• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

as the resident zarya/zenyatta player I feel like I should write up a guide or something instead of just responding to every post. I don't think I'm good enough so I'd feel like a fraud though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Will the Xbox digital version include all of the origins stuff? (Skins, Winston pet, Mercy wings, cars back)

We are all soldiers now

5MMBIqH.jpg
I honestly wouldn't mind trying some custom games were everyone picks a single character or something.

I wrote up a post earlier, maybe check it out. I'm not a pro or anything but I tend to do very well with Zen and he's probably my favorite character overall.

I love Zen and that' write-up is pretty much what I do. You can plop a heal orb on someone just because or toss one on during battles as a spot check, but if you have to decide between healing or debuff/weapon spamming, go with debuff every single time.

Pop the debuff and immediately start firing. Strafe while doing so because you're squishy. Rinse and repeat, basically. Heavies drop insanely fast with that orb on them.

Reapers are my main problem when playing Zen. It doesn't take more than a few hits to die and they can just ghost away when the going gets tough. I can handle Tracers really well by leading my primary attack a bit. Her character leans a lot so you know exactly where to put the crosshair. She goes down really quickly with a debuff.

theultimo

I'm actually curious to know how the controller is working for you on PC. I've been tempted to plug in my Xbox controller but haven't yet.
As long as you crank up the sensitivity it's fine.

You won't have the snap 180 advantage, but it can be managed by adjusting your playstyle.

as the resident zarya/zenyatta player I feel like I should write up a guide or something instead of just responding to every post. I don't think I'm good enough so I'd feel like a fraud though.

Fuck it. Write the guide. Listen to critique, if people have suggestions. Improve your own play, and improve your guide. Win win.

Tuffty

For me I use Symmetra when I have to Defend and I see there's someone else already playing as a healing support member. Healing is so crucial so I think it's a fools errand to use Symmetra if nobody else is either Lucio or Mercy for example.

Afro

I'm actually curious to know how the controller is working for you on PC. I've been tempted to plug in my Xbox controller but haven't yet.

The Xbone controller (on PC) has a huge, gross deadzone and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else complain about it. Aiming is incredibly imprecise and I've been playing console FPSs for well over a decade. Not sure if it's just a bug w/ the PC version or if that's just how the game is.

Zomba13

I honestly wouldn't mind trying some custom games were everyone picks a single character or something.

It's super fun having a team of all the same character. Not yet done all one character v all one character though, just all one character v normal line up. Still super funny though, especially our failed D.Va eSports team.

Me neither. I don't automatically vote for anyone on my team either. Only if it was for being on objective or healing and other useful stuff. Can't give 'em votes too easy.

Im the same way now. In the beta i would automatically vote for someone on my team EVERY TIME. Now we usually only vote when someone does something actually worth while in a support aspect or MVP type accolades, enemy team included.

This checks out.

I'm of the opinion that people need to get out of the mindset of pocket heals a la Team Fortress 2. Map awareness and health pack spawning should be primary. Beyond that, healing should only be for actively pushing a clustered area.

Symmetra's portal is so good if placed correctly. Her turrets sticking to roofs create great chokepoints that require a concerted effort to stop.

I just suck with her in general, though.

Yeah, healing is a boon, not a requirement. Just like how tanks have high HP, but not necessarily high survivability when under concentrated fire.

Blizzard's done a bang-up job of differentiating all of the heroes' playstyles. They all feel very distinct. Especially once they click.

DrArchon

For me I use Symmetra when I have to Defend and I see there's someone else already playing as a healing support member. Healing is so crucial so I think it's a fools errand to use Symmetra if nobody else is either Lucio or Mercy for example.

Yeah, Symmetra can't solo support which really sucks because I want to use her more but a lot of the time I'm the only support and the team needs healing.

If it weren't for her ult I'd say to move her to the defense category, or at least make sure the "not enough supports" notice stays up if she's the only one.

Lunar15

I've been playing a lot of Lucio because he's insanely useful in almost every situation. That said, he's so passive. His gun's pretty good and you can get some kills, but basically your job is to "be there". It sucks because I feel like he's so useful, but I hate feeling obligated to play as him.

Carm

You can't destroy her mech to cancel the explosion. You have to just run for cover. Or if you are Reinhardt, just hold up your shield or Mei can block it with her Ice Wall.

Junkrat's RIP Tire can be destroyed to cancel the explosion, however. Maybe you are getting it confused with that one?

Nah wasn't confusing with junkrat, I was shooting at the mech and it was blowing up, hrm maybe it was just her ejecting on to much damage taken and it was blowing up, no dmg with my shooting actually doing nothing.

mbpm1

I've been playing a lot of Lucio because he's insanely useful in almost every situation. That said, he's so passive. His gun's pretty good and you can get some kills, but basically your job is to "be there". It sucks because I feel like he's so useful, but I hate feeling obligated to play as him.

Just dance!

Why is play of the game only awarded to multi kills? I'm over here healing fools and coming in clutch with the shields and ults and the widowmaker getting two kills in a row gets the play of the game

Just half kidding
Funny story. Yesterday our whole team was standing on the payload. In comes Junkrats wheel of death we all braced ourselves for death, right befote it went off our McCree took it down. We all knew he had just saved all of our lives. Somehow the game knew it too. The POTG was McCree shooting a wheel once.

Btw it was absolutely POTG.

Afro

As Lucio, if my team gets wiped, I rush back to spawn and help them get right back to the objective w/ speed boost. I think it's appreciated.

mbpm1

Funny story. Yesterday our whole team was standing on the payload. In comes Junkrats wheel of death we all braced ourselves for death, right befote it went off our McCree took it down. We all knew he had just saved all of our lives. Somehow the game knew it too. The POTG was McCree shooting a wheel once.

Btw it was absolutely POTG.

that's absolutely cinematic

Ohnonono

Love playing Zenyatta when I get a chance. So active. You can certainly feel slow though. Also after avoiding Widowmaker because it is the typical sniper character I gave her a shot. I made a huge mistake, she is super fun and I was really effective with her.

Zeliard

Fair nuf. So it's not an auto win. You gotta nail the headshot off the deflect.

It isn't an auto-win, but it's also easier to do than you might think if the Widowmaker isn't wise to it. You need about a second to bait out the charge and that gives you plenty of time to place your crosshair.

That's only going to work for a certain amount of time though since the Widowmakers are going to catch on to it pretty quickly. :p

Voror

Did a match against AIs this morning. Felt pretty garbage honestly. Played as Genji, McCree and Soldier. Did better with the latter two, which I guess makes sense since Genji is supposed to be harder.I'd really like to get better with him though.

I confess I'm somewhat hesitant to play as a Support in matches. Just sort of worried about holding the team down if I'm not doing it well, though I suppose that's why you can change heroes.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Played the open beta and liked it enough to buy it to play with friends.

I can't help but shake this feeling that the characters feel a bit... manufactured? Overly focus tested? Sterile? Can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the uncanny valley of personalities. Every character is full of... character (haha), but it's maybe so much so that it just feels fake? Maybe I'm just ranting, but that's my only actual gripe with the game. Can't seem to connect with any of the characters.

It isn't an auto-win, but it's also easier to do than you might think if the Widowmaker isn't wise to it. You need about a second to bait out the charge and that gives you plenty of time to place your crosshair.

That's only going to work for a certain amount of time though since the Widowmakers are going to catch on to it pretty quickly. :p

And that deflect animation is super apparent when genji occupies your sights. I guess you gotta snap that timing pretty perfect. And a widowmaker could presumably fuck with you by jumping the gun and not hitting a full charge. It's neat interplay.

mbpm1

I confess I'm somewhat hesitant to play as a Support in matches. Just sort of worried about holding the team down if I'm not doing it well, though I suppose that's why you can change heroes.

I played as a tank one or twice.

Died in seconds and couldn't help anyone

Never again.

Mupod

I love Zen and that' write-up is pretty much what I do. You can plop a heal orb on someone just because or toss one on during battles as a spot check, but if you have to decide between healing or debuff/weapon spamming, go with debuff every single time.

Pop the debuff and immediately start firing. Strafe while doing so because you're squishy. Rinse and repeat, basically. Heavies drop insanely fast with that orb on them.

Reapers are my main problem when playing Zen. It doesn't take more than a few hits to die and they can just ghost away when the going gets tough. I can handle Tracers really well by leading my primary attack a bit. Her character leans a lot so you know exactly where to put the crosshair. She goes down really quickly with a debuff.

A habit I've been trying to get into is checking the enemy score screen constantly. If you see Reaper on there you can be absolutely 100% certain he is coming for you. Tracer fights usually end up one of 3 ways - I get instagibbed from behind, I two shot her, or I scare her off. Usually the last one against good Tracers, one discord headshot and they nope the fuck out. I also need to get out of the habit of holding down LMB and actually place my shots. I've been killing Hanzos in particular a lot more consistently this way.

Played the open beta and liked it enough to buy it to play with friends.

I can't help but shake this feeling that the characters feel a bit... manufactured? Overly focus tested? Sterile? Can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the uncanny valley of personalities. Every character is full of... character (haha), but it's maybe so much so that it just feels fake? Maybe I'm just ranting, but that's my only actual gripe with the game. Can't seem to connect with any of the characters.

I can't disagree more. have you played Battleborn? I would describe the characters in that game as fake and manufactured. (I love that game BTW)

however the heroes in this game could carry a cartoon by themselves.

mbpm1

I can't disagree more. have you played Battleborn? I would describe the characters in that game as fake and manufactured. (I love that game BTW)

I'd watch the hell out of an overwatch tv show

speaking of which, overwatch tv show when

A habit I've been trying to get into is checking the enemy score screen constantly. If you see Reaper on there you can be absolutely 100% certain he is coming for you. Tracer fights usually end up one of 3 ways - I get instagibbed from behind, I two shot her, or I scare her off. Usually the last one against good Tracers, one discord headshot and they nope the fuck out. I also need to get out of the habit of holding down LMB and actually place my shots. I've been killing Hanzos in particular a lot more consistently this way.

I love playing as zen, but I just can't seem to figure out how to use the multi-orb charged attack effectively. I often just pop the discord and shoot the regular orbs. Any tips?

Zemm

How big do you guys think the Esports scene will be? Currently, on second day release it's at 113k viewers on Twitch at 5:30PST and Summit makes up roughly 23% of those viewers. He's mainly a CS and variety streamer so he probably won't stick with Overwatch long term. We will also see other streamers lose new release viewers overtime. Do you think this will be another Heroes of the Storm or will it be able to compete with the top 4 in Esports and viewership? Why or why not?

It'll have more players than heroes of the storm, and it'll always have a very healthy player base, but I don't see it being a big esport. I think CS GO has that on lockdown and there really isn't much room for another big fps esport. I'm sure it'll have its own smaller competitive scene though.

Brandwin

There's no point in voting at all.

You can, if you so desire, recognize who you thought played well. There's nothing to be gained or lost by recognizing a player from the other team. They aren't your enemy. You're not losing anything. They're just a guy who played a game. Frankly I find people who refuse to vote for the other team pretty weird. What, you played a game against them so now you hold some sort of grudge? How dare those assholes get matched against you?

Are we 12? Is this karate kid?

Wait, so voting doesn't do anything, no exp or better chance for loot etc? Thought it served a purpose?

I have no problem with voting for someone who I just played against, good game is a good game.

I love playing as zen, but I just can't seem to figure out how to use the multi-orb charged attack effectively. I often just pop the discord and shoot the regular orbs. Any tips?

Learn to time a multi orb charge for when you're coming around the corner. You might find the perfect target to put your crosshairs on. Otherwise, generally, you're better off going with discord and then hitting them with your primary fire.

Wait, so voting doesn't do anything, no exp or better chance for loot etc? Thought it served a purpose?

I have no problem with voting for someone who I just played against, good game is a good game.

Like being on fire, accolades in the winners circle do literally nothing.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Haven't played Battleborn, but I don't think that matters.

Yeah again, it's just a personal tick I guess. For instance, TF2 characters were charming because they were presented as one-dimensional caricatures that took that one personality trait to an extreme. That's "fake", but you could relate and laugh.

These characters feel too real (well, some of them, not S76 or Edgelord 9000 haha) maybe? I guess the best way to describe what I'm feeling is some sort of uncanny valley here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom