• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you cant find shit to complain about Overwatch:

"Characters have TOO much character"

Damn son, thats...thats good.

Balance seems wrong and I'm not talking about Bastion and Trojnborn. I admittedly haven't been looking to much on boards to see what consensus is and I haven't played enough to really know, but stuff like Mei dragging on overtime with Ice-block and Zenyatta being easily one shotted by Widowmaker aren't really good signs to me.

Travel time on Genji shuriken also seems problematic why use him over Mcree a lot of the time? He's more mobile yeah, but provides less utility without the stun and I'm already seeing people play way smarter against reflect.

Tracer's ult also has little to no warning, which doesn't seem to be in line with a lot of other ults. There's no solid way to counter when you get stuck by it and no audio cue to let you know that it's a threat.

A hunkered down Symmetra also seems far harder to deal with than should be necessary sure you could be Winston and destroy her stuff from behind a wall, but you're a tank your not supposed to be seeking out teleporters to destroy. None of the flankers seem well suited to handle it.

If there is a Mercy it can be difficult to tell which one ulted more than once I've heard the audio cue as I'm retreating thinking it was a friendly one and then heading back in to the fight only to run in to a guy I just killed because it was actually the enemy Mercy.

Those are just the problems I've run in to that feel not right. Perhaps I'm just bad though? The last problem though definitely is something that could be easily be fixed perhaps by always hearing the enemy Mercy say "Heroes never die!" in German. That actually might be a decent solution to resolve a lot of confusion for ability triggers. Have enemies always speak their native tongue when they are hostile and then English if they are friendly. There are obviously some issues like with Tracer, 76, etc. but just give the hostile ones a different line.

deoee

Winkyface spoiler lol ok...

No, it's not stupid. People often complain about something because they are completely ignorant of it. Keep playing, you will learn about all the things in the game, then you will remember your comment and meditate. "Way too big hitboxes". Each class has its own advantages and disadvantages, and hitboxes are one of them, also what Blizzard wants and how they made it this way... keep playing, you will learn this eventually...

But there is nothing I can do against giant arrows or hooks when I'm not next to them on my end. So this is nothing to get better on except avoiding those heroes all together which is no option.

Voorhees

It sucked ass for me until I crossed some magical threshold past level 20 or however much time Blizzard thinks. Then I got put against and with really great players constantly, so everyone was on point with hero picks and teamplay.

For me it was initially daunting at first, what with so many characters and trying to learn how to use abilities etc etc. But man I found Mcree and became a fan of fanning and I've been having a blast. Between him and Mercy I've been consistently up for votes at the end of every match and I've yet to play with a party.

I sure would like to though, that +20% XP sounds nice. If anyone's on late nights in Central time, Voorhees is my PSN.

mbpm1

I once hooked someone at the same time they ragequit the match. The hook followed them out and I was attached to 'something' outside the map. The chain was visible to other players (my friends were in the match) and I couldn't do anything but walk around slowly.

You hooked onto the place all Ragequitters are home to

Error 40002

NO HACKS REQUIRED!

giphy.gif
Nerf this

HariKari

The game does MMR like Starcraft 2 but is hidden.

I've found at lvl 15 or so you get enough matches to actually matchmake correctly with your skill

Had a level 9 in one wrecking people, so I don't think it's level based. At high MMR it's enjoyable but also frustrating because you can't carry like you can early on.

abundant

For me it was initially daunting at first, what with so many characters and trying to learn how to use abilities etc etc. But man I found Mcree and became a fan of fanning and I've been having a blast. Between him and Mercy I've been consistently up for votes at the end of every match and I've yet to play with a party.

I sure would like to though, that +20% XP sounds nice. If anyone's on late nights in Central time, Voorhees is my PSN.

Sign up to the Google Doc (in the OP, tabs are on the bottom) and ask to be invited to the group chat. Easiest way to play with fellow Gaffers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Haven't played Battleborn, but I don't think that matters.

Yeah again, it's just a personal tick I guess. For instance, TF2 characters were charming because they were presented as one-dimensional caricatures that took that one personality trait to an extreme. That's "fake", but you could relate and laugh.

These characters feel too real (well, some of them, not S76 or Edgelord 9000 haha) maybe? I guess the best way to describe what I'm feeling is some sort of uncanny valley here.

Say whaat? "Feel too real"? You mean the obese "monster" dude with the hook? The dwarf with the robot arm straight out of Warcraft? The big guy with the giant hammer? The "angel" with the staff? The robot who throws orbs at people? The talking gorilla?

You can't get any farther from real than this.

I just don't see what you're talking about.

Astral

I stayed up till 4 because I couldn't go to sleep without at least one satisfying D.Va victory. I've learned that I really suck at 1v1 with her. I almost always blow up, even when I get the drop on a Widowmaker or Hanzo. The characters I struggle fighting against the most though are Reaper and fucking Tracer. Holy shit fuck Tracer. I can never catch her. I just say fuck it and leave. Reaper is too powerful up close so I leave against him too. I just find myself retreating a lot and never really getting any kills because I never deal enough damage even when up clode, at least nothing compared to my opponent. I also dip when facing another D.Va because that shit is just silly.

HariKari

tracer isn't threatening enough, she gets people to chase her not flee her. for instance if i'm widow and i make eye contact with winston i nope right out.

Double tracer on control. You get run the fuck down if you take damage. It's like blood in the water. I enjoy her playstyle but she romps against bad and average players a little too well IMO.

mbpm1

Not sure what people mean by the characters feeling one way or another.

I don't notice much of that in a match, just faces to shoot and annoying shields

deoee

Say whaat? "Feel too real"? You mean the obese "monster" dude with the hook? The dwarf with the robot arm straight out of Warcraft? The big guy with the giant hammer? The "angel" with the staff? The robot who throws orbs at people? The talking gorilla?

You can't get any farther from real than this.

I just don't see what you're talking about.

He want's the Waifus the be real, that is all...

Whales

Banned
Balance seems wrong and I'm not talking about Bastion and Trojnborn. I admittedly haven't been looking to much on boards to see what consensus is and I haven't played enough to really know, but stuff like Mei dragging on overtime with Ice-block and Zenyatta being easily one shotted by Widowmaker aren't really good signs to me.

If there is a Mercy it can be difficult to tell which one ulted more than once I've heard the audio cue as I'm retreating thinking it was a friendly one and then heading back in to the fight only to run in to a guy I just killed because it was actually the enemy Mercy.

friendly mercy says "heroes never die"
enemy says it in german

same thing for every other ult

"ive got you in my sights" =enemy 76
"tactical visor activated" = friendly

russian zarya speech = enemy
english = friendly

waga no teku etc = enemy hanzo
"let the dragon consume you" = friendly

japanese scream from genji = enemy
"let the dragon become you" = friendly

"nerf this" = enemy dva
"activating self destruct sequence" = friendly

"fire in the hole" = enemy junkrat
"ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!" = friendly

its like this for every single char

Double tracer on control. You get run the fuck down if you take damage. It's like blood in the water. I enjoy her playstyle but she romps against bad and average players a little too well IMO.

She's the Riven of Overwatch. The difference is people on Overwatch can switch to a character who rofflestomps her, if they were smart enough to do that.

Cade

Had a Nepal match earlier with three Tracers on both teams, me included.

It was some of the fastest most insane shit ever.

I got POTG, I'm the best Tracer

What's the best, most intuitive way to play with gaffers or PS friends in this game?

I see I can't just join in a friend's game (unless I'm missing something)...

Does every game have to be planned somehow......I can't just jump into a game a friend's already in?

OldRoutes

I still can't manage to win as Winston... it's really fun to figure it out, though!

Anyone has any tips? I have issues gauging the damage I'll do when I land, for example...

Kito

I'm trying to decide what controller to use for the PC version: Xbox, or Steam (gyro aiming?).

My main issue with mouse and keyboard is that I don't like WASD for movement.

According to the director of Netease (Blizzard's partner in China), Overwatch broke the sales record of an full prize retail game, set by Diablo 3 in China. Diablo 3 sold more than 2 million copies here.

deoee

I still can't manage to win as Winston... it's really fun to figure it out, though!

Anyone has any tips? I have issues gauging the damage I'll do when I land, for example...

I don't really get his ultimate.
I never seem to kill anyone with it and just shuffle people around :(

theultimo

What's the best, most intuitive way to play with gaffers or PS friends in this game?

Does every game have to be planned somehow......I can't just jump into a game a friend's already in?
Go to the social menu and click a person. You can join the game as a spectator and queue to join int

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RE: Roadhog's Hook...I want to say the weapon is actually hitscan? Like the hook itself is a delayed projectile but you hitting or missing is determined at the first click which means people who back off on a roof or behind a wall were still open when it started.

what is tick rate?

It's essentially how fast the server updates. So it being 20 would mean it updates 20 times per second or ~50ms or so later. The higher the tickrate, the more it refreshes which makes stuff like getting shot while you run behind a wall less likely.

I don't know what the closed beta was like though, or if they can just increase it later and maybe did this to handle launch load. Custom games run at 60 tick which is fine.

abundant

Either have them invite you or you invite them to create a party.

Currently spent most time playing Windowmaker, love her, but I need to step my cover game up. Second most played character is Phara, god damn the Air Superiority is real if playing against people who are bad at aiming. I want to learn McCree next, god he looks like he could be fun.

theultimo

I'm trying to decide what controller to use for the PC version: Xbox, or Steam (gyro aiming?).

My main issue with mouse and keyboard is that I don't like WASD for movement.
I tried steam controller, it might be better for quick turns but there is a learning curve and also requires you to set up a shortcut and use steam overlays.

My PS4 controller with DS4windows does it just fine without steam.

KraytarJ

Currently spent most time playing Windowmaker, love her, but I need to step my cover game up. Second most played character is Phara, god damn the Air Superiority is real if playing against people who are bad at aiming. I want to learn McCree next, god he looks like he could be fun.
Flashbang -> Fan the Hammer
That's the main thing really

mbpm1

It's essentially how fast the server updates. So it being 20 would mean it updates 20 times per second or ~50ms or so later. The higher the tickrate, the more it refreshes which makes stuff like getting shot while you run behind a wall less likely.

I don't know what the closed beta was like though, or if they can just increase it later and maybe did this to handle launch load. Custom games run at 60 tick which is fine.

Good to know, thanks

Flashbang -> Fan the Hammer
That's the main thing really

Also roll reloads your gun for more fanning the hammer

Also it must be high noon somewhere on the planet

Mupod

It's to jump around and be a big distraction/contest a control point. Good for knocking people off ledges.

I watched a Winston ult and lead 3 of my team members (all 3 randoms, I was in with 2 friends) off in the entire opposite direction of the final point on Anubis. Like 30 seconds later he was still fucking alive and came back, meanwhile we had been fighting a 5v3 on the point...

HariKari

McCree is great but you need to be in the right spot on the map at all times. He has no real mobility and a surprisingly large hitbox, so he dies awfully fast if out of position.

OldRoutes

From my experience, the Ult is really good to save you from dying when protecting or defending a capture point. The swipes just kicks everyone out, and the Jump Pack recharges really quickly...

Still can't manage to make a damn difference, though!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is there a way to fix the way the mouse feels in this game? I can't get it to feel as snappy as it does in CSGO?

It almost feels like it's got some acceleration going on.

enemy says it in german

english = friendly

"nerf this" = enemy dva

Is it now? See I guess I haven't played enough? Mercy's line must sound awfully similar in German then, because I don't think I've ever noticed it.

Kito

I tried steam controller, it might be better for quick turns but there is a learning curve and also requires you to set up a shortcut and use steam overlays.

My PS4 controller with DS4windows does it just fine without steam.

I feel like gyro might be critical in competing with mouse players which is why I'm leaning towards Steam, over Xbox/DS4. But if Steam is a hassle I'd rather accept the drawback and get a console controller.

Re: this point. Doesn't her ult line only come in English if it's friendly?

Edit: yeah per above, hadn't noticed it myself but now I'll be looking out for it

I feel like gyro might be critical in competing with mouse players which is why I'm leaning towards Steam, over Xbox/DS4. But if Steam is a hassle I'd rather accept the drawback and get a console controller.

I've been using a Steam Controller. If you make your desktop configuration what you would use for Overwatch then it isn't a hassle. I have a config uploaded which basically mimics the default controller config.

enemy says it in german

english = friendly

"nerf this" = enemy dva

yea I love how it works this way.... it's Genius

Is it now? See I guess I haven't played enough? Mercy's line must sound awfully similar in German then, because I don't think I've ever noticed it.

It doesn't, I remember hearing it and thinking "why is she speaking in german? and then later in the kill cam, it translated it saying "heroes never die" instead and I was like OOOOH"

Demoskinos

In pub games I'm finding D.VA is my problem solver. Almost always if my team is losing I'll switch to D.VA and rush in and take care of all the turrets/bastions I'm really hoping people clue in to how to counter turrets and bastion soon cause while I really like playing as D.VA sometimes I wanna play as someone else but I always feel that I need to play her so we can win. =|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom