• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played the open beta and liked it enough to buy it to play with friends.

I can't help but shake this feeling that the characters feel a bit... manufactured? Overly focus tested? Sterile? Can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the uncanny valley of personalities. Every character is full of... character (haha), but it's maybe so much so that it just feels fake? Maybe I'm just ranting, but that's my only actual gripe with the game. Can't seem to connect with any of the characters.
Winkyface?
Die! Die! Die?!
It's gotta be high noon somewhere?
Cheers, love! The cavalry's here?

The characters do seem deliberately distinct, but I can't really hold that against them. I've found a lot of them to be very fun and endearing, in a TF2 sort of way.
It's probably been asked but what's the difference between shield and armour?

Shield regenerates, HP and armor do not. Armor, however, has a slight damage reduction (don't know the percentage) that can be very useful.

Z3M0G

I just decided I'll be buying this game. (Won out over DOOM).

I'll be boxing up a bunch of games when I get home and trading them in. Haven't done that in YEARS. But I can't spend income on new $80 games anymore... I just can't!

have yet to play as tracer yet. but i relate them to that fly in a room that you can never quite kill, but ends up distracting you for a few hours. except this fly has guns and can rewind time.

Actually the best character in the game. Just have to manage your skill cooldowns and know the distance each "jump" will carry you and you'll just own the game. I really like picking her against Rindhearts because she can blink behind them and force them to turn around, exposing them to the rest of your team's focus fire or die by your hand. Snipers get bodied the same way.

I only play her so much because it's almost too intense for me (I get stressed) but she's by far my favorite character in the game or any FPS game for that matter.

This is as a PC player, however. I can't imagine playing her with a controller because fast turning around is essential to her gameplay style. I'd feel incredibly restricted by controller turning.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When you cant find shit to complain about Overwatch:

"Characters have TOO much character"

Damn son, thats...thats good.

I just decided I'll be buying this game. (Won out over DOOM).

I'll be boxing up a bunch of games when I get home and trading them in. Haven't done that in YEARS. But I can't spend income on new $80 games anymore... I just can't!

I'm in same boat. These $80 new game prices in Canada have me refusing to buy new games outright. I've made myself a deal that I have to finish Uncharted collection before I can get Overwatch.

Mupod

I love playing as zen, but I just can't seem to figure out how to use the multi-orb charged attack effectively. I often just pop the discord and shoot the regular orbs. Any tips?

Stick to the regular orbs +discord most of the time and go for headshots. Charged shots are great in some situations but the individual orbs hit for less and it's not as accurate. One neat thing is you can do a full charge when you have 1 ammo left, but not all that useful in practice.

Example of a good place to charge up: your Widow just used her ultimate and you see an enemy coming around the corner. In particular it can really mess up big characters since you won't miss. I also instantly nuked a Mei yesterday just as ice wall came down, that felt good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do I use Zenyatta properly? He's the only character I don't really understand super well.
He's extremely tough to use with such squishiness and no mobility, but super fun and awesome IMO. Everything hits so hard with the discord orb on. The charged alt fire plus discord seems like it can one-shot almost anything, perfect for stationary Bastions, snipers or slowly advancing Reinhardts.

You need to be sort of a flanking healer/debuffer, never expose yourself to fire too much (you're like the easiest target Widowmaker has ever seen), just poke your head out a tiny bit to toss harmony/discord orbs or throw a quick barrage. If you are on the front lines you have no chance, but if you can stay on the flank of your tank while prioritizing their tank/healer it's a damn good time. Use your Ult to turn the tide on an objective or just to stay alive getting back to cover behind your allies (never "save" it for long, it charges crazy fast).
He's a super squishy support with crazy high DPS. Never be in range of a sniper, never be on the front lines. Stay in the line of sight with your allies so your heal keeps working and throw out your discord orb against tanks so your team can shred them or force them to back off.
Yeah also the orbs time out after 3s of not having line of sight, so you can sort of duck in and out of cover to just keep resetting that cooldown, rather than having to stay exposed in line of sight the whole time.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
When you cant find shit to complain about Overwatch:

"Characters have TOO much character"

Damn son, thats...thats good.
I'm not trying to complain about the game. It's fun. It's great value at $40. I don't mind the cosmetic micro-transactions. It's just that I see so many people absolutely love the characters (perhaps even more than the gameplay) and I can't relate to it. I want to, but I can't. That's all.

Shields recharge!

I honestly haven't a clue what armour does.

Any source of incoming damage is reduced by 5 points, up to a maximum of half the incoming damage source. For shotguns they reduce the whole shot by a flat 5, not 5 per pellet.

armor is extra life that only lasts once

Characters with built in armor can regenerate their armor in all the ways that any character regenerates health. The only 'one time use' armor is Torbjorn's armor pickups.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love playing as zen, but I just can't seem to figure out how to use the multi-orb charged attack effectively. I often just pop the discord and shoot the regular orbs. Any tips?
That seems like the right way to go to me. The regular orbs + discord is already a whole bunch of damage. The charged shot works if you know you can hit something right around a corner (pop out art the last minute) or especially for stationary/big targets like a Bastion or Tohl turret, or a distracted sniper.

D.va's high armour is what makes her such a bruiser. With her great mobility, she can pursue and bully fragile characters with ease while shrugging off the attacks thrown her way.

sogood
I'm not trying to complain about the game. It's fun. It's great value at $40. I don't mind the cosmetic micro-transactions. It's just that I see so many people absolutely love the characters (perhaps even more than the gameplay) and I can't relate to it. I want to, but I can't. That's all.
The only thing that could possibly improve Overwatch is the inclusion of sandvich. Or a spy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
overwatch-mccree.jpg

Mcree is a Nightcrawler fan?

Nightcrawler_Bamf.jpg

yes I know what the acronym means :p

LordofPwn

Actually the best character in the game. Just have to manage your skill cooldowns and know the distance each "jump" will carry you and you'll just own the game. I really like picking her against Rindhearts because she can blink behind them and force them to turn around, exposing them to the rest of your team's focus fire or die by your hand. Snipers get bodied the same way.

I only play her so much because it's almost too intense for me (I get stressed) but she's by far my favorite character in the game or any FPS game for that matter.

This is as a PC player, however. I can't imagine playing her with a controller because fast turning around is essential to her gameplay style. I'd feel incredibly restricted by controller turning.
great tips!
i played her in the beta, i'm still tuning her controller layout. basically right now i have L1 as jump, L2 as Dash, and L3 as rewind, might change her ult to R1. and i can crank up horizontal sensitivity to be able to turn quickly. in theory this all should work well, just haven't really spent any time with her since release.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Man, Zarya gets no post game love. PotG with a triple kill and 2 good barriers, and 70% average charge nomination? 1 vote.

Matt Frost

Played Overwatch this lunch-break and I starting to like Pharah more and more. Just jump and float to a high place and shoot from there. No one will see you. Since this game lacks a radar is easier than ever to sneak behind, above or right next to the enemy... and they won't even notice!

Also... 10,000 posts to get a new thread and forget the horrible name of this one lol

Onaco

have yet to play as tracer yet. but i relate them to that fly in a room that you can never quite kill, but ends up distracting you for a few hours. except this fly has guns and can rewind time.

Started playing Tracer last night and I'm switching between her and D.Va now. You want to really get behind and flank enemies as much as you can, but maintain a distance. You essentially are the Goomba (or swarmer) of the team. You die easily if you are shot, as she only has 150 HP, much like D.VA out of her mech. The difference is you can easily blink out of the way, rewind to disorient your enemy (and on occasion yourself), and continue to slowly drain your enemy's health. You become an anti-Reinhardt, as you can get behind and flank him when the player isn't paying attention to their six. On the downside, she's not dealing too much damage, so keep in mind you will be going through rounds before an enemy falls. If you keep moving around, you will become harder to predict and hit by enemies. Due to your speed, you don't get a lot of help from healers all the time, so learn where health packs are in maps and make sure you have a quick getaway.

Her Q move is a sticky bomb, but with really small proximity. Get in close with her dashes, stick it to an enemy with Q, then press E to rewind to get out of the way and avoid any damage. It seems obvious, but it's kind of one of those moments where you might want to train yourself to do it with muscle memory. There were many times where I just forgot to throw the bomb because I pressed E instead of Q.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask about playing Tracer, but I thought I'd offer a few things I've noticed while playing her.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Played the open beta and liked it enough to buy it to play with friends.

I can't help but shake this feeling that the characters feel a bit... manufactured? Overly focus tested? Sterile? Can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the uncanny valley of personalities. Every character is full of... character (haha), but it's maybe so much so that it just feels fake? Maybe I'm just ranting, but that's my only actual gripe with the game. Can't seem to connect with any of the characters.

The Overwatch characters instantly reminded me of Overstrike before that game actually did undergo focus testing, which sucked all the joy and creativity out of the game and turned it into bland and generic TPS number 84 when they rebranded it as Fuse.

FinKL

Zen needs a floating Dhalsim-like jump...

dhalsim-yogayogayoga.gif

His mobility/armor sucks.. give him something to work with. Damn.

Oh god you're right. Giving him a yoga teleport would of awesome considering the other supports have fun mobility options. The only thing he got was silent walk speed but he's so slow I'm not sure you can flank with him to leverage the silent walk.

Z3M0G

I'm in same boat. These $80 new game prices in Canada have me refusing to buy new games outright. I've made myself a deal that I have to finish Uncharted collection before I can get Overwatch.

I've forced myself into working on my backlog as well. Trading old games in is a new idea that I'll use as a loop-hole to buy one new game... unless I make enough $$ for two.

I'd love to quit buying digital games all together and start trading things in, but I don't pay sales tax on PSN games...

Matt Frost

Nailed Tracer. I would say a wasp or bee more than a fly but nailed it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The Overwatch characters instantly reminded me of Overstrike before that game actually did undergo focus testing, which sucked all the joy out of the game and turned it into bland and generic TPS number 84 when they rebranded it as Fuse.
Yeah, I don't think it's bland at all. (I agree what you think about Fuse.) Just.... weird haha. Like, inches short of making Pixar characters but instead we ended up with the Dreamworks smirk.

Can you create and play games solely with your friends? Like versus each other? Or is it pure online only and/or against bot stuff?

Yes, custom games. You can add bots too. You can also adjust the rules, similar to the brawls. You can ban specific heroes even. It is online though. I don't think there are any offline or splitscreen options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom