• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I will just be the Overwatch League guy for today I guess. Some more news from an exclusive interview with a League commissioner and the owner of NRG via Polygon's Overwatch esports website https://www.heroesneverdie.com/plat...atch-league-announcement-details-teams-cities

-They can announce 7 Teams as of now and more may be added in the near future.
-Teams can earn money through local sponsorships and there is league-wide revenue sharing. (My take: this makes OWL a safer investment)
-Season 2 will have teams traveling around the world in a series of home and away games
-Teams will be able to license up to 5 amateur events in their territory per year (Potentially huge news for the new scene IMO)
-No relegation
-It's up to the players if they want to form a union, apparently

Team announcements are already starting to come out I think, I saw NRG make a short video saying they will represent NoCal on my Twitter a few minutes ago.

Most of the Overwatch League info that I posted is now official. Two more things via the Overwatch League press release https://overwatchleague.com/en-gb/news/20890515

-Games will be played each Thursday, Friday, and Saturday during the season.
-Players will be able to support teams through special in-game items and 50% of the revenue generated through these items will go into the shared revenue pool for all the teams.

-Not in the report above but I saw reported elsewhere that Season 1 of Overwatch League will start in December, which makes sense as we will have Contenders Season 1, World Cup, and then Blizzcon taking place in the three months leading up to December.

7 teams does not sound enough honestly.

There's only 7 teams to announce as of now. There's still months to go until this league launches and I would be shocked if we didn't get at least one more team to start. Activision itself says they envision the league having 28 teams around the globe eventually.

How does contenders tie into the OWL again?

When the League launches it will function as a farm system for teams to locate talent and sign them to their rosters. In the meantime it will serve as a place for owners to look to sign teams and as the major NA LAN series for the next few months.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ah alright, I was hoping that it would be like an outsider team system.

I dunno, I'm like half-skeptical and half-hopeful at this. Hope it works out in the long run though.

feel

-Players will be able to support teams through special in-game items and 50% of the revenue generated through these items will go into the shared revenue pool for all the teams.
Wonder if this means people will be able to spend real money on specific individual items for the first time.

Gorillaz

I would pick the season winston becomes the favorite to start learning him. I always wanted to get a understanding on his kit for myself for months since Ive pretty much became a tank "main"

I'm glad I was right about basically every point I had to argue with idiots on the Competitive subreddit. This isn't a new occurence but always a welcome one.

At the very least he was a 100% in the most recent pro meta report.

This was only able to capture one tournament with a limited map pool but still.

The Meta reports are less useful now than they have ever been. With so few tournaments to play and the scene generally stagnating (purposefully, as well) in anticipation of the Overwatch League, teams and players aren't going to want to take risks on what few tournaments they do play.

ZugZug123

I don't mind Winston being in every match, but it seems a lot of people who don't know how to play him are picking him resulting in a dead team mate (and maybe your only tank) 10sec into the match on the other side of the map where the rest of the team cannot support or rescue him. Sigh....

exYle

Most of the Overwatch League info that I posted is now official. Two more things via the Overwatch League press release https://overwatchleague.com/en-gb/news/20890515

-Games will be played each Thursday, Friday, and Saturday during the season.

-Not in the report above but I saw reported elsewhere that Season 1 of Overwatch League will start in December, which makes sense as we will have Contenders Season 1, World Cup, and then Blizzcon taking place in the three months leading up to December.

There's only 7 teams to announce as of now. There's still months to go until this league launches and I would be shocked if we didn't get at least one more team to start. Activision itself says they envision the league having 28 teams around the globe eventually.

Pre stoked =)

Hope this all works out

I'm glad I was right about basically every point I had to argue with idiots on the Competitive subreddit. This isn't a new occurence but always a welcome one.

The Meta reports are less useful now than they have ever been. With so few tournaments to play and the scene generally stagnating (purposefully, as well) in anticipation of the Overwatch League, teams and players aren't going to want to take risks on what few tournaments they do play.

I think you're half right. Teams will be less inclined to take risks if there aren't a lot of tournaments happening. However, I would like to believe that if there was a counter to dive, the best players and minds in the world would have found it. It's the reason we have seen a rise in the usage of Sombra, Reaper has seen some use on 2 CP, and there has even been experiments with Mei. I think the meta reports show that you have to dig very deep to find a counter in this meta and in past metas, even if they may exist. I'm conflicted on if that is healthy for the game or not. However, I do think that the game will get more balanced over time as new heroes are introduced with different utilities and different roles. Doomfist might be able to counter dive and change the meta without any balance changes needing to be made. All of this shows how difficult balancing Overwatch can be, and I have pity for the people at Blizzard trying to improve their game balance.

I don't mind Winston being in every match, but it seems a lot of people who don't know how to play him are picking him resulting in a dead team mate (and maybe your only tank) 10sec into the match on the other side of the map where the rest of the team cannot support or rescue him. Sigh....

Even worse when on a koth map and the Mercy flies away with Winston and they're both dead before the first team fight.

xCobalt

Do you guys have any tips on how to time your attacks on genji after he uses deflect? I usually hesitate as the animation nears its end but at that point, the genji player would have probably used swift strike to finish me off.

LiK

Sty did a vid about the potential of OW League lootboxes where you buy them to support teams in a shared revenue pool similar to CS:GO and Dota. *shudders*

Do you guys have any tips on how to time your attacks on genji after he uses deflect? I usually hesitate as the animation nears its end but at that point, the genji player would have probably used swift strike to finish me off.

Depends on what heroes you play. If you're lucky, that Genji player is low on health and retreating instead of attacking.

Just once I'd like to be in a team that stays on the payload or tries to capture points. Just once.

All you have to do, Hanzo, is step forward a few paces and you'll be contesting. That's it. Just one step for..no, you're walking away from it, pal. And we've only got 3 seconds left, quick, go.

Oh never mind. Time is up. But at least you didn't die!

Gorillaz

I don't go off of animations as much as the sound effects. Of the top of my head Genji has like 3 high pinging sounds when he's deflecting in front of you and the last one last for like an extra 2 seconds. It's how I learned to time Mei breaking out of ice to charge her or counter attack since her crackling ice sound gets louder at the end.

The game relies so heavily on audio

exYle

Could just be ignorance on my part, I know nothing about CS.

I just don't like the idea of any more paid for content in the game.

If someone could explain it to me I would appreciate it.

You're probably looking at skins with eSport team logos on it, like digital jerseys

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just once I'd like to be in a team that stays on the payload or tries to capture points. Just once.

All you have to do, Hanzo, is step forward a few paces and you'll be contesting. That's it. Just one step for..no, you're walking away from it, pal. And we've only got 3 seconds left, quick, go.

Oh never mind. Time is up. But at least you didn't die!
That never really bothers me.

I think it takes a lot of awareness to know when to suicide on the point and when to stay alive. It's the most chaotic point of the game, so it's very easy to not know if a teammate is going to take care of it for you, or the clock/overtime meter is running out. And it's probably pretty rare for a suicide to end in a win like that anyway, since your tanks are probably dead if they aren't on the point, and you're not likely to turn the tide as you die on the point.

It seems like a type of recency effect to me, where people inflate the importance of the very first and very last moment, and completely forget about the middle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_position_effect

You see this all the time in professional sports interviews, where the interviewer wants to ask about something that happened at the start or end of a game, and the athlete well versed in the flow of the entire game redirects to something in the middle as the most important moment.

I find it a pretty important for self improvement in any videogame to actively work against falling into that fallacy in self reflecting on why I won or lost a game.

Anne

Watched earlier and thought the same thing, it doesn't sound very good.

Then you don't know what's up with Dota and CSGO. Buying esports cosmetics and other type stuff to directly support teams and prize pools is how they are so big. It's a popular trend and is typically a win-win for everybody involved.

Sty did a vid about the potential of OW League lootboxes where you buy them to support teams in a shared revenue pool similar to CS:GO and Dota. *shudders*

Depends on what heroes you play. If you're lucky, that Genji player is low on health and retreating instead of attacking.

And what is wrong with supporting pro teams? I understand that you do not follow the scene and have no idea how these people contribute to keeping your favorite game alive but seriously, I don't know why are you acting like these lootboxes (which are mostly aimed at normal people who play on PC) are aimed at an insignificant sub-community of the console version LOL.

So supporting people now is *shudder*. Maybe be more considerate? I know you are inconsiderate of people in-game by picking bad heroes that don't go well with the team comp and leaving voice comms, but at least be considerate when it comes to serious stuff like people's jobs and organisations that help Blizzard keep the game alive.

Well, you are not supposed to sit on the choke or poke with Winston on your team. He goes in, you go instantly and focus targets with him. It is better to die all together than stagger; no reason to be an ass and watch your teammates die because you think they are doing something wrong.

Also, if you can't catch up with Winston, you are either not Ana (good pick even though declining in meta but you can give Winston orb), or you have an immobile team. You know, you need mobile DPS; Winston works with D.Va really well and can handle himself without her if he is with Genji and Zen focusing targets (D.Va dives with Winston and helps supports if they call out Tracer and adjust D.Va's position).

Winston is literally in every match! Frustrating, especially if you like to play symmetra.

You think it is fun to play with or against Symmetra? Of course; only your perspective matter LOL.

And what is wrong with supporting pro teams? I understand that you do not follow the scene and have no idea how these people contribute to keeping your favorite game alive but seriously, I don't know why are you acting like these lootboxes (which are mostly aimed at normal people who play on PC) are aimed at an insignificant sub-community of the console version LOL.

So supporting people now is *shudder*. Maybe be more considerate? I know you are inconsiderate of people in-game by picking bad heroes that don't go well with the team comp and leaving voice comms, but at least be considerate when it comes to serious stuff like people's jobs and organisations that help Blizzard keep the game alive.

Damn

Well, you are not supposed to sit on the choke or poke with Winston on your team. He goes in, you go instantly and focus targets with him. It is better to die all together than stagger; no reason to be an ass and watch your teammates die because you think they are doing something wrong.

Also, if you can't catch up with Winston, you are either not Ana (good pick even though declining in meta but you can give Winston orb), or you have an immobile team. You know, you need mobile DPS; Winston works with D.Va really well and can handle himself without her if he is with Genji and Zen focusing targets (D.Va dives with Winston and helps supports if they call out Tracer and adjust D.Va's position).

You think it is fun to play with or against Symmetra? Of course; only your perspective matter LOL.

MonkaS

Did you PM the squad about it? I don't even know how inconsiderate you can be to go against something that doesn't concern your community at all. Then again, I doubt people who blog in the thread and alienate new posters will have any consideration or thoughts about others.

Heck, even people who already post get argued with by some clueless people. I remember someone posting a great meta post concerning the game's team composition and great macro stuff about team fights. Immediately gets argued with by low elo console players. Do you even realize that the post was aimed at people whom the meta concerns? i.e the PC community and high SR people generally and anyone that wants to the play the game properly. Then again, people just complain; most of those who complained about the E-sports items don't even know why they exist LOL.

BTW, OW is in a bad spot because the competitive scene is having issues. Helping E-sports orgs directly contributes to OW's quality and longevity. Instead we get console people shitting on everything including jobs and lives.

Jellie

Damn cyber going in hard on console gaf ��

Remember when Winston was one of the least played heroes? Those were the days.

Remember when everyone in here was going on about Winston needing buffs and a select few said no he's already good just not against the current meta at the time (triple tanks). Then Ana got nerfed and Winston got buffed and here we are.

Cyber no more chill for console gaf.
Only Optimus is the chosen one 😃
Are there any good sites to find people to play Overwatch with on Ps4?
You can ask around here most of the posters are ps4 players if not your best bet is probably reddit

why is it always impossible to rejoin a match after getting booted for some random reason?

In comp?

Im p sure you can rejoin as long as its not in like the first 30-50 seconds or something cause the game cancels for everyone

LiK

My "shudder" was about me not being able to resist giving money for the lootboxes. It had nothing to do with whether I supported the pro players or not. You were offended for no good reason. Good to know you have this stupid elitist attitude about being a PC player and you have this really negative view about me. How about we never speak to each other again? "LOL"

Did you PM the squad about it? I don't even know how inconsiderate you can be to go against something that doesn't concern your community at all. Then again, I doubt people who blog in the thread and alienate new posters will have any consideration or thoughts about others.

Heck, even people who already post get argued with by some clueless people. I remember someone posting a great meta post concerning the game's team composition and great macro stuff about team fights. Immediately gets argued with by low elo console players. Do you even realize that the post was aimed at people whom the meta concerns? i.e the PC community and high SR people generally and anyone that wants to the play the game properly. Then again, people just complain; most of those who complained about the E-sports items don't even know why they exist LOL.

BTW, OW is in a bad spot because the competitive scene is having issues. Helping E-sports orgs directly contributes to OW's quality and longevity. Instead we get console people shitting on everything including jobs and lives.

What I bolded there was not nice, there's no justification for it.

But if that makes you feel cool go for it.

My "shudder" was about me not being able to resist giving money for the lootboxes. It had nothing to do with whether I supported the pro players or not. You were offended for no good reason. Good to know you have this stupid elitist attitude about being a PC player and you have this really negative view about me. How about we never speak to each other again? "LOL"

You have like hundreds of people on your ignore list. I know why you think the thread is a wasteland that only you post in.

Also LOL at "resisting the urge to buy lootboxes". They literally said E-sports/teams textures/skins. You obviously don't like them and won't get them since you don't follow the scene. You just want Junkrat anime skins probably.

Then you don't know what's up with Dota and CSGO. Buying esports cosmetics and other type stuff to directly support teams and prize pools is how they are so big. It's a popular trend and is typically a win-win for everybody involved.

Correct. As I stated above I have no problem with it.

I don't know what's up with any esports, I'm old.

LiK

You have like hundreds of people on your ignore list. I know why you think the thread is a wasteland that only you post in.

Also LOL at "resisting the urge to buy lootboxes". They literally said E-sports/teams textures/skins. You obviously don't like them and won't get them since you don't follow the scene. You just want Junkrat anime skins probably.

What wasteland? Plenty of nice people here to chat with on a daily basis who aren't PC elitists like you. Judging people based on platform and heroes? I'm sure that makes sure you feel great about yourself. Why don't you stick with the Discord? Pulling out a Junk insult? He's not even my most played hero this season, lol. Try again.

Top Bottom