• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA Launch Thread - Kickstarting GAF's favorite next-gen console

SpeedNut

ouya-benchmark.010.jpg

1.2ghz nexus 7 vs 1.7ghz ouya... wow, the firmware must be some seriously poorly coded crap

Either that or there was some optimization mumbo jumbo in 4.2?

I have the Kickstarter Brown edition. There's some fun games on it and the right "trigger" button on mine had a sticking issue for a bit right out of the box. Twitch worked well during E3 so I could watch the BF4 stuff on a big screen.

Is it a beast killer? Hell no. Is there some fun to be had on it? For sure. Would I recommend it over a Wii at $99? Probably not.

Boerseun

Banned
I backed the Kickstarter and am one of many still waiting on my Special Edition unit to arrive. Apparently it's an issue with DHL, who messed up regarding the logistics of shipping thousands of these things worldwide.

The following message was sent out yesterday:

Backers,

I am pissed. Some of you have not yet received your OUYA -- and, to you, I apologize. I did not promise to ship to *most* of you before we hit store shelves. I promised to ship to *all* of you. I’ve been reading your comments, and we are working to solve this.

Here is what I know:

We delivered your OUYAs to our partner in May, and since then they have been in their custody. We paid for shipping, yet the deliveries remain incomplete. We know everyone is getting their OUYA, but it is taking longer than we expected.

We are working hard to get you answers, and more importantly, to fix this. On our end, we have tripled our customer service team so we can respond as quickly as possible to your questions (though the answer may still be that it’s in transit). We are working with our partners to resolve any administrative issues related to undelivered boxes (errors in shipping addresses, customs holds, etc.). I’m told that despite our best efforts, it may take another two weeks or more for some of these units to arrive.

We will resolve this as quickly as possible. I’ve had my team working all evening to provide me with the current state of affairs and what we are doing to make it right. Ken, our Special Ops lead, can give you more detail.

- Julie

I'm still excited, I'm still hyped, but the wait has been annoying.

I'm reading fan forums like the one at www.OUYAforum.com, and clearly there are numerous great titles already out with many more to come. The thing is a success, for all intents and purposes, and as a gamer I'm happy to own one. I just wish it got here (DE) when it was supposed to.

ouya-benchmark.010.jpg

1.2ghz nexus 7 vs 1.7ghz ouya... wow, the firmware must be some seriously poorly coded crap

Ah I was looking for geekbench scores for ages, nice to know it's average is 1100 as I needed to know it's difference to my iOS devices. (to compare the A4 chip is about 650, the A6 in the iPhone 5 is 1600'ish)

I want to OC my ouya in some way, it's a little too slow IMO, would be fine if it was running at SD res but games would look terrible.

Boerseun

Banned
This is what this should of being.

• Includes: 1 OUYA wireless controller/Case: Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic
  • CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 4 Quad-Core / Memory: 2GB RAM
  • Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
  • Storage: 16GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: Two USB 3.0 ports, One Micro USB port
  • Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)
I'm not kidding, this thing is like a year and a half behind in mobile tech.

No, these specs are dumb. It would just defeat the purpose of the thing entirely.

GulAtiCa

I may get one eventually. There re some games I'm slightly interested in, esp future Renegade Kids games.

Also, the Ouya's looks interest me highly as a game collector. Too bad I've heard the controller sucks, that and it looks like a cookie...

I personally hate pretty much all alternative monitization systems. In app purchases and microtransactions of any kind rapidly degrade the experience IMO. Just let me buy the game and never think about money while I'm playing it. Crucially, I don't want maximizing profits to be what you're thinking about when you design the experience and define how it is balanced.

As much as I like and respect what Ouya is doing, I don't see compelling experiences worth getting excited about in it's stable. That said, I'm not writing it off, and will be following it, looking for things that I can't miss out on.

GAF's advice for the industry at large: Stop trying to make big budget AAA games! We don't want them!

GAF's advice for Ouya: Get better graphics and bigger budget games!

GAF says they don't like 60$ games, want more budget priced games like Anarchy Reigns that sold 10 copies, 8 of them on GAF. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

To actually discuss the Ouya, I got one for my fiance since it was a small investment and he only likes simple games with a retro feel (he loves New Super Mario Bros, Trine, etc.), except for Skyrim, he looooves Skyrim.

Are there any games, preferably exclusive to the Ouya but not required, that would scratch his itch?

I understand Skyrim-like games will be few and far between (and probably awful), but he is a lot less picky than I am.

I should also clarify that just a retro look or feel isn't quite what I'm after. Platforming games would be great, 2D sidescrollers that aren't terribly difficult, etc.

Nibiru

Banned
I was interested in this just purely for emulation stuff, nice simple setup. But hearing about the controller issues, eek.

Ya it totally sucks. Especially for me who ordered 2 of them:(

Well the saving grace is that you can use a ps3 or 360 controller also from what I have read.

Aske

I might pick up one of these to replace my Boxee, which has always been an unreliable piece of crap. Looks like a decent streaming media box. The seeking issue is annoying, as is the lack of a remote (I don't have an Android phone to use), but I'm sure the XBMC app will improve.

I managed to side load and get Real Racing 3 working, it's running at max visual setting by default and the frame rate is rather poor, using the touch pad to steer with auto brake as there is zero button input in the android version of this game.

http://www.twitch.tv/diabuk/b/422262460

It's interesting, dial back some visuals (maybe not as low as an old ipod runs it at) and give it pad controls it would be rather cool to play.

jond76

Banned
To actually discuss the Ouya, I got one for my fiance since it was a small investment and he only likes simple games with a retro feel (he loves New Super Mario Bros, Trine, etc.), except for Skyrim, he looooves Skyrim.

Are there any games, preferably exclusive to the Ouya but not required, that would scratch his itch?

I understand Skyrim-like games will be few and far between (and probably awful), but he is a lot less picky than I am.

I should also clarify that just a retro look or feel isn't quite what I'm after. Platforming games would be great, 2D sidescrollers that aren't terribly difficult, etc.

Try Vector. Its a surprisingly fun side scroller runner game. Looks great too.

Super Crate Box, Organ Trail and TowerFall are probably the only better games on Ouya. Spent the past hour playing Crate Box lol Really challenging and fun.

THe Ouya really isn't that bad if you only have $100 to spend and want do some gaming, a couple indie games and a SNES emulator is all i need.

U2NUMB

I am having a very annoying time simply trying to get this thing to let me register. Every username I put in (Following their rules they list) is invalid.. does not say it is taken just simply invalid.

Any way to register through a website then just log in?

I have a feeling this will go the way of Xbox Live Indie Games real fast.

One small difference on the ouya is that all new games start off in the sandbox listing, you only progress to real catagories once you have proved your game via people paying for it, rating it and downloading it.

SHould help stop a lot of the more simple trash zombie miner Z noscope 360 app's flooding between the creme.

Azriell

I'm sort of interested in this as a netflix device. It would be great in my kids' rooms, and they would also probably get into the games and maybe some emulation as well. But I think I'm going to wait and see where this goes, maybe see how next year's hardware looks.

$99 is the perfect price for this though. And unlike my iPad, which I always feel sort of bitter about wanting to upgrade every year (or two), I would have no reservations dropping $99 yearly if they improve the specs.

U2NUMB

So is the marketplace down? I can stream twitch.. get to the web but going into Discover and it just backs out or errors out.

Quasar

Well my pre-order finally shipped. Hopefully the plex client runs decently enough on it. Is it really too much to ask for a small, low cost device that runs plex client software decently?

I'd hate to have to buy a XBone or an actual PC for that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well my pre-order finally shipped. Hopefully the plex client runs decently enough on it. Is it really too much to ask for a small, low cost device that runs plex client software decently?

Plex doesn't work well on Roku 3?

saunderez

It should run Plex fine, even XBMC runs really well for the most part and its still in Alpha.

mgnade

Neo Member
Anybody with an Ouya have some suggestions on games that are any good?

So far, I'm liking:
Polarity
Deep Dungeons of Doom
No Brakes Valet

#MAD!

My pre-order unit isn't here nor can I find them at any local Bestbuy or Gamestop. I must have checked about 4 Bestbuys and 15 Gamestops ;(

On the real I just want to use it for XMBC and emulation and maybe some homebrew. Can't beat a portable emu station. Hoping to see if I can get some Gamesticks paired up with it.... anyone here who has one, have you tried to pair a PS3 stick (wired) yet?

Top Bottom