• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane1345

Does this tick rate thing you guys are talking about explain why sometimes I got headshots on people when I clearly didn't hit their heads. Does it lead to over sized hitboxes?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kinda makes sense to have 20hz tickrate servers at launch.
Once they know the exact server demand they can move it up to 30hz or 40hz.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
For people who don't know why people are salty about the tickrate:

2016-05-2319_57_26-ticqo2l.png

Boke1879

Remember PS4 Overwatchers, if you want in on the master DOC, community or Group Chat please let me know! We want as many people up and running tomorrow as we can!

Boke18 on PS4. Might not get it day 1, but I just saw Gamestop has a trade in deal towards this game. SO I might just pick it up in a few hours lol

Manoko

Game is not even out and I'm already sick of the tick rate stuff.

If the game feels good, that's what matters. People are just going to use this as a scapegoat when they perform poorly.

Sorry if you feel like the game is more enjoyable with behind cover kills and giant hitboxes.

The rest of us, who have been enjoying a tight experience on competitive fast paced FPS, would like as little bullshit as possible.

Does this tick rate thing you guys are talking about explain why sometimes I got headshots on people when I clearly didn't hit their heads. Does it lead to over sized hitboxes?

Yes indeed.
60Hz would be the bare minimum to be honest.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Thats the dumbest excuse ever.

Tick rate can literally change how the game pans out.
In a fast game like this its really necessary when you get into higher ranked plays and hinge on millisecond decisions.

Fucking QUAKE had higher.
Even TF2 had like 100 tick at launch a decade ago.

While what you are saying is true, Blizzard probably wants to optimize their servers for a larger playerbase/higher server stability.

ScOULaris

borderless window

whats wrong with borderless windows for that triple buffering

I get lower framerates and some slight-but-noticeable input lag in borderless window compared to dedicated fullscreen. I played for a while with it, but I think it's mainly the higher framerates in fullscreen that are contributing to a snappier feel. The higher the fps the higher the input polling from the mouse.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Tick rates make game feels smoother as well as hit registration.

Hitting outside the tick rate will yield in fired bullets doing nothing and if you i.e throw down a bomb and die outside the tick it might vanish and do nothing.

While what you are saying is true, Blizzard probably wants to optimize their servers for a larger playerbase/higher server stability.

No excuse for a company like Blizzard.

At least let me MM custom games then. Give me a server browser.

Fuk yo ranked play if it wont feature over 20 tick. I'll MM my own non-ranked custom games at 60 tick.

So tickrate is basically the competitive FPS equivalent of input lag in fighting games.

That sounds shitty. Is it something that can be fixed through an update?

Didn't really play the Beta. How much of a meatgrinder is this compared to say Battlefront?

I am really sick and tired of MP shooters feeling less like actual duels or gunfights.
Compared to most other shooters on the market, it is not at all a meatgrinder. Obviously it depends on individual matchups, but there is a lot of potential for extended duels, especially when faster heroes go 1v1 (Tracer v Tracer, Genji v Genji).

Asd202

Still can't decide whether to get it on PS4 or PC eh. If there was a way to link both somehow I would just buy it on PS4 and get PC later or something.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So tickrate is basically the competitive FPS equivalent of input lag in fighting games.

That sounds shitty. Is it something that can be fixed through an update?
It's something that would be "fixed" by Blizzard/Activision ponying up for more bandwidth.

In practice, when someone says tickrate robbed them of a kill, they are almost always kidding themselves; we're dealing with margins that are unnoticeable to the overwhelming majority of people. It would be very nice to have, but it is not a dealbreaker. Even in 2016, more problems are caused by shoddy networking, ur mom streaming Netflix, or simple geography than a low tickrate.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Game is not even out and I'm already sick of the tick rate stuff.

If the game feels good, that's what matters. People are just going to use this as a scapegoat when they perform poorly.

People on the internet like to complain. A lot. It's kind of annoying. The game feels fine and plays well. Making all the servers 60 tickrate will increase their server costs significantly, and that's unnecessary.

saskuatch

Right, I really hope Blizzard will improve on both, and allow people to host their own server with their own rules.

Yeh those things really hurt, I really like to join community servers and play with the same people all the time. But with the stupid matchmaking its just random dudes.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
No excuse for a company like Blizzard.

At least let me MM custom games then. Give me a server browser.

Fuk yo ranked play if it wont feature over 20 tick. I'll MM my own non-ranked custom games at 60 tick.

It is absolutely an excuse. It makes no sense to have all their servers ramped up to handle the launch load with 60 ticks when the vast majority of players don't even care. It's a business decision.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It should be 64 for casual and 128 for ranked, if not 128 for both. If you've ever played CS GO the registry difference between an official server vs a good custom one is night and day.

Zomba13

Anecdotes are not data.

But we have the data. We know it's a tick rate of 20. It's not some big secret or incorrect theory. We know how tick rate affects gameplay in an online shooter as Overwatch isn't the first shooter played online, so we have a variety of different games with different tick rates for their servers we can compare and contrast with and use as "data".

Tecnniqe

Banned
Watched it several times. Interpolapoaidaw dont make up for a low tick rate like they seem to make it out to be. It simply smooths movement between ticks but server ONLY sees the tick rate like in the image above, meaning everything between those tick frames is "ghosting"
It is absolutely an excuse. It makes no sense to have all their servers ramped up to handle the launch load with 60 ticks when the vast majority of players don't even care. It's a business decision.
Well if they had casual at 20 and allowed matchmaking at 60 or have people rent servers and up it to 128 at their own cost i'd have no issue.
As it stands right now both casual and ranked got 20.8 tick and custom have a option for 60.
It should be 64 for casual and 128 for ranked, if not 128 for both. If you've ever played CS GO the registry difference on an official server vs a good custom one is night and day.
Truth!
And thats a relative "slow" game compared to OW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom