• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, how should I be playing Mei? I feel like I'm not being effective enough.
Avoid these guys because they can and will fuck you up if they aren't terrible: Reaper, McCree, Tracer. All of them have ridiculous mobility and close range damage that can force you to use abilities ineffectively and can avoid your freeze beam/ult very quickly due to invulnerability or being too mobile. McCree in particular is dangerous because he can flashbang you to deny the life-saving self freeze and melt your HP pool with his right click.

Your job isn't to block off line of sights, because that is a double edged sword that messes with both teams. Block out specific areas of approach, especially flanks. Mei is good at supplementing a push or a hold because she can immediately and temporarily block off an avenue that the other team can push from, forcing them to go into the line of ire that your team favors instead of the path with more cover/vantage points, etc. Your ult should almost always be used onto the enemy supports or frontline, due to them lacking the escape tools to get out of the ult before being frozen. Try and coordinate this with your teammate's powerful offensive ult like Deadeye or Rocket Barrage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PS4 but my Internet's good.

Well but PS4 doe :/ its well known how slow it is. Last game I downloaded there was Until Dawn and damn son. All afternoon, meanwhile im downloading 40gig games on steam in under an hour :(

mstevens

Okay.. I'm pulling the trigger on this one. I'm usually a trophy hunter, but will not be going for trophies in this game because I don't want to ruin the experience.

If I'm usually not very good at competitive shooters, what would be a good starting hero?

The tick rate stuff is getting kinda annoying. Hearing the ult sound start and then dying and seeing on the kill cam that you didn't start ulting is beyond frustrating.

M.J. Doja

Banned
beFlCsR.jpg
scMGYad.jpg
0WQopxT.jpg
kPRI5r1.jpg

The setup so far. I like em all

edit: damn it, pics are huge for some reason, sorry

Nottle

Be as annoying as fucking possible
This is actually pretty solid advice. Though I did play a game where the Mei on our team blocked the path out to the KOTH point. Don't accidentally or purposefully in that persons case block your teammates.

Another good way to play her is to just hover around the place you will defend. She actually seemed to do well up close defending as well as taking pot shots from far away. Area denial seems to be her thing. Get the jump on people, left click, freeze, right click.Work with other heroes that liked to have their opponents stand still.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The tick rate stuff is getting kinda annoying. Hearing the ult sound start and then dying and seeing on the kill cam that you didn't start ulting is beyond frustrating.

Yes sir, or making it 50ft around the corner and dying but on the kill cam you're still out in the open.

Okay.. I'm pulling the trigger on this one. I'm usually a trophy hunter, but will not be going for trophies in this game because I don't want to ruin the experience.

If I'm usually not very good at competitive shooters, what would be a good starting hero?
I'm not sure if this means you should play him, but Soldier 76 seems like he was meant to imitate the stereotypical Call of Duty-esque gameplay, so he seems like a familiar starting point. He has a sprint, automatic weapon, and a heal. If you're like me and can't really get kills without being killed, maybe picking a support character like Lucio or Zenyatta might be easier. It's also kinda fun to play a tanky character. I think D. Va has a pretty forgiving kit.

Good starters are Reindhart, Soldier76, Torbjörn, and Lucio. No crazy fast reflexes required and they're all simple to play. Lucio and Reindhard in particular are my favourite of that bunch.

SeanR1221

Just to clarify with Lucio, his gun can't heal/increase speed allies from a distance right? That's just for damage and your allies benefit by being near you

Xeteh

Just to clarify with Lucio, his gun can't heal/increase speed allies from a distance right? That's just for damage and your allies benefit by being near you

Yeah, his gun is only doing damage. Same with Symmetra which confuses some people.

What's wrong with it? I don't feel like the game's laggy or anything.

It isn't really a lag thing, its why you sometimes will get sniped after you run behind a wall where the Widowmaker shouldn't have seen you and general responsiveness. A lot of people who care about that sort of thing seem to want a tick rate of 90 at the minimum.

KarmaCow

If your teammates aren't obscured by the environment, your aura will reach them. You can see how many people you're affecting right in the middle of the healing/speed indicator. The gun is purely for damage and knockback.

Yup, damage output and knockback. Your allies will passively heal or speed up if they are in range of you. Using your "E" bound ability allows you to boost both status effects greatly though. Having all the healing and buffs applied automatically leaves you to just focus on knocking back and attacking peeps, it's great.

Right, his buffs are purely based on where he is standing. I can't quite tell just how big of a range it is, or how well it works on people through walls or at a different elevation than you, though.

Salarians

I just want some alternate color skins or enough credit to buy Reinhardt's helmetless, camouflaged skin. Four or five boxes in a row and all I've gotten are icons, sprays, and voice clips...

Yep, gun is for killing them softly only. On his hud you can see how many of your teammates are near you, useful for keeping them up and building ult

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was sure my first purchase with in game currency would be one of Mercy's evil skins, but I think I need goth Zarya in my life fam.

Help me loot crate gods ;_;

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Level 200 before you get just 1 little star below your portrait? hohoho
That's a crazy handle you have there friend
Yeah I been through quite a few pug matches that no one wants to do support, so I mostly just do Lucio then when it comes to those. I enjoy playing him a lot through.
That's what I've been doing exactly, but it then becomes extra frustrating if the team is not piling onto the objective, because alone I'm not doing any good, then I die. My first game of the night as Lucio, everybody crowded around me on the objective and I immediately got a 6 kill streak and we went on to win the round. The difference is just ridiculous.
Even in non randoms I would never play koth without one. He's a staple healer.
I mean in a coordinated tean other support setups can definitely be effective but he assists so naturally without needing to communicate that he's perfect for randoms.
I always try to but my team is usually not good enough to coordinate in randoms.

And when they don't all work together, my healing as Lucio is just completely wasted.
Yeah this

I'd really love to play with some gaf teams! I'm no pro fps guy but I'll talk lots of voice, switch heroes when necessary and strategize. Dunno how games are being set up with fellow pc players but I totally want in.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love it when you get a 5 stack of the same hero on your team, it's always hilarious.

We just did a 5 junkrat stack and the other team was just unable to figure out how to push it.

Edit: OH GOD WE JUST DID A 5 STACK TORBJORN THAT FELT DIRTY

We all walked out with 25 eliminations and only 2 deaths each.

Are any of those healers? I like the idea of playing support

Lucio is a healer, AND a speed buffer! You can switch between both status effects on the fly on both yourself and people around and you'll all get buffed automatically. Leaving you to focus on shooting and pressing "E" to buff your status effects for a brief period of time. He's both simple and incredibely useful!

mstevens

Looks like Lucio it is. Thanks guys. This is my first real foray into competitive shooters so I should be active in here asking advice :)

Best part of my games tonight was the fact that apparently the hole in the middle of the capture point on ilios still counts as in the map so a Lucio on the other team kept wall running in the hole after being knocked in to stall our capture by 10 seconds or so.

Correct, healing happens in an aura of line of sight around you, the gun is there to mildly inconvenience enemies and occasionally bump someone of a cliff.

wrongway

Matchmaking has a serious hard-on for in-progress games tonight. Damn near every game I join is one that's in progress (with my team about to lose of course). If I quit and requeue, I get another in-progress game. If I sit through it, I get bumped back out into the queue and into yet another in-progress game. The one time I queued into a fresh game the server closed a few seconds in because it "couldn't find enough players." o_O

Oh well. Will try more later. At least those JIP games don't count as losses (I think).

Lucio + Mercy man. Double Heals sometimes is a necessity and man when you do it it...no one dies.

Double support of any of the main three healers seems to be a great combo. Zen/Luc/Mercy all complement each other and pretty much any team very well. Zen/Luc is probably the better combo if you have strong tanking, Luc/Mercy otherwise.

Matchmaking has a serious hard-on for in-progress games tonight. Damn near every game I join is one that's in progress (with my team about to lose of course). If I quit and requeue, I get another in-progress game. If I sit through it, I get bumped back out into the queue and into yet another in-progress game. The one time I queued into a fresh game the server closed a few seconds in because it "couldn't find enough players." o_O

Oh well. Will try more later. At least those JIP games don't count as losses (I think).

You also get significant bonus xp for sticking with them, so it's not all bad.

ExVicis

Double support of any of the main three healers seems to be a great combo. Zen/Luc/Mercy all complement each other and pretty much any team very well. Zen/Luc is probably the better combo if you have strong tanking, Luc/Mercy otherwise.

D.Va was the tank for the match, so she wasn't really "tanking"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom