• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA Launch Thread - Kickstarting GAF's favorite next-gen console

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO at thread title. Call me when the iOS Cave shmups get ported to this. kthxbye

what will sell more, Ouya or Shield? I must say Ouya still has more hype than Shield because Shield got nothing beside from some "Wow i can stream PC Games (not many at start) on the thing" People.

Well, considering OUYA already fooled some people into buying it via the Kickstarter campaign Shield has some catching up to do. Like 20 copies or whatever and then they are even and both are ready to bomb.

Heretic

64MZee6.gif

damn lol!

I'm pleasantly surprised to see it has 40 exclusive games. Those screenshots look cool (Bombsquad, Chronoblade, etc) - gotta hunt some videos down.

If this has some great, cheap indie games I would love to buy, support and play. It is a cool idea.

I cant wait to play TitanFall on this thing!!
*PR Whispers*
Oh.. oh- umm, I mean, Towerfall.. yeah, have to pick one up for that next gen game...

A Raspberry Pi is perfect for this job (with XBMC) and half the price.

I found it pretty painful to navigate the menus on the Pi though. Although I love that little board (I have two), I was underwhelmed by how it ran xbmc.

But can oyua run the android netflix app? Android on pi can't due to some drm issues.

Getting XBMC up and running was a pain in the ass.

P.S: That gif is how it seriously felt. I spend the entire day making this shit work. There are no tips, no hints, no nothing online. Even the creators themselves have no clue how to make this shit work, judging by the responses at Kick starter and forums.

It's sad, really.

MarkusRJR

I really want to get this thing, as someone who owns like 40 or 50 XBLIG. I just hope the controller issues are fixed down the road.

Senaxx

Banned
Hopefully I can make the PS3 controller work. It should be possible to make it work wirelessly. As soon as I get the Ouya next week, i'll be trying to get that to work.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a shame it's so expensive in the UK. It's £99 here. Around $150. Fuck that.

Tizoc

Can't view images from the OP but a i have a few questions, which I hope are OK to ask, if not I'll just edit/delte my post.

What emulators can Ouya run?
How's the D-Pad like on the Ouya controller? Like a PS3 or 360s?

JLeack

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how well (or poorly) this console does. I can certainly understand the benefit of a controller and a larger screen, but portability and on-the-fly play is what makes many of these games so great.

Eusis

I like how quickly the whole Wii U defense of "Generations are chronological" went out the window. Not tat you personally said it, but that people aren't bothering to correct you.
This probably will be an odd one given they intend to iterate yearly. Though honestly it really IS in line with trends that will accelerate on next gen consoles, both the Wii U and PS4 are far more indie friendly along with their respective handhelds, and even Microsoft sounds as if they may turn.

nampad

Nice OT.
The price difference between North America and Europe is beyond awful and somehow kills the little bit of interest I've got for the OUYA.
I like the idea of an open indie platform. Hope the indie devs support this console so it can be successful.

Can't view images from the OP but a i have a few questions, which I hope are OK to ask, if not I'll just edit/delte my post.

What emulators can Ouya run?
How's the D-Pad like on the Ouya controller? Like a PS3 or 360s?
It runs all the typical emulators that you expect. Sega, Nintendo, PSX.

D-pad is shit.

Cmagus

I'm still kind of interested in this. Thinking about picking one up but still not fully sure yet. Some of the announced titles look pretty good.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At what point will we have a OUYA emulator on PC?

Stimpack

Now we get to see a thousand comments and quotes on that gif again. I don't know how there are people around here who haven't seen it by now. Also, the OUYA is still a disappointment. Might as well have just called it the XBMC machine, because that's the only thing that isn't a total mess.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm waiting my order to come. I plan to use it mostly as a glorified Roku and I like messing around with android. For these purposes is cheap. To controller is ugly as fuck and it will end up in the garbage bin as soon as I will manage to pair another one with it.

I like how quickly the whole Wii U defense of "Generations are chronological" went out the window. Not tat you personally said it, but that people aren't bothering to correct you.

Don't feed the trolls? Do you think this thread would benefit from another discussion about generations?

Fox Mulder

Now we get to see a thousand comments and quotes on that gif again. I don't know how there are people around here who haven't seen it by now. Also, the OUYA is still a disappointment. Might as well have just called it the XBMC machine, because that's the only thing that isn't a total mess.

I didn't back it, but what were people expecting, especially from a new group?

Even if it only gets a couple of decent indie games, it'll still be a nice Android roku box that plays better games and emulators.

I can get $99 of use from it, I guess all the angel kickstarter investors need more realistic expectations.

tranciful

GAF's advice for the industry at large: Stop trying to make big budget AAA games! We don't want them!

GAF's advice for Ouya: Get better graphics and bigger budget games!

Moobabe

Everyone seems pretty down on this in here - any positive impressions?

We've been sent one for free at work that I've been offered but I'm not sure if it's worth the time. How expensive are the games etc

cyberheater

I paid $150 for my Kickstarter edition colour and additional controller. Hoping it might turn up at some point.

I heard of that. I can't believe that got retail units out before sending out all the kickerstarter editions.

I like the concept of the console but that Euro-price is atrocious.

€ 119 = $ 154

Yeah. Fuck that. It's a big NO from me.

EDIT: I've sent OUYA a email asking them why it's so expensive here. I'll let you know if they respond.

GAF's advice for the industry at large: Stop trying to make big budget AAA games! We don't want them!

GAF's advice for Ouya: Get better graphics and bigger budget games!

2 groups of people that are equally loud.

Same with AAA games.

One group: they need to die.
Another Group: These graphics look like shit, they need to put more money on these.

Equally loud.

U2NUMB

Amazon says mine is supposed to be here tomorrow but has not shipped yet so we shall see.. my hype is super killed at this point so I am hoping I get some fun out of it and I am looking to see what sort of apps I can add to it.

Edit: Nevermind.. amazon says shipping now

For the price .. why not but I also want to see if I can get my 360 controller working with it since I have heard nothing but bad things about the quality of the controller that it comes with.

I'll recap what I said about the controller in the other thread since this now seems to be the OT.

The pad is alright, I find that it sits in my hands well even though it looks like the handles are too big, they just about work.

The sticks are very much like a ps2 stick but with the stronger feeling of a 360 stick, so it's best of both and IMO the best thing about the controller, however the stick arms will rub against the metal controller clip on case and it's starting to cut into them a little bit, enough to see a visible white plastic line.

Face buttons feel a little cheap but do their job, just not as nice as a ps3 or 360 face button to press.

Dpad is terrible, the shape is fine but there is zero give, pressing down a direction moves it about 1mm into the case, it's like using a touchscreen Dpad in terms of how hard and flat it feels.

Bumpers feel fine.

Triggers have rubbing issues somewhere behind on the joint or something, they work but they really do need a little grease or WD40 in there, just not sure where to squirt it yet.

Not had any pad lag yet but I sit about 5 foot away from the ouya with it on the floor, so I am above it and the ouya is out in the open currently, story may change if I sit back more and move the ouya between other units cutting down it's freedom to send wireless signals.

daevv

Does EB Games carry Ouya here in Canada?
The system shows up on the Gamestop website but not the EB Games one.

BiggNife

I find it legitimately fascinating how quickly Ouya hype turned to almost universal apathy.

I guess the turning point was probably GDC when people first actually got to use it.

Top Bottom