• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

HMD

3 Draws in a row, on hybrid and 2CP maps. In all 3 maps no one managed to capture the first third of the objective.

I'm totally excited for more 2CP maps!

Danj

3 Draws in a row, on hybrid and 2CP maps. In all 3 maps no one managed to capture the first third of the objective.

well they already removed the mode with the most draws, all those draw-lovers gotta go somewhere

TheContact

I've had a few bad Mercy reses lately but in my defense I was playing with a defense hanamura team that wouldn't get on point b, we even lost a tick just because no one was around it.

They are dragging me down.

That sucks about their positioning but don't hold onto res even if you only get one or two it charges really fast and that extra person can make the difference

rulerk1

played 3 comp matches today. Two had leavers on the enemy team (both Hanzo) and the other had a team that decided to tilt and play 6 dps. only until the end did they change but it was too late. They had a good team comp on defense tho. Decided it would only get worse from there so im done for now. My last match had a diamond and a silver against a team of plats and we were still the underdogs. WTF blizz

MY tracer play today was so smooth. Thanks Sinatra!

LAM09

Seems like no matter how well you've been doing in your last few games, you're bound to go on a losing run.

Got paired up with mid Diamond Pharah & Gold Mercy duo. What is this nonsense?!

When is the patch tomorrow?

Normally goes live between 6-8pm GMT.

Fugu

I've gotten 0 draws in my last 100 comp games. I think at the current rate for draws the odds of this happening must be very low indeed.

mellow

ugh I've played something like 15 games this season and 11 of them have been control maps, I absolutely loathe those maps. I think I've lost 80% of them too despite getting gold medals in elims and damage on most of them. You actually have to be pretty well co-ordinated on those maps to win and solo Q is a coin flip.

Oxn

Its funny how in one comp match, im practically called a God Tracer by my team and the enemy team, and the very next, im being told to switch off and im not doing anything.

WhyMe6

2749 last season, peak of 2300 this season.

I can't even get above 2200 now, it's an absolute shit show in competitive on ps4.

Yeah, that's me last season. This season, I was placed at 2000, so now I've got even further to climb. Good luck getting out! I've noticed on weekends it's more of a shitshow, seemingly.

2749 last season, peak of 2300 this season.

I can't even get above 2200 now, it's an absolute shit show in competitive on ps4.

I've climbed to Diamond in every previous Season (and 61 in Season 1, whatever that number means), and I got placed at around 2800 this season, climbed to 2960, fell to 2550, and am back at 2900.

It's all luck. It almost feels that 9/10 Competitive matches are all slot machine pulls, though I do feel that playing on weeknights is a far better alternative to playing on the weekend.

I've climbed to Diamond in every previous Season (and 61 in Season 1, whatever that number means), and I got placed at around 2800 this season, climbed to 2960, fell to 2550, and am back at 2900.

It's all luck. It almost feels that 9/10 Competitive matches are all slot machine pulls, though I do feel that playing on weeknights is a far better alternative to playing on the weekend.

This is true.

I played around 50 games this season, all between 2800-3000. I would say that 80% of the games results were basically decided by the matchmaking, steamrolls with a lot of throwers involved, where you feel like your own play doesn't really matter that much in the end, you can play well or do like the most stupid things ever that the results won't really change.

Blues1990

Last I checked you were somewhere in the lower end of plat. Trust me on this: The sooner you realize that the path of least resistance at that level is to instalock whatever DPS/tank you're best at, the better.

The quality of games in plat is low. Things are better there than in the lower ranks, sure, but they're not good. People at that level constantly make egregious and punishable mistakes; this is to the extent that team composition is actually a pretty small factor in the outcome of the game. Yes, you shouldn't run Junkrat against Pharmercy Zarya, but unless your character choice is profoundly bad it is probably workable. Players in plat trickle relentlessly, which is something that a support can seldom exploit but a dps nearly always can. DPS players are also in a position to exploit poor positioning, risk management, and ult usage, all of which are major problems at that level.

I'm not trying to shit on plat players either since it probably wouldn't be tough for players above my rank to criticize my gameplay, but it is simply fact that the kind of mistakes that people make in plat have far more effect on the game than all but the most ridiculous of character choices. If you think you don't deserve your rating you need to put yourself in a position to take advantage of the mistakes that you see and your contemporaries don't.

Also, use your mic. You shouldn't be allowed to play comp without one.

Dude, I'm not projecting "Gee, I deserve a better rating than the one I currently have." I just want the ratio of my matches to have less people acting like Grade-A jerks and to have some semblance of rationality. That doesn't sound unreasonable, no? Besides, I don't care if I do/don't get to a higher tier, as the rating doesn't matter when those types of players populate across the spectrum.

I mean, when I joined my Diamond-rated friends for some comp, here's a sampling of some of the assholes I had to deal with.

For example:

ME: "Hey, guys. Is anyone here good with D.Va or Winston? We'll need another ta.."
Teammate #1: "I'm throwing. We're going to lose, all because we have a Hanzo."
Me: "Ummm, the match hasn't even started yet, and this guy has a good win rate with that character."
Hanzo Player: "Yeah, man. Cut me some slack. Besides, if you aren't comfortable with me playing Hanzo, I can switch to D.Va, as I'm pretty goo...."
Teammate #1: "I'm throwing the game. You're a fag for playing competitive."
Hanzo Player: "Well, I'm sorry you feel that way." *Switches to D.Va* "Anyway, let's do our best."
Teammate #1: Not that it matters. This is my alt. account. *Leaves Game*

Or this one:

Me: "Hey, guys. How are things?"
Teammate #2: "Could Blues get off of Zarya? He needs to get off of that dyke."
Me: "Sure, you can play Zarya. I'll go Winston."
Teammate #2: "Whatever, ass munch."
Me: "....Alright."

*match proceeds, we did well, but the toxic player was doing horrible as Zarya, proceeds to gets off Zarya and I switch back to her. Meanwhile, said toxic player continues to lash out against me and talks a lot of shit for "sucking" as Zarya. Were winning 4-2, we're now on defense*

Teammate #2: "Could EvasiveBubbleButt get off Soldier? Fucking hell, you were throwing the match, you stupid fucker."
Soldier 76 player: "...."
Teammate #2: "OH MY GOD, GET OFF SOLDIER, YOU FUCKING INBRED REDNECK. I'M GOING TO THROW IF YOU DON'T SWITCH TO SOMETHING ELSE. MOTHER FUCKING PIECE OF SH...."
Soldier 76 player: "Hey, man. Yeah, you can play Soldier. I'll switch to Zen if there is a Pharah."
Teammate #2: "You're a girl? H-O-L-Y SHIT, no wonder why we were losing the game."
Me: "Yeah, not touching that one."
Soldier 76 Player: "Taken the words right out of my mouth, man."
Teammate 2: "Yeah, better you stay silent, you ugly little troll."

*Toxic player continues to verbally harass the Soldier 76 player for the mistakes (and ONLY the mistakes) she made, which were far and few between. She continues to ignore him until the following exchange happened*

Teammate #2: "Guys, I'm glad we were able to win, 'Cause Blues and Evasive were throwing the game."
Me: *stays silent*
Teammate #3: "Dude, it sounds like you're tilting. Maybe you should take five?"
Teammate #2: "Yeah, and maybe Evasive could give me a blow job? 'Cause I'll return the favour?"
Soldier 76 player: "Save your breath, dickweed. You'll probably need it to blow up your next date."

Anyway, my original point still stands, regardless.

Was playing comp solo on friday night got grouped up with some cool dudes on mic, we form up a 6 stack and go on like an 8 game win streak.

We were all so happy and clicked very well together as a team.

We all grouped up again on saturday night and it was an unmitigated disaster. We lost 6 games in a row and one of the guys ended up leaving our group midmatch which was nice.

Was playing comp solo on friday night got grouped up with some cool dudes on mic, we form up a 6 stack and go on like an 8 game win streak.

We were all so happy and clicked very well together as a team.

We all grouped up again on saturday night and it was an unmitigated disaster. We lost 6 games in a row and one of the guys ended up leaving our group midmatch which was nice.
What was your SR gain?

ME: "Hey, guys. Is anyone here good with D.Va or Winston? We'll need another ta.."
Teammate #1: "I'm throwing. We're going to lose, all because we have a Hanzo."
Me: "Ummm, the match hasn't even started yet, and this guy has a good win rate with that character."
Hanzo Player: "Yeah, man. Cut me some slack. Besides, if you aren't comfortable with me playing Hanzo, I can switch to D.Va, as I'm pretty goo...."
Teammate #1: "I'm throwing the game. You're a fag for playing competitive."
Hanzo Player: "Well, I'm sorry you feel that way." *Switches to D.Va* "Anyway, let's do our best."
Teammate #1: Not that it matters. This is my alt. account. *Leaves Game*

This happens way too much, true.

Soldier 76 player: "Hey, man. Yeah, you can play Soldier. I'll switch to Zen if there is a Pharah."
Teammate #2: "You're a girl? H-O-L-Y SHIT, no wonder why we were losing the game."
Me: "Yeah, not touching that one."
Soldier 76 Player: "Taken the words right out of my mouth, man."
Teammate 2: "Yeah, better you stay silent, you ugly little troll."

*Toxic player continues to verbally harass the Soldier 76 player for the mistakes (and ONLY the mistakes) she made, which were far and few between.

I do not stay silent when stuff like this happens. I call that shit out and either make the asshole shut up or get everyone to mute his ass so we can play like normal human beings.

Moonkid

I've been playing a couple competitive games as a study break and I've had remarkable success with nay a toxic player or leaver on my team, feels bad reading all these terrible experiences :c

Fuck man. I already don't talk but I think it would be even better just to mute chat. However it's hard to think about how someone could be talking trash about you without you knowing.

I've been playing a couple competitive games as a study break and I've had remarkable success with nay a toxic player or leaver on my team, feels bad reading all these terrible experiences :c
I've had people complain at me in high elo for being a one trick Mercy main. I just mute 'em. Solves the issue.

exYle

Teammate #2: "Yeah, and maybe Evasive could give me a blow job? 'Cause I'll return the favour?"
Soldier 76 player: "Save your breath, dickweed. You’ll probably need it to blow up your next date."

Anyway, my original point still stands, regardless.

67c.gif

After over 400 hours of quick play and arcade I am finally trying out competitive. I got put in platinum (~2700) after placements and so far I've found my teammates and opposition to be far less salty than the people I've meet in QP. Everyone's actually been quite nice and helpful, so now I just need to not be so shy and use my mic more often ._.

After over 400 hours of quick play and arcade I am finally trying out competitive. I got put in platinum (~2700) after placements and so far I've found my teammates and opposition to be far less salty than the people I've meet in QP. Everyone's actually been quite nice and helpful, so now I just need to not be so shy and use my mic more often ._.
Communicating just basic call outs will help you out in the long run if you want to avoid using your mic. Shouting out who to target focus, Roadhog no hook, Ana no grenade, [Hero] purple, etc.

Good luck!

Moonkid

Which platform are ya Goose?
I've had people complain at me in high elo for being a one trick Mercy main. I just mute 'em. Solves the issue.
Yeah I go for that if need be, but honestly most of the time my experiences have been pretty good. I'm the 5% of the playerbase that doesn't have to deal with nonsense one in every three or five games. Seems kinda silly to complain that you have a great support on your team too :p

Blues1990

I do not stay silent when stuff like this happens. I call that shit out and either make the asshole shut up or get everyone to mute his ass so we can play like normal human beings.

I rarely try to give the heckler (or anyone who's a disruptive player) any ammunition to fire back with, and it's best for the airhead to run his mouth off (or ignore him) until he grows tired or bored, whichever comes first.

With that said, I always report those kinds of players, so that I (or anyone, for that matter) won't have to deal with them in the future.

gotoadgo

I had the most toxic game I think I've ever had last night as Sombra(of course). We almost capped point B on Hanamura(which is pretty good usually) and capped point A on the back of an EMP, and are now on defense. I stay on Sombra for defense as I know her potential on 2CP defense. My team, however, did not.

I was basically abused for the entirety of the defense despite having all the major packs hacked at all times, hacking people like crazy and also getting kills. The amount of times an enemy ran for a health pack and had none to use was crazy, and a lot of kills were confirmed because of this. Every push they made I had EMP and used it to pretty good effect, but still, the abuse continued. A Roadhog player called me out because he had gold eliminations and I didn't, and they told me I had no idea how Sombra worked and that I wasn't playing to win.

Despite all this, WE WERE WINNING. This should tell you all you need to know about this community, when a team is winning and is STILL this toxic toward someone. I was promptly told to enjoy staying in silver(yes, they pulled rank on me even though they were all gold at best. In my opinion everyone at this level needs a lot of work) and that they carried me to victory.

I hope you have a deflect, or a hook or something cuz if I find you with my junkrat you're getting a nade into a remote nade into your face faster then you can blink FRIEND.

ISOM

I had the most toxic game I think I've ever had last night as Sombra(of course). We almost capped point B on Hanamura(which is pretty good usually) and capped point A on the back of an EMP, and are now on defense. I stay on Sombra for defense as I know her potential on 2CP defense. My team, however, did not.

I was basically abused for the entirety of the defense despite having all the major packs hacked at all times, hacking people like crazy and also getting kills. The amount of times an enemy ran for a health pack and had none to use was crazy, and a lot of kills were confirmed because of this. Every push they made I had EMP and used it to pretty good effect, but still, the abuse continued. A Roadhog player called me out because he had gold eliminations and I didn't, and they told me I had no idea how Sombra worked and that I wasn't playing to win.

Despite all this, WE WERE WINNING. This should tell you all you need to know about this community, when a team is winning and is STILL this toxic toward someone. I was promptly told to enjoy staying in silver(yes, they pulled rank on me even though they were all gold at best. In my opinion everyone at this level needs a lot of work) and that they carried me to victory.

Same thing happened when I played Hanzo except I switched eventually and still got abuse hurled towards me. This is in plat too so it doesn't get better.

hypernima

Banned

Sorry you had to go through that. People just need someone to release anger on.

Yeah I go for that if need be, but honestly most of the time my experiences have been pretty good. I'm the 5% of the playerbase that doesn't have to deal with nonsense one in every three or five games. Seems kinda silly to complain that you have a great support on your team too :p

I just can't play anything else at high level of play. Lucio is usually my second pick for supports. I basically killed myself playing only Mercy.

Not bad! Keep on climbing!

Top Bottom