• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

Someone asked if the console vs PC version would be balanced the same. Jeff said they're okay with making separate changes and gave the example that on console, Symmetra's turrets have auto aim attracting your crosshairs to them, but they're tweaking how strong that auto aim is because sometimes you would be trying to kill an enemy and the turret auto aim would screw you up.

MUnited83

For you.
DZiIJtq.gif

Tecnniqe

Banned
The lies.

Shooting is not fine when you get into wrong side of the tick!

So annoying hearing them talk about being respectful about FPS genre and then refusing to up the tick rate on the client to support 60+ ratio.

Biggest flaw with the game right there.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't really play the Beta. How much of a meatgrinder is this compared to say Battlefront?

I am really sick and tired of MP shooters feeling less like actual duels or gunfights.

deoee

"We know what FPS players want"

20-tick servers

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

What is DRAGON: THE GAME

Didn't really play the Beta. How much of a meatgrinder is this compared to say Battlefront?

I am really sick and tired of MP shooters feeling less like actual duels or gunfights.

Depending on your hero you die pretty quick.

Many abilities oneshot and the ttk is very low so you'll be running back to the hotspots pretty often in your early days

cupajoe

Neo Member
Do you guys feel like there will be much griefing at the start? I'm picturing a new player coming up against a team of TORBJÖRNs with one support.

What do you think the community will be like across the board? I think it'll be interesting to see how the PC playerbase operates in comparison to PS4 or Xbox One.

Dad

It's like a graceful ballet but with guns and stationary turrets

Tecnniqe

Banned
I missed the beginning of the interview.
Did Jeff really dismiss the 20 tickrate problem ?...

No they started to ramble on about how they are respectful to the FPS genre and know what people want from a FPS, yet it seems we're stuck with 20 god damn ticks.

Blizzards biggest flaw is their Design Bubble they live in

Game is not even out and I'm already sick of the tick rate stuff.

If the game feels good, that's what matters. People are just going to use this as a scapegoat when they perform poorly.

ScOULaris

Since this kind of thing varies on a per-game and pre-engine basis, what are you all doing to get minimal input lag without tearing in Overwatch?

For me the in-game vsync adds tons of input lag, so I keep that off. If I limit the frames to my refresh rate (60) via my Crimson driver settings, there is less input lag than I get with vsync but more than there is when running an uncapped framerate. There's also some noticeable tearing. When running at a mostly stable 100fps there is hardly any input lag at all thanks to the higher input sampling from the game, and tearing is slightly less noticeable because any two frames hitting the screen out of sync are similar enough in content to not show obvious tearing as often.

But there's no solution I've come across that gives me a smooth image with no tearing or input latency, and that's a real shame because the game's art style deserves to be displayed smoothly.

deoee

If the game feels good, that's what matters. People are just going to use this as a scapegoat when they perform poorly.

No not really.

This really is a gamechanger.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
You guys realize that the vast majority of the people playing Overwatch don't even know what 20 tick means?

Ozium

Since this kind of thing varies on a per-game and pre-engine basis, what are you all doing to get minimal input lag without tearing in Overwatch?

For me the in-game vsync adds tons of input lag, so I keep that off. If I limit the frames to my refresh rate (60) via my Crimson driver settings, there is less input lag than I get with vsync but more than there is when running an uncapped framerate. There's also some noticeable tearing. When running at a mostly stable 100fps there is hardly any input lag at all thanks to the higher input sampling from the game, and tearing is slightly less noticeable because any two frames hitting the screen out of sync are similar enough in content to not show obvious tearing as often.

But there's no solution I've come across that gives me a smooth image with no tearing or input latency, and that's a real shame because the game's art style deserves to be displayed smoothly.

borderless window

whats wrong with borderless windows for that triple buffering

Except it's not a scapegoat? It was a common problem during the beta.

I still don't.

"Tick rate is the frequency with which the server updates the game state. This is measured in Hertz. When a server has a tick rate of 64, it means that it is capable of sending packets to clients at most 64 times per second. These packets contain updates to the game state, including things like player and object locations. The length of a tick is just its duration in milliseconds. For example, 64 tick would be 15.6ms, 20 tick would be 50ms, 10 tick 100ms, etc."

^^

Tecnniqe

Banned

Thats the dumbest excuse ever.

Tick rate can literally change how the game pans out.
In a fast game like this its really necessary when you get into higher ranked plays and hinge on millisecond decisions.

Fucking QUAKE had higher.
Even TF2 had like 100 tick at launch a decade ago.

You guys realize that the vast majority of the people playing Overwatch don't even know what 20 tick means?

Already bought my digital copy. Played the beta. Waiting for the game to officially go live... and I have no idea what 20 tick server whatever means...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom