• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Update installed. T minus 4 hours and 40 minutes.!

Well, you CAN set a higher tickrate in custom games, and thats basically our dedicated server option. I don't see blizz giving us the option to host our own servers like, EVER.

It'd be nice to see them roll out higher tickrates for general matchmaking, but if we get 60 for competitive mode, thats a good step forward.

Yup, i don't care about higher tickrate in quick play mode to be honest, i just want that in the competitive mode (Cuz you know, it's... competitive.)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well, you CAN set a higher tickrate in custom games, and thats basically our dedicated server option. I don't see blizz giving us the option to host our own servers like, EVER.

It'd be nice to see them roll out higher tickrates for general matchmaking, but if we get 60 for competitive mode, thats a good step forward.

Casual - 20
Ranked - 20
Custom - 20 or 60 depending on option

Sure is what it seems like.
If they do make ranked 60 ticks. It's all good. But they only confirmed 20.8 for matchmaking and 60 being patched in for custom games.

For people who don't know why people are salty about the tickrate:

2016-05-2319_57_26-ticqo2l.png

So uh? You move faster the higher the tickrate?

Wasn't the beta 20 ticks?

Yup, i don't care about higher tickrate in quick play mode to be honest, i just want that in the competitive mode (Cuz you know, it's... competitive.)

I think most of me would be ok with this... but then i'd keep getting frustrated with "close calls" on the 20 tick servers and always end up in competitive with my group.

k4n3

Banned
wow people still doubt they advantages of a high tick rate? guess you never played BF4 lmao.... it became a new game overnight when they increased it

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but they are not.

So if they refuse to let us even pay for the damn ticks, how about they provide them?

It was a issue that you easily (at least i did) notice after a while and did some digging.
Found that it is indeed running at 20.8 for matchmaking.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204443154&postcount=2575

Again, it's their prerogative what they provide and what they don't. I assume the reason they don't allow you to create custom servers is because Blizzard is highly protective of its IPs and the online experience they provide. Look at them shutting down the Nostalrius servers as an example.

You have a pretty close option though: you can create custom games with your friends (or GAF) and play on 60 tick servers. For free. That's a pretty good alternative if you ask me. I'm probably hardly going to use it, but the option is there for you to use if you care so much.

Tecnniqe

Banned

No that image shows where the server see you.

20 tick the server recognize those frames while at the one below running higher tick the server notices much more frames and as such is much smoother and accurate when it comes to hit detection and such
Again, it's their prerogative what they provide and what they don't. I assume the reason they don't allow you to create custom servers is because Blizzard is highly protective of its IPs and the online experience they provide. Look at them shutting down the Nostalrius servers as an example.

You have a pretty close option though: you can create custom games with your friends (or GAF) and play on 60 tick servers. For free. That's a pretty good alternative if you ask me. I'm probably hardly going to use it, but the option is there for you to use if you care so much.

While custom is fine and probably will be used a lot its still missing the competitive play as nothing is ranked by a system.
I couldnt care if they let casual stay 20 as long as at least ranked is 60. Seems to not be the case.

64 tick would be 15.6ms vs 20 tick would be 50ms

Big difference if you ask me.

Also https://youtu.be/6EwaW2iz4iA?t=2m
I love how this video begins with "let's first imagine there's absolutely no ping between the player you see the, the server, and yourself."

I agree that if there were no such thing as network latency or packet loss, tickrate would be a bigger deal. But those two things are still the problem in most "bullshit" deaths (even after we get rid of the actual reasons for most "bullshit" deaths, which are player inputs).

deoee

Wasn't the beta 20 ticks?

This is what the server does.

It updates your position more often.
Higher tickrate means, if you move behind a wall you're "instantly" behind the wall and can't be hit. A slower tickrate will make you appear behind the wall from your perspective, but for the server you're still next to it.

MKAllDay

No. He got there in the exact same amount of time. What happened is the player that is watching him saw all of those instances of the character. By having a higher tickrate, the character's position was updated much more frequently as opposed to him essentially teleporting short distances (though because this all happens so fast it does not look like teleporting).

Are there any Overwatch guides/tutorials out there on YT? Played the beta and totally didnt click. Maybe Im just a noob and missing something :p

At its worst, the difference between 20 and 60 is about 35ms. On average, it would be lower than that.

The human brain is very bad at gauging 35ms differences. It is very good at rationalizing its failures on 35ms differences.

Tecnniqe

Banned
No. He got there in the exact same amount of time. What happened is the player that is watching him saw all of those instances of the character. By having a higher tickrate, the character's position was updated much more frequently as opposed to him essentially teleporting short distances (though because this all happens so fast it does not look like teleporting).

He is teleporting but interpolation smooths out what the player sees.

Interpolation is esentially smoothing out the movement of an object moving between two known points, as from tick 1 to tick 2

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
At its worst, the difference between 20 and 60 is about 35ms. On average, it would be lower than that.

The human brain is very bad at gauging 35ms differences. It is very good at rationalizing its failures on 35ms differences.

Can't kill Bastion because of 20 ticks

From a shooter/target pov, does one tick rate or the other offer any advantage? Like, is it better for a shooter if the tick rate is lower, or does it basically just screw both the same?

Manoko

wow people still doubt they advantages of a high tick rate? guess you never played BF4 lmao.... it became a new game overnight when they increased it

Exactly, changed the game.

Someone please start a thread about tickrate because this is becoming the second most annoying thing after Bastion complaints

We should keep this discussion active, so more people are aware, and hopefully Blizzard finally decides they need a higher tickrate.
Let's not swipe this under the rug.

Permanently A

I don't know anything about the technical aspect of tickrates, but I guess that might explain why I did so well in the beta with sniper characters. I've always been garbage with TF2's sniper and huntsman, but with Widow and Hanzo I was stomping, it seemed like I always managed to land hits. I guess the tickrate could explain why.

Only just looking through the wiki now and am confused by how much of the lore and character bios are already known. I thought the only story details would be revealed by the animated shorts and comics, what am I missing?

No that image shows where the server see you.

20 tick the server recognize those frames while at the one below running higher tick the server notices much more frames and as such is much smoother and accurate when it comes to hit detection and such

Ah ok so higher ticks means less bull shit deaths

manhack

I've been through this discussion for a couple of games now (Battlefield 4, Rainbow Six: Siege, CS:GO)

Looking forward to 200 pages of tickrate discussion interspersed with gameplay impressions.

sigh

Tovarisc

From a shooter/target pov, does one tick rate or the other offer any advantage? Like, is it better for a shooter if the tick rate is lower, or does it basically just screw both the same?

Both can get screwed, but for target it may feel pure bs when in his game he dies behind corner / cover. All the while shooter killed the target to spot where he was still exposed.

Manoko

I don't know anything about the technical aspect of tickrates, but I guess that might explain why I did so well in the beta with sniper characters. I've always been garbage with TF2's sniper and huntsman, but with Widow and Hanzo I was stomping, it seemed like I always managed to land hits. I guess the tickrate could explain why.

It's a combination of low tickrate and gigantic hitboxes, especially on Hanzo's side.

Right, it allows for the game to be more fair.

Tecnniqe

Banned

While from nothing to action may take long actual reaction time during an action is almost instant in a game like this.

We're not talking about snap around missing a bullet but rather having guns like tracers which is low on ammo in certain moments hit outside the tick rate and do nothing while having to still reload.
More or less.
At the very least more consistent gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom