• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
tr2_100.jpg

red team will lose anyway in this image cause they all picked soldier 76

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Overwatch favors the shooter and has motion interpolation on the client side so wouldn't aiming/shooting between ticks be based on the client side interpolation anyway? If that's the case then the "running behind the wall to dodge the bullet" has nothing to do with tick rate and more about ping, right?

People are acting like the hit boxes are bouncing around at 20hz like the tick rate and I'm not convinced that's happening.

MKAllDay

If the tick rate is the same for everyone, why does it matter? It doesn't give you any advantage or disadvantage over another player. If everyone is on a level playing field, what's the problem?

Why do they have a regulation for how much air needs to be in an NBA basketball? I mean if everyone in the game has to attempt to dribble a deflated ball, why does it matter? It doesn't give you any advantage or disadvantage over another player.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Last time I say that for today: guys it is not enough to write yourself into the spread sheet. You need to add people (like me. I'm a lovable European who plays on PC)

So add me, add others! ^_^

Interfectum

Overwatch favors the shooter and has motion interpolation on the client side so wouldn't aiming/shooting between ticks be based on the client side interpolation anyway? If that's the case then the "running behind the wall to dodge the bullet" has nothing to do with tick rate and more about ping, right?

The guy on Youtube said it was a tick rate issue. He seems like an expert so I'm going with that being the sole issue.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Im being sarcastic. But really, complaining about tickrate is such a nitpicky thing. Who cares if csgo is 60 tickrate? Overwatch isnt CSGO.

Wanting consistent gameplay is nit picking? OK then. It's like some of you either have never played an online FPS before or you're just compelled to bury your head in the sand and make excuses when anything that's less than 100% positive is posted regarding the game. We're all hyped for the game, we all love it but it could definitely be a lot better in this area and putting your fingers in your ears while yelling "LA LA LA it's fine" isn't helping anyone nor the game itself.

Why do they have a regulation for how much air needs to be in an NBA basketball? I mean if everyone in the game has to attempt to dribble a deflated ball, why does it matter? It doesn't give you any advantage or disadvantage over another player.

Perfect.

Keits

Developer
this. also the average reaction time for someone is like .15 seconds. there's a few ticks that happen between you seeing something, and you hitting a button to react to that thing.

The average reaction time for humans is 0.25 seconds to a visual stimulus, 0.17 for an audio stimulus, and 0.15 seconds for a touch stimulus.

At peak you an expect an extremely well trained reaction to visual stimulus in about 224ms, but this is rare and requires focus on one thing to the detriment of focus on other things.

Again, none of this is how it works. The game doesn't send still states of where you're located, and the server doesn't interpret the data that way. They send information about where you are, but also where you're moving, what speed, what direction, etc. So everyhitng that isn't a CHANGE in direction is 100% accurate at all times. Even if you're spamming left/right as fast as a human is capable of the tickrate is only going to cause very very tiny windows of inaccuracy. All of these pictures are wrong. The only points in this entire screenshot setup where the tickrate could even POSSIBLY make a difference, are when the quake guy turns left, hits jump, and turns left again when he lands. That's it. Every other fraction of time represented there might as well be a blur/pure line with no gaps, in any of the screenshots no matter the tickrate.

The game estimates movement and fills in the blank, but it can't do this for abities. It's still possible to wraithform or cryo-freeze and die a third of a second later. Or stick someone with pulse bomb before death and have it disappear a third of a second later.

Nothing to see here mods *casual whistling*.

Wanting consistent gameplay is nit picking? OK then. It's like some of you either have never played an online FPS before or you're just compelled to bury your head in the sand and make excuses when anything that's less than 100% positive is posted regarding the game. We're all hyped for the game, we all love it but it could definitely be a lot better in this area and putting your fingers in your ears while yelling "LA LA LA it's fine" isn't helping anyone nor the game itself.

Perfect.

Fucking bingo, right on the goddamn nose there.

deoee

If tickrate is not the problem but some other thing, then why did I notice a HUUUGE difference in Battlefield 4 since they updated the tickrate?

Or even the difference between CS:GO servers is pretty huge IMO.

Amzin

Again, none of this is how it works. The game doesn't send still states of where you're located, and the server doesn't interpret the data that way. They send information about where you are, but also where you're moving, what speed, what direction, etc. So everyhitng that isn't a CHANGE in direction is 100% accurate at all times. Even if you're spamming left/right as fast as a human is capable of the tickrate is only going to cause very very tiny windows of inaccuracy. All of these pictures are wrong. The only points in this entire screenshot setup where the tickrate could even POSSIBLY make a difference, are when the quake guy turns left, hits jump, and turns left again when he lands. That's it. Every other fraction of time represented there might as well be a blur/pure line with no gaps, in any of the screenshots no matter the tickrate.

This description might be a little obtuse for a lot of people, but it's accurate. In all those examples of tick rates shown, if you're shooting slightly behind the target, you will miss in all those tick rates. The only time the tick rate would have any potential effect is as TheYanger said, when there's sudden changes of movement in a small amount of time, and even then MOST times it will not be fast/sudden enough in regards to whatever another player is doing to matter. Will it occasionally? Sure. Will people attribute things falsely to tick rate? Absolutely. Will tick rate ACTUALLY affect the game play of 95%+ of players? Nope.

IvanJ

Banned
Didn't touch the beta, but I'll be picking this up today. I'm pretty much going in blind outside of seeing a few trailers and gameplay snippets a while back. Should be fun.
That's me as well.
Waiting for 01:00 to play the game for the first time, a couple of matches before sleep. Until then, I'm reading up on characters, their strengths and weaknesses etc.
Plenty of time to get good in the next weeks and months, I feel that this game could occupy some 300-400 hours of my free time.

Day 1 servers gonna be stable and not laggy, right???

Beta servers held up nicely with 9 million players. I kinda doubt there will be that many on launch day/night.

There weren't 9 million people playing at the same time though, they are more likely to get a surge of players when the game unlocks.

I think it'll be fine though. They've had a lot of time to stress test

Good point. Hoping for the best.

Beta servers held up nicely with 9 million players. I kinda doubt there will be that many on launch day/night.

There weren't 9 million people playing at the same time though, they are more likely to get a surge of players when the game unlocks.

I think it'll be fine though. They've had a lot of time to stress test

LordofPwn

The average reaction time for humans is 0.25 seconds to a visual stimulus, 0.17 for an audio stimulus, and 0.15 seconds for a touch stimulus.

At peak you an expect an extremely well trained reaction to visual stimulus in about 224ms, but this is rare and requires focus on one thing to the detriment of focus on other things.

the game has audio stimuli too, important audio stimuli, like hearing a reaper teleport noise when you're scoped in as widow. either way my point stands.

I have played shooters over the Internet for over 20 years. Have you ever tried to play the original Unreal Tournament across the Atlantic using a 56K modem? I have. Don't talk to me about "bullshit deaths" in 2016 with your 50ms RTTs and 0% packet loss.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think people hear "20 tick" and blame every problem of the game on that, regardless of whether or not the issue is the tick rate. They hear everybody complain about tick rate and so they immediately think they're an expert.

Tubie

Just read that the tick rate is 20hz... from my beta experience I knew for sure it wasn't higher than 30, but 20... damn.

I'll still enjoy it, but that for sure is unacceptably low. Even BF4 right now is 60hz and that game has way more shit happening in a 64 player map.

Xeteh

You call Dave Lang a monster and Keits shows up. Its like a bat signal. To the wrong thread. Close enough.

I see people complaining about the OT title, but are there any Game of Thrones fans who don't like it?

I got the reference, but I don't see how Overwatch relates to GoT at all. Personally I think it's one of the worst OT titles I've seen in a while. No offense to whoever came up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom