• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordofPwn

those complaining about tick rate should check the netcode episode of the dev diary.

while 20 is low, a majority of people won't notice or care. your game fills in the ticks with interpolation and checks after the next tick if it should overwrite something. i mean there's going to be 3+ ticks in-between you reacting to something in game anyways so i don't really see the big deal. it would make sense to have servers that ran at the same rate of the game but that could get pricey. and they have custom games that can go to a higher tick, which is what will be used for tournaments.

just play the game and enjoy it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Low tick rate is good for low skill players. They can contribute without being naturally good at twitch shooting.

Lower load on the servers too.

I don't care either way but there are upsides I'm not sure are being fully considered.

Boke1879

Welp picking this up today. Gamestop is doing a good trade in deal and I'll only be paying $20 bucks for it. Gonna go pick it up in a couple hours. What time do the servers go up again?

jacobs34

Now that I know what the tick rate is in this game... nothing changes. It's still the most fun I've had with an FPS since TF 2 launched.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Would you guys be as gung-ho about 60 tickrate servers if you had to deal with hero/map DLC or other types of monetization? Increasing the load on the server infrastructure isn't cheap.

Zomba13

The thing about tick rate is yeah, casual players won't notice or care. At worst they will blame any of the problems caused by it on "lag".

That doesn't mean they shouldn't improve it for those of us that notice or know about it. The casuals, yeah, they won't care either way but they also probably wouldn't care if you were forced to use a gamepad on the PC version.

More like OVERWAIT

RqccPxH.jpg

Gamestop Italy broke the street date

Lain

I keep looking at my amazon.it preorder from last year and feeling down
That says it'll ship by the 28th of June and I'll get it by July 1-5!!

Tomorrow they'll update it to shipping. Sucks that they're not shipping it ahead to be able to have it on release though.

Manoko

Would you guys be as gung-ho about 60 tickrate servers if you had to deal with hero/map DLC or other types of monetization? Increasing the load on the server infrastructure isn't cheap.

Come on, it's Blizzard, they can afford it to give the players a smoother experience.
It's not like they would be the only competitive FPS doing it, it's become normal and they are outside of that norm.

Shady859

I know it's probably already mentioned 35 times but wow what a kick in booty that the $60 console version comes with a code for lots of bonus swag on PC + 1 set on wings for Diablo on PS4. All you PC people should change to vanilla and just buy a console code if you play the other Blizzard games.

9.5GB update as well for anyone who hasn't popped the disc in and Noire Widowmaker skins are in specially marked cases and not emailed.

Sending a request to the community in a bit, see yall online. :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What is DRAGON: THE GAME

Depending on your hero you die pretty quick.

Many abilities oneshot and the ttk is very low so you'll be running back to the hotspots pretty often in your early days

It's like a graceful ballet but with guns and stationary turrets

Compared to most other shooters on the market, it is not at all a meatgrinder. Obviously it depends on individual matchups, but there is a lot of potential for extended duels, especially when faster heroes go 1v1 (Tracer v Tracer, Genji v Genji).

Thanks everyone! Sounds like this could potentially be the MP shooter I have been hoping for. Was really hoping Battlefront would be the 'one', but after day 2 I was already frustrated and having little to no fun, and it has sat untouched since.

I guess the insta-kill mentality of many shooters just turns me right off. Nothing that makes me reach for the power button when 90% of deaths and kills come from off-screen fire that feels like a 1-shot kill. This definitely seems different and I adore the character aesthetics. (Never really spent time with TF2 way back, but ADORED RtCW on Xbox)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, it's Blizzard, they can afford it to give the players a smoother experience.
It's not like they would be the only competitive FPS doing it, it's become normal and they are outside of that norm.

It's not their job to "afford it." It's their job to make a profit. They're already giving away all future heroes and maps for free. 20 tickrate will not be an issue to the vast majority of people, so there's no point in them arbitrarily increasing their cost structure just because a vocal minority are yelling for it.

They're likely going to have to maintain 5-10 million players on their servers if the open beta is anything to go by, and tripling the tickrate for that many players is not something that is going to be cheap.

Overwatch |OT| I've got... 20 ticks to paradise!

Wont you... Pack your Bastion we'll leave tonight! lol

(Im still going to be playing the shit out of it as i loved the Beta... just hoping they step up and bring it up to 60+.)

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's not their job to "afford it." It's their job to make a profit. They're already giving away all future heroes and maps for free. 20 tickrate will not be an issue to the vast majority of people, so there's no point in them arbitrarily increasing their cost structure just because a vocal minority are yelling for it.

They're likely going to have to maintain 5-10 million players on their servers if the open beta is anything to go by, and tripling the tickrate for that many players is not something that is going to be cheap.

So let us rent servers and pay our 128 tick then?

No?

Alrighty.

peakish

I don't think we need to defend Blizzard's pocket book for a game that is going to sell millions of copies. I don't care about the issue personally, I'm too low skilled for it to matter, but that's besides the point.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm OK with that.

Yeah but they are not.

So if they refuse to let us even pay for the damn ticks, how about they provide them?

I enjoyed the beta a ton, is the difference in rate really a big thing? (Honest question, I do not play many other FPSes.)

Was it an issue during the beta?
It was a issue that you easily (at least i did) notice after a while and did some digging.
Found that it is indeed running at 20.8 for matchmaking.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204443154&postcount=2575

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
im no expert but maybe 20 tick on an overwatch server isn't as bad as on a counter-strike server?

Well, you CAN set a higher tickrate in custom games, and thats basically our dedicated server option. I don't see blizz giving us the option to host our own servers like, EVER.

It'd be nice to see them roll out higher tickrates for general matchmaking, but if we get 60 for competitive mode, thats a good step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom