• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 50% of PlayStation’s Live Service Projects Either Failed Or Were Canceled

bitbydeath

Did they? Never knew.
It's an Incognito game, which apparently was led by Jaffe, although at least Jaffe left Incognito before they developed Warhawk.
SM did a bit of collab work back then, here’s an old interview with Santa Monica game director talking about what to expect from it.

The hole is due to delayed single-player games more than canceled live service games. Wolverine was announced in 2021, but my guess is that they've run into trouble since like Playground games doing Fable, they're not really suited for this type of game. It's a major departure from what they're good at.
While I understand the difficulties, I still find it extremely intriguing to use a racing game developer to make an RPG. They could bring an entirely different perspective to a genre they’re not used to dealing with.

I still would love to see them put one of their shooter devs on the next racing game to see what happens.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
While I understand the difficulties, I still find it extremely intriguing to use a racing game developer to make an RPG. They could bring an entirely different perspective to a genre they’re not used to dealing with.

I still would love to see them put one of their shooter devs on the next racing game to see what happens.

I think the best evolutions are natural ones.

Naughty Dog didn't jump from Jak and Daxter to Uncharted. They made Jak 2 and Jak 3. They had more experience with shooting mechanics. They still used some elements of platforming, but you can also tell that Uncharted feels grossly inferior to Uncharted 2. By the time they did UC2 they were firing on all cylinders.

Those cylinders lead to TLOU, UC4, and TLOU2.

I'm not sure there is anyone in the industry who does action gameplay better than they do.

Now if they were to try and do an open world game, that would be out of their wheelhouse just as trying to do a GaaS game was.

You can see Insomniac's entire DNA in Spider-Man 2. From Spyro, to Ratchet, to Resistance, to Sunset Overdrive...

Not saying Playground and Insomniac can't pull off Fable and Wolverine, but these are not in their wheel house and I don't think they have any special perspectives.

I think the best evolutions are natural ones.

Naughty Dog didn't jump from Jak and Daxter to Uncharted. They made Jak 2 and Jak 3. They had more experience with shooting mechanics. They still used some elements of platforming, but you can also tell that Uncharted feels grossly inferior to Uncharted 2. By the time they did UC2 they were firing on all cylinders.

Those cylinders lead to TLOU, UC4, and TLOU2.

I'm not sure there is anyone in the industry who does action gameplay better than they do.

Now if they were to try and do an open world game, that would be out of their wheelhouse just as trying to do a GaaS game was.

You can see Insomniac's entire DNA in Spider-Man 2. From Spyro, to Ratchet, to Resistance, to Sunset Overdrive...

Not saying Playground and Insomniac can't pull off Fable and Wolverine, but these are not in their wheel house and I don't think they have any special perspectives.
I’m torn. On one hand, you make a very good point.

On the other hand, the director of Auto Modelista became the director of Devil May Cry 4, and he gave the protagonist a sword that you can rev up like an engine to do stronger versions of attacks.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I’m torn. On one hand, you make a very good point.

On the other hand, the director of Auto Modelista became the director of Devil May Cry 4, and he gave the protagonist a sword that you can rev up like an engine to do stronger versions of attacks.

He worked on several games in different genres before working on Auto Modelista.

PlayGround games has only made racing games since their inception and with the first release being Forza Horizon in 2012...

That's 12+ years of only making racing games. Only to go on to try to tackle one of the most complex adventure RPG franchises of all time...

Last edited:
PlayGround games has only made racing games since their inception and with the first release being Forza Horizon in 2012...

That's 12+ years of only making racing games. Only to go on to try to tackle one of the most complex adventure RPG franchises of all time...
It’s what makes me so curious to see if their racing game expertise will have any effect on shaping how this Fable game will be.

There could potentially be some unique mechanics in it that only a racing game team would ever think of attempting to do.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It’s what makes me so curious to see if their racing game expertise will have any effect on shaping how this Fable game will be.

There could potentially be some unique mechanics in it that only a racing game team would ever think of attempting to do.

Just like with MachineGames making a 1st person Indiana Jones, it's simply the wrong team for the job.

People always say, Sony should bring back X game despite no developers being around who developed the original. That's what you have here. Someone had to do it and they probably want to break away from racing games.

Just like with MachineGames making a 1st person Indiana Jones, it's simply the wrong team for the job.
We should wait until the game comes out before saying this. I suspect a lot of crow may be eaten.
People always say, Sony should bring back X game despite no developers being around who developed the original. That's what you have here. Someone had to do it and they probably want to break away from racing games.
I genuinely like this idea because I see the potential creative side of it and that potential excites me. I understand why you are worried too.

Top Bottom