• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

_woLf

I have the worst luck with loot boxes.

The. Worst.

20+ boxes opened so far (including 11 ones I paid money for), only have 4 purples and 0 golds.

can't see myself buying any more now. :(

Loxley

When you first try out Lucio:

NSuUopz.gif

When you finally get the hang of his mechanics:

613i18u.gif

Lucio is a lot of fun once you get a feel for his healing/speed beats auras and when to use which. The speed boost in particular has saved my ass countless times against the likes of Roadhog and Reinhardt (who were absolutely demolishing me as Zenyatta, Symmetra, and Mercy). It's great to play a fast and nimble support character since you're often the first target. In fact one of my favorite new habits is to get right up in the fray with my team and annoy the other team's Reinhardts and Roadhogs with Lucio's dorky little sound gun (healing aura blasting away). Before they can kill me I momentarily switch to the speed boost and then skate away, "Not today bitch."

I would almost argue he's got the best survivability of any of the support characters thanks largely to his ability to get the hell out if dodge in a pinch if things get too hectic. The only nut I'm still trying to crack with him is his wall-running ability - I keep forgetting he can even do that.

6.5 hours in so far already, Overwatch got its hooks in me. Played tons of McCree and it's easy to see why he's king of the DPS meta. Flashbang fan kills everything that isn't a tank, then you roll fan and kill tanks. I abused that most maliciously. His ult is great and I like how you can cancel it and keep half charge if they run for the hills and you aren't left with a good shot.

Rounded out my play with some Pharah, Mei, Winston and Mercy. Practically everything is fun for me except snipers, because I have old man hands and can't aim.

Lucio is the best quickplay healer/support man. I feel like he outdoes all the other supports easily, and his ultimate is simple to use.

Trickster

The. Worst.

20+ boxes opened so far (including 11 ones I paid money for), only have 4 purples and 0 golds.

This is the main reason I wont bother with buying loot boxes. Only loot worth anything are legendary skins. But I got to level 20 something in the open beta, and got not one legendary skin. So fuck paying money for loot boxes is my mindset about those currently

StayDead

Stayed up an hour later last night to play, playing now and going in an hour later (going by taxi so I can avoid leaving the extra hour early to get buses). I'm gonnna regret this.

When you first try out Lucio:

NSuUopz.gif

When you finally get the hang of his mechanics:

613i18u.gif

Lucio is a lot of fun once you get a feel for his healing/speed beats auras and when to use which. The speed boost in particular has saved my ass countless times against the likes of Roadhog and Reinhardt (who were absolutely demolishing me as Zenyatta, Symmetra, and Mercy). It's great to play a fast and nimble support character since you're often the first target. In fact one of my favorite new habits is to get right up in the fray with my team and annoy the other team's Reinhardts and Roadhogs with Lucio's dorky little sound gun (healing aura blasting away). Before they can kill me I momentarily switch to the speed boost and then skate away, "Not today bitch."

I would almost argue he's got the best survivability of any of the support characters thanks largely to his ability to get the hell out of dodge in a pinch of things get too hectic. The only nut I'm still trying to crack with him is his wall-running ability - I keep forgetting he can even do that.

The wall running is surprisingly useful in Capture maps where the zones are nearly always walled in, and people keep missing me; the only problem I have is how unintuitive it is to have to hold down on the space bar. Would be much better if it was just an automatic wall run.

Mattenth

I'm calling now that this game suffers the same fate as Titanfall, Rainbow Six Seige, Evolve, etc. The gameplay and progression systems simply aren't good enough to sustain a large scale community long-term. I hope I'm wrong because this IP deserves so much more than a few multiplayer maps and characters.

Will be interested to see when the first batch of new content arrives.

Can you guys imagine an Overwatch RTS game?

peakish

Loot boxes just seem like extremely poor value to me. Most of them only have crap, and they're 1€ each. Not that I want to tell anyone else how they should spend their money, but it's pretty scummy to me compared to paying for individual skins.

FrsDvl

I'm calling now that this game suffers the same fate as Titanfall, Rainbow Six Seige, Evolve, etc.

The gameplay and progression systems simply aren't good enough to sustain a large scale community long-term.

No, it's Blizzard. It'll do much, much better than those games.

I'm calling now that this game suffers the same fate as Titanfall, Rainbow Six Seige, Evolve, etc.

The gameplay and progression systems simply aren't good enough to sustain a large scale community long-term.

So basically, the game needs hats.

Loot boxes just seem like extremely poor value to me. Most of them only have crap, and they're 1€ each. Not that I want to tell anyone else how they should spend their money, but it's pretty scummy to me compared to paying for individual skins.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind just buying tokens or something.

But less money that way, so yeah.

MUnited83

For you.

The. Worst.

11 lootboxes here, little else than sprays, a voice line or two and a single regular skin :(

I'm calling now that this game suffers the same fate as Titanfall, Rainbow Six Seige, Evolve, etc. The gameplay and progression systems simply aren't good enough to sustain a large scale community long-term. I hope I'm wrong because this IP deserves so much more than a few multiplayer maps.

Those games died out the gates on PC, I don't think this game is similar in that way. TF/R6 are just another military shooter, evolve is just meh with the 4v1. This one has legs with Blizzard behind it IMO.

I don't think so, but I wasn't aware that costumes could change lines so I may have missed it

The Hanzo Okami costume changes lines and ult effect, and people have said the devil mercy changes lines too, but I haven't seen it.

I would gladly pay $5 for a skin that I really like. But I have shit luck - no way will I blow a bunch of money on loot boxes so I can get sprays I'll never use (which, can you not just import your own sprays?!)

Anyway, played one game with Widowmaker before going to bed. Figured I'd suck.

Ummm... beginner's luck or a shitty enemy team; but I kicked ass. I went like 16 and 3; got several triple kill headshots in a row.

You cannot just import your own sprays. Prevents lewd sprays, and makes the ones in game at all valuable.

RevenWolf

I'm calling now that this game suffers the same fate as Titanfall, Rainbow Six Seige, Evolve, etc. The gameplay and progression systems simply aren't good enough to sustain a large scale community long-term. I hope I'm wrong because this IP deserves so much more than a few multiplayer maps and characters.

Ummm Rainbow Six Siege has a very healthy player base man.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I would gladly pay $5 for a skin that I really like. But I have shit luck - no way will I blow a bunch of money on loot boxes so I can get sprays I'll never use (which, can you not just import your own sprays?!)

Anyway, played one game with Widowmaker before going to bed. Figured I'd suck.

Ummm... beginner's luck or a shitty enemy team; but I kicked ass. I went like 16 and 3; got several triple kill headshots in a row.

Apathy

Hots will never keep a community

Hearthstone will never keep a community

Wow will never keep a community

TheYanger

If you're not killed while the teleport is casting, as you must be in line of sight to do this.

If you can get close enough before you're sawed in half by the bullet hell.

If you can get close enough before you're sawed in half by the bullet hell.

If you have really good aim and absolutely nobody else has noticed you're on the battlefield.

If you can get close enough before he breaks your shield in three or four seconds and you're sawed in half by the bullet hell.

In 99% of all situations on the maps in this game, this will not be applicable.

If you're lucky and he happens to be in a corner.

But the list doesn't really disprove anything.

He needs to either do less damage per shot, have greatly reduced accuracy at range like just about every other turret in just about every other game ever, have a 180 or 270 degree rotation range of his turret, or have a longer reload/smaller clip.

You're right. Bastion is impossible to kill. That's why I keep seeing pro games of 12 bastions.

_woLf

Another big issue I have with this game is that you get rewarded less as you play more. That feels kind backwards to me.

I'd like to see them add some kind of daily objective system. Complete 3 objectives, get a loot box.

As you level up more, the XP curve grows exponentially, which means you get way less loot boxes as you put more time into the game. It's kinda weird.

Loxley

Rainbow Six is actually doing very well, all things considered. But Overwatch's first major content patch is currently slated to be released around the end of June, according to Jeff Kaplan (the game's lead designer).

As you level up more, the XP curve grows exponentially, which means you get way less loot boxes as you put more time into the game. It's kinda weird.

Are you sure? Cuz when I was around 60 during beta, it took me like 22000 xp, compared to my level 30 friends who needed 19000. Yeah, it took me longer, but not that much longer.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm calling now that this game suffers the same fate as Titanfall, Rainbow Six Seige, Evolve, etc. The gameplay and progression systems simply aren't good enough to sustain a large scale community long-term.

Eh hardly think you can compare them.
Blizzard at least on PC got a massive cult following and those alone will beat titanfall and evolve.

R6S seems to have a overall healthy player base.

As for the bastion issues, hit that glowing lamp on the back of his head as tracer for giggles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Are you sure? Cuz when I was around 60 during beta, it took me like 22000 xp, compared to my level 30 friends who needed 19000. Yeah, it took me longer, but not that much longer.

AFAIK the XP needed remains the same after level 22 or so.

Nokterian

Played the beta it was fun but the game just didn't click for me at all in terms as a shooter i stopped very fast when i was done with a match i just couldn't go back and play again. I dunno i will not be buying it for the moment.

zenbot

Is anyone playing this on Apple hardware? Tossing up between getting this for my MacBook Pro (2015 model with a Radeon R9 M370X) or PS4. No gaming PC, sadly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
been playing for 7 hours, maybe I should stop?

TheYanger

Another big issue I have with this game is that you get rewarded less as you play more. That feels kind backwards to me.

I'd like to see them add some kind of daily objective system. Complete 3 objectives, get a loot box.

The curve flattens out at level 22 or 23. It then takes the same per level till 100, then you promote/prestige and start over at 1 again (with a shiny new border color) and your xp per level goes WAY back down again as a nice bonus for hitting 100. It takes like 1.5 hours per box tops. Also you get a big first win of the day bonus.

WORLDTree

Tomorrow I'm getting hit by a car, I used up all my luck when I got the Dijinn Zenyatta skin on my first box, I have defied the god of pulls who has always cursed me with shit pulls in every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom