• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn my bad if this has been covered already but if I played the Beta and still have it downloaded, do I need to download the full game still? I'm looking at battle.net and it doesn't have a DL option, just says "play game"

Tecnniqe

Banned
The implication with reducing the argument to that picture, is that somehow that character is warping in and out of existence between those points. Like you have literally 15% as many opportunities to shoot your target with 20 tickrate vs 128. That's not true in the least.
The tickrate is only affecting how often the server calculates new actions and happenings. So for example if you hit shift at 0.0001 seconds and I hit left click at 0.0005 seconds, those would LIKELY be within the same tick and effectively happen simultaneously. Higher tickrate makes that slightly less likely, but it doesn't affect things in any way like what the picture is showing. In the example of the picture, that character jumps and moves forward. The only calculation that is happening there is one for the jump and one for the forward momentum. So there would be a 0.05 second window AT MOST where you might have jumped and the server hasn't decided that you jumped yet, once it decides that you've jumped it's tracking that information 100% 'correctly' to you the player regardless of when you hit it within that tick, the tick is just when it's kind of screenshotting what commands its received in that 0.05 second window and executing all of them as they were received. So like, you jump at 0.03 seconds, it doesn't tick until 0.05, now the server says 'yes you jumped at 0.03 seconds' and sends all of that to everyone else, now EVERYONE sees you jumped at 0.03 seconds and all of them are tracking you 100% correctly, the period of time where that wasn't the case was 0.02 seconds between when you hit space and when the server ticked, effectively. Once the movement is going, there's no like stuttering on the servers end, there's no invisible ghosting where you can't be shot between ticks or anything asinine like that. The server is sending movement directions to people, not static images of where people are standing at every tick. If I hold W, the server is not going to be wrong, other players aren't going to be wrong, nothing is 'wrong'. The difference between 20 tickrate and 128 tickrate for the movement in that screenshot would be infinitesimally small, and it would only occur at the exact moment the player hit spacebar to jump. You would never miss your shot because of it. the Latency of the internet is vastly larger than the slight difference in tickrate, for example.

Obviously a faster one is better, and the more rapid changing movements you make the more likely the tickrate is toc ause a problem, but I feel like almost everyone that posts about it is basically talking out of their ass. I'm not an expert by any stretch, hell someone that REALLY knows this stuff might come tear me apart, but I know enough to point out the stupidity of the picture. The reason you get shot behind a wall is because of latency tolerance and Blizzard programming the game to favor the shooter. When your client disagrees with the person shooting you, barring you using a survival ability which are coded to supercede this rule, or someone being too far outside of the grace period for latency tolerance, the server is going to favor the person taking the shot. This is because as much as it sucks to die or geet hooked around a corner slight, it sucks a lot more to KNOW you hit a shot and keep having the server say 'nah'.

Tick rate is the frequency with which the server updates the game state (player location, objects blabla). A lower tickrate increases latency in the synchronization of the game simulation between the server and clients.

In short: The tick rate is how fast your computer can receive and give information from the server basically.

Interpolation is smoothing out the movement of an object moving between two known points (ticks)

If you take 64 vs 20 the largest delay due to the difference in tick rate that you could possibly perceive is 35ms. The average would be 17.5ms. While average Joe probably wont notice it, more experienced player will notice the difference between 10, 20 and 60.

Here is 5
tr2_005.jpg

tr2_020.jpg

tr2_040.jpg

tr2_100.jpg

Damn my bad if this has been covered already but if I played the Beta and still have it downloaded, do I need to download the full game still? I'm looking at battle.net and it doesn't have a DL option, just says "play game"
If it says Play Game, you're good to go. There was at least one small patch at some point, but otherwise beta assets seem to be most of the trick.

I don't know what's going on with these huge installs on consoles.

Babalu.

couldn't move my order up. gave me $15 for my troubles. oh well. i'll be waiting until friday i guess....

i don't understand how this stuff happens. i pre-ordered on apr 22 with prime release day delivery for may 24, which got moved up to may 23.

the morning of may 23, i receive an email saying it would be delayed to may 27. i'm pretty pissed. they offered me $15 off to compensate but honestly i don't care about that, just want the game in my hands today.

did your credit card get declined or anything? I ordered from amazon like in november. But when they finally charged my card on friday, it was declined. I chose another debit card that wasnt expired and it worked fine, except it delayed delivery date until thurs/friday,

I talked to customer service in chat and told them i ordered with release day delivery so they bumped me up to next day delivery and it should be at my house waiting right now.

talk to customer service. but i did this on friday so it might be too late.

i would cancel and buy digital, unless your getting CE or something

Tickrate is a flavor of the month buzzword that people latch onto without understanding what it really means. The discussion of it makes no provision for how enjoyable the game actually is. People just harp on this one thing because they read somewhere that the tickrate is "bad".

XenoRaven, pls.

Overwatch is a very good game, but it does no good to anybody to try and claim that it's perfect, and that any given issue people might have with it is the result of ignorance or bandwagoning.

galvenize

For all those on PC wanting to change the language of the game (while keeping english text), you can do so by going into the Overwatch settings of the Battle.net Launcher.

WAN SHOTTO WAN KIRU

deoee

How people can be annoyed by the tickrate discussion and make stupid arguments like "casual" and "skill ceiling" is beyond me.

LordofPwn

The implication with reducing the argument to that picture, is that somehow that character is warping in and out of existence between those points. Like you have literally 15% as many opportunities to shoot your target with 20 tickrate vs 128. That's not true in the least.
The tickrate is only affecting how often the server calculates new actions and happenings. So for example if you hit shift at 0.0001 seconds and I hit left click at 0.0005 seconds, those would LIKELY be within the same tick and effectively happen simultaneously. Higher tickrate makes that slightly less likely, but it doesn't affect things in any way like what the picture is showing. In the example of the picture, that character jumps and moves forward. The only calculation that is happening there is one for the jump and one for the forward momentum. So there would be a 0.05 second window AT MOST where you might have jumped and the server hasn't decided that you jumped yet, once it decides that you've jumped it's tracking that information 100% 'correctly' to you the player regardless of when you hit it within that tick, the tick is just when it's kind of screenshotting what commands its received in that 0.05 second window and executing all of them as they were received. So like, you jump at 0.03 seconds, it doesn't tick until 0.05, now the server says 'yes you jumped at 0.03 seconds' and sends all of that to everyone else, now EVERYONE sees you jumped at 0.03 seconds and all of them are tracking you 100% correctly, the period of time where that wasn't the case was 0.02 seconds between when you hit space and when the server ticked, effectively. Once the movement is going, there's no like stuttering on the servers end, there's no invisible ghosting where you can't be shot between ticks or anything asinine like that. The server is sending movement directions to people, not static images of where people are standing at every tick. If I hold W, the server is not going to be wrong, other players aren't going to be wrong, nothing is 'wrong'. The difference between 20 tickrate and 128 tickrate for the movement in that screenshot would be infinitesimally small, and it would only occur at the exact moment the player hit spacebar to jump. You would never miss your shot because of it. the Latency of the internet is vastly larger than the slight difference in tickrate, for example.

Obviously a faster one is better, and the more rapid changing movements you make the more likely the tickrate is toc ause a problem, but I feel like almost everyone that posts about it is basically talking out of their ass. I'm not an expert by any stretch, hell someone that REALLY knows this stuff might come tear me apart, but I know enough to point out the stupidity of the picture. The reason you get shot behind a wall is because of latency tolerance and Blizzard programming the game to favor the shooter. When your client disagrees with the person shooting you, barring you using a survival ability which are coded to supercede this rule, or someone being too far outside of the grace period for latency tolerance, the server is going to favor the person taking the shot. This is because as much as it sucks to die or geet hooked around a corner slight, it sucks a lot more to KNOW you hit a shot and keep having the server say 'nah'.
this. also the average reaction time for someone is like .15 seconds. there's a few ticks that happen between you seeing something, and you hitting a button to react to that thing.

U2NUMB

I hardly touched the beta (I did like what I played) but somehow I have both the PC and X1 versions pre ordered. I hate the hype machine!!

Matt Frost

This whole tickrate thing is like such an overblown thing tht detractors have latched onto. To put it simply, tickrate is to overwatch as emails are to hillary clinton. The game plays fine.

Yeah, overblown to say the least. Most of them were playing the beta and loved it... until today when they learned that is 20 tics, now the game sucks. That is the mindset, people. Humanity can only save themselves lol

I really don't even want to engage in this conversation to be honest. And I have no idea what it is that infuriates me about the tick rate thing. But can someone explain this aspect of it to me:

If the tick rate is the same for everyone, why does it matter? It doesn't give you any advantage or disadvantage over another player. If everyone is on a level playing field, what's the problem?

I really don't even want to engage in this conversation to be honest. And I have no idea what it is that infuriates me about the tick rate thing. But can someone explain this aspect of it to me:

If the tick rate is the same for everyone, why does it matter? It doesn't give you any advantage or disadvantage over another player. If everyone is on a level playing field, what's the problem?

Read the last few pages, there's some good posts about that.

Yeah, overblown to say the least. Most of them were playing the beta and loved it... until today when they learned that is 20 tics, now the game sucks. That is the mindset, people. Humanity can only save themselves lol

The tickrate debate has been around for months. Lot of people expected some changes for the release, and apparently it's not happening (yet?), that's why you hear more about that today.

deoee

The problem is you see different things on your end than the other players.

Interfectum

It's another example of players know enough to be dangerous and they now have something to blame their loss on. It's not their fault they got killed, it's the tick rate.

Matt Frost

People like to complain and show their complains to everyone

Just play and enjoy the game xD

this. also the average reaction time for someone is like .15 seconds. there's a few ticks that happen between you seeing something, and you hitting a button to react to that thing.
I think it's more like .25 of a second. So about seven times longer than the maximum difference between a 20Hz and 60Hz server.

The problem is you see different things on your end than the other players.
This will always, always be the case until everyone is sitting in the same room on one big LAN. And the differences are overwhelmingly caused by round-trip time, not tickrate.

Manoko

People like to complain and show their complains to everyone

Just play and enjoy the game xD

So that the game gets better maybe ...?
Are we supposed to not voice criticism ?

It's another example of players know enough to be dangerous and they now have something to blame their loss on. It's not their fault they got killed, it's the tick rate.

Situation when it was the tickrate's fault happened during the beta, and I can guarantee that at high level play, it has a big impact.

I'll be honest in saying that I expect to see a lot of posts where people complain about dying purely due to "tick rate".

There are so many surface thought level posts that don't seem to demonstrate any kind of profound understanding of the subject that this seems likely.

FinKL

PRetty much. Like how you could be running to cover, on your screen get behind cover but still die even though you should've been safe and stopped taking damage from the Bastion or Soldier 76 because the server says you actually died before you got to cover but on your side (because of the lower tick rate) it looked like you were safe. On a high tick server you would probably still if that scenario played out the same, it's just you would die before getting to the cover on your screen and less likely to go "THATS BULLSHIT!" because you wouldn't have made it to the cover on your side.

It's the OT echo chamber effect. You can only say nice things about the game in the OT otherwise you're a hater who should start your own thread.

The thing is, you are still on the opponent's screen for the same amount of time with low OR high tick rate so saying "I wouldn't of gotten hit if the tick rate is higher" is BS. With a low tick rate (frequency of position being updated by server) it would APPEAR you are behind cover when you get sniped. The higher the tick rate, the more likely where you are on your screen is where opponents perceive you to be.

HariKari

There's only problems when the functionality of the game is impeded by a low tick rate. Overwatch is clearly in a playable state and you don't get boned by the system very often, so it's not a big deal.

Higher would be better, ideally. There's really no need to downplay it or explain it away.

Haines

Banned
Tick rate discussion will go away when people are having fun playing. When we can talk about game play and such instead.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Latency in the synchronization of the game simulation is equal for everyone so its OK!

Tickrate is a buzzword people use to discredit overwatch when they cant explain why its a bad game.

Usually when presented with questions on why some people think Overwatch is a bad game, they mumble about "muh tickrate."

Im being sarcastic. But really, complaining about tickrate is such a nitpicky thing. Who cares if csgo is 60 tickrate? Overwatch isnt CSGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom