.), high speed (where you've got to keep your speed above a certain level for certain section of the track), maths (you are given a number then periodically along the track you're told to +/- numbers - I think divide and mulitple will come later as well - at the divide each route is assigned a number and you choose the right answer based on your calculations) and love courier (lines of 5 hearts are followed by a love zone, you have to drive through as many hearts as possible and then into the zone to deliver them, then into the next line of hearts and so on). The latter two (maths and love courier) are probably my favourite of the bunch so far.

All in all I very impressed after an hours play. It's definitely given me the incentive to get Live. The 2 month free trial should cover Halo2 launch (I pre-ordered my LE set as well today). Hopefully I'll get a chance to play against some of you lot.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
My main concern with the arcade mode is that the basic premise feels dated. Nowadays it's common to be able to choose tracks instantly, and unlock more tracks as you progress. Yet in Outrun 2, we go back to the old idea of having to race the same levels over and over again. I mean, you're always forced to race the first stretch no matter what, and I really don't see the point in that. It's the easiest part of the game, and you're still forced to go through it. It just gets tedious.

Good thing there's a mission mode! The missions are varied enough, and it gets kind of hard later on. That's where the enjoyment lies for me.

Trojan X

Banned
The ultimate enjoyment like what the review said is within 8-player mode on either Xbox LIVE or Netplay. Playing those bonus tracks 8-players is the CLOSEST YOU WILL EVER GET TO SCUD RACE AND DAYTONA 2 for now. It's so exciting you have the same feeling like back in the arcade scene again, this is a feeling many of us have been soughting for a long time.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm interested to see how this game will be received by the gaming masses. Not sure if people will invest into this game after Burnout 3 (I know they're not the same, but I think the casuals will be content with BO3)

I can already see people complaining about how 'short' the arcade mode is

"In the case of Outrun 2, it actually has the opposite effect as the game is an artistic marvel and surpasses any screenshot that is even in the highest of resolutions. The blend of raw polygonal structures, sensitive use of textures, realistic lighting and artistic scenery design blends together so smoothly, truly making Outrun 2 a fabulous graphical journey for the player to experience. In fact they’re so good, you just can’t help but to stop the car on the side just to admire how everything appears. Lighting definitely must have been the high order for AM2 as it’s not exaggerated, and it’s not too mild. It’s sensibly used and blended together to orchestrate a perfect graphical harmony. "

what a joke. And don't even get me started on the next bit, where he tries to explain how drifting works in the "real world".

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Trojan X said:
It's up, its here:

OUTRUN 2 - The review from the hardcore perspective

The awaited Scud Race hardcore movie that you've been waiting for is next!

Trojan cums through again with yet another fantastic and glowing review of the GOTY. Excellet work m8!!

Wario64 said:
I'm interested to see how this game will be received by the gaming masses. Not sure if people will invest into this game after Burnout 3 (I know they're not the same, but I think the casuals will be content with BO3)

I can already see people complaining about how 'short' the arcade mode is

Wars bars...j00 make an excellent point. But you know what? This is how I feel....FUCK the casual racing gamers! Let them have their B03! OR2 is our game! We don't need 'em! This is for the fans and let us keep it within our smal hardcore inner circle! They don't get it, and never will. We will prevail on all counts and show them how this game is beats the competition!

rod furlong said:
what a joke. And don't even get me started on the next bit, where he tries to explain how drifting works in the "real world".

:rolltesticles:

shpankey

not an idiot
rod furlong said:
"In the case of Outrun 2, it actually has the opposite effect as the game is an artistic marvel and surpasses any screenshot that is even in the highest of resolutions. The blend of raw polygonal structures, sensitive use of textures, realistic lighting and artistic scenery design blends together so smoothly, truly making Outrun 2 a fabulous graphical journey for the player to experience. In fact they’re so good, you just can’t help but to stop the car on the side just to admire how everything appears. Lighting definitely must have been the high order for AM2 as it’s not exaggerated, and it’s not too mild. It’s sensibly used and blended together to orchestrate a perfect graphical harmony. "

what's the problem with what is said here exactly? sounds pretty good to me, or are you just trying to be an ass?

Kon Tiki

Banned
shpankey said:
what's the problem with what is said here exactly? sounds pretty good to me, or are you just trying to be an ass?
The fact he just strings together some keywords without any real substance.

Okay signed up for Live and had a few quick races. Didn't stay longer 'cause there were only about 8 other people on (hopefully more streetdate breaking than indication of game pickup). Raced with a bunch of Brits and was hopeless, normal arcade course but so many unfamiliar corners. Also did the Scud Race track with some French guys. It was funny to hear them get around DieSquirrelDie. I managed second in that one.

I think obviously the more people the better it'll be but I also think catch up may be an essential choice for more intense races. Without catchup the field can become a bit too stretched and if you make a mistake the only to be in contention again is if the opposition also makes a mistake. I guess it comes down to which is better racing or driving?

The drifting in Outrun 2 is really easy and really silly. Basically you brake and countersteer until you point in the new vector tangential to the curve, at which point the gam pretty much automatically pulls you out of it. It's not really that fun in the long term.

And the graphics in the demo are pretty mundane -- I think Burnout 3's tracks are much crazier and much more visually interesting.

Drinky Crow said:
The drifting in Outrun 2 is really easy and really silly. Basically you brake and countersteer until you point in the new vector tangential to the curve. It's not really that fun in the long term.

And the graphics in the demo are pretty mundane -- I think Burnout 3's tracks are much crazier and much more visually interesting.

As far as drifiting is concerned it's importance has been seriously overplayed. A lot of the time you want to avoid it 'cause it loses you speed. OR2 much more about getting the right line for each curve and corner and most of the time that isn't with a drift.

Also while it's easy to get into a drift if you don't control it right it can be very difficult to get out of. I think this is why OR2 has so many chicanes 'cause while drifting round a hairpin is easy, drifting round a hairpin into a tight chicane takes a lot of control and good drift-out technique.

shpankey said:

Not only is the writing ridiculous, what he's saying is both ridiculous and plain wrong. (I've been playing the game for the last week -- no, not the demo, the full game.)

OutRun 2 a fucking "fabulous graphical journey" - bullshit. "You can't help but stop the car..." - bullshit. "Lighting definitely must have been the high order for AM2 as it’s not exaggerated, and it’s not too mild" - WTF is this wank? The lighting is completely unremarkable, for starters. I don't usually care to get involved in these intra-fanboy rantings, but this OutRun 2 hype is unbelievably misguided. And as Drinky mentioned about the drifting...they might as well just have a drift button and be done with it. I can recognize that BO3's handling isn't exactly rocket surgery, but it's far more complex/deep/rewarding than this.

rod furlong said:
And as Drinky mentioned about the drifting...they might as well just have a drift button and be done with it. I can recognize that BO3's handling isn't exactly rocket surgery, but it's far more complex/deep/rewarding than this.

Please explain, and let the truth set us free. You threw the statement out there, so how about giving us some insight into your thinking?

BlackClouds said:
Please explain, and let the truth set us free. You threw the statement out there, so how about giving us some insight into your thinking?

Drinky pretty much summed it up with this one:

"The drifting in Outrun 2 is really easy and really silly. Basically you brake and countersteer until you point in the new vector tangential to the curve. It's not really that fun in the long term."

You press brake as you enter the curve. The drifting just kinda magically turns on and causes you to oversteer in a very preset, linear way. You push against it, keeping the car's nose aligned with the vector perpendicular to the radius of the curve. Then, magically, it turns off.

It all feels very simple and predictable, without any sort of dynamic or reactionary component. Basically, it's the anti-Ridge Racer -- it's mechanical and largely skill-free.

Burnout 3 is somewhere between the two.

Also, why is having SCUD Race at home a GOOD thing? It wasn't a very good arcade game outside of being a sort of state-of-the-art-for-1996 graphic demo. That entire review was all irrational and inexplicable SEGA fetishism, and it didn't even make the ludicrous fandom palatable by being entertaining. It was just an unalloyed spew of hyperbolic modifiers onto a page.

Not sure why I wasted time posting to you. You haven't even discussed BO3's control, nor did you talk about the track design, and the best way to take corners or whatever the hell is those games. Do you work for IGN? Don't answer that one, that's a rhetorical question.

I didn't ask the question so you can BS around...I really want to know, and anybody else who actually knows what they are talking about, chime in. Then we can have a decent discussion.

reply to rod ofcourse....

Well, I can answer this: Burnout 3's drifting actually depends -- quite crucially -- on your approach vector coming into the curve and precise timing on the brakes, as well as a significant degree of finesse when navigating through the curve. It doesn't magically engage just because you hit the brakes -- if your speed and approach is wrong, you'll just whack into the guard rail. Timing on the accelerator as you exit the curve is also crucial and nets you a bit of a boost, and there isn't a whole lot of room for error unless you wanna eat traffic/quard rail. It's very satisfying to do, and nets you a load of Boost.

With Outrun 2, you can just whack the brakes with a huge margin of error coming into the curves, push with fixed and unsubtle pressure against the oversteer, and wait for the game to kick you back into the normal driving mode. The timing on the accelerator press has a likewise huge margin of error; as long as you're kinda facing parallel to the racing line and push it, you're fine. You can pretty much drift the first two tracks on the Easy path effortlessly. It all feels very mechanical and finesse free.

This is why I said people aren't going to get OR2's drifting. It's almost in reverse of normal drifting in racers. The skill isn't in getting into a drift it's in getting out of it safely and cleanly at the earliest possible oppurtunity to minimise speed loss. Other racers encourage you to push your drifting as far as you can but doing that in OR2 will hurt you more than it helps you. You can't have got past stage 1 of the mission mode without realising that. It's about finding the line to take each curve and corner without drifting.

I had no problem whatsoever in the demo. It's patently obvious when to whack the accelerator, and keeping your car on line is stupidly easy. It's like drifting meets one of the easier music games, it's so mechanical and predictable.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Drinky Crow said:
With Outrun 2, you can just whack the brakes with a huge margin of error coming into the curves, push with fixed and unsubtle pressure against the oversteer, and wait for the game to kick you back into the normal driving mode. The timing on the accelerator press has a likewise huge margin of error; as long as you're kinda facing parallel to the racing line and push it, you're fine. You can pretty much drift the first two tracks on the Easy path effortlessly. It all feels very mechanical and finesse free.

Drinky....how is this any different from Ridge Racer? I use the method you are describing when I approach a corner in all RR games and am always successful returning the car to form and continuing the race. Ridge Racer also requires you to let off the gas, turn into a bend, and re-accelerate as you counter steer the vehicle 'round the turn. It's a very satisfying form of control.

Without having played it yet, OutRun2 seems to mimic this approach almost exactly from you very own description and from watching the vids. If this is the case why bash it for doing something the RR series has already made famous and fun?

Drinky Crow said:
I had no problem whatsoever in the demo. It's patently obvious when to whack the accelerator, and keeping your car on line is stupidly easy. It's like drifting meets one of the easier music games, it's so mechanical and predictable.

Sure you can drift but should you? It's like jumping in Halo multiplayer. Sure on the surface it may seem the way to go, but really people who know what's what are laughing inside.

If you can't get over this obsession with drifting you'll never get to what OR2's really all about.

Nice straw man, there.

What *is* Outrun 2 *about*, hm? Listening to Magical Sound Shower and furiously masturbating over your sense of arcade nostalgia while pretending that the game has some mysterious hidden depth non-Segaphiles can't appreciate? 'cuz if so, Outrun 2 isn't my game. When to drift and not drift is pretty damn obvious -- the curves completely telegraph it.

I cleared the two demo stages with plenty of time to spare on the clock, and I did it on my first fucking try. On top of that -- I fuckin' SUCK at Ridge Racer and Burnout 3. My wife trash talks my arcade racing skills with impunity. Outrun 2, from my initial experience, is an utterly shallow and graphically middling quarter muncher of the too-classic, pre-Daytona Sega arcade variety, minus the challenge of the original.

skip

What *is* Outrun 2 *about*, hm? Listening to Magical Sound Shower and furiously masturbating over your sense of arcade nostalgia while pretending that the game has some mysterious hidden depth non-Segaphiles can't appreciate? 'cuz if so, Outrun 2 isn't my game. When to drift and not drift is pretty damn obvious -- the curves completely telegraph it.

I cleared the two demo stages with plenty of time to spare on the clock, and I did it on my first fucking try. On top of that -- I fuckin' SUCK at Ridge Racer and Burnout 3. My wife trash talks my arcade racing skills with impunity. Outrun 2, from my initial experience, is an utterly shallow and graphically middling quarter muncher of the too-classic, pre-Daytona Sega arcade variety, minus the challenge of the original.

^ agreed, mostly. there's nothing deep about OR2, and it's incredibly easy. slide left, slide right, slide through 30 cars on a curve. no big deal. I still found it OK looking and fun, and some of the outrun challenges are tough, but otherwise...I'd rather play BO3.

shpankey

not an idiot
Society said:
The fact he just strings together some keywords without any real substance.
MrAngryFace said:
It reads like a PR.
rod furlong said:
Not only is the writing ridiculous, what he's saying is both ridiculous and plain wrong. (I've been playing the game for the last week -- no, not the demo, the full game.)

OutRun 2 a fucking "fabulous graphical journey" - bullshit. "You can't help but stop the car..." - bullshit. "Lighting definitely must have been the high order for AM2 as it’s not exaggerated, and it’s not too mild" - WTF is this wank? The lighting is completely unremarkable, for starters. I don't usually care to get involved in these intra-fanboy rantings, but this OutRun 2 hype is unbelievably misguided. And as Drinky mentioned about the drifting...they might as well just have a drift button and be done with it. I can recognize that BO3's handling isn't exactly rocket surgery, but it's far more complex/deep/rewarding than this.

Oh, ok... I see.. but I still think you guys are being a bit harsh, I mean, he obviously loves it, and he has a right to and to say he loves it and why. Just seems like you're kind of picking on him a little :/

Brofist

Drinky Crow said:
Nice straw man, there.

yep, that pretty much wraps this one up

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Having accessible mechanics like OutRun 2's powersliding puts the focus on when to use it and how much, not on trying to perform it. Driving at such unrealistically fast speeds necessitates either an allowance for colliding with traffic, as Burnout 3's play system encourages, or some supervehicular ability to drift in order to avoid harsh crashes, as OutRun 2 provides. OutRun 2's challenge of racing clean lines, even while weaving in and out of traffic during a drifting turn, is more like a pure racer.

Graphically, this game is a liberation from the corridors built from lines of buildings and obscured turns of the past, which had made even outdoor courses feel claustrophobic. The scenery draws a country mile into the distance, uses proper filtering to not look like a shimmery mess while doing it, and gives novel perspective and scale for planning the rapidly approaching traffic and turns. The lighting is reflected from the multitextured roads and Ferraris and is what allows OutRun 2 to look convincing even covered in its candy colored coat of paint. The only criticism I have about the graphics is the slower update of the reflections.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Despite finding some sort of fantastically ridiculous enjoyment in OR2 on par with MAF's stringed adjectives in his parody thread, I agree wholly with the assertions made by Doug. The game is stupidly dense when it comes to successful drifing, and the core fundamentals are still trapped in a time capsule circa 1986. Yes, it's nearly as transparent as the tired responses made by Bush in tonights debate.

But I dig the rush regardless. Swerving and drifting NOT just through single corners or basic S turns, but -massive- fractions of checkpoint stretches whilst weaving through traffic in full on horizontal form is pretty farkin neat.

The game comes nowhere close to dethroning B3, nor does B3 exactly dethrone some of the classic pedal mashers like Rage Racer IMO(I particularly find the track layouts in B3 predictably bland, not to mention the ease of wall bump abuse overstating the need for sound drift deployment in most cases).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
actually i thought outrun 2's drifts were very similar to ridge racer's - that is to say completely "canned." they're not as thrillingly touchy, but the idea is the same.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I dunno, RR definately takes timing into account far greater than OR2. Entering and exiting drifts in OR2 is far more automatic and "forward planning" takes greater importance in RR. It's very easy to fuck up or fumble a drift in RR without proper approach lines or timing as I recall...

mind you it has been years since I touched RR5 and even longer since Rage, but despite the whiplash effect of cornering feeling similarly 'canned' the execution doesn't quite match up.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i actually agree entirely. ridge racer's powerslides are definitely more subtle and precarious.

isamu

Hmm, you guys might have a point there.....

Top Bottom