• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Don't let online videos set the overall impression. Players liek Seagull are legit insanely good. That's not the norm by any means.

I'm pretty damn casual compared to those guys but had no issues getting multiple POTGs during beta.

Do you know of any good YouTube channels or videos of PS4 players? I'm not looking for funny commentary or crazy reactions - just some laid back play with maybe some helpful guidance and a talkthrough of what's going on.

Also, how are load times on PS4? (Startup and getting into a match, etc.) Sometimes my play sessions can be as short as 20mins a day, so if this game could work as a "quick fix" I'd be all over it.

People not playing support, will probably be the main reason I stop playing whenever that time comes.

The most annoying thing for me is people moaning about me playing Widowmaker and then spending the rest of the game moaning about getting killed by Torbjorn and Bastion.

...That's a lie. I don't switch off Widowmaker. Torbjorn and Bastion get to spend the game dying. People complaining keep on complaining.

Is Symmetra classified as Builder as well? Otherwise the notification should just say "No Törbjorn" instead.

Also, I got 2 legendary skins from a single loot box, one of the Junkbot Bastion skins and an Icehockey Lúcio skin. Not a big fan of the latter, would have rather gotten one of the froggy ones.

Also, I don't know how to play Zarya

image.php

Fliesen

videos like this make me appreciate the fact even more that i'm playing on PS4. (not even sure if you could DO such a rocket jump on console, with the default keybindings - jump being X, which makes you unable to use the right stick for a moment)
I don't think that you could get those perfectly accurate shots in that short timespan on console (unless you've got a huge amount of practice).
In the beta, we had games with 3 hanzos or 3 widowmakers. Now it's a rare occurence to even see one Widowmaker, because twitch aiming on consoles is quite a lot harder.

On the other hand, it does make heroes that aren't as much about accuracy, or that have high mobility (like Mei up close, or Tracer) comparatively better than in the PC version.

i wonder if that's going to make balancing the game more challenging for Blizzard. To a degree, where they need to "fork" balance changes between console and PC.

peakish

Was trying out Reinhardt and Zarya yesterday, Reinhardt was a ton of fun. If only my team would be better at getting behind my shield sometimes! Very fun to be working with Hanzo or S76 behind it though.

Zarya definitely earns her advanced status, she feels difficult to get working properly. I need to get better at timing her shields to buff my weapon, their duration is very short.

Also did just a bit of Widowmaker on Anubis/defense. The grapple is good

8/24 won games, still got ways to go.

Edit: What's the consensus on Zenyatta on defense? Did a bit of attacking with him but felt like I had to switch to a better healer pretty quickly. That's largely me being bad of course.

Feeling like trying Tracer tonight if I get into a suitable game. So damn annoying to deal with!

Do you know of any good YouTube channels or videos of PS4 players? I'm not looking for funny commentary or crazy reactions - just some laid back play with maybe some helpful guidance and a talkthrough of what's going on.

I'd also love any PS4 player recs! For PC, I've been really enjoying Stylosa at Great British Gaming. He does really informative commentary on the characters, and if he makes a gameplay error, he doesn't edit it out so you know why something works/doesn't work.

Team Deathmatch: Killing is a major part of shooters, but in consideration to the objective of the game. The players who focus on kills get a little too much praise in the endgame. At the end of each match, the game chooses four people who performed well within the game. About 2-3 of the players chosen are based on kills or killstreaks. The tank or support characters don’t really get noticed for the contribution they put into that match. This is more of a player flaw than the game, but if the game just reduced the amount of people noticed from kills, the other types of characters would have a chance to shine.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/05/24/overwatch-review-prepare-for-battle.html

Yeah, that kinda sucks

I've been rolled by that before. It's a surprisingly rough comp. So much healing, and reasonably effective at any range.
Triple bastion double Reinhardt single mercy. Maybe swap a bastion for another rein if they're bursting 2 shields too fast. I'd think that would work.

Man i really love this focus of Team Play and Objective Play.

I had a awesome round yesterday with a buddy. He was Mercy and i was Reaper. He gave me Health and Buffs and i was able to defend the Hill with no mercy :D It was soooo fun.

And i really love that you cant see your K/D. That really promotes playing the Objective more.

Fliesen

but beyond "praise" they get nothing, do they? ... having the PotG doesn't yield extra exp, does it?
And there's PLENTY of gold medals you can get as a support, all of which do give you extra exp.
So unless you get your self-worth out of a meaningless 5 second replay at the end of the game, there's really no difference.

PotG is all about that one flashy moment in the game.
You can have a 25 kill-streak and be on fire all game, if those 25 kills don't happen within 5 seconds, you won't get the PotG. So it's not even about the kills, it's about that one triple, quad or penta-kill.

I've seen a Mercy get the PotG for reviving 3 people with one ult (which got IMMEDIATELY re-killed by a well timed Hanzo ult - which could also be seen at the end of the PotG replay)

B.O.O.M

Also, how are load times on PS4? (Startup and getting into a match, etc.) Sometimes my play sessions can be as short as 20mins a day, so if this game could work as a "quick fix" I'd be all over it.

Don't worry about the version of the let's play videos. Just learn the tricks they use. For example, Seagull uses Genji's forward slash move (whatever it's called) to escape enemies and also to get to elevated platforms. Or the rocket jump by Bastion mentioned in the previous page. You can use them on the PS4 too. And the console versions have rather generous aim assist. You won't have any problems :)

Not sure about the load time tbh. My impressions are based on the beta. My copy got delayed and is arriving tomorrow

videos like this make me appreciate the fact even more that i'm playing on PS4. (not even sure if you could DO such a rocket jump on console, with the default keybindings - jump being X, which makes you unable to use the right stick for a moment)
I don't think that you could get those perfectly accurate shots in that short timespan on console (unless you've got a huge amount of practice).
In the beta, we had games with 3 hanzos or 3 widowmakers. Now it's a rare occurence to even see one Widowmaker, because twitch aiming on consoles is quite a lot harder.

On the other hand, it does make heroes that aren't as much about accuracy, or that have high mobility (like Mei up close, or Tracer) comparatively better than in the PC version.

i wonder if that's going to make balancing the game more challenging for Blizzard. To a degree, where they need to "fork" balance changes between console and PC.

They already have! ;)

ISOM

Anyone looking for a stable group to play with? I can play in Americas and Asia

Sublime#6909 on PC

(none of my friends bought the game lol)

I would love a stable group. Just had two matches where I had the most time on the objective plus the most objective kills while my teammates were doing god knows what. Add me anytime you see me.

So I know they're two completely different games but when I played Wow, I always played a hybrid class. So focusing on my Druid and Shaman was a huge aspect of my time spent because I could heal when needed.

With what I keep reading that there's a lack of support characters being used, would this game be up my alley?

Fliesen

They already have! ;)

oh, thanks, wasn't aware of that.
Any site that lists said differences? So far, all the descriptions about abilities / cooldowns / damage numbers i found didn't really show any difference by platform.

So I know they're two completely different games but when I played Wow, I always played a hybrid class. So focusing on my Druid and Shaman was a huge aspect of my time spent because I could heal when needed.

With what I keep reading that there's a lack of support characters being used, would this game be up my alley?

Roadhog.
You're a tank, you have a low-cooldown-high-yield self heal.
It's like soloing stuff with a Deathknight in WoW

I never played a deathknight, but they do those hooks and self-heal, right?

Trace

Banned

You could probably play Zenyatta if that's what you're looking for. He has a heal but also does substantial DPS. He's as glass cannon as they come though.

grimmiq

Really loving this, even with people thinking it's TDM. Last match was terrible with the payload just rolling towards the goal while the rest of my team were fighting off 2 guys halfway across the map..

But hell, got a non turret POTG with Symmetra so I'm amused.

POTG.

This game would greatly benefit from people playing in groups.

Im based in the Netherlands. Any known groups in UK/ W EU I might be able to join.

I love CS - GO but I found it hard to get a group together and play. I hope that it will be different with Overwatch. To me this game seems more important to have a team that listens to instructions of the most experience player then individual skill like CS- GO (one doesnt exclude the other here)

anyway I need a big group of people so that whenever I come online I have a group I can play with casually.

help me out here :)

(Blue#23529)

I have to say I am pretty lucky playing solo so far! I've had a lot of good groups, some were stinkers, but a majority of them were good! Everyone seemed to understand their role and what to do.

I play with my headset, but I'm kinda shy to speak up and say things for some reason lol

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
First time I was annoyed by losing. So many Soldier 76 in the enemy team ._.
This game would greatly benefit from people playing in groups.

Im based in the Netherlands. Any known groups in UK/ W EU I might be able to join.

I love CS - GO but I found it hard to get a group together and play. I hope that it will be different with Overwatch. To me this game seems more important to have a team that listens to instructions of the most experience player then individual skill like CS- GO (one doesnt exclude the other here)

anyway I need a big group of people so that whenever I come online I have a group I can play with casually.

help me out here :)
I'm like really shy. but I like overwatch and can see me play for a long time and over time I get less shy ^^ so add me if you want

Why do people not contest the point? I don't care if you die. If we're in overtime and the payload is 3 m. from the goal, our chances go way up if you stop the damn thing. Junkrat players seem to be the worst with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom