• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
The POTG needs to be fixed. Just call it highlights and random choose someone. Most games has at least 1 thing that could be shown. That way we get everything. Right now it's high noon/ die die die and bastion over and over and over

Confirmation bias.

I've seen Mei, Junkrat, Phara, Hanzo, and Toblerone pretty regularly. Junkrat probably more than anyone else.

I personally, get the PotG as Mei probably 15-20% of the time. Even got a quad-kill last night with her super.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The POTG needs to be fixed. Just call it highlights and random choose someone. Most games has at least 1 thing that could be shown. That way we get everything. Right now it's high noon/ die die die and bastion over and over and over

Yea, there often far more plays that are more deserving than what is shown. I usually get Bastion and a TON of Hanzo players using either their dragons or bow to land a few shots. I rarely see much else.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just got a quintoplet kill with zarya's ult and the whole part errupted in laughing haha

edit: OH SHIT SON loot gods liked that play of the game

3Iydv2s.jpg

finally a legendary

Confirmation bias.

I've seen Mei, Junkrat, Phara, Hanzo, and Toblerone pretty regularly. Junkrat probably more than anyone else.

I personally, get the PotG as Mei probably 15-20% of the time. Even got a quad-kill last night with her super.

My... 'best?' potg during beta was as her. Got a quintuple kill off her ult while I hid behind an ice wall wounded and tried not to attract the attention of the tracer beside me.

zonezeus

I started to wonder if the game skews a little toward giving you slightly more drops for people you play more often.

Example, I play Tracer a lot because I like ganking.

I've gotten the Ultraviolet legendary, the Cheers, Love voice line (best in game) and 7 or 8 other things, like poses, sprays and 2 purple intros.

I'm only level 8 or so. My closest other character has like 3/50 unlocks. I haven't bought any boxes or used credits to buy any unlocks yet.

...saving for that D.Va Junebug.

I play mostly Lucio, Zarya and Zenyatta and only things I've got for them at level 17 are a couple of sprays, one voice line for each and victory pose for Zarya. The only legendary I got was for Widowmaker, who I haven't even used once in the official release. So yeah, I think loot is totally random.

Having to counter this:

G8OF8j2.png

while playing with randoms is frustrating as hell to be honest. Sure, I switch to junkrat or pharah, but doing this alone just doesn't work

Then when they die you have mercy who goes ''HEROES NEVER DIE'' and I have to start all over again
Yeah this is tough. The problem is you need at least a bit of coordination so that some people are distracting them in the front while Pharah or Tracer or somebody can get up and/or behind it.

Whales

Banned
Hit that shit with a couple Symmetra charged shots. Works even better if you can get backup to do it. It goes through the reinhardt shield.

Symmetra's charged shot isn't really enough to counter mercy's healing tbh

I mena yeah,, you'll damage them, but then mercy switches to healing and they won't die

Marabouda

Neo Member
Loving the game so far, lvl 14 & have 2 golden skins and few legendaries lucky me.

Anyone who wants to group up on ps4? acc name is Marabouda. Playing from now on 4-5 hours

abundant

All this talk of people playing with others who don't pick support or don't play the objective makes me so glad that the majority of my games played were with PS4 Gaffers. I've yet to have a bad/frustrating game with them. Even if we lose, it's always a competitive loss.

Soldier and McCree can be strong on defense despite their "offense" billing, just like Hanzo and Widowmaker can be very effective offensively. The categories aren't totally cut-and-dry. McCree in particular is just terrific on D because of his anti-flanker kit and very dependable mid-range damage.

You can viably have a strong defensive comp without any of the "defense" heroes. Two offense (McCree and Soldier for the most part), two tanks (Zarya + someone), and two supports (Zenyatta + someone) can be very strong defensively. So you can play around with the hero categories a bit.

Having said all that, if your teammates were running 4 O and getting slaughtered, they probably should have switched things up. :p So much of that sort of thing depends on the map, the other team's comp, and even whether or not you're on point A or B in a given Assault map.
Thanks for the insight. My team was me as Lucio, Winston, two Tracers, Reaper, and a Genji. I know I'm probably wrong but I'm not a fan of seeing Genji on defense. Haven't really seen someone use him effectively there besides Seagull

HariKari

The skill MM is real. Hit 20, suddenly I'm facing much better (and honestly sketchy in some cases) players.

Thanks for the insight. My team was me as Lucio, Winston, two Tracers, Reaper, and a Genji. I know I'm probably wrong but I'm not a fan of seeing Genji on defense. Haven't really seen someone use him effectively there besides Seagull

He can kill supports on maps where Tracer doesn't have enough room.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hit that shit with a couple Symmetra charged shots. Works even better if you can get backup to do it. It goes through the reinhardt shield.
Wait goes THROUGH reinhardt's shield like just passes through like it isn't there?

I really dig Symmetra. Another character who wouldn't usually be my cup of tea who is a lot of fun.

Klyka

Banned
Wait goes THROUGH reinhardt's shield like just passes through like it isn't there?

I really dig Symmetra. Another character who wouldn't usually be my cup of tea who is a lot of fun.

Yes. Both Winstons gun as well as Symmetras alt-fire go through Reinhardt's shield.

And Sym's fully charged alt-fire does a LOT of damage.

He can kill supports on maps where Tracer doesn't have enough room.

He can also be better pick than Tracer on maps with more verticality cause he can easier counter Widowmaker for exmaple with his double ump and climbing.

ebil

I haven't seen a single Symmetra play of the game yet and I play her every time on defence.
I got one once where I managed to murder almost the entire opposing team with my turrets and some beam assistance by baiting them to where I was. I was really surprised because that didn't look particularly impressive from my PoV, lol.

Yes. So do Reinhardt Fire Strikes, his ranged attack. His ult, earth shatter, is stopped, though.

Yes. Both Winstons gun as well as Symmetras alt-fire go through Reinhardt's shield.

125. As Whales said, you probably won't outdamage the mercy heal, but you might just kill the mercy, and you'll also be hitting the Reinhardt.

Symmetra's charged shot isn't really enough to counter mercy's healing tbh

I mena yeah,, you'll damage them, but then mercy switches to healing and they won't die

Yeah, but a Mercy that has to heal the Reinhart is a Mercy that can't be bothered to heal anyone else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey people add Hawkian#1871!

I'm not any good or anything but I really want to play with some groups.

hell yeah it does

DrArchon

Symmetra's alt fire ignores Reinhardt's shield and does stupid damage, but it moves so slow that any decent Reinhardt can just walk out of the way while still protecting his allies. At least in the above scenario you'll still hit Bastion and force Mercy to turn off her damage buff.

I also surprisingly like playing as her. I thought I wouldn't because she's a support without a dedicated heal, but once I understood that groups of turrets fuck up flankers like Reaper and Trace super hard then I started to feel better about picking her on defense (not so much attack).

MajorMane

The first legendary(or is it epic?) I got has been golden soldier 76. Forgot to take a pic though.

Think that's a purple. I got that during the beta and it doesn't change anything besides his color, right?

Legendaries are straight up changes in the design.

Nevertheless, loved that skin.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Oh god no. Any incentive to deviate from the actual objective or effective play is such a horrible thing to do to a MP game.

Daily Quests could be fantastic and add extra incentive to play daily to get rewards (I'm thinking it'll probably be gold rather than an entire crate). They just need to do it in a smart way that does not cause any deviation from the normal style of play.

"Play 1 round as Mercy"
"Heal 10,000 points total"
"Have 1:00 total objective time"

These are challenges that will only help further cooperative gameplay.

Zeliard

The two Tracers thing looks rough. That's usually going to be pretty bad on D, especially in these early days where the teamplay isn't quite there yet.

And yeah, heroes like Genji and Tracer are not usually going to be very effective on defense unless the person playing them is very good, but then that also goes for most other heroes. Flankers can always create havoc, but defense is generally more about sticking together with your team rather than going off and trying to get solo kills or distract. But there are always exceptions, and who knows how the meta might evolve.

McCree and Soldier are just plain good in all scenarios. If you're ever unsure what to pick on defense and you're comfortable with those two, don't think twice about picking them.

HariKari

Tracer on PC at higher MM is completely unbearable. Killing my enjoyment of the game. You have about half a second to do 150 damage. Good ones don't get stunned. Anything less than that is a recall spam or off to a medkit.

DrArchon

What are the naming conventions for the rarity levels for loot drops, specifically the skins? I keep calling them by their colors in my head (I got a blue rarity level Mei skin last night for example), but that doesn't work because if I say that people will think I just got a blue skin and not a blue rarity level.

Are legendaries just the golden tier skins? What's the purple tier?

MrHoot

Having to counter this:

G8OF8j2.png

while playing with randoms is frustrating as hell to be honest. Sure, I switch to junkrat or pharah, but doing this alone just doesn't work

Then when they die you have mercy who goes ''HEROES NEVER DIE'' and I have to start all over again

I hate this fucking strategy and have yet to find a good efficient counter that doesn't require a perfect team coordination JUST to take out bastion and his guard while the rest of the team is pummeling.

ant_

Tracer on PC at higher MM is completely unbearable. Killing my enjoyment of the game. You have about half a second to do 150 damage. Good ones don't get stunned. Anything less than that is a recall spam or off to a medkit.

Winston destroys Tracer

Whales

Banned
What are the naming conventions for the rarity levels for loot drops, specifically the skins? I keep calling them by their colors in my head (I got a blue rarity level Mei skin last night for example), but that doesn't work because if I say that people will think I just got a blue skin and not a blue rarity level.

Legendary = orange

epic = purple

zonezeus

Daily Quests could be fantastic and add extra incentive to play daily. They just need to do it in a smart way that does not cause any deviation from the normal style of play.

"Play 1 round as Mercy"
"Heal 10,000 points total"
"Have 1:00 total objective time"

These are challenges that will only help further cooperative gameplay.

In a perfect world maybe, in reality though it would most probably lead to everyone playing Mercy, healing and standing on the objective/payload all the time. On the other hand, quests like "Win X matches" or "Get X medals" would be a cool way to earn some extra credits.

ant_

Having to counter this:

G8OF8j2.png

Two things i can think of that an individual can do without help from their team:

Mei. Use the ice wall to elevate Reinhardt or Bastion.
Symmetra. Her alt fire goes through Reinhardt's shield and does a ton of damage fully charged.

In a perfect world maybe, in reality though it would most probably lead to everyone playing Mercy, healing and standing on the objective/payload all the time. On the other hand, quests like "Win X matches" or "Get X medals" would be a cool way to earn some extra credits.

Have you seen how they handle it in Hearthstone? Everyone doesn't have the same missions. Blizzard knows what they are doing.

DrArchon

Legendary = orange

epic = purple

Thank you, I'll start using the proper nomenclature now when I whine about about the skins I'm not getting.

Winston destroys Tracer

The problem with this is that a good Tracer will be sneaking around behind the enemy team to fight squishy heroes in the back and a good Winston will be trying to secure the objective by leaping in and dropping shields. They shouldn't be interacting that much.

A better counter would be Symmetra turrets guarding likely paths that Tracer will take to get around and McCree doing his stun->fan the hammer combo.

suzu

Common = white
Rare = blue
Epic = purple
Legendary = orange

Rize_21

Also, you cannot capture/contest a point in iceblock form with Mei, I know it didn't work in the beta, and it hasn't changed.

I don't want to sound too much like a rich bitch asshole, but sometimes I wonder if the average GAFer is financially challenged? Students, unemployed etc.

I guess there's a difference between "video games are expensive" and "this game doesn't offer enough content for it's price" but still. It seems the topic of money and what games cost has become quite popular. Or is it just a nerd fad at the moment to complain about the costs of being a gamer?

I think OW offers amazing return for money considering the promises of free added content via patching and long term support à la Blizzard.

But then again I'm just a filthy junior so never mind :)

vypek

Two things i can think of that an individual can do without help from their team:

Mei. Use the ice wall to elevate Reinhardt or Bastion.
Zenyetta. Her alt fire goes through Reinhardt's shield and does a ton of damage fully charged.

You're thinking of Symmetra :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom