• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
The POTG algorithms need serious looking at. I've done crazy game
Saving things as Lucio and never gotten a POTG.
I did a five kill in about ten seconds thing as Mei yesterday, including blocking a turret and using my Ult, and it was the best thing I have done in Overwatch. POTG? Bastion, killing a couple of people in a truly boring sit back and tank em way.

First time I've felt bitter - not because I couldn't believe that somebody didn't do something cooler or better or more valuable, but because if they did, that really wasn't it.

That is correct. You get the 150xp for gold.

So in order to get max XP it should look like this.

Base XP - Determined by how long the game was.
500 XP - If you win.
150 XP - Gold Medal
200 XP - Consecutive Game Bonus
20% Bonus for grouping with friends.

There's also 1500 XP for first win of the day.
And I think its 400 XP for back-filling a match...

Awesome! Thanks for breaking that down for me! :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
McCree is a more bursty character that has to "rest" between bursts. Reaper just does all damage, all the time.

Going up to a full health Roadhog(600) and knocking him down to 100 health in 3 shots isn't something McCree can pull off. I'd also argue that Reaper's Ult, when used correctly, is much more devastating than high noon. Reaper just annihilates tanks by himself, while McCree has to stun, fan, roll, and fan again.

I'd rather be Reaper on attack, too. You want to be behind them, annoying them or chunking them down.

McCree is amazing on defense since they have to come to you, which makes up for his lacking mobility.

The post game vote is a moral booster for me. The POTG is a goddamn bash turret killing me and who ever I'm healing but the post game card that says 5000 plus damaged healed with the percent kill assists.
It's a reminder that he may have got POTG but we still won and I did pretty good.

Other than that, am I correct to assume that it, and the voting afterwards, serve no tangible purpose?

i think you get extra XP if you get 5 votes, no?

edit: what i dont get is sometimes somebody gets PotG but isnt in the voting afterwards... so was it that good if its not worth voting for?^^

packy34

I'm confused, I thought you maxed out at 150xp in medals no matter how many you get. Am I wrong?

This is why I ask, so much flashes on the screen within the menus, trying to get a better understanding!

If you're in a group the 20% boost would bring it up to 180, but yes. You only get XP for one medal of the highest grade.

IbukiLordSA

Played with my dream team last night :)

RIXaNSO.jpg

If you're in a group the 20% boost would bring it up to 180, but yes. You only get XP for one medal of the highest grade.

That one medal for me is almost always healing as Mercy.

My death toll is in the gutter. The rest of my team, though... well, it's why I don't trust anyone besides myself to be the medic. I'm confident in Lucio's ability to stay mobile with his healing aura, but a good Mercy who doesn't stay tethered to one teammate is hard to come by.

Im ranked 22 as Genji on PS4 WW :D

How reliable is masteroverwatch im only level 23 and that ranking seems abit high.?

Ranking seems to only deal with how much time you've played with a character so far. If you only play Genji, you'll likely be ranked high.

In other news, I ran into a 6 Genji team just now. Obviously caught my team off guard for a bit, but once we settled down and realized what we were up against, even my pub team was good and quick about switching towards more Anti-Genji solutions. Ended up stomping them pretty good in the end and got called tryhards for not letting them roll over us with their meme squad. Feels good man.

Squire

Banned
I'm going to give Genji an honest try tomorrow. Anyone have tip for him? I'm not marksman and he seems like that kind of character. His primary uses seem to be assassination and recon.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How's the game on PS4 compared to PC? I'd rather pick this on PS4 to play with my brother/friends.
Runs great in game, I'd pick PS4 if you don't mind the controller and have people on it you can play with. Game is more fun when you group up with people.

As for differences, here's what I've noticed: the main menu transitions aren't as smooth as they are in PC, initial matchmaking takes a few seconds more on PS4 (usually can find a game within 15 seconds on PC while PS4 can be anywhere between 15 seconds to 2 minutes; next round is instant on both though as long as you don't leave the game and restart matchmaking), there's a ~3 second black screen when switching characters mid match on PS4 stock hdd (instant switch on PC with SSD), aim assist on PS4 (none on PC), game feels much more twitchy on PC cause of MKB/tad slower on PS4 cause of controller, and the average player skill level on PS4 just feels a lot lower than what it is on PC. I haven't come across any crazy accurate play of the game at the end of a match on PS4 like I do on PC. Usually it's either someone pulling an ultimate or 3 consecutive kills near the end of a match on PS4 while on PC I'd say agood chunk of my matches have ended with someone pulling off some ridiculously fast and precise kills in the 5 - 6 range.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The post game vote is a moral booster for me. The POTG is a goddamn bash turret killing me and who ever I'm healing but the post game card that says 5000 plus damaged healed with the percent kill assists.
It's a reminder that he may have got POTG but we still won and I did pretty good.

I almost always vote for support/tank characters.

Attacking with a team that doesn't know how to shoot turrets is the worst and those photos are giving me flashbacks.
...Why didn't they wait for me as mercy to catch up? They ran in to the killing zone at full speed form their respawn thinking something different was gonna happen but no they just got blown to hell over and over!

I'm going to give Genji an honest try tomorrow. Anyone have tip for him? I'm not marksman and he seems like that kind of character. His primary uses seem to be assassination and recon.

Harrassing the enemies backline is what i mainly use him for, get in and get out kind of thing. Chip down target from medium range and try finishing them off with the dash.

Remember the dash resets after every elimination so you can dash, eliminate someone then immediately dash again. You dont have to get the final hit as long as the "eliminated" text comes up then you can dash.

Genjis double jump and dash both seriously disorients most players ive come across. Mostly Tanks like Dva, Roadhog and Reinhardt.
Especially Reinhardt. In a fairly open space you can shred him just by running and jumping above and around him smartly. He'll just start swinging wildly.

Staying on high ground is a good idea and never forget about your reflect, its saved me a bunch of times.

Edit: his L2 fan shuriken attack is real good for fast moving characters like Tracer and lucio

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
even tho yesterday was a horrible overwatch day for me...I just played.
Yeah I'm not bad with D.VA. So much fun and first game was a big win.

Squire

Banned
Harrassing the enemies backline is what i mainly use him for, get in and get out kind of thing. Chip down target from medium range and try finishing them off with the dash.

Remember the dash resets after every elimination so you can dash, eliminate someone then immediately dash again. You dont have to get the final hit as long as the "eliminated" text comes up then you can dash.

Genjis double jump and dash both seriously disorients most players ive come across. Mostly Tanks like Dva, Roadhog and Reinhardt.
Especially Reinhardt. In a fairly open space you can shred him just by running and jumping above and around him smartly. He'll just start swinging wildly.

Staying on high ground is a good idea and never forget about your reflect, its saved me a bunch of times.

Edit: his L2 fan shuriken attack is real good for fast moving characters like Tracer and lucio

Thanks! I'll keep all of this in mind.

Was doing some solo queuing tonight, and ran into a team that consisted of 4 of my friends.

Dorado Map, they took the first 2 checkpoints fairly easily but we held them off for over 6m on that final stretch, and won. The shit talking that commenced was glorious, a group of pugs took out a 4 person premade.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried to take a screenshot but failed. I won a game with a 6-lobby playing as 4 offensive Symmetras + 2 Lucios.

Unfortunately 5 Winston + 1 Lucio after that did not work.

His shurikens are tough to use, they have travel time so get used to leading your shots. Make good use of vertical areas of the map, Genjis wall climb and then double jump gives him a real impressive use of air. Make sure you are aiming at the opponent when deflecting to return the bullets at them and be aware that any kills you do will refresh the swift strike cooldown. Generally you want to be softening your targets up with your shurikens and then going into the swift strike to lay down the final blow or if they start to run. To be honest the best tip is to just make sure you are always aware of your escapes, the most efficient way of putting maximum distance and walls between yourself and any troubling situation. Doing that will keep you alive and keep you a nightmare for the other team.

sappyday

I didn't really follow the news before the game's release but did Blizzard ever say how many characters we're gonna get later this year?

Vol5

I've played around 10 hours now and haven't heard one person talk on PS4. What's the deal with that?

PSN: spydymanx . Would love to play with a team that communicates.

GavinGT

Banned
I did a five kill in about ten seconds thing as Mei yesterday, including blocking a turret and using my Ult, and it was the best thing I have done in Overwatch. POTG? Bastion, killing a couple of people in a truly boring sit back and tank em way.

First time I've felt bitter - not because I couldn't believe that somebody didn't do something cooler or better or more valuable, but because if they did, that really wasn't it.

Yeah, the algorithm is basically "who did the most damage or healed the most in a short amount of time?".

This game also seems to foster a hate for other characters in me.
Torb = him and his turrets have a stupid ammount of health.
Mei = if its one on one just jump of the fucking map.
Bastion = I've never seen him not in his turret or tank form.
Reaper = just saves his ult and runs at the team from the flanks until he gets 3-4 kills for POTG

It is probably because i haven't played with those characters yet but they are the ones that stick out to me when I play

packy34

This game also seems to foster a hate for other characters in me.
Torb = him and his turrets have a stupid ammount of health.
Mei = if its one on one just jump of the fucking map.
Bastion = I've never seen him not in his turret or tank form.
Reaper = just saves his ult and runs at the team from the flanks to he get 3-4 kills for POTG

It is probably because i haven't played with those characters yet but they are the ones that stick out to me when I play

Torb needs a slight nerf TBH. Maybe let snipers do a bit more damage to his turrets. It's garbage that it takes 3 pharah rockets to bring a level 2 turret down currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom