• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got to play today after being on vacation. Even after driving 6 hours, I played a few matches. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I don't want to stop :(

B.O.O.M

In a game that short there might not BE a good multi kill.

On the other hand sometimes it just seems to bug out. I saw one where a Mercy did like 19% total damage spread out over two different people once. That was impressive.

True good point

Absolutely nothing. I guess there were so few kills to choose from that it just chose my death since it was a higher skill sniper shot?

Feels bad man :p

lol I bet! :p If you were playing Mercy we can call it a 'mercy kill'...for the other team since they were so bad

Zeliard

I'm having a lot of fun with this brawl mode. It's completely ludicrous and at least half of the heroes are just totally broken when you speed up cooldowns and increase health (Mei lol), but it can lead to some pretty wild back-and-forths.

Tracer in particular is just amazing to play in this sort of mode. The action never stops!

J Range

Can bastion not rocket jump with his ultimate anymore? I saw a vid of somebody doing it in the beta and tried it for myself, but it doesnt proprel me...

So, does Zarya need a buff? I have never seen her as a POTG or rarely see her used at all.

I haven't tried her myself, but I think I'll to a few rounds with her tomorrow.

-MD-

So, does Zarya need a buff? I have never seen her as a POTG or rarely see her used at all.

A good Zarya will wreck you, just wait until people have some more time with the game.

POTG doesnt really mean a lot, especially when you can easily get one by just clicking Q with Hanzo, she's fine. Her barriers are freaking good and her grenades, junkrats jelly.

Cade

Not at all. A good Zarya utilizing shields well can fucking lock down a payload. She's not a flashy player (usually, and not including her ultimate) but she's a devastating tank since nobody wants to shoot her.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn... the "one more match" factor is strong here.

Having a bunch of fun as a bunch of different characters. Lucio is a straight up perfect newbie support character. It is so hard NOT to help your team dramatically as him. In random games, though this is a little unfortunate, I think I may end up just picking him as a default unless there's already one on the team.

Had some great plays as D. Va (favorite Ult I think) and I realllllly like Symmetra, seems like the skill ceiling for her is off the charts. I found Mercy surprisingly tough to play as. Finished up the night by carrying a payload match to victory as Reinhardt... so good! But as far as my favorite starting to emerge, it's looking like it'll either be Genji (would've assumed it would be him based just on description) or Zenyatta. And honestly kinda leaning toward the latter, he's just so damn unique. If all ya'll want to get him a buff, sooo be it I guess, haha.

As ever they were before, snipers remain my nemesis here and Widowmaker the only character to actively make me salty during these few hours of play. urrk.

Quite a game they have on their hands here, literally the only negative about my experience tonight is that I hate this phase when I don't know any of the maps or nuances of the game modes and my performance suffers so much for it. Everything is so damn solid though. Will definitely be looking for some peeps here to play coordinated games with those, seems like it would be a blast :)

She's really tricky to use well. Devastating in the right hands and on the right team, though. Like, her shield doesn't do much good if it's not up at the right time and on the right people, so you need experience and teammates who know to push when they're in the bubble. Plus, there's weird little difficulties surrounding her, like how her beam has this tiny tiny hitbox, and it pulls to the right at short ranges.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Can people playing on PS4 please help me out?

I'm really torn on whether to get this. On one hand, I love the look and overall charm. I enjoy reading up on all the characters and am interested in them out and forming a dream-duo with my buddy (also on PS4).

However, every video I watch seems to be a super-skilled PC player jumping around, reacting to everything with pin-point aiming, making it look like it's all about the kills and pure input/output efficiency... I don't know how else to put it, but it makes me feel very "casual".

It's hard to explain, but I'm worried that beyond the aesthetic and initial appeal of a team-based shooter, the "core" game won't be for me (I was never very good at TF2). Has anyone had a similar experience? Been proved wrong? Taken a cold shower and saved their cash? I'm curious to hear peoples' impressions on PS4, as I feel like using a controller will naturally result in a "slower", more measured pace of gameplay.

Hope I'm not talking nonsense. I'd like to check some videos if anyone has any recommendations of "good" PS4 gameplay. Thanks!

mikemandey

She's good.. But she's definitely a team player, not that good if you are alone. Even her ulti is best combined with another ulti.

Her ult needs some team cooperation to be particularly strong, and she doesn't hit hard unless she's fed. But when fed she's a bit of a beast. She's definitely not a potg machine though.

She's only really good on defense and if she has a support stuck to her. Otherwise there are better options in almost every situation.

I doubt they'll buff her though.

I'm having a lot of fun with this brawl mode. It's completely ludicrous and at least half of the heroes are just totally broken when you speed up cooldowns and increase health (Mei lol), but it can lead to some pretty wild back-and-forths.

Tracer in particular is just amazing to play in this sort of mode. The action never stops!

Have you ever been up against a full team of torbjorn popping molten core every minute.

AlanOC91

I've been rolled by that before. It's a surprisingly rough comp. So much healing, and reasonably effective at any range.

Soldier 76 is my best character so far. With other characters I struggle to get 5 kills. With Soldier 76 I got a 20 killstreak in one match alone yesterday. I find him incredibly good.

So far my one problem with Overwatch is that there are really only two healers - Mercy and Lucio, and both are amazing. Really they are the only people you need to have at least one of on a team.

Symmetra can't heal and the teleport is about as useful as she gets. Zendatta is more of a buffer/debuffer and while he does good damage, 90% of the time you'll want a Lucio/Mercy instead, and their ults are better then Zendatta's while serving a similar function. Soldier 76's field can help but it won't stop you from dying if pursued.

jediyoshi

It's possible!

7LWxCLp.jpg

Zeliard

Her ult needs some team cooperation to be particularly strong, and she doesn't hit hard unless she's fed. But when fed she's a bit of a beast. She's definitely not a potg machine though.

Zarya's ult can put her in the highlight reel quite often. If you have a high or especially max charge with her and you hit a group of enemy players with it, you can actually kill them all by yourself with your alt fire (including an entire team wipe), or otherwise do huge damage as your teammates finish them off.

It's not as uncommon as you might think; it's just that relatively few people are playing Zarya at this stage, so you're not seeing it much, but in the beta it wasn't that rare.

Have you ever been up against a full team of torbjorn popping molten core every minute.

Haha, haven't encountered a Torbjorn in this brawl yet. Sounds pretty silly.

Also Zarya is basically invincible in the mode. Big health and constant self-shielding. And since your shields pop up so quickly you're like always at 90+% charge.

styl3s

What's great about the cooldown is it allows you to stay way up in the air with Phara the entire game and people just don't know how to deal it's pretty funny.

You know what's great? There isn't a single character that I don't see played on a regular or semi-regular basis. Even every support and tank character is played a good amount. That's great!

My and my buddies got wrecked by a Zarya playing defense on King's Row tonight. That ult is just brutal.

Soldier 76 is my best character so far. With other characters I struggle to get 5 kills. With Soldier 76 I got a 20 killstreak in one match alone yesterday. I find him incredibly good.

His versatiliy and self heal makes him super dominant if you don't overextend. First beta I thought d.va was my favourite. Second I played Mei the most. Open beta I played A LOT of s76. He's pretty vanilla but I still think he's just a blast.

B.O.O.M

Can people playing on PS4 please help me out?

I'm really torn on whether to get this. On one hand, I love the look and overall charm. I enjoy reading up on all the characters and am interested in them out and forming a dream-duo with my buddy (also on PS4).

However, every video I watch seems to be a super-skilled PC player jumping around, reacting to everything with pin-point aiming, making it look like it's all about the kills and pure input/output efficiency... I don't know how else to put it, but it makes me feel very "casual".

It's hard to explain, but I'm worried that beyond the aesthetic and initial appeal of a team-based shooter, the "core" game won't be for me (I was never very good at TF2). Has anyone had a similar experience? Been proved wrong? Taken a cold shower and saved their cash? I'm curious to hear peoples' impressions on PS4, as I feel like using a controller will naturally result in a "slower", more measured pace of gameplay.

Hope I'm not talking nonsense. I'd like to check some videos if anyone has any recommendations of "good" PS4 gameplay. Thanks!

Don't let online videos set the overall impression. Players liek Seagull are legit insanely good. That's not the norm by any means.

I'm pretty damn casual compared to those guys but had no issues getting multiple POTGs during beta.

Can bastion not rocket jump with his ultimate anymore? I saw a vid of somebody doing it in the beta and tried it for myself, but it doesnt proprel me...

Didn't know he could do this during the beta either. Interesting

Zeliard

What's great about the cooldown is it allows you to stay way up in the air with Phara the entire game and people just don't know how to deal it's pretty funny.

There was a mode in the closed beta (no idea if it was in the open as well) where you had to pick either Pharah or Mercy, both with reduced cooldowns.

That one was a treat. Mercy players got to fly around basically indefinitely, and Pharah players got to have cool mid-air battles. Hope they bring that one back soon.

There was a mode in the closed beta (no idea if it was in the open as well) where you had to pick either Pharah or Mercy, both with reduced cooldowns.

That one was a treat. Mercy players got to fly around basically indefinitely, and Pharah players got to have cool mid-air battles. Hope they bring that one back soon.

This sounds like a field day for a good Widowmaker. :|

So far my one problem with Overwatch is that there are really only two healers - Mercy and Lucio, and both are amazing. Really they are the only people you need to have at least one of on a team.

Symmetra can't heal and the teleport is about as useful as she gets. Zendatta is more of a buffer/debuffer and while he does good damage, 90% of the time you'll want a Lucio/Mercy instead, and their ults are better then Zendatta's while serving a similar function. Soldier 76's field can help but it won't stop you from dying if pursued.

Even though I do think Symmetra should be put in the defense category, her turrets when placed right are no joke. I love that aspect of her, you're always having to plan ahead think of ways to trick people in to your hallway of death.

Anyone do any controller rebinding yet? I feel like some of them could actually use something to make them easier for me.

Like Pharah. Totally can't maneuver with her :(

Reinhardt is really fun and useful once you learn how to play it and don't chase opponents.
I didn't care about Pharah during the beta but she's super fun (I got wrecked in mid-air by another Pharah, though)
Tracer is fun but she has so little health (except when she's on the enemy team)

Also, I don't know how to play Zarya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom