• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUTRUN 2 - The Review

Wow, I love playing Outrun 2, but come on, the drifting, while I think fun, is stupidly easy. Heck my g/f who can barely grasp the concept of how to work a powerslide, let alone do one in any racing game, can do it in Outrun 2.

The drifting in Outrun 2 suprasses how stupified and easy it was in Ridge Racer: Type 4. Usually in Ridge Racer, with the exception of Type 4, there is an incredible amount of timing and precision needed to do a good slide. It's easy to initiate, but it's not so easy to time and control it. That's why it seems like Outrun 2 and Ridge Racer's drifting is the same because you can execute it in a similar manner, but that's where the similarities end. Outrun 2 is by far more simple to pick up the first time, execute a drift, control it, and pull out of. I guarentee you when the next Ridge Racer hits the first few times I drift around a corner, I'm not going to do it well because I'll need to time it with how deep the corner is and I won't know how to do that because I won't know the tracks just quite yet at that point.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Just like I said:

OutRun 2 is so good, the only person who can hate it is Marty Chinn!

btw good to see ya again Marty

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It is probably too easy to drift, makes it fun to pick up and play though.

I went round a friends and ended up playing this last night, a big WTF at the lack of splitscreen, that sucks ass. We found it pretty easy (we've both played it once or twice in the aracde but never really got very far) the arcade mode especially between us we got all 5 endings in about 1/2 an hour of playtime, which is ridiculous even for an arcade game. The challenge missions offer some depth, unlocking all the music is great (Splash wave (1986) for life!) but the ones we tried (think we got up to stage 4 by the time i left) we also incredibly easy.

Also what are the cards about? Is it just random trivia or do they actually have a purpose?

Outrun 2 is definitely fun in itself but im not sure theres very much there to keep you going back to it.

john tv

Ridge Racer and RRR have my favorite drift mechanics of any racing game ever. As Marty said, the timing and control are key; you can literally shave seconds off the clock if you know how and when to execute a drift. It's such a rush! Especially when you drive with the black or white cars... :D (Recalls fond memories of successfully pulling off mid-air 360 spins off of jumps with the black car in the original Ridge... ahh...)

Been playing OutRun2 a ton these past two weeks; I actually enjoy it quite a bit, but to say it's deep is kinda silly. The reason I enjoy it so much is because it's dumb, simple arcade fun.

Doesn't hold a candle to the original Daytona or Ridge Racer, though. I still wish we'd get arcade-perfect ports of those that you can play on Xbox Live...

Trojan X

Banned
OUTRUN 2 is all about getting that racing line in order to achieve some serious times. Sure everyone can drift in the game but it is possible to drift in a way that is closer to the racing line rather than for show. When you're playing the game you will notice that there are different types of drifts you can perform but you won't recognise them if you don't have an understanding about them in the first place.

Sure, this is only a arcade game, but this is a Sega arcade game that has got depth behind it. It's not all drift drift drift because if you want that fast time you have to see that line hence, what was shown in the videos.

Specking of videos the Scud Race video is up!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Trojan X said:
Sure, this is only a arcade game, but this is a Sega arcade game that has got depth behind it. It's not all drift drift drift because if you want that fast time you have to see that line hence, what was shown in the videos.

I love this game a ton, but come on....this game, like most other arcade games, was designed so that anyone can start playing without a learning curve of any sort. Daytona and Scud Race were the same way. Those are my favorite racing games of all time, but I don't act like there's some sort of zen-like state you need to achieve to be "good" at them.

Outrun 2 rocks though. The Scud Race and Daytona 2 tracks are the closest thing we're going to get to having those games at home with online play, too. Too bad the Scud tracks have slowdown in the build I played.

Trojan X

Banned
??? It's an arcade game for the mainstream like all other Sega racers. Of course the learning curve would be easy. If you want me to talk about proper racing games but in the arcades then I would talk about BATTLE GEAR.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Stupid question, but was Scud Race the game with the Sonic plush hanging from the rear view mirror as you race? I think it was called Rad Mobile or something in America? Just want to get my memories straight...

Trojan X

Banned
That was Rad Mobile you were thinking. THis is Scud Race:

scudplus-02.jpg

Brandon F

So Scud Race is a totally separate game? I don't think I ever played it then.

Brandon F said:
Stupid question, but was Scud Race the game with the Sonic plush hanging from the rear view mirror as you race? I think it was called Rad Mobile or something in America? Just want to get my memories straight...

That game was fuckin' awesome. One of my fondest arcade memories was playing a hydrolic sit-down model at an arcade in Hawaii, good times...

Brandon F

Oh crap, looking up pics totally brought back memories of the game. I've definately played Scud, just not very often. I recall racing as this car almost everytime I sunk in quarters.

xScud_Race.png

For fun...Rad Mobile, popularized by Encino Man cameo.

1054032535.jpg

sRad_Mobile.jpg

Lyte Edge said:
I love this game a ton, but come on....this game, like most other arcade games, was designed so that anyone can start playing without a learning curve of any sort. Daytona and Scud Race were the same way. Those are my favorite racing games of all time, but I don't act like there's some sort of zen-like state you need to achieve to be "good" at them.

Outrun 2 rocks though. The Scud Race and Daytona 2 tracks are the closest thing we're going to get to having those games at home with online play, too. Too bad the Scud tracks have slowdown in the build I played.

The drifting is meant to be easy to start, but the challenge lies in controlling the drift and navigating the courses through traffic; you know, threading the needle. To the people saying it's dumb and silly and lacks skill is incredibly short-sighted. I guess if Outrun 2 is silly and dumb then you must think Burnout 3 is retarded, assuming we are talking about racing games here (and actual racing skills, of which BO3 requires none). Come back after you try and get through mission mode, then you can criticize Outrun 2's difficulty all you like. I went through all Burnout 3 in less than a week, while after 2 weeks I'm not even through Outrun 2's mission mode.

Have you Outrun 2 bashers played Outrun lately? I have to ask, what did you expect from a sequel to this game? Outrun 2 is an excellent sequel, and as a fan of the original, Outrun 2 has met and surpassed my expectations.

Argyle

Sho Nuff said:
BTW, Radmobile came out on Saturn in Japan as Gale Racer. I can't remember if the port was any good though.

Gale Racer was ass. That said, I'm still looking to pick up a copy if I can get it for like $5. :)

Edit to stay on topic: Burnout 3 crushes Outrun 2 like a grape. And I even like Outrun 2 for what it is (a sequel to a very simple arcade racer)...I'm definitely going to buy Outrun 2 cause I used to be a total Sega fan...

...well, I'll buy it when it hits $20, anyway. Too many other games coming out this fall, and OR2 isn't worth $50 IMHO. Shouldn't be too long, I'm thinking :)

Sho Nuff

Banned
I just popped in Gale Racer for Saturn, and aside from a hysterically cheesy opening sequence it's crap. Looks worse than the arcade version (!) and the cars are replaced with polygonal cars... weird.

BTW, anyone who says OutRun 2's system is too simple should play the mission mode. That shit will put hair on your chest.

Disclaimer: I have been playing BO3 and OR2 an equal amount of time. I love them both like a father loves his two kids.

Trojan X said:
OUTRUN 2 is all about getting that racing line in order to achieve some serious times. Sure everyone can drift in the game but it is possible to drift in a way that is closer to the racing line rather than for show. When you're playing the game you will notice that there are different types of drifts you can perform but you won't recognise them if you don't have an understanding about them in the first place.

Specking of videos the Scud Race video is up!

Fine, call it depth. Then every other racing game with drifting techniques just has more depth to it than Outrun 2. I don't see how you can claim that Outrun 2 is a deeper racing game when it comes to drifting. You can say the same thing about drifting and racing the perfect line in ANY racing game like that. The thing is, unlike Outrun 2, those games with drifting actually require skill in controlling the drift.

skip

Come back after you try and get through mission mode, then you can criticize Outrun 2's difficulty all you like.

I have been through mission mode. I've unlocked a great deal of it. some of the later challenges do require skill and good driving. but I am still criticizing OutRun 2's overall difficulty.

dam I was hoping OR2 drifting would be closer to Ridge Racer. Especially RR5 the analog button sensitivity made drifting more precise than ever.

jedimike

Marty Chinn said:
The thing is, unlike Outrun 2, those games with drifting actually require skill in controlling the drift.

You guys are making me feel extremely inept... I'm having a hell of a time drifting with OR2. Getting into the drift is easy peasy lemon squeezy... coming out of the drift is another story all together. 75% of the time I can't come out of a drift without braking. I can counter-steer all day long and it won't straighten out.

Please tell me I'm not the only one having drift problems... :(

When you're counter-steering, if you let go of the gas, it will straighten you out faster. Once you've straighten out, hit the gas again, and you're off. It's more or less a split second thing. Counter-steer, let go, adjust quickly, gas again. See if that helps. Also what helps is how deep of a drift you enter. You can enter a drift very deep or very lightly. Very light makes it easier to come out of, but doesn't turn as sharp.

jedimike

shiiiittt.... let off the gas? I thought this was an arcade racer. haha

Thanks for the tips Marty... I'll try it out when I get home, but I'm sure that's the problem because I can't ever remember releasing the right trigger. In fact, I think my knuckle is still white from squeezing it so hard... lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Trojan X said:

Best video ever.

Trojan...Does OR2 have music from Super GT? If not, how did you get the music from Super GT to play and blend in with the sound effects?

Trojan X

Banned
Well I'm really glad that some of enjoyed the OUTRUN 2 videos, believe me I tried to make sure that everyone is satisfied view point wise (well not everyone as I didn't choose external because that view is way too common and you all know what to expect). To make things easier here are the links for both Daytona and Scud Race tracks in one post:

Expert run OUTRUN 2 Daytona track

Expert run OUTRUN 2 Scud Race track

Isamu: Special thanks man, look in your PM to see why. If you would like a HI-RES version of those videos just let me know how to send to you.

Top Bottom