• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintty

I just noticed it last night, but at the victory pose screen whoever is in a group will be placed closer to one another. Like so:

oo o ooo (group of 2, solo, group of 3)

I noticed this last night. I kept being placed next to my Son. It was pretty cool and made me feel a bit proud when we played well :D

PatjuhR

I'm glad I fucking enjoy playing as Lucio and actually play my best game as him, otherwise I'd be pretty annoyed by having to play Support all the time.

tumblr_nksvjqZZ7C1r61mabo2_500.gif

Zarya is bae.

Grats on your shiny new highlight reel intro!

Fuz

Banned
Game is really great. I'm having a blast. And the level of polish, thight controls and attention to details in this game is incredible (as usual for Blizzard).

Turrets and Bastion feel a little overpowered (been able to get a 26 kill streak with Torbjorn and I'm *not* a good player), but the overall balance is pretty great.

I hope they'll never add daily quests as people are suggesting in the official forums.

That skin dropped for me too last night. Is it a legendary skin?

Yup! His other legendary skin is his hockey gear.

Generally, legendaries are alternate meshes, and everything else is just a recolour.

The one exception I can think of is that Reinhardt has at least one non-legendary skin that removes his helmet.

err no it was just a goodle gif lol

LOL Oops, my bad. Well, eventually!

Oh god no. Any incentive to deviate from the actual objective or effective play is such a horrible thing to do to a MP game.

Alternatively I think it might be good if, like Hearthstone brawl, they gave out one crate a week for participating in the weekly arcade mode.

Game is really great. I'm having a blast.

Turrets and Bastion feel a little overpowered (been able to get a 26 kill streak with Torbjorn and I'm *not* a good player), but the overall balance is pretty great.

I hope they'll never add daily quests as people are suggestion in the official forums.

Oh god no. Any incentive to deviate from the actual objective or effective play is such a horrible thing to do to a MP game.

Pastry

Banned
There are 21 different heroes.

TWENTY ONE.

I dare you to tell me you literally play all of them every day.

And? I'm allowed my opinion that there isn't enough content to justify the console price. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the game.

Is there an advantage to picking 4 offense characters when your team is supposed to be on defense? I was playing with randoms and this happened yesterday and we got blown out so fast.

vypek

Is there an advantage to picking 4 offense characters when your team is supposed to be on defense? I was playing with randoms and this happened yesterday and we got blown out so fast.

I guess if you are well coordinated you can just keep slaughtering the enemy. The whole "good offense is good defense" thing.

Mupod

Going to give Zenyatta a go tonight after work. I really want to be able to use him properly but I suck so hard when I try.

I keep saying this but try him on defense on a team with a Torbjorn or Symmetra. Zenyatta with even a little more hp is much more survivable as you won't die to sniper bodyshots. Stick with your team and remember that your main defense is your ability to debuff and murder people.

Discord orb a Roadhog then left click him in the general head area. Be amazed at how fast he melts. But do not under any circumstances get into hook range. Disclaimer: hook range is longer than you think, unless you are playing Roadhog in which case it is like 2 feet.

One more thing that helped me a lot - bind discord orb to a mouse button and mash the shit out of it when you think an enemy is in that general direction. It's a great way to mark them early and reveal their position.

My main problem as Zenyatta is overconfidence. It is a flimsy shield. I keep trying to do stuff like peek and countersnipe Hanzos, which leads to his fucked up hitboxes resulting in me getting one shot while I'm behind a wall. Aggression works great in low skill solo queue though, I have done some absolutely silly shit against teams that underestimate me.

I just noticed it last night, but at the victory pose screen whoever is in a group will be placed closer to one another. Like so:

oo o ooo (group of 2, solo, group of 3)

whaaaaaaaaaaat

You can win with bad team comp. Doesn't mean it'll work against a good team.

It wasn't a bad team comp, though. It just wasn't HIS team comp.

He wanted

-Tracer
-McCree (Him)
-Lucio
-Bastion
-Widowmaker
-Junkrat

Basically, he probably picked out the characters that he's been killed by the most, because honestly, I thought this seemed like a terrible set up, as we were attacking on Rt. 66.

We ended up going in with

-Genji
-McCree (Him)
-Zenyatta
-Mei
-Reinhart
-Pharah

Edit: Also, you're missing the point.

The POTG needs to be fixed. Just call it highlights and random choose someone. Most games has at least 1 thing that could be shown. That way we get everything. Right now it's high noon/ die die die and bastion over and over and over

I hated the challenge system in Titanfall as players would spend the match doing the thing needed to accomplish a challenge with no regard to the actual objective. Sometimes players from each team colluded between them to help each other out!

Objective-based game modes can be problem enough as it is (oh no my K/D ratio...) so adding artificial elements, unless done very well, could balls it up more.

T.O.P

Banned
Level 12 and still no legendaries, i even bought 5 extra loot cases :(

I also only have 350 "cash"

Gonna be a long run to get the Sunyatta skin :(

Baliis

Spawn killing isn't a thing. Objectives are pretty far from spawn points so you have a lot of room to maneuver without getting insta gibbed.

This is also great for casual play since you don't have to worry about unlocking weapons and shit.

Clearly you haven't played a match with total terribads. Joined into a losing match on Gibraltar where the payload hadn't moved an inch and people were just running out one by one and getting instagibbed

I really don't know if I should pick this up seeing as Mirror's Edge is out so soon. I really enjoyed the Beta, but I also have no buddies who are picking this up so I'd mostly be going in solo.

Can anyone help sway me in any direction? Also, if it's best to go PC or console? Very different balance and game of course, but the majority of the Beta time I had was spent on console and I enjoyed my time a fair bit.

Carm

Question about D.VAs mech self destruct. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention but it seems like it can be destroyed firing on it to prevent the explosion, yet other times it looks like it's shielded. So is the one that it seems like you can destroy not the self destruct?

I started to wonder if the game skews a little toward giving you slightly more drops for people you play more often.

Example, I play Tracer a lot because I like ganking.

I've gotten the Ultraviolet legendary, the Cheers, Love voice line (best in game) and 7 or 8 other things, like poses, sprays and 2 purple intros.

I'm only level 8 or so. My closest other character has like 3/50 unlocks. I haven't bought any boxes or used credits to buy any unlocks yet.

...saving for that D.Va Junebug.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
For those who play Zarya, what do you think of her barriers? I was in the practice range fooling around a few minutes ago and they appear to have a very short duration before it goes on CD. Is this fine in regular play, when you're trying to get your weapon to max charge? Just curious.

Mupod

I find that most often the people that complain that 'My teammates never fucking switch to support' are the same individuals whmo never fucking switch to support.

In solo queue I used to take the stance of 'I'll wait and pick what the team needs'. This, almost all of the time, means I'm picking a support. Eventually I get frustrated and just pick Soldier 76 as a form of protest. The funny thing is how often this works out great for me. I almost got 5 golds in one match yesterday, I got McCree'd right at the end and got silver objective time.

But yeah I play a support a LOT. Doesn't mean I always want to play one. I don't bitch about it though.

The POTG needs to be fixed. Just call it highlights and random choose someone. Most games has at least 1 thing that could be shown. That way we get everything. Right now it's high noon/ die die die and bastion over and over and over

It seemed like that was the case in the beta but it hasn't been that way for me at all since launch.

I even got a POTG for healing on a last push and downing an incoming enemy. I had never seen a healing-based POTG before.

MMaRsu

Wow a lot of bitching surrounding this game. I know maybe I shouldnt pay attention to what others say but generic and unoriginal is not something that comes to mind when playing this at all.

Then the issue about the price.. meh these are people who gladly buy overpriced dlc or season passes hating on the price structure of this game and the content it offers..

Its very dissapointing to see imo. One of the few games that doesnt nickle and dime you, doesnt throw microtransactions in your face basically anywhere, no season pass nonsense, no splitting the community with mappacks.

And some people have the gall to shit on how the game is priced. Would Ive liked it if it were 40 on consoles? Sure why not, but the case of perceived value by a customer in the store is still a thing. And with all future (meaningfull) content free, who is to say 60$ is too much for the amount of hours you can have fun with this game.

jayvo

I want this game but i'm not sure what to get it for! Xbox or PC??

I like sitting back and just playing on Xbox, but i have no friends who want it on Xbox.

PC will probably have more skilled players, so it would be a little more difficult without friends huh? More Support for the platform?

double dip??

I bought the game for PC but will most likely buy it for Xbox today or tomorrow as well, simply because I want to play this with the Elite controller. And I won't be playing this on my PC with a controller. So...double dip for me.

Any fellow Zarya players? Don't see her too much. Trying to get better with her. Any tips anyone has to share? I feel like I spam "grenade launcher" too much.

Don't throw her bubble up preemptively (or at least, not unless damage is about to happen RIGHT THIS SECOND.) It's too short lived so there's no point. Wait until you, or your ally are taking fire. Take advantage of corners to make hit and run attacks. Half your health bar is a regenerating shield, but that's only advantageous if you pull back when injured to let it regenerate. A high charge is a valuable thing, so don't play suicidal. Team up with someone who has a mean aoe ult to get the most out of yours, or failing that, lob high charge mortar shots into the clump of enemies when you pop it.

For those who play Zarya, what do you think of her barriers? I was in the practice range fooling around a few minutes ago and they appear to have a very short duration before it goes on CD. Is this fine in regular play, when you're trying to get your weapon to max charge? Just curious.

See above. Yes and no. LIke I said, can't pop it preemptively, but if you through that shit up during current, or right before imminent big damage, you will rapidly gain charge. If you throw up a bubble and eat a bastion burst or a d.va mech suicide, you've gone from 0 to 50. There's definitely a timing element to it, and to some degree you're reliant on enemy players feeding you, but it's still totally doable to build up charge.

mbpm1

The best is when you finally get the objective back from the enemy and everyone is fighting about 50 feet away from it instead of just taking a few steps back so you are close enough to get the free heal and actually move the vehicle as well.

Player on my team: Go to the objective guys we're like ten feet from winning
Enemy player: Don't listen to him. Ignore the objective

*We go to the objective and win in a few seconds*

PatjuhR

I also don't bitch about having to play support. Just annoys me that others don't take the responsibility, especially when there is also no tank. One person can't be both.

You have to work to time them to right before you or your teammate gets attacked or is under attack. Don't spam them. If you time it right your charge will jump fast and you will melt people. The CD is pretty quick though so you can dart in and out pretty regularly. She has good survivability.

Whoever wins the vote at the end should have their highlight reel shown.

gutshot

Question about D.VAs mech self destruct. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention but it seems like it can be destroyed firing on it to prevent the explosion, yet other times it looks like it's shielded. So is the one that it seems like you can destroy not the self destruct?

You can't destroy her mech to cancel the explosion. You have to just run for cover. Or if you are Reinhardt, just hold up your shield or Mei can block it with her Ice Wall.

Junkrat's RIP Tire can be destroyed to cancel the explosion, however. Maybe you are getting it confused with that one?

idonteven

meh i am on a huge huge lose streak again :( 70 games played and only 35 wins

sick of my teams being full with bastion or the reaper dudes

Zeliard

Soldier and McCree can be strong on defense despite their "offense" billing, just like Hanzo and Widowmaker can be very effective offensively. The categories aren't totally cut-and-dry. McCree in particular is just terrific on D because of his anti-flanker kit and very dependable mid-range damage.

You can viably have a strong defensive comp without any of the "defense" heroes. Two offense (McCree and Soldier for the most part), two tanks (Zarya + someone), and two supports (Zenyatta + someone) can be very strong defensively. So you can play around with the hero categories a bit.

Having said all that, if your teammates were running 4 O and getting slaughtered, they probably should have switched things up. :p So much of that sort of thing depends on the map, the other team's comp, and even whether or not you're on point A or B in a given Assault map.

matmanx1

So anyone have a character they thought they weren't gonna play/like but it ended up the exact opposite? For me it was mcgree and genji, didn't interest me much when I saw previews/gameplay but once playing these guys its fun as hell.

Lucio! Started playing him last night as my first foray into a support character and he is surprisingly fun. Very mobile, AE heals and speed boosts and a fun to shoot gun that features a knockback. I like him a lot.

DrArchon

The barrier works best if you can predict something big happening, like getting hooked by Roadhog or seeing one of Pharah's missiles heading your way. Using barriers for sustained fire is garbage for the most part and having your's be off cooldown sucks, so don't just throw it out unless you're sure it'll east some damage.

Keep an eye out for teammates you can save too. I've saved tons of lives by applying barriers to dudes that just got hooked or hit by Reinhardt's charge.

Mupod

Don't think of them like a shield so much as a 'parry'. You want to predict and intercept incoming damage. You absolutely can save teammates but they are not useful as a 'ok, shield's on you, go run out there'. I like to shield people as they get hooked or frozen (it frees them from the ice).

Right now people shoot the barrier like crazy and it's pretty easy to hit max charge. But you still need a little practice to consistently stay at high energy levels.

One of my favorite things to do is to shield a Roadhog or D-Va (after she uses defensive matrix) and walk up behind them, then walk in front with my own shield. Their huge hitbox means they soak up incredible amounts of damage when shielded.

Word of warning - the shield is not invincible. I don't know how much damage it eats up, I want to say 200-250. It WILL get shredded by Bastion. But you'll get 50 energy for it, so keep that in mind. 100 energy Zarya orbs will make very short work of a turret or stationary Bastion, so fill up your charge then peek out when your shield is back up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So anyone have a character they thought they weren't gonna play/like but it ended up the exact opposite? For me it was mcgree and genji, didn't interest me much when I saw previews/gameplay but once playing these guys its fun as hell.
Never would have imagined enjoying D. Va or Reinhardt as I never like being a tank in any game. They are a blast.

Lucio! Started playing him last night as my first foray into a support character and he is surprisingly fun. Very mobile, AE heals and speed boosts and a fun to shoot gun that features a knockback. I like him a lot.

Lucio is amazing for payload attack, I really like him, don't forget that if you hold down jump you can wall run which helps gain some height and travel around.

Whales

Banned
Having to counter this:

G8OF8j2.png

while playing with randoms is frustrating as hell to be honest. Sure, I switch to junkrat or pharah, but doing this alone just doesn't work

Then when they die you have mercy who goes ''HEROES NEVER DIE'' and I have to start all over again

Having to counter this:

G8OF8j2.png

while playing with randoms is frustrating as hell to be honest. Sure, I switch to junkrat or pharah, but doing this alone just doesn't work

Then when they die you have mercy who goes ''HEROES NEVER DIE'' and I have to start all over again

Hit that shit with a couple Symmetra charged shots. Works even better if you can get backup to do it. It goes through the reinhardt shield.

Did a wall grind to jump out of the well on Ilios yesterday :) It was awesome

Now I wanna try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom