• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Someone please start a thread about tickrate because this is becoming the second most annoying thing after Bastion complaints

ok, let's recap, people get annoyed when you talk about fan art, cosplay, Bastion, waifus and now tickrate.... so are we even allowed to discuss anything in here anymore? or do you wanna see only "OMFG LESS THAN 5 HOURS LEFT BEST GAME EVER BLIZZGODZZ HYPEEEEE"? posts? because if the answer is yes THAT would be annoying but IMO tickrate discussion is perfectly fine.

TheYanger

What's bullshitty about it ?

How is this bullshit?

It affects everyone playing the game and should not be ignored.

The implication with reducing the argument to that picture, is that somehow that character is warping in and out of existence between those points. Like you have literally 15% as many opportunities to shoot your target with 20 tickrate vs 128. That's not true in the least.
The tickrate is only affecting how often the server calculates new actions and happenings. So for example if you hit shift at 0.0001 seconds and I hit left click at 0.0005 seconds, those would LIKELY be within the same tick and effectively happen simultaneously. Higher tickrate makes that slightly less likely, but it doesn't affect things in any way like what the picture is showing. In the example of the picture, that character jumps and moves forward. The only calculation that is happening there is one for the jump and one for the forward momentum. So there would be a 0.05 second window AT MOST where you might have jumped and the server hasn't decided that you jumped yet, once it decides that you've jumped it's tracking that information 100% 'correctly' to you the player regardless of when you hit it within that tick, the tick is just when it's kind of screenshotting what commands its received in that 0.05 second window and executing all of them as they were received. So like, you jump at 0.03 seconds, it doesn't tick until 0.05, now the server says 'yes you jumped at 0.03 seconds' and sends all of that to everyone else, now EVERYONE sees you jumped at 0.03 seconds and all of them are tracking you 100% correctly, the period of time where that wasn't the case was 0.02 seconds between when you hit space and when the server ticked, effectively. Once the movement is going, there's no like stuttering on the servers end, there's no invisible ghosting where you can't be shot between ticks or anything asinine like that. The server is sending movement directions to people, not static images of where people are standing at every tick. If I hold W, the server is not going to be wrong, other players aren't going to be wrong, nothing is 'wrong'. The difference between 20 tickrate and 128 tickrate for the movement in that screenshot would be infinitesimally small, and it would only occur at the exact moment the player hit spacebar to jump. You would never miss your shot because of it. the Latency of the internet is vastly larger than the slight difference in tickrate, for example.

Obviously a faster one is better, and the more rapid changing movements you make the more likely the tickrate is toc ause a problem, but I feel like almost everyone that posts about it is basically talking out of their ass. I'm not an expert by any stretch, hell someone that REALLY knows this stuff might come tear me apart, but I know enough to point out the stupidity of the picture. The reason you get shot behind a wall is because of latency tolerance and Blizzard programming the game to favor the shooter. When your client disagrees with the person shooting you, barring you using a survival ability which are coded to supercede this rule, or someone being too far outside of the grace period for latency tolerance, the server is going to favor the person taking the shot. This is because as much as it sucks to die or geet hooked around a corner slight, it sucks a lot more to KNOW you hit a shot and keep having the server say 'nah'.

IzzyF3

Does anyone know if the cosmetic unlocks are cross compatible between platforms? I'm thinking of getting a PS 4 version now and maybe a PC version later, but I don't want any unlocks to be platform specific.

I've been through this discussion for a couple of games now (Battlefield 4, Rainbow Six: Siege, CS:GO)

Looking forward to 200 pages of tickrate discussion interspersed with gameplay impressions.

sigh

The balance discussion will be a bastion of discussion for all Overwatch players, don't worry.

Manoko

Ah ok so higher ticks means less bull shit deaths

Exactly.

The implication with reducing the argument to that picture, is that somehow that character is warping in and out of existence between those points. Like you have literally 15% as many opportunities to shoot your target with 20 tickrate vs 128. That's not true in the least.
The tickrate is only affecting how often the server calculates new actions and happenings. So for example if you hit shift at 0.0001 seconds and I hit left click at 0.0005 seconds, those would LIKELY be within the same tick and effectively happen simultaneously. Higher tickrate makes that slightly less likely, but it doesn't affect things in any way like what the picture is showing. In the example of the picture, that character jumps and moves forward. The only calculation that is happening there is one for the jump and one for the forward momentum. So there would be a 0.05 second window AT MOST where you might have jumped and the server hasn't decided that you jumped yet, once it decides that you've jumped it's tracking that information 100% 'correctly' to you the player regardless of when you hit it within that tick, the tick is just when it's kind of screenshotting what commands its received in that 0.05 second window and executing all of them as they were received. So like, you jump at 0.03 seconds, it doesn't tick until 0.05, now the server says 'yes you jumped at 0.03 seconds' and sends all of that to everyone else, now EVERYONE sees you jumped at 0.03 seconds and all of them are tracking you 100% correctly, the period of time where that wasn't the case was 0.02 seconds between when you hit space and when the server ticked, effectively. Once the movement is going, there's no like stuttering on the servers end, there's no invisible ghosting where you can't be shot between ticks or anything asinine like that. The server is sending movement directions to people, not static images of where people are standing at every tick. If I hold W, the server is not going to be wrong, other players aren't going to be wrong, nothing is 'wrong'. The difference between 20 tickrate and 128 tickrate for the movement in that screenshot would be infinitesimally small, and it would only occur at the exact moment the player hit spacebar to jump. You would never miss your shot because of it. the Latency of the internet is vastly larger than the slight difference in tickrate, for example.

Obviously a faster one is better, and the more rapid changing movements you make the more likely the tickrate is toc ause a problem, but I feel like almost everyone that posts about it is basically talking out of their ass. I'm not an expert by any stretch, hell someone that REALLY knows this stuff might come tear me apart, but I know enough to point out the stupidity of the picture. The reason you get shot behind a wall is because of latency tolerance and Blizzard programming the game to favor the shooter. When your client disagrees with the person shooting you, barring you using a survival ability which are coded to supercede this rule, or someone being too far outside of the grace period for latency tolerance, the server is going to favor the person taking the shot. This is because as much as it sucks to die or geet hooked around a corner slight, it sucks a lot more to KNOW you hit a shot and keep having the server say 'nah'.

You delivered on the explanation, so I take back what I said.

Anyhow, higher tickrate allows for everyone to enjoy the game, no matter the skill level.
Especially for ranked, more than 20Hz is needed !

Permanently A

Does anyone know if the cosmetic unlocks are cross compatible between platforms? I'm thinking of getting a PS 4 version now and maybe a PC version later, but I don't want any unlocks to be platform specific.

I doubt it, I don't think there is battle.net accounts on console

So tickrate is basically the competitive FPS equivalent of input lag in fighting games.

That sounds shitty. Is it something that can be fixed through an update?

Not really, you can't equate it to input lag like that. I'm not qualified enough in my knowledge of tick rate and other such netcodey things to give a better explanation, but tick rate is not comparable to input lag.

Zomba13

Ah ok so higher ticks means less bull shit deaths

PRetty much. Like how you could be running to cover, on your screen get behind cover but still die even though you should've been safe and stopped taking damage from the Bastion or Soldier 76 because the server says you actually died before you got to cover but on your side (because of the lower tick rate) it looked like you were safe. On a high tick server you would probably still if that scenario played out the same, it's just you would die before getting to the cover on your screen and less likely to go "THATS BULLSHIT!" because you wouldn't have made it to the cover on your side.

ok, let's recap, people get annoyed when you talk about fan art, cosplay, Bastion, waifus and now tickrate.... so are we even allowed to discuss anything in here anymore? or do you wanna see only "OMFG LESS THAN 5 HOURS LEFT BEST GAME EVER BLIZZGODZZ HYPEEEEE"? posts? because if the answer is yes THAT would be annoying but IMO tickrate discussion is perfectly fine.

It's the OT echo chamber effect. You can only say nice things about the game in the OT otherwise you're a hater who should start your own thread.

Mugenjin

Reasons for bullshit deaths in order of importance:

player's inability to recognize that even 60 tick would not have saved them >>>>> latency issues of players/specific implementation of lag compensation/favoring the shooter/high leniency towards high ping players >>> tickrate

But it's easier to just blame tickrate.

Anyhow, higher tickrate allows for everyone to enjoy the game, no matter the skill level.
Especially for ranked, more than 20Hz is needed !

While true, (I assume) this would cost Blizz more money.

I'm not sure how many servers Valve runs for things like TF2, CSGO, etc, but they all run at 66. At the VERY LEAST Blizz should be capable of running competitive at 60.

XenoRaven

Tickrate is a flavor of the month buzzword that people latch onto without understanding what it really means. The discussion of it makes no provision for how enjoyable the game actually is. People just harp on this one thing because they read somewhere that the tickrate is "bad".

Zomba13

dang was hoping for some private servers with fun mods and stuff like tf2, I'll probably wait a bit to pick it up then

If this game had mod support/custom server stuff (like TF2 and CS) then this could easily be the greatest multiplayer FPS. Imagine people making crazy maps for specific characters, like some crazy platform levels for Genji, sniper tower battles for the snipers, prop hunts(!) etc.

Tickrate is a flavor of the month buzzword that people latch onto without understanding what it really means. The discussion of it makes no provision for how enjoyable the game actually is. People just harp on this one thing because they read somewhere that the tickrate is "bad".

It's one of those things where it being better just makes the game better. If it was higher then the people who don't care probably wouldn't even know it (though might feel things be more responsive/snappier/less "unfair" deaths and ability pops not going off) but those that care would. Like, why not have it higher for those that care?

-MD-

Or they played the beta.

AEREC

Wonder what other modes Blizz will add to the game later...with all the lore built for the game seems kinda odd to just have a few MP only modes.

Im guessing a horde mode or some other similar scenario will be added later.

deoee

Ernsthaft?

OVDRobo

Personally I couldn't give less of a damn about tickrate and I'm not sure how relevant it is outside of the most serious of environments such as high level tournament play where actual money is on the line, but I won't complain about anyone up-in-arms about it. I'm sure plenty of people would notice a subtle difference if it was upped, even if they wouldn't know what the difference was and put it down to something abstract like 'game feel'

If it bothers you then let your voice be heard. I'll be sucking at this game at midnight tonight regardless of whether it's 20hz or higher.

Boogdud

Did anyone get an amazon digital code if you ordered the physical version? Just curious. I saw reports that they were supposed to send the code as well as the physical box.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Been going crazy at work, the struggle is real. PCGAF better be ready cause we're gonna be going hard tonight! :D

Even with the double boxed shipping and hard inner box my CE came with a big ass dent to one corner. UPS could you just not?

Really wish I didn't open it up right away so I could have gone to BB to see if they have any in stock in store to exchange...

It's one of those things where it being better just makes the game better. If it was higher then the people who don't care probably wouldn't even know it (though might feel things be more responsive/snappier/less "unfair" deaths and ability pops not going off) but those that care would. Like, why not have it higher for those that care?

The bandwidth ain't gonna pay itself

MrHoot

While true, (I assume) this would cost Blizz more money.

I'm not sure how many servers Valve runs for things like TF2, CSGO, etc, but they all run at 66. At the VERY LEAST Blizz should be capable of running competitive at 60.

At this point I don't think "costing money" is something blizzard is very concerned with.

There's no real excuse as to why it's not running at a 60 tick right now nor would there be a downside to upgrade it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can we have a discussion without resorting to maligning people's skill levels or opinions? There are valid reasons for wanting a 60 tickrate server, and valid reasons for not thinking it's necessary. I'm sick and tired of people getting on their high horses and pretending like everyone on the other side of the argument is an idiot who can't think straight.

This whole tickrate thing is like such an overblown thing tht detractors have latched onto. To put it simply, tickrate is to overwatch as emails are to hillary clinton. The game plays fine.

Permanently A

This whole tickrate thing is like such an overblown thing tht detractors have latched onto. To put it simply, tickrate is to overwatch as emails are to hillary clinton. The game plays fine.

the game plays fine but it could play better. that's the whole point of the tickrate argument and I don't see anything wrong with it

On the discussion of tickrate... as long as it's improved enough that it doesn't feel like I'm being killed around corners, I'll be good.

Too many times in beta (before they announced their improved netcode) I just hated being dead when I KNEW I was behind cover, only to see the killcam of me being no where near it for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom